Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East Coast Cookout 2006
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
firstknight13
aktion035.gif biggrin.gif driving.gif i'll be there!!!!! see you all there mueba.gif rocking nana.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(porsche914blue @ Sep 14 2006, 08:31 PM) *

This is where the turn off from Old Yates Ford to Henderson is, ignore the curly-ques, they're just for effect.

They might be kind of fun to try in a 914, actually...
Moneypit
Looks like i've got a ride with Type47, So i'll se y'all there!
Kerrys914
driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif drooley.gif

McD's at Exit 133 it is.

The following people are meating at Exit 133 (9:45'ish);
Kerrys914
ws91420
JPB (work truck)

The following people are meeting the above at Exit 160 (10:30'ish)??
None

My wife will be coming up in the Support JEEP so we should be able to provide aid to any 914 in distress welder.gif
Kerrys914
That is so nice of Jim to drive out to Phoenix to get you smile.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Sep 15 2006, 09:00 AM) *

The following people are meeting the above at Exit 160 (10:00'ish)??
Type47
Porscheblue??
Justin Fisher ??
Vacca Rabite

No. I (vacca rabite) am going directly to the cookout. Do not wait for me.

Zach
Kerrys914
Updated the list
type47
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Sep 15 2006, 05:00 AM) *

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif drooley.gif

The following people are meeting the above at Exit 160 (10:00'ish)??
Type47
Porscheblue??
Justin Fisher ??

drop me, type47, as i will be picking up at vienna metro

i think justin fischer is planning on meeting you, last i read.

yes, yates ford rd and route from there to site would be great to take in a 914, just be cautious, there are some sharp, blind curves. no, there may not be "stop signs just over the hill", but plenty of opportunites to get into trouble.
Kerrys914
List updated.

I think we will just head up to Exit 160 and not do the Yates Ford rd. I have been told the drive on Rt123 is very nice too.

Anyone else going to join us?
JmuRiz
Rt 123 was nice, before all the development there, but it's better than highway. Granted I've seen 123 from a 1-lane-each-way road from fairfax city to I-95 to it's current state. I guess everywhere has had a lot of change in 20 years though.

Can't wait to get to the house Saturday.
Count me in! Will be heading out from Ashburn so taking 28 to the nice twisties on Clinton RD. 11 am? The 914 is in NH, but will be bringing my air cooled ride.

Bill Jay
95 993
jtf914
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Sep 15 2006, 10:46 AM) *

List updated.

I think we will just head up to Exit 160 and not do the Yates Ford rd. I have been told the drive on Rt123 is very nice too.

Anyone else going to join us?

I love a good 914 caravan, but I think it's torture to have you guys stop in Fredericksburg, and then again at 160 just to meet a couple more of us. I'll just take my time getting there, on clifton/henderson/hampton road. Maybe I'll see 1973914 in his 993. Hey Bill, can you bring my jack adapter plate with you? Thanks.

-Justin
Kerrys914
Yes.. Bring the adapter plate so I can check it out and take some detailed scaled photos welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif ph34r.gif
I can definitely bring the adapter! Anyone coming from Ashburn way that wants to go? Or a place to meet up? Need to be legitimate and at least come WITH 914s biggrin.gif
jtf914
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Sep 15 2006, 01:27 PM) *

Yes.. Bring the adapter plate so I can check it out and take some detailed scaled photos welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif ph34r.gif

You can borrow it if you don't mind shipping it back to me beerchug.gif

Anyway, once you get of 95 at exit 160 you're only about 15-20 minutes to the ECC location.

-Justin
Marlow
I'm going to try to meet you guys on Yates Ford Road but don't wait for me.

Do you still plan on leaving exit 160 at 10:30? That will give me a general idea what time you'll be at Yates Ford.
Kerrys914
Okay I haven't heard from many so this is the route I am taking

Exit 133 @ leave as close to 9:45 as I can.
Exit 160 @/by 10:30 leave after about a 5 min wait

ECC by 11:00am

I will not be going the Yates Ford (exit 152) route due to time and some info on the route (Maybe on the way home) I am going to take 160.

JPB
See yall at exit 133 with the real roadside assistance vehicle, company truck, since the teener is still at the paint shop.

beer.gif 9:30ish
Kerrys914
All packed up blink.gif

See you guys at the ECC. I'll be on the road at 8:00am in the 914-6 and the wife to follow in the support JEEP soon after driving.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif piratenanner.gif

Moneypit
Gah, i wish my car was here ssssoooooo bbbbaaaddddd. Grrrr. I have a lot to discuss at the meet, as i'm still on the fence about paint and bumpers and stuff. hopefull seeing others rides will help make my decision.
VaccaRabite
ECC Kicked ass! Thanks to Kerry for putting everyhting together and Caroline and Alan for hosting. This was my first 914 meet, and after seeing my car on jackstands for a year, it really was nice to see all the cars running - even if running on life support for a few of them. smile.gif I wish that my finace could have been there to see that people actually do DRIVE 914s, not just take them apart and creat masses of dust in the garage with them. I think that somenone said that there were 19 cars at one point.

When the party moved on to the ice-cream parlor, it was very cool to watch. LOTS of noise, smoke, the occational hard starting car. ROOT actually started his car by drifting it backwards down the hill, as his battery was dead. laugh.gif Root, your car looks BADASSED!

I did not end up getting home till around 1am after dropping Mike off at his abode. The weather all day was, well, it was weather. Kinda dark and drizzly weather that finally cleared out right as the party was breaking up. Which, then turned into lots of fog as we got back into PA.

I took a ton of pictures, but many of them did not turn out as well as I had hoped. I was using a new polarizing filter on my wide angle lens, and it needs a bit more light then the sky was going to allow to really work its magic. Tomorrow I'll post them all on my Flickr.com account.

Tired.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Some ECC pics ( I lied, and just put them on line.) beer.gif

These arn't my best work, to be sure. Given the weather I probably should not have used the polarizer, but I really wanted to try it out. Its killer on sunny days, but not all that great on overcast ones, I guess. Eh, live and learn.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This car (Joel's?) made me smile. I am not sure why it stood out to me, but I dug it.

IPB Image
Quick! Rain! It looks like its night here. Its not. Not sure whats going on, aside from the fact that it had just started raining.

My flicker account is complaining that I have too many pics loaded on. I'll have to empty some out to make room, or upgrade to the (non-CSOB) professional account. But right now I am too freak'n tired to deal with it.

Had a killer time today.

OH! One more thing...
Camp914, thanks for the driving lights I won! WOOT!
Zach
jimkelly
Thanks to all for a wonderfull ECC - especially Caroline and Allen.

Zach nice pics - especially the group shot from the balcony : )

Here is the link for Stoddard ...
http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayca...p;cat=914+Parts

Link for Terry Mason ...
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=502

Pics of the cars at the ice cream shop.

I need a V8 : )
JPB
Her ya go, nice cars peeps.
JPB
Thanks to our hosts and all those who made this a great event!

I'd like to thank the tirelss efforts of Dr, Evil who made this HUGE statement, "I just want to put as many east coast 914s on the road as I can." It was humbling to see him all greased up working hard at his evil craft. smilie_pokal.gif He's the one with the surgical gloves.
root
Thanks to ALL ... Good People, Awesome Teeners, and a Great Day.
Caroline and Alan you guys are the best... plenty 'O grub and drink, beautiful home...
THANK YOU.
Babydoll
Hey Gang,

Who says those aren't great pics? pray.gif Thanks for posting them! And you are all most welcome, we had a wonderful time and consider it a privilege to have hosted this event. Cudos to Kerry for setting it all up, and being the Master of Ceremonies. piratenanner.gif Hope you all got home safe and well-fed. jsharp.gif
Kerry, Babydoll runs even better than before, thanks to her no-point conversion (sorry she was ornery when you were installing it, I think she likes your touch mrs.K.gif . And thanks for diagnosing the vacuum leaks, I'll get on that.
I'm already looking forward to next year... and any evil stories and tech sessions before then. happy11.gif Dr. Evil, thanks for diagnosing my tranny, and I hope you didn't ache too much from lying around on cement without the aid of beer. beer3.gif

It was truly a treat to see so many of our crazy little cars, and our equally crazy drivers. Can't wait to see you guys again...

Caroline
zymurgist
Many thaks to Alan and Caroline for hosting the shindig, and for providing the awesome barbecue! I'm as much a a BBQ hound as a beer swilling Ace Mechanic.

Thanks also to Kerry for beating the bushes for the giveaways!

Sorry I missed the last group.. when Chris and I got back from checking out hte 9014, we were told that we "just missed you." Must have headed out by the ice cream shop, whilst we came back via I-95 and Hampton Road.

No pictures from me as my camera is busted.
root
I think I left my tranny torque'in tool on the show'en tell table.
If Evil took it he can keep it, as long as he promises to put it to good use.
However, if it's still at your abode Caroline please let me know.
It'll give me a good reason to ride the Clifton curvies again and
come out to pick it up! driving.gif
Babydoll
QUOTE(root @ Sep 17 2006, 07:22 AM) *

I think I left my tranny torque'in tool on the show'en tell table.
If Evil took it he can keep it, as long as he promises to put it to good use.
However, if it's still at your abode Caroline please let me know.
It'll give me a good reason to ride the Clifton curvies again and
come out to pick it up! driving.gif

Wow - well, at the risk of sounding like a moron, there were just two things left behind... a red and white child's ball (Jimmy's?) and a big black clunky thing, a little bigger than a starter... has a wheel on one end. That's not the tool, is it? blink.gif
Moneypit
Very glad i got to go. Thanks to Jim (type 47) for giiving me the ride there and back, To the hosts Caroline and Alan for food and space to cram as many cars into as possible, Kerry for organizing, and of course everyone for going..... now i HAVE to get my car out here, so when asked which is mine, i don't have to explain how its in Phoenix biggrin.gif

I still have one dillema...... I DONT KNOW WHAT COLOR TO PAINT MY CCCAARRRR!!!!! or what bumpers to use......

got a few pics on my phone, lets see if they work...

IPB Image
DR Evil hard at work, complete with crowd.

IPB Image
Driveway full of 914's

IPB Image
Babydoll gettin new crane ignition
root
The tool is a black square tube with white hockey tape on one end and a 901 slider gear welded to the other end. Looks a little like a modern day cladiator weapon! welder.gif boldblue.gif
VaccaRabite
I got my www.flickr.com account in order.
Go here to see the pics. Click on ECC 2006

Some of them are just refernce pics for me, some of them are nice, some not as much.

Here is a little composit of all the pics on the page. If anyone wants the full versions, please send me a PM and I will send the full version to you. They have not been processed in Photoshop, but the full pic are better then film qualty if you want to have them printed.

If Kerry and Caroline/Alan PM me thier addresses, I'll mail them a cd with all the pics on them in full size.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(root @ Sep 17 2006, 12:31 PM) *

The tool is a black square tube with white hockey tape on one end and a 901 slider gear welded to the other end. Looks a little like a modern day cladiator weapon! welder.gif boldblue.gif

Dr. Evil has it.

Zach
JPB
QUOTE(Moneypit @ Sep 17 2006, 11:58 AM) *

Very glad i got to go. Thanks to Jim (type 47) for giiving me the ride there and back, To the hosts Caroline and Alan for food and space to cram as many cars into as possible, Kerry for organizing, and of course everyone for going..... now i HAVE to get my car out here, so when asked which is mine, i don't have to explain how its in Phoenix biggrin.gif

I still have one dillema...... I DONT KNOW WHAT COLOR TO PAINT MY CCCAARRRR!!!!! or what bumpers to use......

got a few pics on my phone, lets see if they work...

IPB Image
DR Evil hard at work, complete with crowd.

IPB Image
Driveway full of 914's

IPB Image
Babydoll gettin new crane ignition

Hey bud. If ya wanna know what color got the most attention, it was Joel's ice blue car followed second by blacky the flat black one. All the ladies that I spoke to loved that light metalic blue and it really was sweet according to my taste. I like the maintanence free thing of the flat black one as well as the huge meats on the rims. As for the bumpers, its nice to shed a few pounds with FG ones and smaller the rear one the better but thats just me. The front one is all function as well as looks. If performance and a front oil cooler is in the works, then you have to take that into account as well as keeping the air from going under the chassy for speed. There are lots of pics in the member's car pics thread and I'm certain many parts in member's garage which are available at a discount.

beer.gif Have fun with it bro.

jimkelly
That's funny - Rod/Root told me if you dip it in a bucket of soapy water it makes great bubbles - hum : )

the aka:tool doubles as a martial arts weapon but I suggest Evil protect his bad ass self from his self taught kung fu moves by wearing helmut : )

I juts put a downpayment on a 350 SBC V8 from a 1969 4spd Camaro I just test drove - shit - chirpping tires by accident felt nice - and best part is that it is estimated to have about 320HPs - what ever that means : )
ws91420
Ball is not Jimmy's but we had a great time and appreciated the hospitality. We need to get a NoVA breakfast or dinner thing started.
Marlow
This was the first event I've attended and I had a great time meeting and talking to everyone. Thanks again to Kerry, Alan, & Caroline, for setting up and hosting the event. Excellent job and great food!!

I was actually surprised to hear so many positive comments about the color of my 914. From some of the posts on the forum I had gotten the idea that some of the blues weren't very well liked by club members, I assumed mine was one of them. I was quite happy to hear all the good comments. I had an RX-7 in almost the exact same color and loved it. I need to fix my hood though, can't stand that it doesn't fit flush on one side. To anyone interested, it is Marathon Blue Metallic, code L96M.

Great pictures Zach!

Caroline, could that be the used alternator?
ChrisFoley
It looks like you guys had a great event! I thought serously about riding down with Ray Gonsalves but really couldn't spare the 24 hours. A new 914 customer was at my shop 'til afternoon yesterday while I finished up the week's work on his car so he could drive it home.
Ray, how was the trip? Uneventful I hope. You've had enough problems with your car recently. It looks like you were an integral part of the tech session there. Did it shift a lot better on the way home?
Dr Evil
Rays car:
-Cup bushing at end of shift rod - gone - replaced
- 1st gear - critical/worn parts
- 2nd gear - critical/warn parts
- Front tranny seal leaking = saturated clutch disk = slipping, and glazing of both flywheel and pressure plate. Ray and Sean cleaned and deglazed both. I replaced the clutch disk and front tranny seal afterwards.

At the end he had no tranny leaks, he could find 1st, and the clutch was working correctly. He still needs a rebuild on his tranny, though.

Caroline and Alan, you are two increadibly awsome people. I honestly just liked hanging out with the two of you. I wish I lived closer. Thank you for hosting the event and allowing me to work on Ray's car in your driveway.

Kerry, as always thanks for doing all of the work to make this happen.

It was great to meet many of you (I didnt meet all of you). I am pleasantly supprised at how many great people we have in our reagion. I am lucky to know all of you.

Special thanks to Zach for driving driving me to the event and all the way home adding two hours to your trip. This allowed Noel to use our only functioning car yesterday, allowed me to go to the ECC, allowed me to come home with the tranny to be rebuilt, and allowed me to get to know you a lot more. Your one cool dude thumb3d.gif

This was by far one of my favorite events ever, even though I was working the whole time wink.gif
Babydoll
[...
Caroline, could that be the used alternator?
[/quote]

cool.gif That's it, it's a used alternator! What shall I do with it?
hberwald
Wow! sounds like fun was had by all... sorry I had to miss it. I really really wanted to go...of course my car isn't finished yet...

I will make one of these events someday...glad you all enjoyed it..
Marlow
I believe it was one of the donated give-away items . . . I'd say if no one claims it, you've got a (hopefully) good used spare alternator! smile.gif

You could always make an artsy lazy-Susan out of it!!
wit61
This was also my first ECC event. Thanks to Kerry and our gracious hosts. It was great meeting everyone and seeing some awesome cars. I look forward to the next one....
Moneypit
Just got word from james at JWest. My stuff's (rennshift, nylon engine bar mounts, new trunk hinges) all packed up an ready to ship. one step closer to gettin mine here for the next round of 914 Shenanigans.

Dr.Evil: I'll have to talk to my folks and see about what condition that transmissions in, maybe it can come up when the car comes out here thumb3d.gif
MikeSpraggi
This was absolutely a great event! A lot of work went in to making it the success that it was .... thank you Kerry ... excellent MC'ing skills. Also a big thanks to Caroline and Alan for being such gracious hosts. And finally, a really big thanks to all the teeners that showed up, some put in a lot of miles to get there.

My first event but certainly not my last. It felt like .... well, kinda like coming home. What with all of those odd looking cars produced 30 some odd years ago all together. Once you got there, you knew you belonged. Just a great group of guys and gals. Thank y'all kindly.
cooltimes
Thanks for sharing the fun and photos.
Now can anyone tell me?
What color is the 1973 914 with Virginia Plates, PSW-648.
I am color blind. Looks grey to me but so do red, yellow and all other colors. smile.gif

MikeCool
Moneypit
It was a dark grey metalic color, not sure if it was original color or not. he's also got a 9014 that we should be putting a motor into in a few weeks hopefully.....
cooltimes
QUOTE(Moneypit @ Sep 17 2006, 05:00 PM) *

It was a dark grey metalic color, not sure if it was original color or not. he's also got a 9014 that we should be putting a motor into in a few weeks hopefully.....

Thanks.
My color perception must be getting better.
firstknight13
biggrin.gif ok well first i would like to thank caroline and allen for hosting the event and letting evil do his thing!!! i would like to thank everyone who attended as it wouldn't have gone without. yes it would have been great to have racerchris at the event to answer 'q's... yes i had an eventfull week prior to the picnic. they say bad things happen in 3's.. first i lost the clutch cable driving on a on ramp in heavy traffic... fixed it then while jacking it up to adjust the cable the jack post collapsed into the car and sad.gif .. went to get gas at station and bottomed out on the ground pump filler.. took out the motor mount bolt, it ripped right out.. fixed it so i knew i wouldn't have problems going down to the picnic. i was a 8 hr. ride and it was uneventful until i lost 1 gear... some of the hills in va are not condusive to slipping clutches mad.gif .. but i did make it in the driveway to a reserved space up front at caroline and allens.. by the way they have a big enough house to host the whole 914 club and we could have pizza from the pro pizza oven in their kitchen chowtime.gif ... as you saw the car went up on jackstands and thats where it stayed ALL day.. we got done at 8 and after i test drove it and a few adjustments we were on the road!!! THANKS to DR. EVIL!!!!!!!!!!! he is the man and proved to be a wealth of information to us all who listened.... driving home driving.gif was a lot more fun than incoming... i was doing way over the speed limit .. no tickets or problems... yes i have 1,2,3,4,5 it will be better when i get the full tranny rebuild from the DR. .... it was really great to meet the faces of 914... hope to see ALL again soon!!!!!! biggrin.gif clap56.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.