Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm so confused
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
GTeener
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 23 2006, 06:11 PM) *

There are 4 914 sites we can flounder around too, Pelican,NARP,914club and 914world.

5 if you count Rennlist wink.gif
GTeener
We can take a vote about the Delete function biggrin.gif

Hopefully the server is backed up daily, so some of these "global delete in anger" issues are moot anyway.
jgara962
wacko.gif

Just checking to see if everything is working. I found out about 914 World from the Thank You e-mail I received from ClubNARP.

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe...
GTeener
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 26 2006, 01:56 PM) *

wacko.gif

Just checking to see if everything is working. I found out about 914 World from the Thank You e-mail I received from ClubNARP.

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe...

You're not alone...
cooltimes
QUOTE(GTeener @ Dec 26 2006, 03:22 PM) *

There are 4 914 sites we can flounder around too, Pelican,NARP,914club and 914world.

5 if you count Rennlist wink.gif

Don't forget,
www.RoadGlue.com
A top notch site that Randy and Glenn put back up where 914 is still the king and the main substance of conversation.
Smaller, in your own garage, type site.

Cooltimes
914-8
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 26 2006, 10:07 AM) *

In the real world I can choose to either excuse myself from a conversation or ask someone to leave. In the cyberworld not only will they not leave, but some of these folks will continue to post just to pollute a thread with off topic drivel.

. . . In a face to face conversation, what is said is heard by those in the room. When the conversation is over, that's it. If the parties involved choose not to spread the conversation, it stays in that room. In the 914World forums, the conversation between participants can be replayed over and over and over for anyone coming in. What if I choose for that not to happen? Why can't I terminate it?

Bill P.

View this like a community room, say a bar. In the real world, you can excuse yourself from a conversation, but you can't force others to leave, or force them to stop the conversation, or force them to not replay it over and over again for anyone new coming into the bar. The most you can do is leave and ignore it. No one is going to ask your permission, "Hey, since you started this conversation, do you mind if we keep it going after you leave?"

If a thread you start goes a way you don't want, just ignore it. No one is going to fault you for starting the tread. Unlike the real world, you can even edit out or delete your own posts so your participation in the thread is completely gone. Why do you need more than that?

Giving everyone the power to delete the posts of others is a bad move, IMO.
TravisNeff
Grant,

For the life of me I cannot figure out if you are walking on your hands or your feet when you speak. blink.gif

First it is bad, then it is good, then it is a puzzle for the same topic. If you don't like your information automatically populated here, why are you here participating? And if you are ok with both sites running dual content, why are you complaining about the login? Your comments must be just for your own entertainment.

I have a perception that you will participate in any heated topic just to see who you can piss off, flip sides then backpeddle once you pissed everyone off.

OK your turn. Postive, Negative or Indescisive. Maybe you can do all of them laugh.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(914-8 @ Dec 26 2006, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 26 2006, 10:07 AM) *

In the real world I can choose to either excuse myself from a conversation or ask someone to leave. In the cyberworld not only will they not leave, but some of these folks will continue to post just to pollute a thread with off topic drivel.

. . . In a face to face conversation, what is said is heard by those in the room. When the conversation is over, that's it. If the parties involved choose not to spread the conversation, it stays in that room. In the 914World forums, the conversation between participants can be replayed over and over and over for anyone coming in. What if I choose for that not to happen? Why can't I terminate it?

Bill P.

View this like a community room, say a bar. In the real world, you can excuse yourself from a conversation, but you can't force others to leave, or force them to stop the conversation, or force them to not replay it over and over again for anyone new coming into the bar. The most you can do is leave and ignore it. No one is going to ask your permission, "Hey, since you started this conversation, do you mind if we keep it going after you leave?"

If a thread you start goes a way you don't want, just ignore it. No one is going to fault you for starting the tread. Unlike the real world, you can even edit out or delete your own posts so your participation in the thread is completely gone. Why do you need more than that?

Giving everyone the power to delete the posts of others is a bad move, IMO.

Excellent point and I mostly agree with what you are saying. However, the distinction I'm drawing is that from most of the bars I go to, we can't remember the particulars from the night before... beer3.gif ....just kidding... laugh.gif

What I'm trying to say is that at a bar in a certain discussion, I can walk away and the rest of the patrons can still talk about the topic I started. But I've never been to a bar that wrote down word for word what was talked about or tape recorded your conversation to play back the next day, week or month. For whatever reason, I normally remember the gist of a conversation, but I normally don't remember it word for word. In the cyberworld it is word for word.

If you gave the delete back I'm positive that some folks would come in here and dump everything. Let them. It's closure, although in the realm of things it doesn't matter. And truthfully, I won't lose sleep over it. Just the civil tone of our conversation here is fine. But in reality, our conversation has encroached on Qarl's orginal "I'm so confused" thread. Maybe he finds it offensive and wants to remove it. As the thread starter he has the right. At least that's my position.

I've had an ADMIN call me names, insult my integrity both personally and professionally in the heat of a debate. I wasn't too nice either. I chose to delete the thread so that other's couldn't twist it into something else. The admin is a friend and we were both out of line. The delete topic button allowed me to let that wound heal, not have it out in the open for all to pick at. 914World isn't a bar. It has a Garage which to me has a more "family" distinction versus a bar. ClubNARP has a bar, The Tavern. That fits more into the bar scene for me. And I like going to bars, so I'll hit the The Tavern from time to time.

So since you can only have it one way, a delete button or no delete button, I vote give the power to the thread starter. At the very least it isn't the admins being the policeman, it is the community. If you don't like it that I deleted a thread, you can call me out on it in front of the community. I could then respond why I did it. Or not. Self policing.

Bill P.

grantsfo
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 26 2006, 02:42 PM) *

Grant,

For the life of me I cannot figure out if you are walking on your hands or your feet when you speak. blink.gif

First it is bad, then it is good, then it is a puzzle for the same topic. If you don't like your information automatically populated here, why are you here participating? And if you are ok with both sites running dual content, why are you complaining about the login? Your comments must be just for your own entertainment.

I have a perception that you will participate in any heated topic just to see who you can piss off, flip sides then backpedal once you pissed everyone off.

OK your turn. Positive, Negative or Indecisive. Maybe you can do all of them laugh.gif

I never indicated whether I agree or disagree with my profile information and historical posts from 914club being populated on this new 914world forum. I merely stated fact that my profile, historical posts, etc were populated here without my consent. I do believe the Admins here have set an interesting legal precedent in the online forum world. Wouldn't you agree? Be careful not to mix my factual statements with your perceptions. I can understand why you may be confused.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.”

~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

TravisNeff
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 05:02 PM) *

Wouldn't you agree? Be careful not to mix my factual statements with your perceptions. I can understand why you may be confused.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.”

~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Not really. beer3.gif
Allan
IIRC, and confused24.gif please forgive me if I'm wrong but, wasn't there quite a few posts during this whole mess that indicated the content would be restored in it's entirety.

I think people have done nothing more than honor their word.
Meredith
What's the track fee?
seanery
QUOTE(Meredith @ Dec 26 2006, 07:28 PM) *

What's the track fee?

free for you Mer! wink.gif
brant
Thanks for the hard work guys...

oh and do we have a cuckoo smilley?
I believe grant has lost it.

wheelo
Thanks Guys !

For keeping the Spirit Alive .......

beerchug.gif

- M
grantsfo
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 26 2006, 06:27 PM) *

...it took you until this site and this post to figure that out? biggrin.gif I'm pretty sure I had "lost it " when I started writing $2500 checks every couple months to turn my 914 into a race car earlier this year. I'm sure you're not too far off from needing that same cuckoo smiley. blink.gif
Aaron Cox
grant likes to use the "Chewbacca defense"

IPB Image

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3DIVO%26sa%3DN
grantsfo
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2006, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 06:47 PM) *

...it took you until this site and this post to figure that out? biggrin.gif I'm pretty sure I had "lost it " when I started writing $2500 checks every couple months to turn my 914 into a race car earlier this year. I'm sure you're not too far off from needing that same cuckoo smiley. blink.gif

that was sooo like the "chewbacca" argument on southpark... LOL

IPB Image

Wasnt aware there was an arguement. However it was nice of an "esteemed" 914world admin to weigh in with some witty insight. happy11.gif
orange914

i just was made aware of roadglue.com too.
i'm confused confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
ifound this site today and found i was registered (carry over from old? 914club??) why is there still 914club online without the past content and now 914 world contains it? are ALL previous 6000+ members aware of this site, i know i wasn't

honestly this site did immediately feel like home -old faces-old history/articles...even my old p.m.'s mueba.gif i just want the dust to settle and become a teener commmunity again clap56.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2006, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 06:47 PM) *

that was sooo like the "chewbacca" argument on southpark... LOL

IPB Image

Wasnt aware there was an arguement. However it was nice of an "esteemed" 914world admin to weigh in with some witty insight. happy11.gif

i edited it before your post to clarify the funny....

if you see the episode, you will get a kick out of it smile.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(orange914 @ Dec 26 2006, 06:58 PM) *

ifound this site today and found i was registered (carry over from old? 914club??) why is there still 914club online without the past content and now 914 world contains it? are ALL previous 6000+ members aware of this site, i know i wasn't

honestly this site did immediately feel like home -old faces-old history/articles...even my old p.m.'s mueba.gif i just want the dust to settle and become a teener commmunity again clap56.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Well then this is where you want to be! Welcome Back!
gopack
As far as deleteing threads, there are a lot of good reasons pro and con. Why can't you do something like this:
Allow any user to delete a thread HE (or she) started, only withing 5 days of the thread origination. That would allow renegade threads that had veered off topic to get blasted, but not allow anyone to maliciously delete all threads started just to gain closure or revenge?

Alternatively, you could allow one thread to be deleted each week by anyone that started a thread. not a global delete all to get back at the group! or even a 10 thread lifetime maximum benefit liek health insurance. or 5 timea a calencar year there are many variations, and the admins can always override the limits upon request!

none of these may be fesable, but i have found that a good programmer can usually give me what ever it is I can dream up IF it is worth having!

PEACE on EARTH BABY!
Joe Bob

You didn't get the memo?
rhodyguy
having been pushed in to the position of deleting a thread or 2 or 3, i feel it should be left to discretion of the thread starter. i seriously doubt a thread with significant technical application would be yanked. we don't have the option to delete an unwanted, inappropriate comment or reply to say a classified posting. i went through 2 admins to try to rectify this same situation. one said, no big thing as he saw it. the second suggested i just delete the ad and start over.

k
Air_Cooled_Nut

i just was made aware of roadglue.com too...

Jeezuz...way too many competing forums. C'mon people. Talk about diluting the content screwy.gif mad.gif

Reminds me of gangs but without the deaths ar15.gif

Well, time will definitely play a part in attrition. The lesser used forums will only stay standing in defiance if for no other real reason rolleyes.gif
orange914
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 27 2006, 07:47 AM) *

You didn't get the memo?

no confused24.gif
jfort
I didn't get the invitation email, but I found my way anyway. It does feel like home here. Glad to see all the content restored and accessible. That, in my opinion, is the most valuable thing. Which leads to a response to some of the prior postings. I don't care that my account/profile was transferred. I can delete it if I want, but I won't. I think that group discussions belong to the group and should not be deleted for any reason. If someone wants a private discussion, well, that is why God invented email. Now, when are all the world.com hats and decals coming out, Sean?
Joe Bob
If anyone DIDN'T get the memo....check your email listed under the MY CONTROLS....

You also might want to enable "admin email" options.....
seanery
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 27 2006, 12:28 PM) *

If anyone DIDN'T get the memo....check your email listed under the MY CONTROLS....

You also might want to enable "admin email" options.....

or check your spam folder in your email program wink.gif
jfort
You are right, Sean (don't you love it when someone tells you that?). The invitation email/memo was in my junk email.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jfort @ Dec 27 2006, 11:35 AM) *

You are right, Sean (don't you love it when someone tells you that?). The invitation email/memo was in my junk email.

Please don't tell him that... he already has a fat head.. he doesn't need the ego boost of someone telling him he was right..

poke.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 27 2006, 11:44 AM) *

Please don't tell him that... he already has a fat head.. he doesn't need the ego boost of someone telling him he was right..

poke.gif

Ya, ya... he's fat. You're short. So what? bootyshake.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 27 2006, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 27 2006, 11:44 AM) *

poke.gif

Ya, ya... he's fat. You're short. So what? bootyshake.gif

Don't start on the short jokes purple car boy.... gayfight.gif

You aren't much taller than me.
Rusty
Did it strain your neck to look this far up? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.