Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The REALLY OFFICIAL Degreeoff resto/convert/racer thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
degreeoff
IT all really started when I bought her in 98...here she was

Click to view attachment

It all started when.....after many (5 or so) years of using and trying to improve my 4 cylinder performance I blew a heli coiled plug at an autoX....well that was the end I had already sunk a shit load of $$$$ into my ride and another shit load of time and I was DONE!! time for a sixer!! see the below web site for things I did previously to my lil friend by the time I blew the plug it was a 2056 with a KH header and MSD ign.

http://www.daybydayco.com/car4web/914.html

OK the scoop (AKA what I have bought so far)

-Engines [u](3)

A 2.4 ltr 2.4 with a 7r case and CIS.

A basket case 2.4 with rebuilt and ported heads, 2.2S P&C's and S+ cams +all new "stuff" to assemble it.

Lastly a rebuil 2.7 with all the good machine work done newly rebuilt heads, Ross 9.8 P&C's and GE 40 cams.

For induction I have weber 40IDS carbs

For exhaust I have European racing headers and muffler

For Ignition I have a HPV Crank fire setup

For Fuel I have a Carter rotory pump and a 15 gallon cell all lines will be AN/SS braided.

Suspension is out of a SC with Bilstein shocks, 22mm front sway stock rear sway, mono balls up front. 21mm TBars and 180lb springs

The body panels are ALL FG hood, trunk,skirts,valances,bumpers and flares.

The oil system is stock 914-6 tank and Earls front mount cooler with GT shroud

MISC stuff in no particular order.....solid mounts, Momo wheel, quick release hub, WM short shifter, Momo seats, GT door pulls, Pilot fogs, NEW Porsche exterior mirrors and a shit load I am forgetting.

Here is what she started as.......

Click to view attachment
degreeoff
as I got under (no pun) way...EWWW!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
Then there were rear pan issues......with of course clutch tube issues

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
and then there were new pans!! AHHHHHHH biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
now let us see a mock up of the panels in place?? BTW you will see cage pics throughout these photos....the main bars were pre bent all needed fitting and my tie in to suspension points was a custom jobby aktion035.gif OH I forgot the 911 dash conversion peices in my parts stash descript!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

degreeoff
The next few pics are of the things I had to weld in...engine mount, misc holes, hood pin locations my reworked tail shifter boot an few holes in the engine bay, seems under the rear suspension, stiff kit for the trailing arms la de da
degreeoff
more.... welder.gif
degreeoff
1 more

Click to view attachment
degreeoff
some pics of my oil cooler arrangement

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
seats are important I hear? Part of this was welding in bolts to hold the seats!

Click to view attachment
degreeoff
Some cool shots of my fuel system and oil cooler shroud

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
a few more of my rear end suspension bracing, hood pin brackets and hoods with hood pins and a brief shot of my GT engine lid!
degreeoff
this brings me up to date with this........

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Your car looks like it is going to be better than new when you are finished. Everything looks really nice. Wanna do mine next biggrin.gif
degreeoff
sure all for the low price of 1 MILLION dollars......:-)
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif Sounds good. I'll write you a check for that sad.gif Can't wait to see what your car looks like when it is all finished.
degreeoff
niether can I, the plan is white centered fuch's white single racing stripes and white circles on the doors....
robby750
Makes me so proud that my car now uses the old front sway bar that used to live in his. smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
Sounds awsome. I like the race car touches. Can't wait to see it.
jonferns
wow....insane
watsonrx13
Most excellent.... smilie_pokal.gif

-- Rob
crash914
Josh, looks great and lots of progress from the last time I saw it.

Want to help paint mine?

I got to check out the progress soon. When is the fire up party?
degreeoff
Well SHIT! I am now going to need more paint for sure.... (after mixing) 4 gallons total applied (self etch/primer/color/clear) and I have not touched the bolt on bits!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
DAMN Sept. 15th coming quick!!

New stuff done (BTW IMHO get this shit powder coated...its worth it!!) agree.gif headbang.gif

-Painted misc underside parts

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
ALSO word of wisdom...the rod for braking HAS to be lengthened by about 3/4" to work with a 23mm MC and the pipes that lead in from the reseviour(SP?) bent and the DAMN thing BARLEY FITS!!! but it will fit. Brake line bending is not as easy as it looks (yes I fronted for the $40 brake line kit on Ebay....)... smilie_pokal.gif I missed my pedal cluster pic but they are PURDY! having a cabinet sand blaster is DA BOMB!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
thesey914
Gosh this is going to be a very nice car -great details. Lookd forward to following the progress.
MJHanna
Nice Job!!!
woobn8r
Beautiful Job!!!

Is that fuel tank a custom jobbie...
Where'dya get it?....very nice...

S.
Lou W
Awesome job. drooley.gif beerchug.gif
degreeoff
fuel tank is a RCI located here http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku and it was inexpensive too
degreeoff
This evenings work......Sept 15th!!! good GOD MAN!! includes fitting the bushings...PIA! front suspension assembly left hand brake line, finish install of all Fuel lines to the engine bay, finish rear brake lines and of course my little 3 year old to showcase it for us! yellowsleep[1].gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
crash914
WOW! Looking better and better! I smell a smilie_pokal.gif on the 15th.

Mine won't be near ready.. Transmission all apart and I am waiting on heads. Of course, I still need to finish the paint and body...

Looks great Josh!
degreeoff
OK so the project goes on and on and on and on and did I mention on?

#1- pic of my pretty rebuilt pedal cluster (I know you all couldn't wait!)
#2- pic of my "EZ wiring harness" (129 bucks? 12 circuit)
#3- Starting to install it and sort it and make a hot rod harness with an engine in the front fit a mid engined car! Harder than it looks!! As I go I slip 4' lengths of heat shrink over it and seal it up...hope I didnt make a mistake!!
#4-nice and NEAT down the tunnel....
#5-nice and neat in the engine bay.....
#6-nice and neat in the trunk....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
Ok last shot....I installed the oil cooler and NICE AND NEAT wiring harness, the tank, pump lines etc etc etc mounted the oil cooler shroud and damn near broke my arm patting myself on the back! mueba.gif

Click to view attachment
JPB
"Sometimes sickness transforms itself into greatness."

Words to live by, by:JPB

That is a sick assed ride bro! Nice job! beer.gif
degreeoff
Ok so I HAVE been working the last few days @ a JOB and a wee bit on the car...OMG! Sept 15th!!

So let me tell you the devil is in the details...SHEEZ! I thought it would be quick and simple BUT as I have once again learned the "custom" sheet takes time!

OK so I finished the oil cooler plumbing, as luck would have it the two bolts that held the old rear brake balancer were in just the right spot to put the bracket with the Mocal oil thermostat (I had to offset the bolt holes about 1/4") and the plumbing all fits in there even the adapters for AN fittings...just a little manicure of the rear quarter panel that will not be seen.

I also ran the HUGE battery cable and mounted the cutoff switch and lastly figured out a B E A utiful spot for the Crankfire setup. A few nylon spacers and it went right over the top of my harness mounting bolts/eyes....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
BTW I was thinking of a piece of lexan for the hole I am about to cut in the firewall for timing the car...be pretty cool to see the engine working....... any thoughts on that?
DrifterJay
Do it!
degreeoff
Woops CANCEL that thought.......I dont even NEED a hole cut its an HPX dial in your timing.....right??
degreeoff
OK so the list goes on....First off a couple of weeks ago I flew my tranny up to Doc Evil to have him check it out and put in the Billet Intermediate plate, then went up Sat and picked it up...Kudo's man!...Thats a headache well worth the cashola!

- things not pictured are wiring the tank and fuel pump, also installed the sub belt eye bolts..... DONE
-wired the HPV ignition, interestingly enough the relay for my hot start kit worked for the relay on the HPV....WHO KNEW??..... DONE
-finished plumbing the fuel line to the rear of the engine bay.....DONE
-installed the oil catch tank and plumbing.....DONE
-installed the steering column and the momo adapter and the quick release, greased all bearings cleaned ETC ETC ETC...smooth as silk now....DONE
-installed 911 dash and built the lower cover panels as well as installed the Moroso OVER PRICED fricken 5 switch panel.....DONE

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
Well I just bought this early (old but new and 1/2 modified) muffler for my 914-6 conversion and after cutting off the old tail piece found this "how to" sheet inside...

Its a simple mod and easy to do IF
-you have a welder
-have a die grinder cutoff wheel and or dremel
-have a body saw and or a dremel

The 2" pipes were already on when I bought the muffler. Here it is

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
The "Hottie"

Click to view attachment
degreeoff
OK long few days!! The dash is all wired.....GOD I hope it works....won't know that until I get a battery in and the painting done...call me an IDIOT! but I think I can, I think I did, AH SHEET! it'll work! I now know the wiring harness and schematic like the back of my hand. (a continuity meter is my FRIEND!)

S0........ the dash and gauges DONE!
-the horn is VERY well hidden...can you see it in the first pic? DONE!
-all gauges, and electrical items in the front of the car DONE!
-dash mounted (like my creative use of truck bed liner?)
-aluminum floorboard and exhaust hanger ORDERED!
-Custom carpet kit ORDERED!
-oil catch tank DONE
-Battery tray and ground DONE!
-GT headlight release cable housings mounted (almost DONE!)

enough I am tired......I will quit smoking cigarettes when this project is DONE! so hope everything works else I'll be smoking for another year!!
degreeoff
OK long few days!! The dash is all wired.....GOD I hope it works....won't know that until I get a battery in and the painting done...call me an IDIOT! but I think I can, I think I did, AH SHEET! it'll work! I now know the wiring harness and schematic like the back of my hand. (a continuity meter is my FRIEND!)

S0........ the dash and gauges DONE!
-the horn is VERY well hidden...can you see it in the first pic? DONE!
-all gauges, and electrical items in the front of the car DONE!
-dash mounted (like my creative use of truck bed liner?)
-aluminum floorboard and exhaust hanger ORDERED!
-Custom carpet kit ORDERED!
-oil catch tank DONE
-Battery tray and ground DONE!
-GT headlight release cable housings mounted (almost DONE!)

enough I am tired......I will quit smoking cigarettes when this project is DONE! so hope everything works else I'll be smoking for another year!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
krazykonrad
Man, that is oneawesome ride! And i thought it was pretty cool BEFORE you started. Keep up the great work. I cant wait to see the engine in! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Konrad, 72/4
degreeoff
I know its tacky...but safe (1/4" lexan) and EASY to do timing...not to mention I'll get to see the BEAST @ work w00t.gif The strip is a VW product...so trunk edging?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Luke
Wow .. nice job! ...

I really like the striped down look ... and the green too .. what color is it ? ...
degreeoff
The color is POR 137

Thanks I dig it!
charliew
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Aug 10 2007, 06:04 AM) *

The color is POR 137

Thanks I dig it!

This is a great build. I really like all the detailed pictures. I'm starting a subie conversion and have printed many of your pictures for reference of body details and your ideas. I am trying to decide how to stiffen the body for street use. I am going to build a front motor mount similiar to your's for the subie. The only suggestion I would give is to run the ground to the motor or tranny first then to the body or also to the body. I would not count on a forever good ground through the body to the motor. I imagine you are going to use the ground strap from the tranny to the body. This means you have two areas that have to remain good. Also use dielectric gease on all the connections. A few years down to road and you will be happy you did. You have gone to great detail on your build, I love it. What brand and type of paint did you use? I read where it was self etching primer so I guess it was two part epoxy primer and probably non sanding so that will probably be forever. Is the top coat single stage urethane? I wish the 914 group could get a fleet discount from ppg or some other company. We could cut paint cost in half. For a short time I could get a discount on ppg and it was about 40% less on the price. I'm anxious to see the completion. Thanks again for the pictures I probably would have paid cash for them.
Charlie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.