914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jim912928
AMEN!
Michael N
Merry Christmas to us. thumb3d.gif

Or in the words of Ricky Bobby,"O thank you lord little baby Jesus........"
EdwardBlume
dead horse.gif what an interesting 3 weeks.

Good to see this back!
914-8
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 23 2006, 11:18 PM) *

What... nobody's read the RULES and the MISSION STATEMENT YET!?! ohmy.gif

av-943.gif

I read it, it's the first thing I did.

Amazing, only 2 weeks ago, people were publicly flogged, personally attacked and called names by admins for even suggesting a mission statement like that.

And now it is adopted.

The future is bright indeed.
Eric_Shea
We listened. grouphug.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Dec 24 2006, 04:46 AM) *

So is this new forum the replacement for 914club, basically a name change and the loss of a few people? People left in the fucking dark wanna know! popcorn[1].gif

Toby,

I know how you feel and understand your frustration. Over the past two weeks I’ve often felt the same way. But this site, 914world.com, is YOUR site. It's the home you left, with a fresh look and a new, stronger foundation.

There were a lot of hard feelings, and in my heart I believe it's not good to rehash them over and over. I just ask that we move on.

Thanks,

Rusty smoke.gif
erikstoll
I am so very confused.....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(erikstoll @ Dec 24 2006, 11:56 AM) *

No need for confusion... 914World.com is your site.

Welcome Home. smile.gif
erikstoll
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 24 2006, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(erikstoll @ Dec 24 2006, 11:56 AM) *

No need for confusion... 914World.com is your site.

Welcome Home. smile.gif

Thank you for the warm welcome back beer3.gif
now to actually get a car
zymurgist
Hi guys and gals!

I guess I missed the drama, having been busy at work and trying to get both Babydoll and the Blue Max (my taildragger) back on the road. It's good to know that we still have a great community and I hope to see y'all at mid-Atlantic events in '07.
goose2
....haven't been around the forums much the past several months, so I kinda missed all the drama, but have to say I'm pleasently confused about this latest development blink.gif ....thanks to those responsible for pulling it back together.

happy chanusolstiquanzamas
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 24 2006, 12:59 PM) *

[... 914World.com is your site.

Who took my delete function???
I wanted to remove a topic from the NE get-togethers because it was never replied to and is no longer applicable. Best I could do was erase most of my post and edit the title. mad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 24 2006, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 24 2006, 12:59 PM) *

[... 914World.com is your site.

Who took my delete function???
I wanted to remove a topic from the NE get-togethers because it was never replied to and is no longer applicable. Best I could do was erase most of my post and edit the title. mad.gif

We didn't take your delete function. You own everything you post here. But you have to remember, if you delete a whole thread, you are not just deleting your posts, but the posts of the other members who posted there. And that removes other people's property, not just your own.

If you want to remove all your posts, feel free. We won't stop you.

smile.gif
914rat
Me too ! I have a phobia to change glad to see some old members are here and others on 914club.com.How many sites does it take to support our cars?Is the clubnarp site the same as this site?I am confused as all hell guess i'll beer.gif and see what happens.
SteveL
THANK YOU ADMINS FOR THE NEW HOME.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL.
carreraguy
Color me back! biggrin.gif

Unlike some, I don't care to hear the gory details of what transpired the last few months - the ONLY way this type of gossip would be productive would be that the Admins could learn from the errors that were made and I've got a hunch that lesson has been learned, thus the new site. The new Rules are totally logical and a breath of fresh air (i.e. no phrases like "benevolent dictatorship"). Lets just keep it simple and think twice before we ban anyone without VERY careful consideration and review by more than one Admin.

Keep 'em flying!
watsonrx13
Thanks everyone....

Happy anniversary.... I hope we have (4) more years...

Merry Christmas...

-- Rob
ChrisFoley
Clay,
When I enter a topic I started there should be a Moderation options button to allow me to delete the topic. It isn't there.
As I said, I'm not trying to erase my presence here, just keep things current.
Aaron Cox
right. essentially you cannot delete a thread... but you can delete all your posts out of said thread.... except the first post.....
ChrisFoley
So thats a change from before. You guys need to update the FAQ page to better reflect the new order.
And like I said before, if its my forum I want my delete topic function back.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 24 2006, 05:27 PM) *

So thats a change from before. You guys need to update the FAQ page to better reflect the new order.
And like I said before, if its my forum I want my delete topic function back.

Hey Chris, this is a happy place now. biggrin.gif

agree.gif I like the idea of being able to delete a thread I started too, can we get that back? The other choice is to go back the the thread and erase all the works or replacing them with something else. Chris, you have stuff to sell and could turn it into an add. Anyway, how is the car coming for 2007? Any photos to share?
Rusty
Okay, Chris.

I hear you and understand your frustration with the changes.

This was debated among the admins. We had lots of concerns from members when someone would delete an entire thread that contained contributions (intellectual property) from MANY members.

That didn't seem right to everyone involved.

We felt the happy-medium solution was to allow someone to delete their text... but not the whole thread and everyone elses posts.

There is no way to distinguish single-post threads versus threads than have a hundred posts. Because it's all-or-nothing, we've empowered users to clear the text of their OWN post.

I'll be happy to delete the thread in question for you. Please send the link to me in a PM.

I am glad that you're proactive and want to clean up some of the older stuff. Thank you... many don't remember to do stuff like that.

Cheers,
Rusty smoke.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 24 2006, 07:38 PM) *
This was debated among the admins. We had lots of concerns from members when someone would delete an entire thread that contained contributions (intellectual property) from MANY members.

Maybe I differ from most posters. I don't think contributions to an internet discussion forum constitute intellectual property. They become part of a public domain the moment the enter key is depressed. They are intellectual property only in the case of being copied from another source where the intellectual property rights are already established.
For example, if I contribute comments and ideas to a discussion about suspension modifications, that information is free to anyone. However, if I include attached images posted on my website, that constitutes IP. It only gets touchy when someone intends to "borrow" the information but doesn't bother to get permission where needed. In the case of outright erasure of information on a forum, the original intellectual property remains unchanged and not borrowed or stolen.
I still think a topic starter should retain final say on the continued existence of that topic.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 24 2006, 07:37 PM) *

Hey Chris, this is a happy place now. biggrin.gif

I forgot to put on the rose colored glasses they gave me at the door, lol.
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 24 2006, 07:37 PM) *

Anyway, how is the car coming for 2007? Any photos to share?

No progress. My business has taken top priority again, since I moved in June.
I can't say when I'll be ready to race again.
URY914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 24 2006, 05:20 PM) *

I still think a topic starter should retain final say on the continued existence of that topic.

I gotta agree with Chris here. I say if I started the thread I therefore "own" all discussion thereafter. And I should be able to delete it. For example, I opened the door (thread) and you guys came in (replyed) but now you started misbehaving or I changed my mind and I'm telling you to get out of my garage (deleteing the thread).

Paul
Bleyseng
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 25 2006, 07:15 AM) *

I gotta agree with Chris here. I say if I started the thread I therefore "own" all discussion thereafter. And I should be able to delete it. For example, I opened the door (thread) and you guys came in (replyed) but now you started misbehaving or I changed my mind and I'm telling you to get out of my garage (deleteing the thread).

Paul

agree.gif but I do get tired of people leaving and doing global deletes!
Hammer920
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year....nice to be able to log on one of these sights.... I like the new set up. still welding on the old 73.

Richard smile.gif
Dr Evil
Holy shit! This is keeping me entertained in my limited free time biggrin.gif

So we have:

The "club" site = "we own you and your content, you are lucky to be here!"

NARP = "you will be happy and play happily, it is the law, you will be made happy or you will be moderated/deleted!"

Howard's site = forgot the address...anyone there?

Road Glue = waiting for a personallity to develope, need more time

World = the old way with some changes that I still have to read about.

Merry Ramahaunakwanzmas!

Thanks to ALL of the people who truly have OUR best interests at heart and are doing their best to make all of us a home. So many choices.

(the above comments on the various forums are meant to be satyrical in nature and not realy intended to offend. If such offends you, then it is you perogative to feel offended and I will do nothing to steal such a right from you biggrin.gif )
Dr Evil
I just read the increadably long and wordy mission statement and feel that you all could have done us a favor and shortend it to the facts. However, I do agree with all ideas there in tongue.gif

Fyrmdk914
Well, if found you. To me this looks like the original site that I found a few weeks ago. I recently bought my first 914, 75 1.8, with original paint and upholstery. The upholstery will be done soon after the holidays, but the paint and body work will have to wait a while. While I do not have any knowledge of the personalities that caused this uproar on this site, I also don't care. I found this site because I wanted to share, (mostly with me receiving!) information about my 914. I will continue to visit this site because it feels like the same site that I found, and was able to navigate, and enjoy myself looking at. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings!
mikelsr
Thanks to the people who got this site up and going.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 25 2006, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 25 2006, 07:15 AM) *

Paul

agree.gif but I do get tired of people leaving and doing global deletes!

Hi Lawrence,

I'm going to chime in and say I vote for the topic starter to have delete approval of the thread. I've got friends on all of the boards and I'm just going to post in all of them when I'm inclined. I'm hoping no particular site or members force me to choose since I enjoy the posts of many who have chosen sides.

However, it's really a mistake in my opinion to try to keep the content or discourage the freedom of the topic deletion. I fully appreciate you wanting to keep several of the threads whole, they are classic. But if someone who was a major contributor of a thread decides to take their toys and leave (in this case their posted contributions), the thread IS CHANGED forever. It no longer is that classic thread we wanted to keep, but a hollow shell of itself.

Let's take a technical discussion on weight reduction on a car. Maybe 3 or 4 folks post several posts on their cars and what they did to get the weight out. Now 2 of those folks take their posts out, including the originator. There is still content from the other 1 or 2 folks, but now the thread is disjointed and basically sucks.

I wish you guys would just let it go. If B, or people that want to side with them want to kill their threads, let them. It will only be a few people, and the site will be better for it. Because you aren't living and fighting over the past. It's something you guys can't change. And I hope he extends the same courtesy at 914Club when he integrates the database into his site. The sooner you guys get away from the destructive behaviors, we can all go back to having fun someday.

I don't have any plans on deleting my threads here or at 914Club, because I'm just babbling about my POS cars. People from this site have already contacted me about my Boxster build that is nailed in the Paddock. I will contact them directly since this is a 914 forum and I don't know if you want it mucked up with the Boxster build. In fact, if you want to delete it, I wouldn't be offended. I just wanted to share the build because the car was built by the 914 community.

But in the end, I'm disappointed that 914World is "our" site but someone is controlling my threads. In this instance, at least the old site allowed you the control of your own thread. It is my opinion that the thread starter has say so. If you choose to reply you are giving me your opinion and I can choose to listen or discard the discussion. Since I created it, I should be able to terminate it. I'm viewing this as an informal garage, not one that hangs on my every word and has to put my comments up for perpetuity, for others to read for years. For me, it may have been a discussion that at the time seemed appropriate to me, but in the future I find I don't want to be reminded of. I'd like the right (which I do believe is mine) to kill it.

I agree with Geoff, I do get tired of the global delete by some people when they get upset or they have a falling out with a group or club. But really, just let it go. It's not like it's about the content in the database. It's about the people. The people will create the content. If 914World is missing a 944 Turbo brake conversion for a 914 that gets deleted, someone else will step up.

Just my opinion. I'm just a guest in your 914World, trying to stay in contact with my friends.

Bill P.
ThinAir
At some point I'd like to see the admins address the issue of how this site is paid for. A site like this doesn't run for free. I don't want to see it perceived by anyone as "making money" for anyone, but I also don't want to see a small group of people underwriting the costs with no opportunity for others to share in that. Since it's OUR site, WE need the opportunity to help with not just content.
McMark
Bill, you have a very good point. Your post has incited new discussion on the topic. Please don't delete your Boxster thread, I love it. wub.gif

Ernie, the site is running on Andy's company servers using Andy's company bandwidth. He has offered this to the acting admin team free of charge. I can only speak for myself, but my only involvement here is for the love of the cars. I think the people who have met me in person realize that. I've done a ton of coding and other things for this site. And I don't expect and don't want a cent for it. I don't even expect acknowledgment. As long as people are working on and loving their cars, I'm 100% happy. It's my impression that the rest of the 914World admin team feels the same way.
DBCooper
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 26 2006, 01:28 AM) *

I've done a ton of coding and other things for this site. And I don't expect and don't want a cent for it. I don't even expect acknowledgment.

Ahh... but you know we love ya, Mark. wub.gif
nomore9one4

Bill, you have a very good point. Your post has incited new discussion on the topic. Please don't delete your Boxster thread, I love it. wub.gif

Ernie, the site is running on Andy's company servers using Andy's company bandwidth. He has offered this to the acting admin team free of charge. I can only speak for myself, but my only involvement here is for the love of the cars. I think the people who have met me in person realize that. I've done a ton of coding and other things for this site. And I don't expect and don't want a cent for it. I don't even expect acknowledgment. As long as people are working on and loving their cars, I'm 100% happy. It's my impression that the rest of the 914World admin team feels the same way.

clap56.gif Thank you Mark and all other administration members.I am not sure who you ALL are yet,but Thank you for your hard work,dedication to the site and to the cars we love to hate, for getting this site back up and running for the members in no time flat and for not creating it into a infomercial. This is the club I have been a member of since day 1 and expect to be around until I am no longer wanted. Thanks again guys/gals Bob in Pittsburgh.
grantsfo
I support both higher volume 914 BBS sites. I think it was interesting for people running the 914world.com site to take action to restore my 914club.com screen name, password, profile information, contact information and posts without my formal release and approval.

I had never agreed to terms of this new 914world site. Was the movement of my profile, information and postings a legal act? I think this would be a great case for courts to study as I have not seen this happen on the internet before. Leave it to a group of 914 enthusiasts to break new legal ground on the internet.
r_towle
Im here,
I agree with Bill, stop worrying, let is happen. Its the natural course of things.

Rich
PRS914-6
I guess I am the minority (or maybe not) on the delete issue....The admins did it right on this one. Don't change it. Being able to delete\edit your own content is fair. I don't like the idea of someone deleting MY content cuz they got a hair up their ass.

I see it this way.....(right or wrong) If you start a thread on a public forum, you spoke freely and have now involved others and it is no longer private. Being able to delete YOUR words is fair. Why should you get to delete MY words just because you INITIATED it? Starting the thread only INITIATED the discussion. It would be like starting a discussion in the office and when YOU left you told everyone they could not keep talking about it......You don't always get to stop (or take back)what you said or started anywhere in life. So, a good thing to remember is....You never regret what you DON'T say.
grantsfo

Dont you expect some commercial activity from this site? If you didnt why have your engine building service in your signature? Don't you and others running this site who own 914 businesses now derive some level of benefit from 914world.com?

I support you guys 100%, but I think its important to be honest about the fact that several of you 914world Admins have businesses that benefit from 914 community. After your breakup with the 914club I dont think you guys had much of a choice other than to setup this 914world.com site.

Both 914club.com and 914world.com work for me. Keep up the great work!
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 07:21 AM) *

I support both big 914 BBS sites. I think it was strange for people running the site here to assume it was ok to restore my 914club.com screen name, profile information, contact information and posts without my permission.

I had never agreed to terms of this site. Wasnt that act illegal? I think this would be a great case for courts to study as I have not seen this happen on the internet before. Leave it to a group of 914 enthusiasts to break new legal ground on the internet.

av-943.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Dec 26 2006, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 07:21 AM) *

I support both big 914 BBS sites. I think it was strange for people running the site here to assume it was ok to restore my 914club.com screen name, profile information, contact information and posts without my permission.

I had never agreed to terms of this site. Wasnt that act illegal? I think this would be a great case for courts to study as I have not seen this happen on the internet before. Leave it to a group of 914 enthusiasts to break new legal ground on the internet.

av-943.gif

w00t.gif welcome.png w00t.gif
DNHunt
Dont you expect some level of commercial benefit from this site? If you didnt why have your engine building service in your signature? Don't you and others running this site who own 914 businesses now derive some level of benefit from 914world.com?

Grant

If they do benefit, so what? They donate time and effort (and at least lately, peace of mind). Is it wrong that they derive some indirect benefit from this? Isn't this the same as a business man that joins a service club to help their community? The service clubs do good things but, there is also business done at meetings and events.

For that matter, isn't there benefit to the non-members? How many people read these forums and find a supplier for something they want or need knowing that the part or service is targetted to their needs? How many vendors have you found through these forums? I know I have found a few.

For me, that's a win win situation.

Dave
TROJANMAN
picking up where he left off.........poke.gif

I'm surprised he isn't 'unregistered' yet laugh.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Dec 26 2006, 07:35 AM) *

Dont you expect some level of commercial benefit from this site? If you didnt why have your engine building service in your signature? Don't you and others running this site who own 914 businesses now derive some level of benefit from 914world.com?

Grant

If they do benefit, so what? They donate time and effort (and at least lately, peace of mind). Is it wrong that they derive some indirect benefit from this? Isn't this the same as a business man that joins a service club to help their community? The service clubs do good things but, there is also business done at meetings and events.

For that matter, isn't there benefit to the non-members? How many people read these forums and find a supplier for something they want or need knowing that the part or service is targetted to their needs? How many vendors have you found through these forums? I know I have found a few.

For me, that's a win win situation.

Dave

Thats my point. Why hide behind altruistic posts that claim no economic benefit comes from involvement on this site? I appluad people who can make a money from supporting the 914 community. I believe commercial interests are what make the bigger sites like 914world and 914club viable. I see it as a win win too.
boxstr
CAMP 914 obviously is a 914 related business. I receive benefit from any and all 914 sites.
When asked I contributed to the 914club.com site. If I was asked I would do the same here or at any of the other sites.
If feel it is part of doing business, and that is to support, in what ever way I can the 914 sites that has the members who enjoy the 914.
I send all kinds of CAMP 914 items to the organizers of events all over the country.
If I did not enjoy the Porsche 914 I wouldn't do what I do. The club sites are just a side benefit and the West Coast Classics are something that helps bring a body to the name on the screen.
It may seem commercial, and I will be the first , if asked to help support.
CCL
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 26 2006, 08:50 AM) *

When asked I contributed to the 914club.com site. If I was asked I would do the same here or at any of the other sites.

Craig,
CLUBNARP.com would like you to write us a check to be part of our 914 community. $1000 ought to do it. tongue.gif
CCLINTHEMONEY
boxstr
PAYPAL okay??
CCL
TROJANMAN
as long as the name on the account isn't Eugene tongue.gif

do you still need that brake cap?
nine14cats
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 26 2006, 06:50 AM) *

I guess I am the minority (or maybe not) on the delete issue....The admins did it right on this one. Don't change it. Being able to delete\edit your own content is fair. I don't like the idea of someone deleting MY content cuz they got a hair up their ass.

I see it this way.....(right or wrong) If you start a thread on a public forum, you spoke freely and have now involved others and it is no longer private. Being able to delete YOUR words is fair. Why should you get to delete MY words just because you INITIATED it? Starting the thread only INITIATED the discussion. It would be like starting a discussion in the office and when YOU left you told everyone they could not keep talking about it......You don't always get to stop (or take back)what you said or started anywhere in life. So, a good thing to remember is....You never regret what you DON'T say.

I understand where folks are coming from and generally agree with this postition. The one thing that really is tough for me to accept is stopping a thread of mine that has gone off course, either due to my replies or those of other folks. In the real world I can choose to either excuse myself from a conversation or ask someone to leave. In the cyberworld not only will they not leave, but some of these folks will continue to post just to pollute a thread with off topic drivel. If I'm asking about wheel bearings and someone keeps posting about their cat, I don't like it. And there have been times where a debate escalates to personal attacks, or very close.

I have been involved in this very thing, and when you look back on the thread, you see that either yourself, your friend, or just an online "entity" have posted unfortunate remarks. In a face to face conversation, what is said is heard by those in the room. When the conversation is over, that's it. If the parties involved choose not to spread the conversation, it stays in that room. In the 914World forums, the conversation between participants can be replayed over and over and over for anyone coming in. What if I choose for that not to happen? Why can't I terminate it? It's really the other side of the coin to your argument. You argue once you say it, it's there for eternity and I have not right to take your comments away. But what if you or I said something unfortunate, or at a basic level so much drivel crept into a thread that it wasn't enjoyable or positive reading, but just a diluted waste of disk space? Why not delete it and try again to keep the topic clean?

I've actually done that in the past, where I started a topic and a heated debate ensued not only between myself and an original replier, but also from the peanut gallery. Just like we saw with the implosion of the 914 community, inappropriate things were said and it made everyone look silly. So instead of living with a thread about tires or brake pads that has 10% on topic material and 90% OT material that hurts feelings and sounds stupid, I deleted the entire thread and started a new one. Everyone calmed down and we posted on topic and the thread was fine. When something is wrong, why do we have a fascination to keep our dirty laundry up for all to see till the end of time, or until the server is unplugged?

I would agree with you 100% if all the replies were respectful. But that isn't always the case in this forum or any other forum. Look at all the folks that sling mud hiding behind screen names. That is extreme example, but the 914 community is extreme in behavior.

My point is that if someone starts a thread and doesn't feel comfortable with the way it goes, let the person that authored the thread to have the decision making to keep it or not. If the admin has it only, that puts them in the "God" position, which they shouldn't have to deal with. And let's say I delete a topic and you don't agree with it. You could still have a rebuttal by posting a thread with the topic of the rebuttal "I disagree with Bill P. because....." and continue the conversation. If I was strong in my convictions I wouldn't participate in your thread, but you would most assuredly have folks weighing in, and your point or points could be fleshed out more. But at least your thread would hopefully be what you want, not become something you didn't want.....

My opinion only....and I'm still posting here even though I do not agree with the 914World's position.

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.