Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whos been the fastest in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
worn
720,000 km/h, 450,000 mph. This was at turn one (there are no straights or any other turns) heading around the galactic core. You could really feel the red shift.
Rand
This thread reminds me of its earlier sister thread on the same topic, where Alpha434 came to us. Titanium rods and tires sizes, oh my.

I'd guess bynbad914 and Cracker (who decided to change is screen name to something silly) probably have some of the stronger numbers. Massive v8 power helps.

I've never had a crazy fast 914, but my first 2.0 would do 120 after a few mods (as stupidly tested on the PNW freeways before they got too congested). This was before I had the GPS apps on my phone, so I know this was off some because of my 60 series tires.
My 914
QUOTE(cali914 @ Jul 17 2016, 10:28 AM) *

150 in my v8 small block 427 racing my cousin Rentech Mercedes AMG and his Lingenfelter Corvette. The Aero was really bad my cousin looked over and thought my hood was about to fly open and smack my windshield because of all the air going through the front radiator inlet opening. He said my hood was 6 inches up even with four hood pins. The front of that car must have felt like a brick with all that air going in and not fast enough to exit. All us guys with front radiators beware. dry.gif

Excellent point about air intake and the value of hood pins!
DBCooper
13.006 at 109 in the quarter.

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 2 2007, 07:57 PM) *

Recent conversation with retired 82 year old racer Harald Von Keszycki still has him in the running for one of the fastest 914's with a production chassis.

A long long time ago Harald purchased Erwin Kremers 1970 LeMans winning 914/6 GT. He then built it into a monster in the mid 1970's. At its peak it ran in excess of 550 HP with just a little 2.1 Liter motor. It took a lot of bodywork to keep it on the ground at 180mph.

Later Group 5 cars (non production tube frame cars) which are essentially prototypes gave the Von K 914 a run for the money. With factory racing budgets they only beat it by few mph.

Taken from my friend Victor V. word for word who raced professionally with Harald Von K. "looking at Von K's 914 and telling him he was going to shoot somebody with the way the turbo system was configured . Sure enough, he burst a turbo wheel and shot a Datsun at Riverside".

Haralds response: "Yeah, and on the way out the turbine wheel knurled a spiral path into the inside of the tailpipe, sort of rifling its own barrel. Wish I had a picture".

Yes that is Ferry Porsche admiring Haralds work in the photo.

I grew up in SoCal and have seen this car when Harald had shop set up in Woodland Hills a long time ago. Was also fortunate to be able to hang out at Dan McLoughlin's shop in Burbank. Dan made the glass body panels for the Von K 914. Dan purchased A.I.R ( in name) from actor James Garner who started the AIR Racing Ream ( Vettes and Lola's). A little history few people remember. Dan is no longer involved with AIR. He sold it a few years ago. The quality of the glass today is not like it was.

Harald Von K has a small website with some cool reading. A good article from Classic VW's is on one of the links.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Jeff,
Thanks for providing these wonderful pictures...boy it takes me back to those early years when I used to see Von K at the POC events.
Sorry to hear of Von K passing.. RIP Von
mikesjunk
1971 1.7 Frankenstein I had up to 70 on the road next to the subdivision. Felt really squirrelly so that was plenty.

115 MPH in my 1984 Mustang.....in the 1/4 mile. biggrin.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(mikesjunk @ Jul 19 2016, 07:36 PM) *

Yeah? Funny, that, out here sometimes we play this game called Killing Mustangs.

hndyhrr
One time years ago had a 71 and went from San Jose California to Fontana California in 4 hrs and 15 mins via side hwys averaged about 110 mph. oh it was fun!
pacman
Just went 90 in a little carbureted 1.7 haha. Doesnt wanna go much faster but it was fun!
bulitt
172 in my Viper at the Maxton Mile in 2006.
Now 3 acres an hour on my rider...
SirAndy
Top speed is about 135mph with my stock 901. Been there, done that, have the passenger grin to prove it.

0-60mph in under 4 seconds if i can get the tires to hook up ...
driving.gif
blackmoon
About 70 mph backwards, but that's another story. Barely into 120 range in the current 75 with a 2.27-4
daraho9146
111 mph in my 2.2 L hot rod 6 in 4th gear. The scream of the engine through the PMOs was unbelievable.
80 mph backwards in the same car going backwards. Coming home from the titty bar at 3 in the morning on my 48th birthday. I guess it wasn't my time.
140 mph in my 911 Carrera on hwy 26 between Hatch and Deming, NM
Claus Graf
With rusty longitudinals, on Jackstands without wheels. Oh Yeah!

Rsjg911
In 1974 with my 1970 Sunflower Yellow 914 with both trunks stuffed and three of us in the car (YES, I had the optional third seat belt and an arm rest/seat pad to go over the tray) going down the mountain from Lake Tahoe I was doing 105 through the twisties and backed off when I started to do a four-wheel skid. I had a blast but my friends had a crap!

150 in my 1987 Yellow 911 Cab with the top down. I ran out of road and believe I was at like 4900 rpm. You should have heard the engine!! Beautiful.

135 in my brother's and my Hemi Orange 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 Magnum when I was 16. I was racing my friend in his dads 454 station wagon and I ran out of road (Monroeville Bypass in Pittsburgh). We later sold the car (I know, kick me) because we fought over who gopt to drive it (he always won). He got a sh** brown TR6 and I a beautiful 1 year old 914.

Also owned a 2004 Turbo Cab but only took it to about 115 in 4th gear.
1975 914 2.0L

Currently have a 1974 2.0L, an XJ8 and a G37.
RJMII
I hit 23mph once, being tow roped by a Plymouth Champ...
My 914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 19 2016, 10:45 PM) *

QUOTE(mikesjunk @ Jul 19 2016, 07:36 PM) *

Yeah? Funny, that, out here sometimes we play this game called Killing Mustangs.

The "Killing Mustangs" story and video are great. Its nice to read about 914's beating other cars whose drivers think they're better.
RARE 6
In the -6, somewhere north of 110mph in a line of 20+ Porsches out between Taos, NM, and Ft. Garland, CO back in the late '70s/early '80s. Returning from a Fiesta del Porsche in Santa Fe. Best driver in the bunch was the guy in an early '60s Impala who got in line outside of Taos and kept up for quite a while.
Fastest ever was 140mph back in high school...four of us stuffed into a brand new '63 Vette fuel injected split window. Bias ply Firestones if memory serves. Driver/owner went on to become a state trooper. One passenger became a deputy sheriff.
Something about the Lord taking care of drunks and fools comes to mind.
6freak
attachmentid=565155]
it might be fast but can you drive it!
Cracker
That is not a mutually exclusive example but is often used by low-er hp drivers as a crutch. Its cute but in true motorsports, the fastest drivers are also driving the fastest equipment - without exception.

T

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 22 2016, 10:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment
it might be fast but can you drive it!
6freak
the only thing I find cute are Puppies ! ... just trying to say anyone can drive fast in a strait line.
smile.gif

d914
old car gt clone 135 back striaght road atl.... dancing the whole way..

current car 75 mph on the back of a trailer!!
Cracker
Not actually true...there are allot of factors to consider. One is higher powered cars require greater car control and skill to drive well - at least those without all the modern nannies to save them. I own both - an 80 lb tq car that is faster on a big track than my 600 hp 914. It takes allot more skill than the trivial, brush-off comments being made. To execute speed correctly and safely - skill is required - period. Just sayin...

PS: I realize you are probably just making conversation but it is just not true. No big deal though...if I had a nickle for every student who thought they were a natural Senna and thought fast was easy - I'd be a wealthy man! beerchug.gif

Tony

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 23 2016, 12:36 PM) *

the only thing I find cute are Puppies ! ... just trying to say anyone can drive fast in a strait line.
smile.gif
: I realize you are probably just making conversation but it is just not true. No big deal though...if I had a nickle for every student who thought they were a natural Senna and thought fast was easy - I'd be a wealthy man

Well said, when the 996 GT2 came out. You had folks who had the means to obtain one....some "thought " just because they had one, they were the new Senna / Hamilton. Some never realized that this generation of GT2 had no PSM to save their rears.
Thus out of just a little over 900 GT2 - world wide and 410 assigned to the US market, a third have been crashed. That number was a few years ago. I suspect that a few more has been crashed by now.

Now back to "how fast has one driven " their 914
Ps...I agree that with higher HP 914, one will required more skills / faster reflexes.
Rand
Nobody ever questioned that skill is required, rev. Drag racing requires skill. I'd love to see revCracker's times at the White City track! Different tracks, different cars, different drivers. Build and drive the way you like. I like turns, but I think the OP meant top speed in a fun light-hearted way.

Tony, you've got at least 160, right? Just share the numbers.
Andyrew
Crackers car probably wouldnt do as well as Britians car on the White City track. His car is geared and tuned for big track/ high speed. And conversely Britians car wouldnt do as well as Crackers car on a big track
Rand
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 23 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Crackers car probably wouldnt do as well as Britians car on the White City track. His car is geared and tuned for big track/ high speed. And conversely Britians car wouldnt do as well as Crackers car on a big track

You knew that was my point, right? There's no probably about it.

Back to the OP, "How fast have you been in your 914?"

P.S., Hey Andyrew, how do you think revCrack's time would compare to your Festevia on the WC track? smile.gif That's a race I'd love to see. It would be humbling.
Andyrew
On similar tire size and compound? It would be interesting to see muscling that track monster around on way less grip than it needs without stability control /traction control aids on such a tight course.

Assuming similar driving skill (Tony is obviously much better than me).

I think the times could be pretty even. The fiesta is a prime example of a properly tuned modern chassis and the huge advantage ABS has.
914bub
I know I'm late to the party.I've only gone about 45MPH in MY 914 but in high school I rode in a buddies 914 going 132 mph down 280 through Palo Alto & Los Altos hills, around 2AM. That ride was what hooked me. Only took another 30 years to get my own.
Rand
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 23 2016, 03:09 PM) *

On similar tire size and compound? It would be interesting to see muscling that track monster around on way less grip than it needs without stability control /traction control aids on such a tight course.

Assuming similar driving skill (Tony is obviously much better than me).

I think the times could be pretty even. The fiesta is a prime example of a properly tuned modern chassis and the huge advantage ABS has.

The monkey talk is fun. Tony can't AX. Not fair in this thread.
6freak
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 23 2016, 11:34 AM) *

Not actually true...there are allot of factors to consider. One is higher powered cars require greater car control and skill to drive well - at least those without all the modern nannies to save them. I own both - an 80 lb tq car that is faster on a big track than my 600 hp 914. It takes allot more skill than the trivial, brush-off comments being made. To execute speed correctly and safely - skill is required - period. Just sayin...

PS: I realize you are probably just making conversation but it is just not true. No big deal though...if I had a nickle for every student who thought they were a natural Senna and thought fast was easy - I'd be a wealthy man! beerchug.gif

Tony

smile.gif

My names Mike Wallace and Ill put ya in wall lol-2.gif

Cracker
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 23 2016, 05:03 PM) *

Nobody ever questioned that skill is required, rev.

"... just trying to say anyone can drive fast in a strait line."

Sounds kinda skill-less to me - but that's just me. AX is not might thing - waiting around all day for a couple runs requires too much patience, which I don't have. blink.gif

164.4 (but who's counting) but that too is misleading...speed is only one component of evaluating pace. The track is the largest variable, of course, my car is geared to max out at 178 - so I'm close. There isn't a road track in the US where I could achieve that pace.

T
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(396 @ Jul 17 2016, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 2 2007, 07:57 PM) *

Recent conversation with retired 82 year old racer Harald Von Keszycki still has him in the running for one of the fastest 914's with a production chassis.

A long long time ago Harald purchased Erwin Kremers 1970 LeMans winning 914/6 GT. He then built it into a monster in the mid 1970's. At its peak it ran in excess of 550 HP with just a little 2.1 Liter motor. It took a lot of bodywork to keep it on the ground at 180mph.

Later Group 5 cars (non production tube frame cars) which are essentially prototypes gave the Von K 914 a run for the money. With factory racing budgets they only beat it by few mph.

Taken from my friend Victor V. word for word who raced professionally with Harald Von K. "looking at Von K's 914 and telling him he was going to shoot somebody with the way the turbo system was configured . Sure enough, he burst a turbo wheel and shot a Datsun at Riverside".

Haralds response: "Yeah, and on the way out the turbine wheel knurled a spiral path into the inside of the tailpipe, sort of rifling its own barrel. Wish I had a picture".

Yes that is Ferry Porsche admiring Haralds work in the photo.

I grew up in SoCal and have seen this car when Harald had shop set up in Woodland Hills a long time ago. Was also fortunate to be able to hang out at Dan McLoughlin's shop in Burbank. Dan made the glass body panels for the Von K 914. Dan purchased A.I.R ( in name) from actor James Garner who started the AIR Racing Ream ( Vettes and Lola's). A little history few people remember. Dan is no longer involved with AIR. He sold it a few years ago. The quality of the glass today is not like it was.

Harald Von K has a small website with some cool reading. A good article from Classic VW's is on one of the links.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Jeff,
Thanks for providing these wonderful pictures...boy it takes me back to those early years when I used to see Von K at the POC events.
Sorry to hear of Von K passing.. RIP Von

I'd have to agree on Harald von K's turbo (a floor pan car) being one of the most high velocity of the 914s . I've seen him work it at Riverside raceway. My turbo development was in its infancy with a single turbo 2.7L in a narrow body with 7" slicks, final drive gearing limited to hitting the mid 130s in the back straight (901 trans) blink.gif Watching Harald run in the wicked fast Red class was a sight to see. One afternoon in the garage at RIR he was tearing into a gear set change on his 915 tranny. Hot oily parts everywhere and then we saw the gears on the ground with the teeth sheared off headbang.gif It was running with, and sometimes away from the 12 cyl Porsches ยก!
Marty
6freak
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 23 2016, 06:17 PM) *

Sounds kinda skill-less to me - but that's just me. AX is not might thing - waiting around all day for a couple runs requires too much patience, which I don't have. blink.gif

164.4 (but who's counting) but that too is misleading...speed is only one component of evaluating pace. The track is the largest variable, of course, my car is geared to max out at 178 - so I'm close. There isn't a road track in the US where I could achieve that pace.

T
maybe you just dont have the skills to AX confused24.gif ...god if I had a dollar for every instuctor i had to tell! get in sit down shut up and hang on "...id be rich

126MPH only because that track wasnt long enough lol-2.gif GTFOH
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 25 2016, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 23 2016, 06:17 PM) *

T
maybe you just dont have the skills to AX confused24.gif ...god if I had a dollar for every instuctor i had to tell! get in sit down shut up and hang on "...id be rich

126MPH only because that track wasnt long enough lol-2.gif GTFOH

That was rude of me to say you dont have skills ! I apologize Rev

Now back to going fast in a 914
Cracker
No biggies 6freak - this place has given me thick skin. Cheers.

T
carr914
115 in a 914 2.0
135 in a 914-6 2.5
140 in a 916
185 in a 911
195 in a Viper
wndsrfr
Here's my fastest in the 2.7/6....at Daytona last December, 145 on 225/45/15's hitting the rev limiter, 153 on 225/50/16's also just touching the rev limiter. Car stable, driver edgy. This clip shows the speedo buried well over 150 around 1:05 but actual was 145. Turn up the volume & enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsRVmnX09c
Cracker
538 mph last week courtesy of Delta! Damn. Focus. 914's.

T
Rand
Just when I wanted you to change your name back, you switch to the metric system. Sigh.
Cracker
...you must of been young and naive "back then" to spew this logic Andyrew! biggrin.gif poke.gif

T

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 4 2007, 03:16 AM) *

The v8's have the disadvantage of gearing and low rpm's. Most v8's dont pull much past 6k rpms. while T4's and Porsche 6's can rev past 7k. giving them MUCh more rpms' to work with in those gears.
Andyrew
There is truth in my statement I made when I was 20... smile.gif
toolguy
Many years ago . Virginia Beach to San Diego. . 43 hours nonstop. No pills - lots of coffee
or
Holtville PCA time trials in the late 70's. . 7400 rpm in fifth, stock gearing 914-6 with 185/70 14 tires and rims. . didn't have time to look at the speedo. 2.o S spec motor
thelogo
What should be being asked about is not how fast but

???? !!!! ???? !! ???? ! confused24.gif

driving.gif but whos has the fastest car on this world or club .

But im not encourage in people to speed on public roads

But would still like to know poke.gif
cars that are technically street legal not racers

I just got the big 4 and ive gone about 92 down the 605

Xxx typo

No i mean down Bonneville salt flats

It will go faster but , see below

Wonder what that guys top speed was
Shame to wrek such a sweet ride .
kaiserms
165 mph on the speedo. Done at Riverside Raceway at POC event. We were
running the long course and I hit 165 on the back straight before turn 9.
Even more amazing, I got passed by a 935. Felt like he was doing 180-190!
I was driving a '72 914-6 conversion. It had a special built twin-plug 2.5 motor
rated at 290hp. Great car & very fast.
This was 1986 before Riverside shut down. What a tremendous track!
kgruen2
130 per my phone GPS. Indicated about 135. This was in my '73 2.0. Upgraded engine, stock tranny (as far as I know). Tach was around 5900 rpm. Car is wearing 195/65x15 tires. Was still pulling. Could probably get 5mph more, but ran out of room and was catching up to traffic.
Cracker
Anyone who IS looking at a SPEEDOMETER at over 150 mph - particularity on a track (presumably with corners and other cars) should question whether they should be driving. Just sayin'...

T

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jul 15 2017, 07:31 PM) *

"...didn't have time to look at the speedo. 2.o S spec motor"

ablesnead
Tony , you could max your car at Daytona...and plenty of time t look at speedo...not really a fun track to me , a few turns and a long time flat out hoping something doesn't fall off and kill you , my GTU 911 did one seventy three by gearing calculations..
Cracker
Correct. I was referring to a "normal" road course though...Daytona would be an exception. I would still question the rational of such a practice; driving by numbers is amateurish; and amateurs should not be going 170 mph. For instance, I would never be looking at my speed at Road Atlanta, flat through T9 (blind corner!); preparing for the worst case scenario (my car + others'); and head up looking for my Mark and line. I use an AIM Solo that datal logs - the cycle rate is high (1/100 sec) and the accuracy is too. I am not trying to be an overly-conservative was, not even a smart one; just a smart calculating driver.

T
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Apr 24 2007, 01:45 PM) *

I have a 914/6 tube-framed car with a 2.7L 6 in it. I managed 150 according to a gear chart on the long course at Pocono Raceway. I have a wing on the car (and did at the time of the aforementioned run). Prior to adding the wing the car would get pretty light in the rear above 110 mph.

Hey stownsen914 do you have a build blog on your tube-framed car......I'm sure more than just me would be interested in seeing it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.