Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simple and Cheap wheel stud solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
TROJANMAN
paul, please don't make me wait until next week. is it one or two? chairfall.gif
Howard
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 18 2006, 08:32 AM) *

paul, please don't make me wait until next week. is it one or two? chairfall.gif

High speed tracks: 2 coats. The c/d reduction at the very high speeds the 914 can produce can add as much as .8 mph on long straights.

Short tracks/AX: Not worth the weight penalty. blink.gif
Eric_Shea
you wouldnt use a basic hex head bolt would you?

If it was $0.99 cheaper he would lol3.gif

Geez Trek, you sure do argue some weird points. Even to post pictures of all your chewed up wheels. Cap'n is right.

Invest in a set of proper lug nuts.

The studs seem fine to me. As long as you have enough engagement. You obvioulsy don't want the 3 turns Z was talking about but I don't see anything cheezy about the studs.

I think it would be a cool solution for 5-lug conversions vs. spot facing 4mm off the back of the hub off just to get a press in to sit right. You could screw them in and then rosette weld them from the backside (starting at the top and center of the stud and filling the hole). The only problem with that is... they're on there for life. You screw up a thread, break or bend one and your boned. idea.gif

Probably around $30 clams for some nuts.
Trekkor
I have a nice set of front rotors, new seals and bearings already.

I need to press studs into these.
Then replace the rear wheel bearings and press into the hubs.

I have correct lug bolts on loan for the time being.

I'll return the studs to Stasis on friday between sessions.

Whose got a good source for really good press in studs?...

KT
Aaron Cox
VERBUS is the OEM stud for porsche... call GPR etc....

good stuff. not cheap. Ury mentioned moroso and ARP studs.....

should have you covered
SirAndy
154 posts? ohmy.gif

can we let this thread die please?

guys, if you haven't noticed by now, trekkor will *never* listen to you,
no matter how hard you try.
ph34r.gif

bye1.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
I have to go pee.

B
Trekkor
Brad, you say that at the end of *every* phone conversation we have ever had... unsure.gif

"night of the living thread" vampire.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
it is still daytime.

I. P. Freely
Brad Roberts
I drink a lot of liquids. Keep's my prostate working well.

Ever seen me drink ice tea?

Are we off topic yet?

B
eeyore
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 18 2006, 03:38 PM) *

Are we off topic yet?

Nope. The discussion is still related to studs and nuts...
McMark
av-943.gif Nice one Mark. wink.gif
Trekkor
I returned the parts today.

All the race team's cars were back in the shop.
They *all* use these. *every* car in this shop, track and street, has them. I feel kinda stupid. They obviously work.

KT

DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 21 2006, 08:36 PM) *

I returned the parts today.

All the race team's cars were back in the shop.
They *all* use these. *every* car in this shop, track and street, has them. I feel kinda stupid. They obviously work.

KT

slap.gif popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif
URY914
After all this I hope when you run your next a/x nutin' bad happens. sad.gif

driving.gif
pete-stevers
"nutin" and i mean nutin....
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 17 2006, 08:59 PM) *

OK...Here I am!

Long hot day today in Sonoma 108°, yow!!

I went to Stasis and asked the sales manager to look ant my Steelie rims.
After showing him the lug I had been using he recommende the cone nut.
I asked to see a ball lug nut for comparison. It was easy to see that neither would *ever* pull through the rim opening.

I took some spy shots of their racecar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

screw in studs!!

I didn't exchange for the ball lugs.

KT

Hey I saw that car yesterday. ...Cant believe I missed this thread.
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif

(the damn thing was five theads down from the top... good thing I caught it) huh.gif
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif

Holy bat-crap... it was all the way to the bottom!

No more trivial torque settings? No more significant stud findings? This can’t be over!! There must be a negligible nut issue… a trifling thread pitch finding or an inconsequential PVC fix for something… confused24.gif

Trek, I tried having you paged at the "Depot". call me.gif

Hurry back! I’m having a thread withdrawal.
nebreitling
guys: trekkor makes a valuable contribution to this community, and he's a damn good fellow.

trekkor is not an expert -- 95% of those posting in this thread aren't experts -- but he would not knowingly put himself or others in danger. trek definitely should not have used nor insisted on the incorrect lug seats, but the problem has been solved.

trekkor gets a hard time for his 'home depot' modifications. while there are things on his car that i definitely don't like and wouldn't do to my own, the majority of such mods are totally benign even if they fail (e.g. air dam, brake ducting). the fact is, trekkor is out there on the track pushing his car, having fun, and being more cautious than most i see.

anyway, i know that 90% of you guys are just joking with him -- and i give him a hard time too! -- but please make it clear in your posts whether you're serious or not. if you have a problem with him, then by all means speak your mind -- but if you're just piling up on him for sport, then please go elsewhere.

as for the screw-in studs, it's true that STaSIS runs them on all of their A4 touring cars. this is a top-notch, highly credible team in the speed world challenge. while that doesn't make those particular studs any better, it certainly begs the question as to their viability.

just my 02, (nomex on)

nathan
DanT
Good post Nathan! clap56.gif
McMark
Trekkor I found eight more bolts if you still need them. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Awesome post Nathan... read my other one and relax. I think the studs are cool. I think Trek is cool.

I think you need a beer beer.gif
lol3.gif

(And yes, that was all typed with tongue firmly planted in cheek in case you can't see through the jest. I was more joking at the length of a stud thread than I was Trekkor)
nebreitling
good idea, eric! i'm gonna pop a steinlager right now smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Steinlager!!! Is that the Kiwi beer?

How much to get a case here? My neighbor is a Kiwi and I owe him one.
nebreitling
yup. great lager... UPS can't be too bad! what could a 12-pack weigh? PM me and i'd be happy to send you out a box...
Trekkor
Yep, I'm just a normal guy trying to have a little fun with my track car.

Thanks Nate!

FYI:
After the first session at Sears we checked the torque on the stock lugs.
Some of them were 1/8 of a turn loose. Most were not.

The 911 guy pitting with me had the same thing with his pressed in studs.

After we retorqued that was it. Prolly related to the first session putting so much heat into to hubs.

I check the torque even more now... unsure.gif

Yes, Mark. I'd like to have those last 8 lugs.

KT
914Mike
Ok, I'm a nummitz! I swapped on my summer wheels last week and mixed up the lug nuts (read: Forgot all about the fact that the winter rims have cone seat inserts, while the summer rims have ball seats...) Didn't remember till I found the box with the ball seat nuts in the garage. I drove two days before I swapped cars. Didn't like the way the brakes felt... Swapped in the ball seats this morning, before it hit 100.

It's funny, the A calipers on my black car don't seem as hard pedal-wise as the M's on the blue car. I took the prop valve out and put in a tee, but the other car WITH the stock prop valve feels better, maybe the master cylinder? Both ar 19mm.

Funnier is the fact that the black car always felt much better than the stock setup on the other car. In swapping the "Stock" 911 calipers for the A's, I found out why: Stock 911 REAR calipers! Thanks Partsheaven! (The struts, calipers and all came to me from Eric Geer, who got them from Mike Mueller, who got them from PH.) Oh and the Fuchs that I got from Eric with the filed out 'slots' required such large steel inserts that they were not available in ball seat or none of this would be necessary...
burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.