Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do we beat TomP at Parade 07 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
URY914
I'm in but I'd have to re-join PCA. I just dropped it a few months ago. confused24.gif

I'm going to run B Mod in the Florida State A/X Championship next month. driving.gif
jhadler
B-Mod?? I thought B-Mod was for formula cars, not modded door slammers. I'm not to sure of the rules in the class, but B-Mod doesn't seem right to me... A-Mod of course, anything goes...

-Josh2
Chris Pincetich
Ummm - is it too early to start a betting pool? Yes it is, but this is getting interesting.
The thing I like about AX most is that a rusty 914 can beat a 928 with 4x the HP. It's about the driver as much as the car.Let me just be the first to say
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 12 2006, 09:28 PM) *

Ummm - is it too early to start a betting pool? Yes it is, but this is getting interesting.
The thing I like about AX most is that a rusty 914 can beat a 928 with 4x the HP. It's about the driver as much as the car.Let me just be the first to say

A Toyota Echo could beat a 928 in an AX.
URY914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 12 2006, 08:09 PM) *

B-Mod?? I thought B-Mod was for formula cars, not modded door slammers. I'm not to sure of the rules in the class, but B-Mod doesn't seem right to me... A-Mod of course, anything goes...

-Josh2

Josh,

I've got fiberglass doors which makes me a 'sports racer'. See below right out of the SCCA rule book. BM is for cars with fenders.

18.2 SPORTS RACING CARS
Non-production cars and production-based dune buggies are
referred to as Sports Racing cars and are assigned to B Modified.
EXCEPTION: Production-based cars prepared in excess of the
Modified Production-based Car rules (18.1) are eligible to participate
as Sports Racers when prepared to the appropriate GCR/SRCS
. B
Modified cars must comply to the current year GCR (except as
noted by the SR, including Appendix A) and the competitor must
indicate on his entry form to which set of specifications the vehicle
was prepared. C Modified cars must conform to the current GCR,
except as noted herein and in Appendix A. The competitor must
have the referenced GCR in his possession during the event.
jhadler
Oh cool!!! I wasn't aware of that. I'm pretty up on the Stock/Street rules, but not the Prep and Mod rules.

Go get 'em!!!!

So I guess XP cars would qualify for BM as well then...

-Josh2
914forme
This car should do it boldblue.gif
J P Stein
The simple answer to this question is "You don't" biggrin.gif

Now, John in his "little white car" has a shot......if he'll take the time to sharpen up his AX skills....or hire "the pro from Dover".

As always, just my opinion and it's mine.....but I gots 50 bux that says I'm right biggrin.gif
drgchapman
agree.gif

I gots $50.00 says Tom P does it again.

Dude is good.

He also has a big wing.
URY914
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Oct 14 2006, 07:41 AM) *

agree.gif

He also has a big wing.

911 guys have small wings. smile.gif

J P Stein
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:41 PM) *

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Oct 14 2006, 07:41 AM) *

agree.gif

He also has a big wing.

911 guys have small wings. smile.gif

Yes, this is true.........but Tom has a BIG wing and a 914. biggrin.gif
I'd scan in a pic of his car from the latest Pano, but I took the rag to work.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 14 2006, 05:41 PM) *

IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 14 2006, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 14 2006, 05:41 PM) *

IPB Image

Grant, I remember this I think... Marina? Tom had to come to almost a complete stop at the end before the timer to get around the corner and still was fast... Sandy did have to stop and back up at least once to get through without cone death.
nebreitling
i'd love to see that car rip up the hoopa hillclimb.
J P Stein
Hummm........this gets me to thinkin'. idea.gif

There's a shop in Portland that does a lot of biddness with the sprint car guys. I gots just the spot for one bout twice that size. biggrin.gif

Me thinks my windshield is toast. Where's that effin' rule book?....this could get ugly w00t.gif
URY914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 14 2006, 07:17 PM) *

There's a shop in Portland that does a lot of biddness with the sprint car guys. I gots just the spot for one bout twice that size. biggrin.gif

Me thinks my windshield is toast. Where's that effin' rule book?....this could get ugly w00t.gif

I got a friend that owns a winged sprinter. Don't thank I haven't asked him about gettin' me a wing. happy11.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 14 2006, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 14 2006, 07:17 PM) *

I got a friend that owns a winged sprinter. Don't thank I haven't asked him about gettin' me a wing. happy11.gif

Yes, but your car is already ugly......no offense biggrin.gif
914forme
Would an Outlaw Style Sprint Car Wing work better?????? they could be placed closer to the center and provide downforce to the front and rear at teh same time it is all about balance. Just add an upright to the other side. And some extra downforce Out front. Them are big wings boys, make Provisi look like a balsa wood aeroplane toy.
Rough_Rider
Tom's wing isn't likely to add any downforce untill above at least 50mph, it just doesn't generate enough low pressure at low speeds. See formula FSAE cars for low speed wings. Double upto quadruple deck monsters, they stall out above 80mph.
The spoiler on the other hand....

Randal
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 15 2006, 09:34 PM) *

Tom's wing isn't likely to add any downforce untill above at least 50mph, it just doesn't generate enough low pressure at low speeds. See formula FSAE cars for low speed wings. Double upto quadruple deck monsters, they stall out above 80mph.

grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 16 2006, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 15 2006, 09:34 PM) *

So could you throw a T4 engine and 901 tranny in one of these and call it a Porsche under PCA rules? biggrin.gif

IPB Image
914forme
PCA PCRs Car Definitions.

"THOROUGHBRED RACERS

A thoroughbred racer is a factory-built race
car based on a non-production automobile
platform, designed for and fitted with a
Porsche engine. The following are
examples of thoroughbred racers: Glockler-
Porsche, 550, 718 coupe and spyder, F1, F2,
Elva Porsche/4 & /6, Abarth Carrera, 904/4
& 904/6, 906, 907, 908, 910, 917, 936, 956,
962, GT1. be automobiles that would compete in the
current Modified Category autocross
structure. "

In case you are wondering the only things you are not allowed to do in a Modified class is, Factory Option X53 (Cayenne Power), and
Nitrogen Bearing Fuels. So sorry no Nitro Methane for you guys. biggrin.gif

So any homebuilt car is not allowed, that rules out the FSAE crowd, and this A Mod that runs in our area.

Did get to see Derek Bell run a 936 through the cones in Boston, he was fast for seeing the course for 3 seconds on a piece of paper. Matter of fact he was smoking fast!!!!!
Brad Roberts
It would be much cheaper for me to pay Otto's entry fee..LOL

We will see.

It would be fun to drag down all the big guns.

Maybe we can help Paul offset his fuel costs for getting here and back to FL (the 914Club)

B
URY914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 16 2006, 01:25 PM) *

It would be much cheaper for me to pay Otto's entry fee..LOL

We will see.

It would be fun to drag down all the big guns.

Maybe we can help Paul offset his fuel costs for getting here and back to FL (the 914Club)

B

Now there's a GREAT idea!! clap56.gif I bet I could stay at Club member's houses all the way there. biggrin.gif I'm showng this to my wife (never too early to ask)...
914forme
Yeah I would let you stay biggrin.gif Only adds a few hundred miles onto trip. biggrin.gif
Racer
Um.. it might be easier just to make sure Tom's (and his wife's) "application" gets lost in the mail wink.gif
AndrewBlyholder
[quote name='grantsfo' date='Oct 8 2006, 07:12 PM' post='790557']
[quote name='J P Stein' post='790269' date='Oct 8 2006, 10:07 AM']

Andrew B has actually beaten Tom P' times on actual AX courses in Nor Cal. The Parade event was more like a short road course! So 200 HP would likely even playing field for posuer cross on a road course. biggrin.gif

[/quote]

Thank you, Grant.

I hate to talk smack in such a public forum, but I think the Hamilton Engineering (please don't call it Smurf!) Team isn't getting it due. Since we moved up from Kuhmos to race slicks, I don't think we've lost to Steve N. , and we've beaten both Tom P. and Jeff R. straight up. We don't worry much about making her pretty, but the blue car has taken pretty much anything that's been thrown at it.

Andrew
Brad Roberts
This course will be similar to what was seen at Portland. Typical Qualcommapart events are 1.3 miles. They build a nice balanced track (fast and technical) but HP typically wins.

Can you guy's get down here for ONE event before Parade to see what you are in for?

What would it take to get the truck/trailer/car 2-3 people down here? Moneywise?

I know you can do it, but I dont see much travel with your group (at least I didnt when I was up north)

B
AndrewBlyholder
Well, you're right, we haven't been travelling much. I'm in the middle of getting a new garage built, and due to budget issues, we'll be doing most of the work ourselves, so I've been keeping my racing activites to a minimum.

"Garage" understates the project a bit. It's a two-car sized garage/workshop area for me and a studio area for my wife's jewerly/craft hobbies. 850 sq.ft., radiant heated slab, bathroom, lots of windows for good daylighting, lift for me, etc. Our contractor will hopefully pour the slab next Monday, and then we'll take it over to start framing.

What events would be a good warm up for Parade, and when's Parade? (I've been a PCA member for over 20 years now and never been to a Parade. I'd been thinking that the San Diego one might be a good oppurtunity to finally go to one.)

I have in-laws in Carlsbad, so accommodations in the area are easy. Biggest help would be the loan of a more fuel efficient tow vehicle to get down there. My Ranchero only gets 13 mpg, and I think Lee truck isn't any better.

Andrew
914forme
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 18 2006, 08:03 PM) *

radiant heated slab,

Out of everything on the list this was the best item you could have done.
I wub.gif wub.gif my heated floors.

Pickup a newer GM V8 5.0L 30?, with EFI, change the tranny to a 700R4 or newer, and step up the rear end. Drop them in. It will easily pull the 914 on a steel trailer, and still drop about 19 mpg. With a camper on the back of mine, my inlaws got 16 pulling through the mountains. My wife gets 23 on her commute in it.
Brad Roberts
Andrew,

Rent a truck or an RV.

Carlsbad would be a "trip": running back and forth to the event area. It is about 35min. one way without traffic (which doesnt happen..lol)

We can get you a truck. Randal probably still has one of his 2-3...

I know my friend Jason has two late model Suburbans in San Jose (914 guy)

Damn. I can think of 4-5 914's from SF bay area that should come down..

Paul..

We will start a fund raiser to get you here if you can get the time off and permission from wifey. You have done a lot for this club. I think it would be cool to sponsor a few people to attend this event and represent the club.

B
URY914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 18 2006, 05:14 PM) *

Paul..

We will start a fund raiser to get you here if you can get the time off and permission from wifey. You have done a lot for this club. I think it would be cool to sponsor a few people to attend this event and represent the club.

B

Hell ya, I'll do it! clap56.gif I've already spoken to the wife and she says go for it.
Schedule the WCC around that time and I'll stay for that too.

Thanks Brad.

Paul
grantsfo
If my budget holds out I should have 914 that likely wont be a TTOD car, but it will be nipping everyone's heels. I will plan to go to the Parade next year just for giggles. Given the population of fast 914's in California we have to make a good showing. We need to get Randal in his car to the event too. ..Maybe Bill as co-driver?

I'd be up for co-driver (Nathan?) in my car if somone could help me figure out how to make an adjustable seat that sits on the floor or maybe I can find a fast 6'3" driver.
URY914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 18 2006, 06:34 PM) *

If my budget holds out I should have 914 that likely wont be a TTOD car, but it will be nipping everyone's heels. I will plan to go to the Parade next year just for giggles. Given the population of fast 914's in California we have to make a good showing. We need to get Randal in his car to the event too. ..Maybe Bill as co-driver?

I'd be up for co-driver (Nathan?) in my car if somone could help me figure out how to make an adjustable seat that sits on the floor or maybe I can find a fast 6"3" driver.

I'm 6'3" biggrin.gif
carr914
Paul, Does this mean your rejoining PCA?

T.C.
914forme
I'm 6'3"

But I bring rain to California each time I visit. Oh wait that is just Northern Cali, when I was in SD, it was nice and sunny.

Now fast confused24.gif No 914s ever show up in these parts anymore, I can't compare apples to apples but I do pound on the 911 boys that show up and run in my class.

Other Option get a shorter guy and toss them on the rack, and stretch them out biggrin.gif

Don't forget about the Ladies classes. You all need to start training some faster shoe ladies. I can't even get my wife to auto-x, my daughter could but she would be 14 then, PCA would frown on that.

Would I be sent to jail for getting her a fake drivers license so she could auto-x??????
URY914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 19 2006, 06:23 AM) *

Paul, Does this mean your rejoining PCA?

T.C.

I know, right after if quit the club, I start planning at trip to Parade. screwy.gif

Just my luck they won't take me back... ohmy.gif
AndrewBlyholder
Brad,

Ok, I have the dates on my calendar (July 1-5.) I'll talk to Randall about maybe borrowing a truck to tow with.

Stephen,

I've spent my entire grease monkey life so far working outside, in the driveway, in the dark, in the rain. Having a heated, lit, clean place to work will be sooooo nice! Attached is an elevation of the design.

Andrew
914forme
clap56.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 19 2006, 02:27 PM) *

Brad,

Ok, I have the dates on my calendar (July 1-5.) I'll talk to Randall about maybe borrowing a truck to tow with.

Stephen,

I've spent my entire grease monkey life so far working outside, in the driveway, in the dark, in the rain. Having a heated, lit, clean place to work will be sooooo nice! Attached is an elevation of the design.

Andrew

Andrew,

That looks great! It will be very nice working inside after all those years outside!

Good luck with the build!

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 18 2006, 07:34 PM) *

I'd be up for co-driver (Nathan?) in my car if somone could help me figure out how to make an adjustable seat that sits on the floor or maybe I can find a fast 6'3" driver.

BPR is entertaining running 3 cars at Parade. The Raby powered car (Randal), Fritz (Bill), and the Spec Boxster (Doris). The only issue will be all the gas costs for the tow vehicles. We have two vehicles. We will need three.

Bill P.
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 19 2006, 02:40 PM) *

BPR is entertaining running 3 cars at Parade. The Raby powered car (Randal), Fritz (Bill), and the Spec Boxster (Doris). The only issue will be all the gas costs for the tow vehicles. We have two vehicles. We will need three.

Bill P.

We need a double trailer. smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 19 2006, 02:55 PM) *

Bill P.

Or just get one of these and haul a trailer behind it. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
J P Stein
Bill:
You *need* tiar warmers, ie, second drivers.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 19 2006, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 19 2006, 02:55 PM) *

Bill P.

Or just get one of these and haul a trailer behind it. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

If we could find a good reliable one, like what you showed that would be cool.

An alternative is to use the turbo diesel to tow a double car (flat) trailer ($4-5K) or find a used stacker, the latter being pretty pricy.

Also the stacker trailers are really high, so mileage would be toast.

Wish they did an open stacker trailer. That would use less diesel than the tall enclosed stackers and of course a lot less weight.

Enclosed trailers are better for security.

Options, Options, Options
Britain Smith
FYI, I am trying to talk JP in attending the San Diego Parade, or at least have his car attend parade. I have even offered to trailer the car down. My wife is on board for the visit to the beach. After our poor outing due to tire issues, the Parade up here was just no fun. Just have to wait on the decision from the man...and I am in.

-Britain
Britain Smith
I just read this one the 2007 Parade Website, it is going to be a long day if they plan to get 400 cars through the course.

-Britain

The autocross will take place Wednesday July 4th and be a one day event. Due to the logistics of providing a safe, fun, driving experience, we are limiting participation to 400 drivers. So if you plan on driving, be sure to sign up early! If you will not be driving, you will want to set some time aside to come and watch your favorite cars sliding around the cones. Check the Parade website often, as we will post more detailed information as it becomes available. See you at the track!

URY914
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Oct 23 2006, 09:38 AM) *

I just read this one the 2007 Parade Website, it is going to be a long day if they plan to get 400 cars through the course.

-Britain

The autocross will take place Wednesday July 4th and be a one day event. Due to the logistics of providing a safe, fun, driving experience, we are limiting participation to 400 drivers. So if you plan on driving, be sure to sign up early! If you will not be driving, you will want to set some time aside to come and watch your favorite cars sliding around the cones. Check the Parade website often, as we will post more detailed information as it becomes available. See you at the track!

I guess cars with headlights will be running at night. Or the course will be REAL short.
drgchapman
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Oct 23 2006, 10:38 AM) *

-Britain

Pretty darn optimistic.......run 400 cars in one day. Do the math....
400x60secsx3 runs=21 hours of pure running cars on the clock. Allow 20 seconds overlap between cars and 20 seconds to stage each car, even break. Not to mention the screw up time(timing issues, red flags, reruns, broken cars).

Good luck to 'em.
Britain Smith
Remember, each car gets 3 runs. We had a hard enough time getting that many cars ran in 2 days and we didn't really have many screw-ups.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.