Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The REALLY OFFICIAL Degreeoff resto/convert/racer thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
degreeoff
BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP, This an announcement of the emergency broadcast system.......IF I had Put my life on hold and NOT gotten some bad news from my Ex (she may move) with my daughter! (far away....) sooo I need to finish my basement off to accommodate an extra bedroom for my daughter for the courts to see I have a "room for her" because we will go to court and it'll be trouble!...so cars on hold whilst I prepare for D day (3 months +(-)

I will bring it to the ECC on a trailer just for fun and will most likely have it painted but bare without engine....SHIT!!
brer
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Aug 10 2007, 04:04 AM) *

The color is POR 137

Thanks I dig it!

Thats my color!

smile.gif

Edit:
Just read the next post, sorry to hear that.
Hope things work out alright. sad.gif
Dr Evil
Dude, I am gonna copy your idea of the edge trim on the hole. Nice thumb3d.gif

Sorry about the Ex sad.gif
degreeoff
Thanks Mike! It looks really sweet in person too ....should be centered on the fan...nice touch and cool to see the ole workhorse running!

SO far as the ex goes....Ah sheet, I never should have RE involved myself with her anyway....but I will finish the car...just not B4 I am done with the basement...hopefully by next spring I'll be sorted and tracking!!
grantsfo
Great work!
degreeoff
Well an update.......Me thinks the whole Daughter momma drama is about over for the time being so I will comence work on the project begining of the new year!! aktion035.gif
type11969
Hope it worked out in your favor, looking forward to updates on your ryde!
VaccaRabite
Wanted to echo what Chris said.

Hope it worked out and your girl does not have to leave the state.

Also, I wanna see pics on how you are doing your "GT" pop-up lights. I'm so going to bite off your design.

Zach
Jeff Hail
I do not like to critique other peoples work. I try to keep my mouth shut unless it's my own project. I am sincerely impressed with the work on this project. Well thought out and executed. Done right! Time and patience always pays off in the end result and this projects reflects exactly that. Even the little girl approves! I am not a fan of green but I love this one. Can't wait to see it completed. Well done so far! Kudo's

degreeoff
OK so some pics that were saved and work done before the ordeal.....

1- fresh off the forklift with a custom body brace to prevent scratches (this was a couple weeks before the issues started with the ex)

2- I forgot how small the car was having been on the rot for so long!

3-My secret GT headlight raising mechanism...I WILL post a better explaination of this later

4- LIKE a JACKASS I went ahead and painted the undersides of all the bumpers and such BEFORE I checked fitment.... mad.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
And then I tried to mount everything....... chair.gif WTF.gif mad.gif

So the next 6 pics show briefly how bad it was and all the trimmin and shortning and smoothin I went through to get em straight and B E A U tiful....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
And lastly how she sat for the last 3 months......

Click to view attachment
daveyboybadion
I hope to do much the same build some day. Really looks great. Now quit teasing us and get back to work...daveyboy
GS Guy
Bumpers looking good! (now that is)
I think the color looks great - going to be a great looking and eye catching car when you're done.
Is that a Megan racing catch can you're running? How's the quality and overall impression?

Jeff
degreeoff
Meagn racing catch....what is ummmm that? you mean the hood pins? Straight out of summit racing
GS Guy
Ooo - meant the oil catch can/breather you've got mounted in the trunk.

IPB Image

Jeff
degreeoff
Naw its some Ebay buy...and it fit fine and looks good enough, as to its workings....well I gotta get the engine in then I'll know...As Zach is planning I want to have this beast done by spring for the autoX and club racing festivities!!
degreeoff
Now if only she were done when I wake up Xmas morn....I will settle for the look on my daughter/neice/nephews and girlfreinds faces when they open their gifts!

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Thats awesome dude!
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Zach
degreeoff
Well I am on it now....Progress includes teardown of my 2.4 ltr doner which was a STEAL!! I found this motor on the bird board and bought it because it was a 2.4 with a 7r case for my # 2 engine . Guy had it sitting in the kitchen of his high $$$ NW DC apt on the 9th floor. it came complete!! with hyd tensioners, SSI's, complete CIS, dizzy with Ign module upgrade, and turbo valve covers and something I just discovered...a neat billit sump plate cover.....I paid $950....I sold the CIS for $275 and the rest will pay for plus profit me I am sure as well as give me a 'T' motor 7R case that will end up with my 2.2 'S' pistons and 'S' cams with 'S' spec ported heads!!!!1 Ha ha ha ha ha...2 engines @ 200+ HP....More power Ru hu hu hugh. (yes I will be looking for a ass dragger after I finish this car)

The short block you see is a 50k mile motor already line bored with case savers and will be a 2.7 with 9.5 to 1 Ross P & C's, GE 40 cams, ported heads, webers and a crank fire ignition. beerchug.gif You see my bench where I have yellow storage bins full of all my rebuild hardware from PP with typed labels...anal I know!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
You sold the CIS for 250? I would have thought you could have got a lot more for that.

Nice score. I must say I'm kinda jealous. I really want to build a 2.4 into a 2.5 myself.
degreeoff
Well I got the P&C's on...deck height @ .987mm....ouuu its tight but it'll live with the Ross pistons and GE40 cams...while installing I A) forgot while on piston/cylinder #5 that the wrist pins needed 2 spiralloc retainers...(I had a bag of of them and thought there were 6...LOL) @ 5 I realized that there were 12 MINUS 1! that I now wait for from Cali.... AND cool.gif that one of my cylinders had a wee bit of pitting on the sealing surface that I needed to swap out...THANK THE LORD I had a spare set from one of my spare motors....of the same height group

I will keep ya'll up to date as I progress as this is my first 911 build and I am SURE I will F up a few more times.....Cam timing is going to be a bitch.... smash.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

crash914
Nice!

Give me a call if you need a hand, I got nothing but time now....
degreeoff
Well Herb if all goes well I will be having my own start her and tune her party this spring with maybe a ECC held here??? I have a fair amount of room for it.
jaminM3
I thought less than 1.3mm of deck height is pushing it? You may want to do the valve to piston clearance check just to be sure. confused24.gif
Lou W
Sure is looking good. smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
degreeoff
Ok so I started out with waynes book How to rebuild and modify porsche 911 engines......OKay it was a big help BUT WTF.gif with some of the writing....It took me 6- re-reads to understand some of it ( all cam timing issues before it clicked into place....THEN it really clicked. I could do one of these in my sleep.

So the spiralocs came in from Cali, folks over there @ Ross pistons kick ass! They just sent me some @ no charge even though I didnt originally buy the pistons cool shit.

Pics are of the mock up / preassemble showing cam timing and the sprocket depth measurements. I got the tools off Ebay and they were a hell of alot cheaper than the pelican tools biggrin.gif and the last one is of my purdy baby all set and ready to be sealed up. I have all my valve covers/cam tower covers/fan/fan housing/ intake manifolds/throttle linkage/K&N airfilter tops-bottoms getting powder coated now...it'll be a red and black motife' (sp?)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GS Guy
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jan 27 2008, 09:27 AM) *

I have all my valve covers/cam tower covers/fan/fan housing/ intake manifolds/throttle linkage/K&N airfilter tops-bottoms getting powder coated now...it'll be a red and black motife' (sp?)

Who's doing your powder coat work? Local? Always on the lookout for a convenient PC shop in Columbia/Laurel area.
Had work done a couple of places - Powder Coat Finishes in Balto (excellent work but looooong lead time) and East Coast Powder coat (who's website now appears to be gone, not suprised as I going to recommend not using their services), and another place just off Rt.1 and 32 (can't remember the name - good work but $$$).
I know of another guy in Beltsville doing a home business, but haven't had any work done there - yet.
Jeff
degreeoff
Premier Powder Coating
(301) 772-3200
8521 Rainswood Dr, Hyattsville, MD 20785

He's about 2weeks out and charged me 200-250 for fan strap, fan, fan housing carbs linkage, V/C's, cam covers, 1 block off plate, aircleaner base/tops and manifold.
I saw some of his work on MC parts very neat and clean.
amallagh
Just seen your thread for the first time. Wow !!
This is more like a religious cult then a car project.
The word perfectionist doesn't even come close.
degreeoff
Thanks man, I believe I have being doing the best I can. I will say that there are flaws but few and far between IMHO. I have enjoyed the 6 engine so far as I do plan on a 911(73 RS look....drool) for my next project!! I have a sweet engine ready to be built for that one.
crash914
Hey Josh, I just picked up your old hood and trunk lid from a guy on the eastern shore...you need them back?

I will be digging into the car tomorrow to see what I have...
degreeoff
Herb thats funny...I gave them away to him for a 'grass roots' racing deal.....Funny how they came full circle. Now you have the old flares, and lids from ole betsy...
crash914
I thought it was funny too...the car was pretty far gone. One of these days I would like to do a grassroots car...this one is just not it...
degreeoff
OK so I wanted to wheel her out for a few body peices on pics....NOTICED some SERIOUS waves in the hood (fr) ...damn it all shows in natural light!!! (back to bondo!!)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
Oh forgot to mention....I just signed up for the April 12/13 DE @ summit point so pressure is ON BABY!! driving.gif aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Racing916
Excuse my language, but it looks fu*k#ng amazing
degreeoff
Well after 3 fricken weeks!!! I should have my powder coated stuff back from the dude @ Premier....been polishing wheels (no fun BTW, pics to come after paint!) and sent off my GT door panel pulls and bits to Bob @ ABC (pics when they come in!).

My carb parts came in from Richard @ PMO. 36mm chokes (VS 38 that were in there) and 160 mains (VS 155) and F5 emulsion tubes (VS F26) all per his recomendations...SOOOooo it was time to tear em apart and rebuild.

WHO KNEW??? there were so many parts in an IDS carb.....Funny thing is after taking it ALL apart I understand how it works....Carbs look DAMN good after 40 years dont you think?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
Fk yeah!! now I can seal her up.....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
KIck it up a notch!

Click to view attachment
crash914
Get Er Done!!!!!
degreeoff
Hey Herb,

I may require your assistance and any one else who may be able to help get this beast off the stand!....I am guessing 3 /4 people total.????Anyone local wanna plan for next weekend?
LarryR
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Feb 23 2008, 08:17 PM) *

Hey Herb,

I may require your assistance and any one else who may be able to help get this beast off the stand!....I am guessing 3 /4 people total.????Anyone local wanna plan for next weekend?

2 people for a flat six is plenty. I am guessing just from stand to floor jack ... just squat dont bend or you will be in for weeks at the chiropractor beerchug.gif super sweet project.
crash914
I can do it anytime... even during the day could be ok..
I do have a new cell #. PM sent..
plas76targa
I might be able to help. Kids B-ball is over now. Been reading this thread. I'll check here or pm me if next weekend. Herb, if the weather's dry I might bring the 914 .. I could pick you up. Gotta warn ya tho' - I don't have the heat hooked up.

Herb - you think the engine dolly I built might help?
jaminM3
QUOTE(LarryR @ Feb 23 2008, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(degreeoff @ Feb 23 2008, 08:17 PM) *

Hey Herb,

2 people for a flat six is plenty. I am guessing just from stand to floor jack ... just squat dont bend or you will be in for weeks at the chiropractor beerchug.gif super sweet project.

At RRC '07 they were moving a 3.2 from the back of a truck to a van and they had 3 or 4 people trying to move it and they dropped it in the gravel. I would play it safe and have 4 people.. confused24.gif
jd74914
Really? My dad and I picked up a complete 2.2 w/ MFI and walked it a ways to put it into our truck bed. If you are careful it should be fine. smile.gif
crash914
The good thing is that it only has to go down...gravity should help with that...

I have moved a 4 cylinder by myself...another time my wife helped move one through a doorway over a curb...

Matt, sounds good. I would like to ride in a running 914...
Rleog
I'm late catching up with this incredible thread.

Could you elaborate a little about your EZ wiring harness. I've got one hell of a rat's nest to sort out with mine.

Thanks
degreeoff
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Feb 25 2008, 10:47 AM) *

At RRC '07 they were moving a 3.2 from the back of a truck to a van and they had 3 or 4 people trying to move it and they dropped it in the gravel. I would play it safe and have 4 people.. confused24.gif

agree.gif And with ALL the $$ and time I have in this......well If you all wanna come over next weekend I could plan on a few steaks on the grill! Its a BYOB as I dont drink though. (doesnt bother me if you do.)

gratuitious (sp?) pics....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.