Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 vs. /4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TROJANMAN
I don't know who this JAKE guy is that you keep bashing, but let's do the simple math..............

according to a 914 "God" a fresh 3.0 motor can be had for $4k
That is Dirt cheap

According to a former disenfranchised Big 4 seeker, a big 4 "with all the bells and whistles" runs $18k

hmmmmm idea.gif

The Big 4 has no real proven track record of longevity, yet.

Even if the "used" 3.0 needs a rebuild, It probably has 40-50k miles left in it, and a rebuild will only be $7-9k. Still cheaper than the Big 4, and with a proven record of reliability. Not to mention the fact that the used 6 will probably have 5-6 years of drive time before it needs a rebuild, b/c how many of us (with performance engines) drive our cars more than 10k miles a year.

So.........for my money, I would choose the six.
Do i dislike 4's? Heck no! I just can't afford a bigger one.
If prices and durability were equal.........i'd probably take the 4, but their not

That opinion is worth about 2 pennies smile.gif
MoveQik
I have know idea which one is better. I will say however that after converting my 4 to a 6, I have zero interest in driving a 4. Make of it what you will. burnout.gif
SLITS
I have both, so I'm a 10 ...... the rest of you just plain suck!!!

They are not leaf blowers ..... They are Windsuckers ..... helped win WWII ya know.
Allan
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 10 2006, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 10 2006, 06:22 PM) *

Howie, do you have to take them off when you're wearing a helmet to clear the top? poke.gif

This from the youngster driving the 914/6 in an A/X running 4 seconds behind the old fart in the 996 in drive? With the A/C and stereo on singing 'Hotel California'?

Shame, shame. happy11.gif

So, are you saying that you can keep them on and still fit in the car with a helmet as long as you empty them first? w00t.gif
Joe Bob
You can take the trash out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the trash.....
jwalters
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Nov 11 2006, 10:05 AM) *

Do i dislike 4's? Heck no! I just can't afford a bigger one.

That opinion is worth about 2 pennies smile.gif

This WILL change - -It will be awhile yet, but it HAS been in the works for almost 2 years now in R&D - A four will be a true choice of many vs. a six ----
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 11 2006, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 10 2006, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 10 2006, 06:22 PM) *

Howie, do you have to take them off when you're wearing a helmet to clear the top? poke.gif

This from the youngster driving the 914/6 in an A/X running 4 seconds behind the old fart in the 996 in drive? With the A/C and stereo on singing 'Hotel California'?

Shame, shame. happy11.gif

So, are you saying that you can keep them on and still fit in the car with a helmet as long as you empty them first? w00t.gif

Does he wear them over or under the panty hose?
Brew
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Nov 11 2006, 08:05 AM) *

I don't know who this JAKE guy is that you keep bashing, but let's do the simple math..............

That is Dirt cheap

Getting it for $4k is one thing, installing it in a /4 car is quite another methinks.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Brew @ Nov 11 2006, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Nov 11 2006, 08:05 AM) *

That is Dirt cheap

Getting it for $4k is one thing, installing it in a /4 car is quite another methinks.

Well, according to the "God"
$8k for a small 2.4 six (see the voltron thread) and install is really exspensive, so based on his math, it should be cheap. smile.gif

BTW, when do you want to pick up your stuff? jeff dpesn't need the door. i left you a message yesterday, give me a call.
Brew
Yeah, sorry bout that. Too much drama here yesterday. I'll call you when I get off work.
Howard
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 11 2006, 07:16 AM) *

Does he wear them over or under the panty hose?

I like the support of panty hose, but farting makes my ankles bulge. Maybe I should remove the rear valance for better circulation and cooling.

You 6cyl types keep hijacking this post 'cause you know 4's are better biggrin.gif
JPB
Sir Andy, this had to be asked so the truth would come out and we can speak our minds on power, performance and the money issues of our engine choices. There are many good people out here which won't speak a harsh word about anything and I commend them for their respect. I also commend those who can tactfully use the english language in a way which can ridicule in a playfull way thus achieveing the same result. I for one like to speak entertaining blurbs which may be interpreted as harshness by those who are perpetually stimulating my testicles boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

4,6,8,and for the one who sports a cumulative 10 my answer is symple. This club NEEDS more reliable driving cars. I know we all have our money issues but it also sucks to hear of club members not having a drivable 914. The greatest and most important challenge we will face in the future is getting more of these cars on the road. This club has a great wealth of quality people and infomation which can get anyone well on their way just being here on the site. I can only wish that there will be a continual and more hands on effort as a collective to help others to be more active, involved and ultimately on the road. beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
If I still had a /4 in my car I would be driving it right now dry.gif Switching to a /6 was seductive. More power, I can look down my nose at people, and I am instantly cool I thought. Nope, Now I have an engine that is more of a PITA to work on and far more expensive than I can afford should I, and I suppose I will, break it. My tune will change once it is up and running I am sure and I will be enjoying my new found status until the inevitable breakage...
jwalters
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 11 2006, 11:07 AM) *

If I still had a /4 in my car I would be driving it right now dry.gif Switching to a /6 was seductive. More power, I can look down my nose at people, and I am instantly cool I thought. Nope, Now I have an engine that is more of a PITA to work on and far more expensive than I can afford should I, and I suppose I will, break it. My tune will change once it is up and running I am sure and I will be enjoying my new found status until the inevitable breakage...

Yo Evil - you still in school to be a proctologist or something?? confused24.gif How do you find the time to do all you do, if you do, do, uhh, know whut I mean?

J
Dr Evil
Second year med student. Looking at emergency medicine or family practice at the moment. Not really into rectums, for personal or proffessional use. I really do not find the time to do what I do. this is why my car is still not running and why my other vehicles are broken. No time, no money, no luck. Looking forward to Thanksgiving, X-mas and spring break to fix stuff. All of my free time is reserved for customers at teh moment.
jwalters
biggrin.gif That si kool dude!

Like I have been told I pass on to you -

Be GREAT

IF you cannot be great

Be GREAT at it!

drunk.gif
Trekkor
I'm running my SIX on the track tomorrow...

KT
jwalters
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 11 2006, 03:22 PM) *

I'm running my SIX on the track tomorrow...

KT

Too bad it won't win nuthin - bootyshake.gif

ph34r.gif
iamchappy
Trekkor, I bet you will be bumming when all those 4 bangers start lapping you tomorrow.

I know when I get my 480hp turbo monster running I wont be happy when the type 4's
leave me in the dust....It's amazing how a couple of 100lbs of weight will make a 914 into a complete dog running around a parking lot.
Trekkor
Never will-
I'm not a racer. DE's only.

ph34r.gif silly man

KT
Trekkor
the weight, ah yes....The weight.

FYI a 200# passenger cost's me 1 second at Sears and 1 second on an a/x run.

I can hold my own.
I have done ZERO weight reduction to my car. It still has everything.

At the last a/x for example. I was the fastest street legal 914 in attendance.
*without first gear*.

KT
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 10 2006, 11:31 PM) *

Actually, a Spec Miata is a serious racer that most cannot keep up with.

KT

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif chairfall.gif av-943.gif
Sammy
I' ve logged more miles in a 914/4 than most of the people on this board, at least 80,000 miles and maybe close to 100,000.
Haym, there's an idea for a pole, how many miles have you driven in a 914? We doan have enuff poles.

Much of those miles were in a stock 1.7, some was in a turbo 2,0, some was with a chebby engine. From stock buggy power to big power.

I prefer a six. I knew that the first time I rode in a 914/6. There was no looking back.

BTW, spending $5k to $7k to rebuild a six? Only if it is a total basket case or you take it to a dealer or a ?????.
I went through my 3 liter six for about $1100. Of course it didn't need much besides head studs, everything was near perfect. That should have been expected as it was barely broke in with about 105,000 miles on it.
I took some scotch brite to the cylinder bores to clean em up and that's all they needed.
wbergtho
screw 4's and 6's!!!!!

V8's forever!!!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth! V-8's forever BIATCH's! No numbers matching faggotty underpowered hermetically sealed musuem pieces flipa.gif ...No!...A nice rust free $500 roller aktion035.gif ....transformed into a supercar welder.gif ...capable of slaying Vipers, Lambos, Ferrari's, 996 TT, etc. happy11.gif
Trekkor
My next one will be a V-8...Why not unsure.gif

I can pick up a used Corvette motor for under a grandski, do some freaky fab work and check that out.

KT
JPB
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 11 2006, 03:28 PM) *

Trekkor, I bet you will be bumming when all those 4 bangers start lapping you tomorrow.

I know when I get my 480hp turbo monster running I wont be happy when the type 4's
leave me in the dust....It's amazing how a couple of 100lbs of weight will make a 914 into a complete dog running around a parking lot.

You are saying a type4 being about 277Lbs is better than a six which is, did you mean to say 400lbs+? If so granaded T4s are the schmit and thats a new one for me since many claim the six is the real deal. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
huh.gif

iamchappy
I am just being sarcastic...

My turbo 914 when it had 350hp would make most people wet their pants.

Qarl pulled a groin muscle and had fear in his eyes
when I gave him a ride.

Qarl drives some pretty hot cars and it scared him.

Try that with a type 4...I had a 2.9 type 4 once, it no way was anything close to
the driving experience of a big turbocharged six.

I dont dislike type 4 powered 914's I just dont consider them high performance.

And I believe my car is about 200lbs at most heavier than a type 4 but also has over 350 more horsepower now.
wbergtho

Hey Chappy,

Somehow...I believe you'll have no trouble with a type 4...with 480 HP and driving skill (I remember you saying you have road raced cars & go-karts)....you'll no doubt be a menace. Judas Priest!...w/ 480 HP, I don't think I'll want to race you.

Bill
iamchappy
Bill you dont have to worry about me passing YOU, your insane....

By the way I am so hoping the body is done by Thanksgiving if not best I can hope for is

Christmas. Can you believe it, I thought I would be on the road no later than August.
iamchappy
This is where it all start for me, Donnybrooke. AKA BIR
Spoke
The Porsche 911 was the first car I fell in love with at about age 10. Lots of them cruising around the Sewickley, Pa area where I grew up. I became a Porsche guy.

Then Porsche developed the 914. At 15, I got to ride several times in a 73 or 74 914 and fell in love with the 914.

Shortly after I talked up the 914 to a friend and he absolutely bashed the 914 as a VW, not a real Porsche (NARP). Kinda soured me a bit on 914s.

The 914/6 was the real deal as far as being as real a Porsche as possible. But not many around.

Fast forward to now, and I'm finally a Porsche owner. 914-4 that is. Two of them. Total of 8 cylinders between 2 cars. Need more HP.

How more HP? /6? Massive TIV? V6? V8? Turbo? Many options. Some more expensive than others. Who cares how the HP comes as long as it comes.

One of the things a /6 does for a 914 is move it closer to a being real Porsche. There's a love affair with the /6 that's intoxicating. If you want that /6 Porsche feel & sound, just do it.

Get your HP where you want for the $$ you want to spend.

Spoke
Trekkor
I'd drive the Big Turbo Six...I would.

KT
iamchappy
If I ever get it to the WCC you will.
Trekkor
Awesome!! boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 11 2006, 07:58 PM) *

I'd drive the Big Turbo Six...I would.

KT

im sure home depot sells hairdryers and PVC plumbing! piratenanner.gif
Trekkor
I was just there today.
Got a phone cord end to make a longer line for my Hot Lap in-car timer.

Need parts for your track car? Home Depot.

KT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 11 2006, 07:52 PM) *

This is where it all start for me, Donnybrooke. AKA BIR

For me too. I went up with a friend who was deep in the SCCA and wound up on a tow crew. Eventually medical team. Cooked my brakes on my 240Z and had to muscle my way around turn ten at a track event a few years ago. Saw tons of titties in the mudpit area. 911s and 914s were a distant dream then.
sww914
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 11 2006, 12:35 PM) *

the weight, ah yes....The weight.

FYI a 200# passenger cost's me 1 second at Sears and 1 second on an a/x run.

I can hold my own.
I have done ZERO weight reduction to my car. It still has everything.

*without first gear*.

KT

biggrin.gif Do you keep your windshield washer reservoir full? biggrin.gif
wbergtho
Hey Dave C,

I'd like to come over some day with Paul and slobber over your black beast. It'll be fun to see how far you've progressed.

Bill
Sammy
Saw tons of titties in the mudpit area. 911s and 914s were a distant dream then.

Now hold on, lets not gloss over this tittie thing..............
wbergtho
Now hold on, lets not gloss over this tittie thing..............

any pics????
iamchappy
A friend of mine had the Girls gone wild BIR tape..
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 11 2006, 02:26 PM) *

I' ve logged more miles in a 914/4 than most of the people on this board, at least 80,000 miles and maybe close to 100,000.
Haym, there's an idea for a pole, how many miles have you driven in a 914? We doan have enuff poles.

Much of those miles were in a stock 1.7, some was in a turbo 2,0, some was with a chebby engine. From stock buggy power to big power.

I prefer a six. I knew that the first time I rode in a 914/6. There was no looking back.

BTW, spending $5k to $7k to rebuild a six? Only if it is a total basket case or you take it to a dealer or a ?????.
I went through my 3 liter six for about $1100. Of course it didn't need much besides head studs, everything was near perfect. That should have been expected as it was barely broke in with about 105,000 miles on it.
I took some scotch brite to the cylinder bores to clean em up and that's all they needed.

K....I helped sell ya the 914/8....I gave ya a ride in a 914/6 at an AX....took ya on a rocket ride up the San Marcos Pass, went from 0 to 120MPH to 0 in one mile .....I named you Turbo Water Dude.....I've pissed off yer wife wife at LEAST 10 times....and you still won't sell me a Sammy Seal.....

But yer still in my cell phone...... finger.gif
Trekkor
SIXES are still better...

Face it, "they" only quit making 914-6's to keep them from making the 911 look bad in '71.

Bow down...

KT
iamchappy
(I'd like to come over some day with Paul and slobber over your black beast. It'll be fun to see how far you've progressed.)

Bill, you and Paul will get the call...cigars and beer, and BIBS...
Howard
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 11 2006, 12:35 PM) *

*without first gear*.
KT

First gear??? No torque??? With a 4 or an 8 ya only use that to put the car on the trailer. happy11.gif sawzall-smiley.gif poke.gif
Series9
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 12 2006, 09:31 PM) *

And best of all sixes are babe magnets.

This /4 got some love too...........probably because she's Howards.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 12 2006, 08:43 PM) *

This /4 got some love too...........probably because she's Howards.

agree.gif 4 to 0 for the /4s ... biggrin.gif
Series9
Here's a drunk chick the RS picked up in Vegas on the way to WCC05. happy11.gif

1 for the /6s.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.