Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrecked 914 part 2: The insurance offer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Dr Evil
Today finds me wondering what is going on on their end. I got an email regarding the one I sent them with the valuation information. Their email asked where the recipts were for the upgrades I did to my car. WTF.gif I am wondering why that matters considering their tune had been that htey are not going to pay for any of that. I dont have any recipts as I did the work my self and I had all the parts sitting around for a few years until I finally put them on the car. WTF is going on? What should I do?
I reiterated that what I sent them was intended to bolster my position that my car, in stock form before any of the expensive mods for which they said they would not pay, was worth considerably more than the initial settlement offer. They seemed to act like that was not of interest to them now and they only want to know what the parts cost. A strange change in behavior.
So.Cal.914
I would write them a reciept, you did it, whats your time worth?
brer
so they are asking "what you got into it" as a way to figure "what you'll take" ??
ericread
At this point I would think that you need a professional appraisal of your car. Since you cannot show what it cost to put together your car, you need to show a fair valuation of the car by a neutral third-party that has the professional ability to provide such an appraisal. Possibly someone like... George Hussey?

Dr Evil
I already offered to have George and my friend, Ron the 914 dealer and appraiser talk to them, but they are not biting yet. I still need to get George the remainder of the damage estimate so he can complete his analysis.
ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 13 2008, 01:12 PM) *

I already offered to have George and my friend, Ron the 914 dealer and appraiser talk to them, but they are not biting yet. I still need to get George the remainder of the damage estimate so he can complete his analysis.

They probably would love to not consider such an appraisal. However, it you provide it to them, it is something they cannot ignore.

In my audit work, if I don't see it, I don't have to consider it. Once I see an issue, I cannot exclude it from my work.

Dr Evil
They are not allowing me to force them to talk with my appraisers. I will need to get my friend and George to write something up so that I can submit it to them. They were apparently unimpressed with the stuff I have submitted them already.
rick 918-S
Yes, do everything in writting. The company has taken their position. If you want it to change you need to prove up your side. Do it now or you will soon receive a check in the mail in the amount of their offer less the salvage value and your deductible. This protects the company from bad faith by getting a check out for the undisputed amount. The ball is in your court. You can not wait until they feel like making more calls. Right or wrong, they have done their work.
Dr Evil
So far there is not undisputed amount. I have disputed it completely and they can not send me anything until I say OK. I have several levels of recourse still left to me including the umpire. I do not think it will go there, though.
plymouth37
Go get 'em tiger!
Joe Bob
Send an inquiry to the State Insurance Commission asking about your rights as an insured and good faith insurance adjustments...make sure they get copied.

Also, don't you have a date stamped email or other offer for the car prior to the accident?
ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 13 2008, 06:32 PM) *

So far there is not undisputed amount. I have disputed it completely and they can not send me anything until I say OK. I have several levels of recourse still left to me including the umpire. I do not think it will go there, though.

Mike;

I can tell you're an agressive guy who likes to feel "in control". Definately not a bad thing for a doctor. But relax for just a minute. You're getting some really valuable advice in this string, but you seem to want to argue rather than listen to what's being said.

"Everything in writing".

This is a very important part of a claims process. It doesn't matter a bit what's been promised or told to you verbally. But you should know that every word you have said to the Insurance company has been transcribed in your record. The claim of the ambulance person; know now that the Insurance company has her claims in your records. You are fighting a battle of documentation, and unless you provide written documentation to the Insurance company, you are fighting a losing battle.

Your personal claim of expenses are not important to the Insurance company. You need the dis-interested third-party expert opinion of the value of your vehicle. An opinion which is has no conflict of interest between you and the party providing the opinion.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the adjustor. Every Joe thinks their car is special and worth $100,000.00. Now this guy comes along with a 35 year-old car, which Porsche itself doesn't really acknowledge as one of their own, and claims it's worth a ton of money. Sure, he put a lot of personal hours into fixing up the car, but it's not like a Porsche dealership was paid to perform this work. If you were him/her, what would you think?

You may think that I'm being a dick by saying what I've written. But I'm writing this as a friend. Try to get yourself away from an emotional point of view and look at this as a business. You are being forced to sell your car and the buyer doesn't understand the valuation. How are you going to convince the buyer that your valuation is fair? Should the buyer simply accept the word of the sellers valuation, or should the buyer demand documentation which demonstrated the value is fair?

Anyway, we're on your side and we're all here to help.

wilchek
wow Mike you have had a couple of rough weeks. Hang in there, just be thankful no one got hurt and I am sure things will play put in your favor.

I pulled this from Hagerty web site. Not totally an open policy, but it is liberal enough as it states limited pleasure driving.

Usage
Hagerty provides coverage for vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.
Storage
Collector vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.
Driving records
Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents are acceptable. We are not able to insure those who have experienced major infractions such as a DUI, reckless driving or excessive speed violations within the past 3-6 years.* All household driving records are subject to review by an underwriter.
Regular-use vehicles
Each licensed household driver needs to have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving and must maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ericread @ May 13 2008, 09:56 PM) *

Mike;

I can tell you're an agressive guy who likes to feel "in control". Definately not a bad thing for a doctor. But relax for just a minute. You're getting some really valuable advice in this string, but you seem to want to argue rather than listen to what's being said.

"Everything in writing".

This is a very important part of a claims process. It doesn't matter a bit what's been promised or told to you verbally. But you should know that every word you have said to the Insurance company has been transcribed in your record. The claim of the ambulance person; know now that the Insurance company has her claims in your records. You are fighting a battle of documentation, and unless you provide written documentation to the Insurance company, you are fighting a losing battle.

Your personal claim of expenses are not important to the Insurance company. You need the dis-interested third-party expert opinion of the value of your vehicle. An opinion which is has no conflict of interest between you and the party providing the opinion.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the adjustor. Every Joe thinks their car is special and worth $100,000.00. Now this guy comes along with a 35 year-old car, which Porsche itself doesn't really acknowledge as one of their own, and claims it's worth a ton of money. Sure, he put a lot of personal hours into fixing up the car, but it's not like a Porsche dealership was paid to perform this work. If you were him/her, what would you think?

You may think that I'm being a dick by saying what I've written. But I'm writing this as a friend. Try to get yourself away from an emotional point of view and look at this as a business. You are being forced to sell your car and the buyer doesn't understand the valuation. How are you going to convince the buyer that your valuation is fair? Should the buyer simply accept the word of the sellers valuation, or should the buyer demand documentation which demonstrated the value is fair?

Eric,
I know your heart is in the right place, but the things you advise me to do have already been done and I said so. I am not arguing with anyone here. I am letting them know what I have done in response to things they have brought up. If anyone here, my friends of many years no less, think that what I have done is insufficient to address the concern that they pose then they are welcomed to, and inclined to in my experience, tell me where they think I missed the point.

On another note, I find it humorous that you think I am an aggressive guy. smile.gif Those that have met me and know me can attest that I am pretty damn laid back and I have no aspirations for being in control of everything. wink.gif It is amazing how we come across in prose vs how we actually are in real life.

To recap what I have done to date (digest version):

- Enlisted the help of George Hussey and my friend Ron Light. I have asked both to give me a written valuation of my car. Ron has said he will have it ready tomorrow.

- Sent the ins people copies of excelence values from 2000-20007. Sent them the info from the NADA valuation for my zip code.

- Continued to work with the ins company in a calm and professional way. I am not trying to fleece the company. I find doing such morally reprehensible. I have made no personal claim of expenses thus far as they told me it is only covered as a stock 914. Thus, I sent them valuation and expect compensation for my car with regards to it being stock and in great shape as evidenced by pics, and statements. They are the ones that changed their tune and now want upgrade info and receipts. (of which I dont have)

-The ambulance people are not involved. The cop that wrote the ticket isnt even involved yet. I have copies of all of our comms. I have not said anything damning or incendiary so transcription is not a concern to me. I had considered that since they tell you they record all conversations.

I think that is most of the points.
Root_Werks
Dude. sad.gif
rick 918-S
Yes there is an undisputed amount. The offer they made to you. Unless you properly document your rebuttle they will, by law have to cut you a check and make a good faith attempt to settle your claim based on the current facts. (Theirs)

The one big threat for a carrier is bad faith and the punitive damage that goes along with it. A company will rarely be faulted for a fast settlement even if it's low. But let them hold onto a check and not at least pay what they figured the damages are and that can open a can of whoop Ass they don't want to deal with.

The early payment is done as a method of file documentation in the event this becomes a legal matter or a commerce dept inquiry.

Everything is documented in writting. Every call, every conversation, every offer, every inquiry. And the notes are very one sided. Should you need to dispute this matter with an arbitrator it's your paper trail against theirs. You should be making the same: time, dated notes on every conversation. I've said way more than I wanted to here.

Oh BTW: I'm saying the above because I happen to know the value they placed on your car is incorrect based on what we all know and the resources we have. I'm sorry you had to go through all this. Your a stand up guy. I really think we should have a comprehensive "How to handle your insurance claim for the best possible outcome" thread. I would be willing to contribute.
Dr Evil
Shhhhh, say no more, there are ears here wink.gif

That is what I have been told from other sources as well. Secret sources. I have officially rebutted their offer and have opened my appraisal clause. I will keep an ear out to see if they are intending to send me a check right off. I will contact them tomorrow and make sure that I am clear that I have rebutted and that it is documented. Thanks for the tips smile.gif
zymurgist
Good luck Mike. Low balling you on a car like yours is something nobody should have to endure.

I don't know about Hagerty, but I just put both of my classics on Grundy this year. Agreed value coverage with annual automatic increase in coverage, no annual mileage limit, I have to maintain a different car as daily driver, etc.
ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 13 2008, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ May 13 2008, 09:56 PM) *

Mike;

"Everything in writing".

Eric,
I know your heart is in the right place, but the things you advise me to do have already been done and I said so. I am not arguing with anyone here. I am letting them know what I have done in response to things they have brought up. If anyone here, my friends of many years no less, think that what I have done is insufficient to address the concern that they pose then they are welcomed to, and inclined to in my experience, tell me where they think I missed the point.

On another note, I find it humorous that you think I am an aggressive guy. smile.gif Those that have met me and know me can attest that I am pretty damn laid back and I have no aspirations for being in control of everything. wink.gif It is amazing how we come across in prose vs how we actually are in real life.

To recap what I have done to date (digest version):

- Enlisted the help of George Hussey and my friend Ron Light. I have asked both to give me a written valuation of my car. Ron has said he will have it ready tomorrow.

- Sent the ins people copies of excelence values from 2000-20007. Sent them the info from the NADA valuation for my zip code.

- Continued to work with the ins company in a calm and professional way. I am not trying to fleece the company. I find doing such morally reprehensible. I have made no personal claim of expenses thus far as they told me it is only covered as a stock 914. Thus, I sent them valuation and expect compensation for my car with regards to it being stock and in great shape as evidenced by pics, and statements. They are the ones that changed their tune and now want upgrade info and receipts. (of which I dont have)

-The ambulance people are not involved. The cop that wrote the ticket isnt even involved yet. I have copies of all of our comms. I have not said anything damning or incendiary so transcription is not a concern to me. I had considered that since they tell you they record all conversations.

I think that is most of the points.

My apologies if I misrepresented anything. You obviously have things well in hand. Good luck.

Eric
Dr Evil
Now we are talking smile.gif

The revised total is $16,633.00
Less the new salvage estimate of $2000 and my $1000 deductible they are offering $14,510.98

I think this is a reasonable amount. What say yous?
VaccaRabite
Mike, when I saw that you bumped this thread my first thought was "Stop posting unless you have some good news, dammit!"

Well, I'd say this was good news. Take the money, buy back the car, and be happy (as one can post accident).

I'm glad this chapter is closing and an new one can begin.

Zach
So.Cal.914
smilie_pokal.gif One for the Good Guys...
type11969
Sounds fair, congrats!
Joe Bob
Well, it's a LOT better....is it acceptable to you?

Seems like it might be as you're asking for validation on an open forum. I wouldn't put it past them to be monitoring this thread....if I had as much in it as I think you do, I'd make a counter offer.

A legitimate offer as to what you feel it's value should be. Be reasonable as you DID have the extras under the radar and not specifically expressed in your coverage.

Hopefully on your next ride you have a more comprehensive protection package.
LvSteveH
All considering that seems pretty fair. It looks like they may have actually done their homework as they increased the buyback to $2000. It always frustrates me when a fair resolution requires a lot of work and pressure. That means some other guy would have likely been screwed over in the same situation.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 16 2008, 11:48 AM) *

Well, I'd say this was good news. Take the money, buy back the car, and be happy (as one can post accident).

agree.gif

Mike, if you don't find the offer insulting, I take it that you consider it to be fair. If so, take it and start stripping the carcass.
Dr Evil
The only thing that bothers me is that they multiplied the salvage x4 as well. A junked 914 stock would not be worth $2k salvage, a /6 might. And a my car with the /6 stuff is worth more than $16k. I will see if I can get back some of the salvage. I was just about to send them a valuation from my appraiser for $30K....I think that shook them to make an offer.
plymouth37
That offer sounds pretty good especially if you get your wrecked car back, that car has got to be full of parts ripe for the picking. Find a clean chassis and start transfering parts!
Dr Evil
Ya, the car has a good deal of $$ left in parts that is worth me keeping it.
So.Cal.914
Evil, aren't you being paid for your car and then being allowed to buy back a 2.7 and all sorts of goodies to boot? For 2K ? I think Mike made a good point about:

Be reasonable as you DID have the extras under the radar and not specifically expressed in your coverage.

All and all I am happy for you, considering you lost your baby, You get to rebuild

it and that insurance companies have no problem with screwing the public. My .02
KELTY360
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 16 2008, 09:42 AM) *

Evil, aren't you being paid for your car and then being allowed to buy back a 2.7 and all sorts of goodies to boot? For 2K ? I think Mike made a good point about:

Be reasonable as you DID have the extras under the radar and not specifically expressed in your coverage.

All and all I am happy for you, considering you lost your baby, You get to rebuild

it and that insurance companies have no problem with screwing the public. My .02

There's a lesson here. Your coverage was for a cherry 914-4 for which you established a much greater value than what the insurance co. offered. They looked at your research and altered their their offer based on a more realistic value of a 914-4. In essence, they bought the car. Once they bought it, they 'discovered' all these add on goodies that weren't part of the deal so they're offering those goodies back to you at a value higher than -4 prices, but still well below the actual value of those parts.

My bet is that if you had worked to just establish the value of the car as a -4 you would still be getting the same offer but the salvage value wouldn't have quadrupled.

I think your idea of a classic thread dealing with insurance settlements is a great idea. Your experience, and those of others, helps set the bar for 914 values when calamities occur and owners are at the mercy of uneducated adjusters.

Sorry you lost that beautiful car after all the work you put into it. Now go build that badass bus!
Dr Evil
The shitty thing is, I didnt push the /6 stuff with them. Once they told me that those parts were not considered, I left it alone and pursued the /4 value only. I was hoping for only slightly more than what was offered, that $2K kinda sucked it.
TravisNeff
That sounds like a pretty good offer, the only heartburn is the salvage amount. If they cut the salvage by 1K or at least 500 that, to me would make it right.
Dr Evil
I just got off the phone with the insurance lady and she was much nicer now. Go figure. I asked her about the discrepancy in the /6 salvage price with the /4 settlement price and she said that they did value the car as a /6......they added $700 to the total for the engine dry.gif and subtracted $300 for the missing door panels...which I told them were in the trunk and complemented the attention to detail that the inspector had dry.gif I told them that I have a valuation from an appraiser for $30K, but that I was not interested in going after that amount. I countered with $16K and I keep the car. The lady said she would talk to her adjuster and have him call me to explain. I cant see them dragging this out over another $1500, and I think that I am being fair considering if they are now going to accept it as a /6 conversion I could be an ass and try to get more.
r_towle
I would take the money, get the salvage car and go buy a nice conv, already done...
Then strip you car and sell whatever you dont need.

Rich
LvSteveH
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 16 2008, 01:38 PM) *

I would take the money, get the salvage car and go buy a nice conv, already done...
Then strip you car and sell whatever you dont need.

Rich

That's some pretty darn good advice
Dr Evil
I wont buy a converted car. Its not my thing. I have all the stuff to do a transfer to a good tub and I will be getting that tub done up by Scotty (paint and body work). It will likely cost the same, but I will know it was done right by me like its predecessor. It looks like this is gonna drag on until Mon, at least as I havent heard back from them.
wilchek
Sounds like you are going to get enough to build a new car. The paint and body alone will not be cheap. Sounds like things are turning around
Gint
Good show Mike. I think you're right on the money. You probably won't get $16k, but I'm thinking your approach is going to pay off. At least better than offered so far.
Dr Evil
This would not have been possible if it wasnt for the help that I got from ya'll smile.gif
Dr Evil
On my counter offer they met me at $15K plus change smile.gif All things considered, this went pretty dang smooth. I got the salvage title on my car (PA requirement for a totaled car) and faxed it to them. Hopefully I will get paid by the weekend.
So.Cal.914
smile.gif
Root_Werks
smile.gif
Ferg
smile.gif

sorry had too...

Don't be foolish and spend it on a bus laugh.gif
sixnotfour
and the covair engine.

good news biggrin.gif
Gint
That's gonna hafta do... laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif
ericread
Congratulations! You done good! aktion035.gif
wilchek
Hmmm,, that may be enough money to turn that six into a turbo poke.gif . Who said you can't turbo a 914. Congrats glad to see you got what you deserve.
sww914
That's a whole 10K better than where they started!
Not a bad 2 weeks work although you shouldn't have had to do it at least it ends well.
Trevorg7
Much better thumb3d.gif

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.