Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrecked 914 part 2: The insurance offer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
r_towle
I have a tub if you need. Barter for some tranny work and you can have it.

Rich (Massachusetts....not to far)
Dr Evil
QUOTE(McMark @ May 6 2008, 11:24 PM) *

It sounds like the guy maybe dinged you for not having the "original" engine or bumpers.

Which makes sense if you're looking at the car as a 'bastard'. The reality that they're not aware of is that the non-original motor is actually a standard 'upgrade' for these cars. Because they don't know better, putting a six in a 914 is the same us putting a Geo Metro motor in there. Might be worth getting together a stack of cars for sale that have conversion motors.

At first I figured this, too, but they consider that I am paying insurance on a stock 914 only. This is what my rates are based on so I can see their point. I never thought about it and it is good that the /6 parts are still good so I can recover from this. This is why I am comfortable with a /4 sized settlement so long as they do not depreciate my car for having the /6 in it (that would be retarded IMHO).

Rich, what year and shape is your tub in? I am looking for a 73-74 with no major rust smile.gif

I am always open to barter for tranny work. thumb3d.gif

firstknight13
biggrin.gif dr. if it will fit on my truck i will bring it down for gas.........ray biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Maybe you should change your angle and state the car is very similar to an original 6 and ask to valuate in that direction. They might change their tune a little.

Hang in there at the end of the month they are very anxious to settle claims as that unallocated money for a loss is not good for the books
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2008, 12:29 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 6 2008, 11:24 PM) *

It sounds like the guy maybe dinged you for not having the "original" engine or bumpers.

Which makes sense if you're looking at the car as a 'bastard'. The reality that they're not aware of is that the non-original motor is actually a standard 'upgrade' for these cars. Because they don't know better, putting a six in a 914 is the same us putting a Geo Metro motor in there. Might be worth getting together a stack of cars for sale that have conversion motors.

At first I figured this, too, but they consider that I am paying insurance on a stock 914 only. This is what my rates are based on so I can see their point. I never thought about it and it is good that the /6 parts are still good so I can recover from this. This is why I am comfortable with a /4 sized settlement so long as they do not depreciate my car for having the /6 in it (that would be retarded IMHO).

Rich, what year and shape is your tub in? I am looking for a 73-74 with no major rust smile.gif

I am always open to barter for tranny work. thumb3d.gif

Its a 73.
It has some rust, nothing major...flesh wounds.
Look up Cevan it was his car...its green (light metallic green) he posted pics long ago.

In my mind its a future driver, just have a big list and two 356's going now.
How confident are you with swing axle trannies???

Rich
Joe Bob
I'm curious....DOES the insurance policy specify a 914 4 cylinder or just a 914?

If not then the previous poster may have a point. Beyond the VIN, there's really not much diff between a conversion and a factory 914/6....

I looked at my old policy on The Rocket and it was insured with my 914/4 VIN and listed as having a six cylinder motor.

It was wrecked in a hit and run with damage to the front left fender and flare. The adjuster took the same low ball POS VW attitude but backed off when I said...hey stoopid, it's a six.....it's been 13 years, so I forgot all about it. blink.gif
Wanna9146
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ May 6 2008, 10:10 PM) *

I'm curious....DOES the insurance policy specify a 914 4 cylinder or just a 914?

There is a check-box on every insurance application that asks: "Has this vehicle been modified from stock. If "yes", please list modifications below". If no modifications are listed on the application, you are covered for the stock configuration only.

Three words to remember for those shopping for insurance (especially if you have an exotic or modified vehicle): "Agreed Value Policy". If you have a "Stated Value Policy", you will go through the scenario highlighted in this thread every time. Agreed Value? Collect your check and go spend it.
ericread
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 6 2008, 08:18 PM) *

This really sucks for you Evil one and I am going to use it as a leason for myself to possibly change my policy to reflect an agreed value. I go through Progressive and have no idea what they value my car at? Sounds like your making a little progress with your settlement. Good on you for that. Keep at em'!

poke.gif

I have a Progressive policy and they set the max value at $5000. Better check your policy. I'll be changing soon.
ericread
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 6 2008, 11:03 PM) *

Maybe you should change your angle and state the car is very similar to an original 6 and ask to valiuate in that direction. They might change their tune a little.

Hang in there at the end of the month they are very anxious to settle claims as that unallocated money for a loss is not good for the books

As I work in Regulatory Audit and Compliance for a really big Insurance company, the real issue is unallocated monies at the end of a quarter, and that usually applies only on fully adjuducated cases. The more pressing issue is the time of adjudication for claims per your state's Department of Insurance requirements. The Ins. company can be significantly fined if they do not meet agreed-upon adjudication timelines (usually 60 to 90 days).

Dr. Evil; The dance has begun. Continue to collect your evidence, and press them for answers and written explanations. Just like a first dance with a young lady, go too fast and they'll pull back their offer; go too slow and they'll think you're dull.

Always have more documentation than the Ins. company expects. The adjusters are just folks that are used to working off of set charts. Your car doesn't fit on the chart. You need to convince them that your chart (evidence) is a better representation of the facts than their chart, and that a third party would easily see it your way. The adjuster is being graded by their abaility to keep claims to a minimum. Getting overturned by an arbitor for a large sum is not to their advantage, and if you convince them of this risk, they are much more likely to offer you a reasonable settlement.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.
flat4
It is interesting to see how insurance works there. Here is Oz I would expect to have zero coverage if they found an undeclared modification on a car. Their argument will be that they insured a slow car and you now have a fast car. The risk is clearly higher as you span off the road...

I insure all my cars at agreed value and list every modification and insist that they write them on the policy document. It appears to cost me $50 a year extra over bargain basement coverage but is worth it.

When taking cover out on a car they offered me a silly (high) agreed value, so I said OK and took it. I later had a write off claim and they paid in full. I mentioned to them that I expected them to haggle and they told me that they always aimed high with agreed value as a marketing tool to get people to sign up & be happy in the event of a claim. They factor the risk into the policy cost.

Cheers, Steve
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ericread @ May 6 2008, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 6 2008, 11:03 PM) *

Maybe you should change your angle and state the car is very similar to an original 6 and ask to valiuate in that direction. They might change their tune a little.

As I work in Regulatory Audit and Compliance for a really big Insurance company, the real issue is unallocated monies at the end of a quarter, and that usually applies only on fully adjuducated cases. The more pressing issue is the time of adjudication for claims per your state's Department of Insurance requirements. The Ins. company can be significantly fined if they do not meet agreed-upon adjudication timelines (usually 60 to 90 days).

Dr. Evil; The dance has begun. Continue to collect your evidence, and press them for answers and written explanations. Just like a first dance with a young lady, go too fast and they'll pull back their offer; go too slow and they'll think you're dull.

Always have more documentation than the Ins. company expects. The adjusters are just folks that are used to working off of set charts. Your car doesn't fit on the chart. You need to convince them that your chart (evidence) is a better representation of the facts than their chart, and that a third party would easily see it your way. The adjuster is being graded by their abaility to keep claims to a minimum. Getting overturned by an arbitor for a large sum is not to their advantage, and if you convince them of this risk, they are much more likely to offer you a reasonable settlement.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

I would agree with this mostly, however, when I was a rep for one company the auto guy's (I was a multi-line rep and fell under their scoring radar) were scored on volume of claims settled. There was never a focus on what was "saved for the company as an induvidual" It is harder to track as a method of profitability and illegal to engage in. It's stealing in is simplest term. Why would someone want to try to lowball a car guy? Life is too short to assume people are stupid and will just accept what ever you offer because you have the check book. Not to mention all field notes would be discoverable in the event a company was challenged for a questionable practice.

Now the casualty and property claims dept. was another story.
Dr Evil
I got the traffic citation this weekend dry.gif

I intend to email the copies of Excellence valuations, the NADA addy, and have sent some info to Dr914 so he can help.

Lets see how it goes. I would like to author the thread that consolidates the resources you all have offered me so people can be steered to it should they be in my unfortunate situation. Thanks all.
Joe Bob
Speeding ticket?

That's bogus, get a lawyer and fight that. I got a ticket once when I hit a Jaguar that pulled out in fron of me on my BMW bike.....two witnesses, the wife of the jerk pulling out and a blind man.....I shit you not, his statement was, "he (me) sounded like he was going fast....."
Dr Evil
It is marked as "Driving vehicle at unsafe speed"

I am going to show up at court and see if I can get it dropped. I dont think they have a case.
LvSteveH
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 11 2008, 08:37 PM) *

I am going to show up at court and see if I can get it dropped. I dont think they have a case.

You should be a lawyer, not a Dr laugh.gif

There's a one-armed truck driver that could take an 18 wheeler through there at 20mph in the wet without spilling his coffee.
auerbach
Spoke to George on Saturday and he was all hot to trot to come to your aid. Anything that you might need, just give a yell.
ericread

Unfortunately, many States make a case that ANY speed at which an operator cannot carefully control their vehicle is an "unsafe" speed. Therefore, should an operator lose control of their vehicle, they were obviously operating their vehicle at an unsafe speed.

It's kind of a catch-all citation. Other states use the "reckless driving" statutes to accomplish the same thing. In other words, if you miss a corner and hit a tree, you were obviously driving in a reckless manner.

IMHO, your best bet is to demonstrate that you knew specific road very well, you were not speeding, participating in a show of speed or performance, or breaking any laws. And that the accident was due to unanticipated road conditions of which a reasonable person would not be aware. Thsi could include a recent deposit of oil, sand or other traction-reducing agent on the road.

Good luck.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ericread @ May 12 2008, 12:24 AM) *

Unfortunately, many States make a case that ANY speed at which an operator cannot carefully control their vehicle is an "unsafe" speed. Therefore, should an operator lose control of their vehicle, they were obviously operating their vehicle at an unsafe speed.

It's kind of a catch-all citation. Other states use the "reckless driving" statutes to accomplish the same thing. In other words, if you miss a corner and hit a tree, you were obviously driving in a reckless manner.

IMHO, your best bet is to demonstrate that you knew specific road very well, you were not speeding, participating in a show of speed or performance, or breaking any laws. And that the accident was due to unanticipated road conditions of which a reasonable person would not be aware. Thsi could include a recent deposit of oil, sand or other traction-reducing agent on the road.

Good luck.

agree.gif I had to do this when I was 19 in a very horrible case. My car hit ice and they wanted to say I was being wreckless. Granted there was a fatality in mine... it was BS and they just wanted to point a fingure. Besides, if the road was in any way the problem it can come back to then state. I know of a few parties that are in litigation over the road conditions being poor and not posted.

Good luck Mike... I hope it works out for you.
type11969
Weak, the cop never even called to ask my opinion. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

-Chris

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 11 2008, 07:28 PM) *

I got the traffic citation this weekend dry.gif

I intend to email the copies of Excellence valuations, the NADA addy, and have sent some info to Dr914 so he can help.

Lets see how it goes. I would like to author the thread that consolidates the resources you all have offered me so people can be steered to it should they be in my unfortunate situation. Thanks all.

charliew
I had a wreck on my sportster a few years ago. Progressive ins. I was with 50 other bikes on a poker run some with their grandkids on back. I got into some loose asphalt on a long gentle curve where a drive way had tracked out the loose stuff into the outside edge of the curve. Don't remember hitting the ground. I had a full helmit on and it got three big breaks in it. It and the LORD probably saved my life, HE likes me. Except for the rear brake pedal being broke off and the tack and speedo being broke the bike is rideable. I had 15k in the bike trying to make it as fast as a V65 Honda I had before it. Progressive picked some sportsters that had sold recently and said it was worth 6500. I offered to show them the receipts. I even offered to take it to the harley shop and put it wrecked beside the ones that were for sale for 10500.00 and they would be able to see the difference between mine and the others in cost. After dragging it out for 3 months they went on a estimate the shop that did the mods on my bike wrote for me. They paid me 4100.00 and put a salvage title on it saying the repair exceded 1/2 the cost of the bike. The bike was about 8 yrs old and had no blemishes and had 6800 miles on it. After about a week from the time of the accident the DPS sent me a ticket for unsafe speed. I would have had to hire a lawyer to fight the ticket so I paid it. You can't take defensive driving if a accident is involved.

Needles to say I no longer use progressive for anything. They told me they didn't even have a way to look up the price of the parts involved.

I thought the bike would be covered because they advertise that 3000.00 extras in addons will be covered. Thier response was the addons weren't damaged.
I haven't had many Ins. claims of any kind but the ones I've had were never fair. I hate insurance companies more than any other thing I can think of.
effutuo101
The little yellow sign is recommended speed. Not the actual speed limit. Get a picutre of the actual speed limit for the road.
estwing
Just my $.02 but for older cars, if you don't have a specified amount that it's insured for and pay against that premium then the insurance company values it at whatever their book says. I was able to get full coverage with a $250 deductible for my '73 2.0 for $28 a month ($6 more than liability alone). When I checked, the insured value was $3200.

That's where the A** raping comes in, especially if it's insured as a classic car. You can insure a POS for $100,000. If you pay the premium and total the car, then you're entitled to the value you insured it for.

Though I'd be happy to offset the lose by compensating you for the rear PORSCHE reflector between the tail lights.
brer
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ May 11 2008, 10:16 PM) *

You should be a lawyer, not a Dr laugh.gif

There's a one-armed truck driver that could take an 18 wheeler through there at 20mph in the wet without spilling his coffee.

please delete this pic. its bummin me out.

sad.gif
szuccaro
Evil, I just went thru something similar last summer. But having gone thru a low ball offer years ago, I was prepared this time. Part of the problem is that they dont have comps. The information within this club should help take care of that. It it helps I can offer up my Interstate Appraisal as an additional reference comp (it came in at $16,150 and my car is only a 2.0L). There's some market research of additonal comps within the report.

If interested, PM me. Steve
Dr Evil
I just emailed the lady and sent her the NADA link and all of the excellence articles from 00-07 minus 04 (it was missing). I highlighted that their offer of $4.7k was a far cry from the values listed. I was factual, respectful and not at all a dick happy11.gif I also gave them (again) the contact info for my friend, the 914 DEALER, and for George Hussey (Dr914). I said that I could easily give them comparative STOCK cars for sale currently if that would help.

Ball is in their court, lets see what happens next.....
jsayre914
popcorn[1].gif
jfort
slightly OT, but after (actually during) reading this thread, I figured I'd call my insurance co. to update my policy. I use USAA, too, but for the 914-6, they referred me to American Collectors, an affiliate. I told them that I had just put on flares, etc., and that I want to update the stated value. They replied that my policy had lapsed for non-payment. Here I'd thought it was automatically deducted! DAMN! Good thing I called. Got reinstated for a fair value.
DNHunt
We have USAA also and I got referred to American Collectors also. One problem, they stipulate no timed events. So I said you mean no autocross and she said "What is that?" I said it was turning around cones like the police do. When she asked if it was timed I had to say yes so, I'll have to keep looking.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 12 2008, 09:28 AM) *

The little yellow sign is recommended speed. Not the actual speed limit. Get a picutre of the actual speed limit for the road.

Nope. The sign gives the actual allowable speed in that section. I once went through one of those sections in Wisconsin at 60 in my Datsun Z and got a ticket for going 25 over the speed limit. The actual speed limit was posted at 60. The sign was right next to me as he handed me the ticket. I too thought it was recommended.

Two years ago I hit a tree trying to avoid the three deer standing on the road on the Oakville Grade between Napa and Sonoma valleys. I didn't hit it hard, I was only doing maybe 15 but it was wet as it had just started raining. I came around a hairpin in the Boxster and they were just standing in the road. I swerved and hit the brakes and the antilocks groaned all the way to the tree just off the road surface. If you have never been here it is wilderness and quite beautiful. I called my insurance which is Mike's as well and they told me it would be my fault. It seems that if you hit anything for any reason you were driving too fast for the conditions. The only time the fault mitigates away from purely yours is if the other object was under the control of another human. The only reason I did not get that same ticket is that the police were not involved. I just backed up, hit the horn to convince Bambi and her friends to move on and drove away. $7K in damage...
wilchek
I just got a quote from Haggerty for 170.00 with agreed value of $15,000. The question is had anyone had any expereince with Hagerty??
Dr Evil
Well, just to prove that when it rains it pours, here is some other stuff that happened from this. Sit back, its a tale.....

The paramedic that showed up on scene with the EMT in the ambulance has filed a complaint about me with the school claiming that when she got on scene I identified myself as a 3rd year trauma resident (which is a doctor, not a student) and that I was confrontational. She said that I told her to leave and that Chris didnt need EMS. She further said that I told her to "step back" and that I "knew what I was doing" and asked her for her ID so I could turn her in. She said that she told me that I would have to speak to medical command and that I responded by saying that "I know everyone in medical command!" I dont even know what medical command is and this whole statement is a complete fabrication.

So, I had to meet with the head of emergency medicine to explain myself. I couldnt believe that someone would make up such blatant lies. I have no idea of the motive behind this either. Since my account of the events, which were completely uninteresting, conflict with her account I am having to meet with the dean of education for the school to see where we go from here.

Am I worried? Not even a little as I have 3 witnesses: Chris, Noel and Heidi were all there the whole time and confirm what I remember. This is great shit to have to deal with right before I had my surgery shelf exam dry.gif

When the fuck did my life become a soap opera?!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(wilchek @ May 12 2008, 06:41 PM) *

I just got a quote from Haggerty for 170.00 with agreed value of $15,000. The question is had anyone had any expereince with Hagerty??

People love Haggerty. I will likeley switch to them.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 12 2008, 07:20 PM) *

When has it not been? poke.gif

Zach
type11969
Maybe she just REALLY wanted to get me in the back of that ambulance. After all, I did look pretty hott at that point . . .

Seriously though, I simply can't imagine anyone buying that tale. Being a med student = smart. Telling an EMT going to the hospital at which said med student is interning that he is a doctor = very unsmart. I don't think any more explanation is needed.

Give me the signal and I'll send a notarized letter with my account of the afternoon.

-Chris

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 12 2008, 03:20 PM) *

Well, just to prove that when it rains it pours, here is some other stuff that happened from this. Sit back, its a tale.....

The paramedic that showed up on scene with the EMT in the ambulance has filed a complaint about me with the school claiming that when she got on scene I identified myself as a 3rd year trauma resident (which is a doctor, not a student) and that I was confrontational. She said that I told her to leave and that Chris didnt need EMS. She further said that I told her to "step back" and that I "knew what I was doing" and asked her for her ID so I could turn her in. She said that she told me that I would have to speak to medical command and that I responded by saying that "I know everyone in medical command!" I dont even know what medical command is and this whole statement is a complete fabrication.

So, I had to meet with the head of emergency medicine to explain myself. I couldnt believe that someone would make up such blatant lies. I have no idea of the motive behind this either. Since my account of the events, which were completely uninteresting, conflict with her account I am having to meet with the dean of education for the school to see where we go from here.

Am I worried? Not even a little as I have 3 witnesses: Chris, Noel and Heidi were all there the whole time and confirm what I remember. This is great shit to have to deal with right before I had my surgery shelf exam dry.gif

scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 12 2008, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 12 2008, 07:20 PM) *

When has it not been? poke.gif

Zach

Hell you're living with two good looking women, you have a stable full of exotic cars and motorcycles. Doctor by day, tranny surgeon at night. Probably like coke and hookers on your sailboat on friday nights too poke.gif
type11969
Doesn't Haggerty have significant limitations like all the other collector car insurances like it always has to be garaged, can't drive to work/be on the road during rush hour, can't run errands to it, etc? Basically I thought you can only drive it to shows/test drives. Of course you can bend the rules without them knowing but if you get caught in an accident situation, you are left with no insurance, both on your vehicle, yourself, and whoever else might be involved. No thanks. I know Statefarm did an agreed value std policy on my Beetle in NJ, I think this summer when I sell the 'ata I'll see if they can swing that here in PA too. Right now I have collector ins through them and it is pretty reasonable.

Hope I'm wrong on Haggerty, I'd like another option in case statefarm can't pull through.

-Chris

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 12 2008, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(wilchek @ May 12 2008, 06:41 PM) *

People love Haggerty. I will likeley switch to them.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 12 2008, 03:34 PM) *

Hell you're living with two good looking women, you have a stable full of exotic cars and motorcycles. Doctor by day, tranny surgeon at night. Probably like coke and hookers on your sailboat on friday nights too poke.gif

I think you got the makings of a script, sell it to Holywood and go 50/50 with Dr.E.
scotty b

idea.gif Miami Vice meets Dexter idea.gif I want to be in the Evil business
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(type11969 @ May 12 2008, 03:39 PM) *

Doesn't Haggerty have significant limitations like all the other collector car insurances like it always has to be garaged, can't drive to work/be on the road during rush hour, can't run errands to it, etc? Basically I thought you can only drive it to shows/test drives. Of course you can bend the rules without them knowing but if you get caught in an accident situation, you are left with no insurance, both on your vehicle, yourself, and whoever else might be involved. No thanks. I know Statefarm did an agreed value std policy on my Beetle in NJ, I think this summer when I sell the 'ata I'll see if they can swing that here in PA too. Right now I have collector ins through them and it is pretty reasonable.

Hope I'm wrong on Haggerty, I'd like another option in case statefarm can't pull through.

-Chris

Chris is correct about the restrictions that are inherent on some collector auto policies. My State Farm agent could write a collector policy (and save me some money), but it stipulates that I can't drive it to work, run errands, or do anything that isn't car show or parade related. No thanks. So they wrote a stated value policy that allows me to use the car anytime, anywhere, anyway I choose to.
I would, however, suggest everyone insure their car for the situation that best suits them. I'm sure rates will vary by carrier, state, policy holder status, etc.

Paul
Dr Evil
Oh ya, I forgot to mention that interfering with EMS in the way alleged is illegal (as I was reminded) and if they find the claim true I will be expelled dry.gif Like I said, I am not worried, but I am going to have to deal with this as it is unforgivable.

If I am involved in a wreck where I die in the ambulance you know who did it wink.gif
TravisNeff
what did you do to piss off the EMS lady so badly?
Joe Bob

Based on most EMS twits, he pissed her off by being male and breathing......
Dr Evil
The only thing I can think of is that she was pissed that she had to return empty handed since we drove Chris to the hospital. confused24.gif
So.Cal.914
If you mentioned that you were a medical student, most emt's wanted to be MD's

but for one reason or another, life did not allow it. Some are bitter some are not,

they all do good works, but I guess it dosen't always pay to be a Dr, Evil (clever eh). smile.gif
LvSteveH
In many areas paramedics are paid quite a bit less than a UPS driver. Many want to get on the fire department which pays much better and can't make it. They get trapped in a low paying high stress job and it takes its toll.

I would check with the company to see if she's a chronic complainer, that could help. Given the severity of the situation you'd think they would want some kind of proof to kick you out. The biggest thing she has going for her is that she has no apparent reason to lie.

Good luck getting that resolved, that almost sucks more than the accident itself.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 12 2008, 04:20 PM) *

Mike,
Have all of your witnesses write statements to the effect that your version of the events are true. Give them to the school. At least part of what she says is true but she probably substituted resident for student. She had to have gotten that from you or someone who was with you. She either is a real f-stick or you pissed her off pretty good. Most medics wouldn't bother. They just want to go home when the shift is over.
I assume that Chris was willing to sign an AMA release? Did you impede her ability to do an assessment? Was he walking around? He no doubt met trauma criteria, meaning he might have been flown out and a trauma alert activated at the nearest trauma center. They would have alerted a truama surgeon who would have gotten a batch of x-rays and done an assessment in about 1/2 hour. The point of which is to have trauma victims in surgery within an hour of arrival. I don't know your local EMS policies but the intrusion into the passenger compartment would have activated a trauma alert locally here in NorCal. The newer the medic the more likely they would be to want to cover their bottom by activating the trauma alert. More experienced medics would be likely to call medical control and say I have a walkie - talkie with some venous facial trauma and a broken tooth who wants to sign AMA. Bottom line is you may have a political problem. Trauma surgeons have an enormous amount of influence because of the millions in revenue they bring in. If you pissed off the trauma surgeon the school may be getting irritation from him. Especially if the school and trauma center are connected. You need to prove she got it wrong. You identified yourself as a resident, you didn't interfere, Chris was the one who refused treatment, not you on his behalf.
If she thought you were a doc, what she wanted to tell you was that you either had to ride in with her and Chris or relinquish medical control to her local EMS protocol. Meaning control of the scene and patient was back in her ballpark.
Doctors and nurses are higher medical authority and can take over the scene based on that authority. Most don't though because they would have to ride in with the patient and be responsible for whatever they decide to do. Do you recall a confrontational scene with her? Did she practically insist that he take the ambulance ride?
Welcome to the politics of medicine. Sorry about your mess...
rick 918-S
Lots of people leave the scene with friends or relatives to go to the hospital rather than leave in the ambulance. I'm sure they lost a fare. I doubt her boss was happy about it. I wouldn't do anything without a lawyer at this point. If you get kicked out of the med program at this point you will be screwed.

Time to do your home work and learn the law and how it will play out in the case.
Joe Bob
Fade to black, next to the scene in the court of appeals, the Evil Doctor's lawyer is examining the EMS's Supervisor on the stand......the Judge interupts and in a slow drawl, he asks the Supervisor, "Tell me son, I say tell me.....this emPLOYEEEEE of yours, is she, a little bit of a nagger?"

Um, no Sir, she's a big old white gal about 5 foot 10. wacko.gif
Dr Evil
All of what she said that I quoted was BS. There was no confrontation. We were all professional and I thought they did a fine job. I even thanked them for coming out and felt that nothing went wrong. I identified myself as a 3rd year medical student more than several times when a new person came and asked what happened. This was only so I had some credibility in telling those who needed to know how things went down. There was an ED doc on scene later that took over.

I know all of the Trauma surgeons as I was working with them at the time. They would rather a non-trauma not come in and are not involved at all with this matter. The ED docs are the same. It all points at the paramedic. I am not worried about being expelled. I have plenty of backup smile.gif
Wanna9146
QUOTE(wilchek @ May 12 2008, 02:41 PM) *

I have Hagerty on 5 of my cars. They are great. No claims, so far, except towing.

There are limitations:

1) Vehicle must be in a locked garage when not in use/overnight.
2) Limited mileage (rumoured to be 5k/yr., but they never checked/asked).
3) To/from shows/events/track/shop only. Occasional "pleasure use" OK (e.g. cruise to a restaurant for dinner on Sat. night).
4) You must have another insured/registered vehicle (Daily Driver). One daily driver for each licensed member of the household.
5)No using vehicle for errands or in place of your daily driver. If your daily driver breaks down, you can't hop in your "classic" and use it as a replacement.
6) Driver must be at least 25 years old with no tickets/accidents/claims.
7) Vehicle must be a classic, collectible or "exotic".

Go to their website (www.hagerty.com). They list all the restrictions there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.