Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear 5 bolt axles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
woobn8r
I am currently rebuilding my rear arms with a 5 bolt system(hubs/cv/axle). This system must be able to handle the power of a 3.2 in "full abuse" mode...

Erics 4 bolt conversion looks fantastic, but I don't know if the 914 CVs will stand up to the power/abuse...911 SC stuff is available, but requires a custom axle...and therefore costs big bucks.

I remember some members discussing a 944 solution...I know it was strong...and heavy but I don't remember much else....

Does anyone have experience with these 944 hubs/axles/CV joints in a 914 conversion system?

If so:
What parts are necessary for the conversion?
What parts require modification?
Do you have any specs for the modifications?
Is there any drawbacks to this system other than weight?
Would you reccomend this system?
Do you have an alternative system that will handle a 3.2 in "full abuse" mode over a long term.

All input welcome,

Thanks,
Sean

mrhurtalot
i am interested as well in this.
So.Cal.914
Or you can replace the output flanges on the trans as well and use 911 goodies,CV

axles, hubs, stub axles. There are V8 guys useing Eric's stuff, I think they use bus

CV's.
Krieger
Check patrick motorsports, he has an adapter plate ($180) for late 6 bolt 911 axles to 901 trans flange. The 911 axle is about 1/2" shorter than ours. Performance sell new complete late 85-59 axles($300), so prolyget somewhere for 250 each, oh, but you'd still the the 6 bolt stubs. I am figuring throught this now obviously. Other stats fyi stock complete axles weight including stub, 2 joints, axle-assembled, stock 914- 13.5, stock 911 4 bolt- 16 lbs. How much can our stock axles/cvs take in good condition. I got Dave at GPR with his 3.2 telling me hes had no problems. Anyone else...Bueller?
woobn8r
Ok...I think I have my answers...thanks Dave for the archive...

I already have an aluminum 915 so I need...

87-89 944/951 axle assembly (Axle & CVs) Automotion pn 909264
75-84 911 stub axle
74-89 911 hub (to get hubcentric mount)
6mm spacer (already sourced)

This should be a no machining solution that only uses one spacer in order to get the later hubcentric wheel mounting.

Can anyone in the know confirm this set up or pont out where I went wrong?
John
My 911 rear stuff was not big bucks. I did mine on a budget. Granted, I had some of the parts on hand.

I already had the 914-6 rear axle shafts (coarse splined just like 911 parts). I turned the ends to accept the 911 CV joints.

I used 911 stub axles with early 911 hubs. -->
911 CV joint -->
Custom 914-6 axle shaft (turned down on each end per my BLOG) -->
911 CV joint -->
911/915 coarse splined output shaft -->
901 trans

I used 911 rear e-brakes.

All my parts except the cv joints and boots were used and obtained from salvage yards.

If you carefully create a list of parts you need, and systematically collect these parts when they become available, they can be gathered very economically. The hardest parts to find, may be the mid 70's coarse spline output shafts from a 915.

I found out the 911 CV joints could be made to fit the 914/6 axles after reading that the same thing could be done with 944 CV joints on 914/4 axle shafts.

I think the 944 and 911 CV joints have the same OD and bolt pattern as well (but different spline count).

Good luck with your research.

There are many threads on this already.

911 SC rear hubs and stubs can be used if a 5mm spacer is made.

P.S. My setup is using no spacers.
John
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 25 2007, 12:06 PM) *

Ok...I think I have my answers...thanks Dave for the archive...

I already have an aluminum 915 so I need...

87-89 944/951 axle assembly (Axle & CVs) Automotion pn 909264
75-84 911 stub axle
74-89 911 hub (to get hubcentric mount)
6mm spacer (already sourced)

This should be a no machining solution that only uses one spacer in order to get the later hubcentric wheel mounting.

Can anyone in the know confirm this set up or pont out where I went wrong?

I think you may find the stub axle is not required as it is part of the axle assembly.

The spacers for the 911SC hubs are different from the axle spacers. The spacers for the 911SC hubs make up for the 5mm thicker rear wheel bearings that the 911SC's had.

We found the 911 axles to be a bit short and made some 5mm spacers. PMS shows the setup on their website, but the 901 adapters make up for the shortness of the axle assembly.

Our track car uses the late model axles with integrated stub axles. Our first set did not last long. Our second set is holding up better now with the spacers installed.

just a couple thoughts.

good luck to you.

woobn8r
Thanks John,

I already have the 915 tranny so the (six bolt) flange will already fit the 944/951 CVs.
The 944/951 axle assembly is virtually the same length as the 914. so I dont think I need a spacer there.
Stubs on the outer end can be 911 or 944/951. I acquired stubs and hubs from an '84 911 C2 tonight and I already had the 5mm spacer to ensure the hub seats properly with the wider bearing surface of the hub. Lastly my 914 bearings are enroute from a "world" member.

I still need to source the 944/951 axle assemblies (I just gave some away)...I think this will be the most straight forward swap I can do with the parts I have...and that will be robust enough to take the stress...

I was really looking for confirmation that this particular set up was correct....from all the confusing stuff I read.

I absolutely appreciate the input!

Cheers,

Sean

I think the list is right
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.