Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the sawtooth build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
sawtooth
QUOTE(porsche_dreamer @ May 4 2011, 08:32 PM) *

How many bottles of the sks did you use?

I ended up using 5 bottles. Could have done just the floor pans and wheel wells with 4 bottles. I also did the engine bay mainly for sound dampening, which took another bottle.
charliew
I really like that color. It looks like it might even glow in the dark. You will be able to pick that car out of any other from a very long way off. I hope it's not too hard to touch up though.
sawtooth
QUOTE(charliew @ May 5 2011, 03:11 PM) *

I really like that color. It looks like it might even glow in the dark. You will be able to pick that car out of any other from a very long way off. I hope it's not too hard to touch up though.

Not sure about glow in the dark, but it sure glows in the sun blink.gif This color does some pretty cool stuff outdoors. The flash of the camera makes it look overly bright, in person the shadows are really pretty dark. I was concerned about touch-ups too at first, but now I think it's going to be okay. I tried doing a touch up with a small brush using just the green top coat. It appears to cover and blend well. I shouldn't need to mess with adding base layer on small chips. I'm also going to use a good quality clearbra type layer in the vulnerable areas, so hopefully it'll stay nice for a good long time.
jd74914
That looks awesome! biggrin.gif

I might have missed it, but what kind of paint are you using? And how did it shoot? I'd love to paint my current project in a wild three stage.
sawtooth
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 5 2011, 06:19 PM) *

I might have missed it, but what kind of paint are you using? And how did it shoot? I'd love to paint my current project in a wild three stage.

Thanks Jim. I'm using RM brand paint. It's pretty straight forward to shoot if you've ever done b/c before. The only difference is you have two base coats. The second base coat is only slightly translucent. It's not a traditional candy where the top coat is mainly clear with a small amount of color, and you have to shoot 10+ coats to get the build up you want. The top coat with this system is pretty dense, and has metallic in it. The first coat is a silver bronze color with a lot of metallic in it, very dense and covers quickly. So it's simply 2 coats base #1, 2 coats base #2, and 2 coats clear. I'm not sure what other colors are available in this system, mine is a 2010 Camaro LE color called synergy green. I know there is a burgundy that uses the same technique, and possibly a blue.
pktzygt
QUOTE(sawtooth @ May 5 2011, 09:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 5 2011, 06:19 PM) *

Thanks Jim. I'm using RM brand paint. It's pretty straight forward to shoot if you've ever done b/c before. The only difference is you have two base coats. The second base coat is only slightly translucent. It's not a traditional candy where the top coat is mainly clear with a small amount of color, and you have to shoot 10+ coats to get the build up you want. The top coat with this system is pretty dense, and has metallic in it. The first coat is a silver bronze color with a lot of metallic in it, very dense and covers quickly. So it's simply 2 coats base #1, 2 coats base #2, and 2 coats clear. I'm not sure what other colors are available in this system, mine is a 2010 Camaro LE color called synergy green. I know there is a burgundy that uses the same technique, and possibly a blue.

I knew I'd seen that color before. Just couldn't figure out where.
BIGKAT_83
That looks great!
When I first saw that color on a new Camaro thats the first thing I thought of. What would it look like on a 914.

I saw that you sold your wheels what kind of wheels are you going to use on the car now that its flared???

Bob

Root_Werks
drooley.gif
abnrdo
Love the color. Cant wait to see the entire car! Its a bit brighter than my Palma Green Metallic, but I still like it. Awesome job!

BTW, thanks for the parts. Cant wait to work on the car again.

-Jim
sawtooth
Made it back from a trip to the paint booth. Everything went according to the plan, so I'm very happy biggrin.gif

Took off Friday morning, headed to Twin Falls which is about 2 hrs away.

Click to view attachment

I had some help from some very talented guys. Huge thanks to my brother-in-law Chris and my friend Jake!

Click to view attachment

After making the final preparations we masked it up and moved to the booth.

Click to view attachment
sawtooth
First base layer going down...

Click to view attachment

Using the first base layer as the color for the side stripe.

Click to view attachment

Second base layer...

Click to view attachment

Decal/stencil being removed...

Click to view attachment

And after baking in the booth to cure out the base layers a bit, the final clear coat happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
sawtooth
Left it to bake in the oven over night...

Click to view attachment

Unwrapped, and headed back home the next morning.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
That's pretty wub.gif
sawtooth
Back home again, me and my girls smile.gif Everyone happened to be wearing green just for the occasion! It's ironic, I remember when I first started this project I wanted to paint the car anything but green. Now I can't imagine any other color (granted it is a bit different than Zambezi). Funny how things change.

Click to view attachment

And she's back in the barn ready to be re-assembled.

Click to view attachment
sawtooth
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 8 2011, 12:20 AM) *

That's pretty wub.gif

Thanks Mike! It is very cool to see it come together.
sawtooth
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 6 2011, 06:34 AM) *

That looks great!
When I first saw that color on a new Camaro thats the first thing I thought of. What would it look like on a 914.

I saw that you sold your wheels what kind of wheels are you going to use on the car now that its flared???

Bob

Hey Bob, my thought's exactly. first time I saw the synergy green camaro in person I new what had to be done.

For wheels I'm using 16x7 fuchs all the way around (thanks for giving these up Jamie, I love 'em!). I've got 245/50 firestone wide oval's mounted up, which are supposed to be a great street tire. Thought about going wide on the rear, but decided not to for now. Using a 1" spacer in the rear to fill out the flare.
abnrdo
drooley.gif That car is gorgeous!! Good looking family too Dean!

Spoke
Very Nice! Good job on everything.
MDG
I like it! The colour has a completely modern look and yet still evokes the same vibe as the bright '70s colours used by the factory. Fantastic. smilie_pokal.gif
d914
omg!!!very pretty!
Eric_Shea
pray.gif
Andyrew
Freaking Gorgeous! Did you spray it because it turned out glass!

VERY nice.
porsche_dreamer
Looks fantastic! Congrats on a beautiful car. Can't wait to see it assembled.
watsonrx13
Fantastic color/stripe combination... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
charliew
Great color and it looks very straight. Is it so nib and orangepeel free you don't need to buff it out? That looked like a nice booth. So all total to paint everything in color, 1.5 of each color and 1.5 of clear?
tdgray
Great Job... Great Color!
BIGKAT_83
Damn I wished I had a brother in law like that.

It looks great. Can't wait to see it with everything back on it. Thats when it will really look good.

Bob
sawtooth
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 8 2011, 07:56 AM) *

Freaking Gorgeous! Did you spray it because it turned out glass!

VERY nice.

I only sprayed the jambs, trunks, bottom side of deck lids, and engine bay. Jake (in the booth shots above) is the man with the talent. I learned so much from him on friday. He is a real pro and knows exactly what it takes to get a top notch finish without touching it with a buffing wheel afterwards. In my experience the only way to get something like this with a garage paint job is to go with many layers of clear, cutting just before the last layer of clear, then cutting and buffing the final. That's what I would have been doing if Jake and Chris hadn't offered to help me out.
charliew
Probably some of the orangepeel will level out as the paint shrinks so it will look like a original finish or better. After a few years you could knock the worst nibs down and buff it out as you touch it up. The clear chip guard film on the fender bulges and edges will help a lot.
sawtooth
QUOTE(charliew @ May 8 2011, 07:50 PM) *

Great color and it looks very straight. Is it so nib and orangepeel free you don't need to buff it out? That looked like a nice booth. So all total to paint everything in color, 1.5 of each color and 1.5 of clear?

This paint is so smooth as it is, it needs no buffing. It's really hard to detect any orange peel at all. I think it's much better than a factory finish already.

You are close on total paint quantities. Roughly used 1 gal each color, 1 gal clear. That includes jambs, trunks, engine bay, etc. One of the great benefits to having them spray it for me at the booth, the paint was mixed as needed just before spraying each layer, so almost no extra or wasted paint.
JRust
Hey Dean that is frickin hot drooley.gif . I love it man & can't wait to see it in person. The wheels look great too piratenanner.gif . Get that puppy back together
sawtooth
QUOTE(JRust @ May 9 2011, 11:30 AM) *

Hey Dean that is frickin hot drooley.gif . I love it man & can't wait to see it in person. The wheels look great too piratenanner.gif . Get that puppy back together

Thanks Jamie. Yeah I couldn't be happier with the wheels, it's amazing what a difference the 16's make, and that polished lip is so nice.
Zaney
Dean,
Awesome job!!!!
That is some real motivation for me to get my Suby done!!!
Just a few small pieces to go!

Can't wait to see the car back together!

beer.gif Nate
PeeGreen 914
That may be one of the sexiest colors I've seen on a 914 drooley.gif
JmuRiz
Wow, that looks amazing...great stuff!
nsr-jamie
Excellent work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the work you did!!! Awesome !
sawtooth
Thanks guys for all the great comments. It has been a lot of fun taking a bit of a risk with this color and seeing it turn out well and fitting the character of the car. Now to get finished up. Got the dash back in last night with new vinyl and windshield seal. The windshield and back glass go in tomorrow.
karmanbuilt
Dude........I'm GREEN with envy. Last time we talked, all you said was you were welding on the flairs. We need to paint mine too. BTW...when is the next meeting?
Gene
sawtooth
QUOTE(karmanbuilt @ May 11 2011, 09:51 PM) *

Dude........I'm GREEN with envy. Last time we talked, all you said was you were welding on the flairs. We need to paint mine too. BTW...when is the next meeting?
Gene

Hey Gene, yeah it's been a few weeks since then biggrin.gif You need to come over and check it out. Got the windshield and back glass installed today. Give me a call.

computers4kids
What a great finish, well done! Are those the wheels off of Jamie's V8?
sawtooth
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 11 2011, 10:07 PM) *

What a great finish, well done! Are those the wheels off of Jamie's V8?

Thank you. Yes, Jamie and I traded some goods. He was generous enough to give em up.
JRust
As much as it kills me not to have them on my car. They look kick ass on yours Dean drooley.gif .
veltror
Looks liek the Viper Green on 1303 beetles and the new Scirocco, very nice...
BRAVE_HELIOS
Congrats Dean! The car looks phenomenal! Can't wait to see it in person! You going to be around this weekend?
6freak
WOW ...I think you hit it out of the park ....nice job
sawtooth
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ May 12 2011, 06:24 PM) *

Congrats Dean! The car looks phenomenal! Can't wait to see it in person! You going to be around this weekend?

Yep I'll be here, hopefully putting the drive train back in this weekend. Got the wiring harness installed tonight. Bring that v8 over so I can go for a spin smile.gif
sixnotfour
Thats going GREEN , nice, here is 76 viper green metallic, yours has more green looks Great.
sawtooth
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 13 2011, 05:33 AM) *

Thats going GREEN , nice, here is 76 viper green metallic, yours has more green looks Great.

Thanks! I really like the viper green too, fantastic factory color. Your '76 looks like an extremely fine car. Yeah this synergy green is definitely an intense green. It has dark shadows and bright highlights, hard to represent well in a photo. I'll get some more shots with it out in the sunlight when I get it back together.
AZ914
Love it!
Zaney
Dean,
Do you have a pic of the new dash/face plate for your new gauges? I am contemplating which route to go with mine. Either, bigmarkdesigns makeover or use your gauges.
Thanks!
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.