Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build your own Combo (904) Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914forme
Again my Sir Andy school of photography is paying off!

Next you need to cover that back woods engineering! If you want the black flat face, mix up a little filler and fill it , and paint it. Or do as I do, use a silver button, and paint it black, I like a profile change, adds a little depth and dimension to the gauge. For this one I needed a silver button, so that is what I did.

In the instructions it says to drill out the silver button. A little tip is the silver button is mounted on a steel rivet. You can gently pry the two apart. Use your fav glue and put it back on. I used Valco HV-350 It will glue about anything to anything, and is paintable if you get messy. Add a dab of glue and hide that screw!

There you go you will not know that screw was there now from the outside. ph34r.gif
914forme
You might want to let that glue dry wheel before butting it up. the glue could outgas and cause a film to be created on the inner glass.

Next you add the intermediate gauge face. then clean the glass or plastic and add that. If-using glass, 100% isoperic (sp?) alcohol will clean it up really nice. Note: I am waiting on the outgas process to complete, but want to finish this post so, my glass is not clean.
914forme
Next you snap the outer ring back onto the Gauge can. I use a brass punch, once done some paint will have flaked off, touch it up, you don't want rust. the rubber mount ring will cover up most of your pro paint job here.

914forme
Thats all except putting it into the dash and wiring it up.

Now I get to go an grab a cold one! beer3.gif piratenanner.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif beerchug.gif
John
Those look great. Almost as nice as mine.

I use the late fuel gauges in mine.
Dave_Darling
Me, too, John. It was easy to use the late fuel gauge; I just transferred the same holes used for the other gauges to the lower location used by the fuel gauge. A bit of tracing paper helped, and of course I stuck it in a drill press to make the actual holes. It was a pretty easy modification of the "early fuel gauge" backplate that I got with my kit.

--DD
PiperSpeed
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 23 2006, 04:48 PM) *

Well here it goes the step by step instructions on how to build one of the kits. Since I helped do the original production run, back in the day, its been about 11 years ago since we did these. But there is interest in it so I will show you how.

Step one, the original kit. It included a gauge face, a backing plate and a ground lug. Also included instructions on how to do this, and some of the items where real PITAs to do. I will included some changes I do, and items that might make the installation a little easier.

Hi Steven,

Do you know where I can get one of these kits ?

Thanks,

Jan
Steve
I bought mine from John.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=58970
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.