Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whos been the fastest in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
degreeoff
Just curious...I know I have hit an indicated (for what thats worth) 130 in my 2.1ltr few years ago......so how fast have you been and with what power plant/body mods (AKA HUGE wing, LOW spoiler etc)
jd74914
15mph up my driveway with a snowplow spoiler and ducktail laugh.gif
Rusty
111 on my handheld GPS... (generally) stock 914/6.

Won't do it again. Testosterone poisoning is a terrible way to die.
degreeoff
NOT that I would ever recommend speeding........but there are some LONG straight stretches around.....
John
We don't have a speedometer in the track car. (about 6000 RPM in 5th)
Road America down hill before braking for turn 5. Car has a one of a kind home-made tail. Stable at speed. (Click on the 3.2 Race car in my sig.)

The street car has never exceeded the posted speed limit (that you know about).
propricer
Estimate 140 down the front straight at Willow Springs ... race prepared 914-6 with equivalent to a 2.2S ... VERY stable !!!
plymouth37
155 and still pulling hard, 320 hp WRX engine, no wing, gt flares. I can say with all certainty that these cars were never designed to attain that kind of speed. Rear felt pretty squirrelly and traction was fading fast. tires were good for another 10 mph but i was already testing my luck as it was.
So.Cal.914
I did 35 in a school zone once, still feel guilty.
URY914
I did 225 at LeMans. beer.gif

OK, it was a dream really. blink.gif

drew365
Halfway down the straight at California Speedway I hit the rev limiter. With my gearing and tires that's 132mph. Car feels totally stable until part way through T1 I have to let it breathe.
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 16 2007, 07:15 PM) *

111 on my handheld GPS... (generally) stock 914/6.

Won't do it again. Testosterone poisoning is a terrible way to die.

Hell, I had my dad's '58 Chevy 348-cube Delray up to 110 on the Palmetto Bypass (Miami) in 1960 or 61. AND noticed when I got it home that one of the tires was through to the cord! Sometimes the lord doesn't want you to die of testosterone poisoning--even when you're 17 and have LOTS of it. (I later drove it to Sebring with a high school buddy to see the '62 race) At 62 (years, not mph) now, I could no doubt do better than 110 in this antique car in my driveway. No bald tires on it. Nor me, yet--further proof that the lord watches out for me. And wait till I get a Jake kit!
highways
95. Actually I've gone faster then that in mohave. But 95 was when the wheel fell off last time.
dflesburg
My Mustang drifts around at about 160 with the top down, with the top up it starts to drift around at 165. Still lots left but I am a wimp...

My 914 hasn't been able to pass my truck in 14 years. Thank god cause every time she has been on the road she was strapped to a trailer... LOL
Joe Bob
140 at Willow...in a 3.0 914 and a 911......same engine.....both was an experience....
Eric_Shea
130 Downhill just crossed into CO on I-40 from Vernal. Headed to the Steamboat Parade in my 914-6
Downunderman
210 kph at 7100 on the limiter = 132 mph (short gears)
biosurfer1
i got up to 90 for the first time in my 1.7 stock. with a subpar suspension, brakes and engine, that as fast as it will go until they are fixed:(
bondo
My 914 is jackstand limited to .00000003 mph. (compensated for continental drift)
Howard
Well, this one time,
Midtowner
QUOTE(bondo @ Jan 16 2007, 09:09 PM) *

My 914 is jackstand limited to .00000003 mph. (compensated for continental drift)

av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
I got you beat Howard, I am doing 1000 mph eprox right now driving.gif

(earth's rotation)
Andyrew
As fast as any stock trani 914 can go. at 6k.

top down, gf in car. Tad bit squirly, but it didnt feel that bad..
BigD9146gt
Wow, for those of you who have been over 130, what kind of setup (spoiler/rake/massive amount to weights in the front of your trunk) did you have? I've been 135mph in a 3.2 equiped gt flared replica and the front end felt soooo lite I didn't want to push it any further.
Crazyhippy
Top off, 460+ HP SBC leaving a GSXR750 behind @ an indicated 170...

It was in the Renegade Hybids "Peal" (bosses car @ the time) and as fast as the car ever went as far as I know...

Was over 150 coming into turn 1 @ LVMS lap after lap after lap.... 6000 RPM through a 930 and 225/40/17's
hellsbend
111 mph in a 1973 2.0 and it had something left in it still, maybe another five or six mph. Front end got a little light but it still felt pretty solid, could have used a spoiler on the nose.
Flycut
I hit 95MPH Going Down hill In my Stock 74 2.0 And felt like I was pushing the limits....SCARY!!! She had a little more to give but I felt like at any moment the front tires were going to Fall off.
degreeoff
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Jan 16 2007, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(bondo @ Jan 16 2007, 09:09 PM) *

av-943.gif

agree.gif I know the feeling my man my cars been on the rotis for a year now BUT I am making progress....and finally working on her again

@ 130 I felt FINE had the normal upgraded suspension and 245 rear 225 front with my homemade body kit...the new ride will have this MACK daddy duck tail and be REALLY low http://www.rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=359&Task=STD

I worry with the 200+ hp going in her
sgomes
95 and it had some pedal left in it. It was on the San Mateo bridge and it's electric baby!!!! aktion035.gif Nothing like just hearing the wind and road at 95mph!
SGB
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 17 2007, 12:32 AM) *

gf in car...didnt feel that bad.

not that kinda fast! smile.gif
Bleyseng
125mph indicated going on the straight at Bremerton and felt fine. Running 205x50's just ran outta straight to see how much more it had.
Joe Ricard
With early 1.7L 205/60-15 tire top off and Rob Watson in the car. we did 105 indicated before running out of road. Not much left.

2.0L will do 115 down the Straights at NPR and I held it to 120 on the way home one day. lots left in it just no place good to do that speed.
pbanders
92 mph in 4th gear with my 4-cyl 2.0L before braking for turn 1 at the end of the 5/8 mile front straight at Firebird Raceway. 118 mph in the same spot in my M3.
John
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Jan 16 2007, 11:02 PM) *

Wow, for those of you who have been over 130, what kind of setup (spoiler/rake/massive amount to weights in the front of your trunk) did you have? I've been 135mph in a 3.2 equiped gt flared replica and the front end felt soooo lite I didn't want to push it any further.

What front spoiler did you use?

If you have a true GT clone, they didn't have a very good front spoiler, and no air dam.

We had a 916 front shell on (which did provide some front end stability at speed) and now just use a custom air dam. It will drag the ground and clearance itself with the 15" wheels/tires. We normally run 9x16 wheels with 245x45R16 Kumhos on the track car.

In the rear we have a custom spoiler kind of like an extended GT spoiler. It is only extended at the two sides and is low in the middle (so you can see back). At first the wings were too tall, so we kept trimming them down until we got to where we are at. It does keep the back end down. We first created it for Grattan (Near Grand Rapids, Michigan) where there is a hump/jump just before a downhill braking zone for a tight right hand turn. It worked to keep the back end on the ground there so you could stay on power until just after cresting the hill. (I think we could take about another 1/4" or so off myself.)
rick 918-S
75 mph being towed with a 15' long nylon tow rope behind a BMW 2002 for 150 miles! unsure.gif
michaelt55
only about 90 in the 914 but I did hit 138 in a shelby CSX back in 88 cross country from Kansas into Colorado at 6 am in the morning. Overcast so no choppers up and you can see about 5 miles ahead..

Michael
cooltimes
914:
Probably ?5mph + going forward on Highway 51 South headed to Florida back in 1970. RR crossings on old highway 51 S. at that speed let you fly about 100 feet or more. driving.gif
I also estimate ?5 mph backwards when spinning in circles backwards on an ice covered road going to work one morning. barf.gif
Other:
Can't say.
Speeding is a crime in the places I went faster than set limit.
Kawasaki Mach II, 58 Bonneville, Mazda RX7 Turbo, etc X10
and about 460 mph private jet 40,000 feet Houston bound, 4X 2005
Cooley
balljoint
This one time, I never even got my pants off. That was fast. Not to mention embarrassing. stan.gif
So.Cal.914
The speedo said 120 but I am running 205/55/15's so maybe 110. Handled fine.
crash914
around 6000 rpm in 5th with 205 50's....

I bet I could have pulled to 11

on another note....kid broke his nintendo....I still can't believe he jumped in the hot tub, hope it is ok....

crazy kids....thanks again...herb
degreeoff
Sorry about the game...I can't believe he jumped/fell in either!! BUT my dogs can be a bit rambunctious.....least it was a HOT tub not a cold one!!!...rate I am moving I'll have this car back together so we can tear up some local boys on the track!!
crash914
lets get on with it....!!!
crash914
What I am working on slowly....
iamchappy
Dont know I was afraid to take my eyes off the road, steering wheel obscured speedo, around 7000 RPM in 5th running a Z gear with 245/45/16s.
jd74914
Hmm . . . 145mph isn't bad Chappy laugh.gif
kart54
168 at the end of the front straight at Las Vegas Speedway in a 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo owned by some guy named Joe Gibbs. Was orange and had the number 20 on the side and Trekkor's favorite competition parts supplier as the sponsor. Normally driven by some guy named Tony, can't remeber his last name. Was asked to do some testing, had an absolute blast. Car will turn 168 all day long consistently depending on the set up. I hear they run at over 200 on other tracks but I wasn't able to get it up to that. Track was to short. Definitely the best time I've ever had in a race car and all I had to do was show up with a helmet and a fire suit.(That was the best part)
Randy
Dr. Roger
120+ with waaaay more to go.

I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT A WING TODAY......... biggrin.gif blink.gif beer3.gif
evan
102 in my 73' 914 1.8 convt to 2.0 that is if the speedo is working properly. 120 in my 2.0 turbo jetta 3 years ago.
effutuo101
My Tauraus SHO wouldn't do much more than 140. I found the rev limiter in my Jetta and Passat. My wife likes the 914 when she has it around 5500 in fifth. I find it strange how the car settles around 95.
SGB
indicated 125 for about 18 miles behind a GT-2. It was prolly around 113 mph (205/50-15). After about 15 minutes it began to move the temp indicator up so I dropped out of the pack.
byndbad914
no speedo, but based on gearing and tire diam I was at around 7500 with the 930 trans and SBC at Willow, front stretch cruising at 141mph. Had one more gear to go, so off to the chassis shop it went. I think if I can get back to a good track somewhere in the 160 range.

I have a Sheridan standard width body kit with his 6" spoiler at the time; car was wandering a bit (tho' the suspension geom was pretty outta whack I suspect due to bump steer - the downforce at the front and upforce at the rear would have really messed with toe settings affecting straightline perf).

Since going full tube chassis I added a 70"x11" wing and a splitter into the mix and fixed the bumpsteer issues by relocating the rack and so forth. I expect it to be stable up to 160, maybe higher now. We'll see in a few months biggrin.gif

BTW Bill Berthgo (sp? - bad with names) has a similar setup to my old one (no wing - body kit and spoiler) and said he was around 160 and true awhile back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.