Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the sawtooth build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
sawtooth
QUOTE(Zaney @ May 13 2011, 08:35 AM) *

Dean,
Do you have a pic of the new dash/face plate for your new gauges? I am contemplating which route to go with mine. Either, bigmarkdesigns makeover or use your gauges.
Thanks!
Nate

Hey Nate, haven't finished mine yet. I'll be working on it soon though and will definitely post some pics.
sawtooth
Ok Nate, here's a shot of my gauge cluster. I think it's going to work out really well.

Click to view attachment
sawtooth
I know WCR is coming up fast, but I just can't put this beauty back in...

Click to view attachment

after some blasting, zinc plating, and new bushings...

Click to view attachment
JRust
Looking great Dean. Keep up the progress. You are just flying through everything. Really amazing as the quality of your work is excellent. I know you have a job too besides. LOL! I need the inspiration so keep updating with pics biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(sawtooth @ May 16 2011, 11:44 PM) *

Ok Nate, here's a shot of my gauge cluster. I think it's going to work out really well.

Click to view attachment

WOW, those are REALLY cool.
Eric_Shea
Man Dean... do us a favor and do "something" half-assed so we can poke.gif at ya! biggrin.gif
sawtooth
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 17 2011, 09:26 AM) *

Man Dean... do us a favor and do "something" half-assed so we can poke.gif at ya! biggrin.gif

I'm sure I could be accused of doing more that a few things half-assed. I just do my best to not take pictures of 'em. sunglasses.gif
eric9144
drooley.gif popcorn[1].gif

Freaking amazing, can't wait to see what's next!
JRust
Need an update Dean! You got this baby on the road yet or what?
charliew
It all looks great Dean. Are you putting any clear laquer or something else on the zink?
sawtooth
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 3 2011, 01:53 PM) *

It all looks great Dean. Are you putting any clear laquer or something else on the zink?

Thanks Charlie. No, I'm just adding brightener to the plating process, then going over lightly with a wire wheel after plating.
sawtooth
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 3 2011, 01:49 PM) *

Need an update Dean! You got this baby on the road yet or what?

dry.gif not yet, but close. I've gotten a little bogged down in the details of getting it all put back together. Lots of little upgrades and restoring parts along the way. The motor and tranny are finally going in tomorrow. I'll hopefully be going for a test drive by the end of the weekend. I'll get some update pics posted tonight.
sawtooth
Some update pics of things I've been working on.

The new suby trans prepped and ready to go. The trans I started with was on it's last legs, this is a new one with a fresh rebuild and better gear ratio. Thanks to Jamie for picking this up in Oregon on his way over to Boise a while back.
Click to view attachment

Previously I was using 5-lug adapters up front. I had picked up 911 components along the way and now was the time to get them cleaned up and installed. Using boge struts with bilstein inserts. Huge thanks to Eric Shea for helping me with all of it, especially getting the calipers set up! Wish I could take credit for plating those happy11.gif
Click to view attachment

Upgraded to hella H4 housings. Also replaced the fog lights with pilot pl193 driving lights. And new italian turn signals from Mikey914.
Click to view attachment
sawtooth
Front trunk area almost finished.
Click to view attachment

My low budget zinc plating setup. Works great for plating parts as needed. Takes about 20-30 min for a batch to finish. So I try to plan ahead and keep a batch going while I'm working on other things.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Derek Seymour
Crazy awesome! That's one gorgeous looking car man!
KELTY360
Spectacular!

What are you doing with your bumpers? Chrome? Body color? Black? IMO, that color is tailor-made for body color bumpers.
sawtooth
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 4 2011, 09:09 AM) *

Spectacular!

What are you doing with your bumpers? Chrome? Body color? Black? IMO, that color is tailor-made for body color bumpers.

Right now I've got chrome bumpers on. The back is really nice but the front needs some help. I had thought about doing an RSR style finish to match what I want to do with the fuchs. But I hadn't thought about body color. idea.gif I'll have to photoshop it and see how it would look when it all gets finished here shortly. Thanks for the idea!
KELTY360
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 4 2011, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 4 2011, 09:09 AM) *

Spectacular!

Right now I've got chrome bumpers on. The back is really nice but the front needs some help. I had thought about doing an RSR style finish to match what I want to do with the fuchs. But I hadn't thought about body color. idea.gif I'll have to photoshop it and see how it would look when it all gets finished here shortly. Thanks for the idea!

Synergy Green bumpers would rock!

For reference, here's mine. You don't see them often but I think it ties the whole body together and actually gives it a more modern look. Up through '72 they came from the factory either chrome or body color. I had the clear 3M film put on the front bumper to prevent chips and you can't tell it's there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

charliew
I forgot and left the plating heater on when I took it out of the solution and burned it up when I first started plating. I don't see one on your setup either. I bought two new ones but haven't used them yet. For a different look you can add a yellow top coating that caswell has it looks pretty good also.
enderw88
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 3 2011, 09:54 PM) *

Some update pics of things I've been working on.

The new suby trans prepped and ready to go. The trans I started with was on it's last legs, this is a new one with a fresh rebuild and better gear ratio. Thanks to Jamie for picking this up in Oregon on his way over to Boise a while back.
Click to view attachment

What does it take to covert an AWD subaru trans to FWD? Advanced DIY or specialized shop?
DBCooper
QUOTE(enderw88 @ Jun 6 2011, 02:49 PM) *

What does it take to covert an AWD subaru trans to FWD? Advanced DIY or specialized shop?

Well, you can do it yourself like this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104513

Or buy the adapters for the transmission and axles from Bremar, here: http://www.bremarauto.com/products/subaru-...conversion-kit/

enderw88
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 6 2011, 04:43 PM) *

Well, you can do it yourself like this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104513

Or buy the adapters for the transmission and axles from Bremar, here: http://www.bremarauto.com/products/subaru-...conversion-kit/

Thanks!
abnrdo
Dean,
Awesome plating setup! I have thought about doing that myself.

I know the transmissions are pretty much plug and play, but what year is your new transmission from?

-Jim
sawtooth
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Jun 7 2011, 01:00 AM) *

Dean,
Awesome plating setup! I have thought about doing that myself.

I know the transmissions are pretty much plug and play, but what year is your new transmission from?

-Jim

Hey Jim, this trans is from an '01 forester.
sawtooth
QUOTE(enderw88 @ Jun 6 2011, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 6 2011, 04:43 PM) *

Thanks!

I went the DIY route and it worked out great. I cut the necessary pieces for the locking spool myself as shown in the link dbcooper posted. And I had a machinist weld it together.
sawtooth
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 6 2011, 04:20 PM) *

I forgot and left the plating heater on when I took it out of the solution and burned it up when I first started plating. I don't see one on your setup either. I bought two new ones but haven't used them yet. For a different look you can add a yellow top coating that caswell has it looks pretty good also.

I have a fish tank heater, in the tank off to the side, not really visible in the pics. It will keep the water at around 100 which is close enough for me. Has been working pretty good.
sawtooth
I ended up getting a new motor too. A guy down the street from me had the same motor (phase II sohc 2.5) that was built by Xcceleration. He bought it a few years ago and never installed it. The heads have been worked over and it has the cams I wanted to upgrade to. Talked to Xcceleration about this motor, they say it is a solid 50hp over stock, but retains stock compression. If so it should be a nice little upgrade. Selling my motor will just about cover the cost so I'm happy.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
DBCooper
Beautiful, really beautiful job. It looks great.
sawtooth
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 7 2011, 02:26 AM) *

Beautiful, really beautiful job. It looks great.

Thanks Paul, what's the update with your car? Just driving and having too much fun?
JRust
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 7 2011, 01:20 AM) *

I ended up getting a new motor too. A guy down the street from me had the same motor (phase II sohc 2.5) that was built by Xcceleration. He bought it a few years ago and never installed it. The heads have been worked over and it has the cams I wanted to upgrade to. Talked to Xcceleration about this motor, they say it is a solid 50hp over stock, but retains stock compression. If so it should be a nice little upgrade. Selling my motor will just about cover the cost so I'm happy.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Dang it just keeps getting better! A new motor too? I'm jealous beer.gif
jaxdream
I'd call it Kermit.........

That is one of the most fantastic looking teeners I've seen pictured for a while , wayyyyy faster than Yelo.

My $.02........

Jack
mrgjones
I love the zinc plating. What are you using to pre dip or "pickle" the parts before they go in the tank? Also curious about your electrolyte solution and anode.
sawtooth
QUOTE(mrgjones @ Jun 7 2011, 09:38 AM) *

I love the zinc plating. What are you using to pre dip or "pickle" the parts before they go in the tank? Also curious about your electrolyte solution and anode.

After media blasting, I dip the parts in a mild acid for about 5 seconds. It's a concrete floor cleaning product. Seems to do the trick.

For electrolyte I'm using Zincate Concentrate from caswellplating.com. I also use their Zinc brightener. I tried some of the yellow chromate to copy the cadmium look but am not to impressed with it now, so I just do the zinc plating by itself.

You'll laugh at what I'm using for anodes. I didn't want to pay for the sheet metal style anode that Caswell sells. Figured I'd use them up pretty quickly. I looked at the marine anodes but wasn't sure I'd be getting pure zinc. So I ended up buying zinc bars off ebay. They claim to be pure zinc and are 2lbs each. Way overkill for size, but they should last forever and are giving great results.

The power supply/rectifier can be the most expensive piece. I found an old Lambda CC/CV on ebay that outputs 14 amps for $75 shipped. I'm really happy with it.
sawtooth
On the lift at the alignment shop this morning.
Click to view attachment

My wife's first drive in it since last fall, got the big smile approval.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JRust
Damn those wheels look good! Car is looking great Dean. I can't wait to see it in person. Not to mention get a ride with the new motor piratenanner.gif . Congrats on such a fine ride. I am sure your wife had a ball driving it driving-girl.gif
sawtooth
Made a trip up up to McCall last night with the family. Flushing out any bugs before WCR and testing out a new external stereo mic for the helmet cam, what a difference. Still need to isolate the rear trans mount better so I don't get the downshift whine up through the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALwR2Fj91Co
charliew
Dean it looks great. The whine I think is ring gear to pinion and you should be able to adjust it out if the pinion is in the right spot. Maybe Matt Monson will chime in, he is the guru, even though it is a suby I'm sure he has a lot of suby tranny experience also. Did you post the rear axle ratio it would like the rpms in the upper gears at their top when you get time, your tires are probably about 25 inches tall so it would be good for the 914 subt tranny guys to have as a reference. I think I remember the ratios are 3:90. 4:11 and 4:44 and maybe a 3:70
sawtooth
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 19 2011, 01:38 PM) *

Dean it looks great. The whine I think is ring gear to pinion and you should be able to adjust it out if the pinion is in the right spot. Maybe Matt Monson will chime in, he is the guru, even though it is a suby I'm sure he has a lot of suby tranny experience also. Did you post the rear axle ratio it would like the rpms in the upper gears at their top when you get time, your tires are probably about 25 inches tall so it would be good for the 914 subt tranny guys to have as a reference. I think I remember the ratios are 3:90. 4:11 and 4:44 and maybe a 3:70

Thanks Charlie, I'll look into the adjustment, would be great to get it figured out. I noticed this in my last trans too. The final drive on this trans is 4.11, tire height is about 24.5, gears are 3.545, 2.111, 1.448, 1.088, 0.780. At 65mph I'm at about 2800 rpm. So far I'm really happy with it.
charliew
It is the side to side of the ring gear but the pinion needs to be in the right front to rear relationship first. The side to side is the bearing adjusters on each side. I think you showed the pictures of all this? The only way I know to do the pinion without the factory tool would be to make one up on a known good tranny before it is taken apart. I'm hoping for a taller 1st gear so if I can I want to try a 3:70 or 3:90 but thats also with a turbo motor so more torque.
strawman
Look at my "Suby Rustoration" build blog on how to set the ring preload (see post 85 of Suby Rustoration). Pretty simple really; but it means you'll have to yank the trans. However, unless you've opened it up in the past or changed the preload, you might need new bearings...
jimkelly
that is some sweet video footage : )

jim
charliew
From my memory the backlash can be set by going in through the drain with a extension on a dial ind. The preload is the tension between the two side bearings. Set with a torque measurement on the amount of drag. Or a predetermined amount of fractional turns of the covers. Both are set with the side to side covers over the bearings.
sawtooth
Some pics from WCR. I got a chance to use the coveted WAS top prototype from Mark. Used it for the first half of the drive on Saturday, it was fantastic. We had the feeling of having the top off, light coming in overhead, but no sun or wind issues. It looked really great on the car, l didn't want to give it back. Mark had to pry it out of my hands, I'll be saving up for one of these babies.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sawtooth
And a few more... Hard to put into words what WCR 2011 meant to me and my wife Heidi. The event and a lot of great people in this club inspired me to get our car finished. Bottom line is it would have taken much longer without the goal of making it to WCR. There couldn't have been a greater way to celebrate getting the green machine on the road. Thanks everybody!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My last, and best run for me in the morning. Jamie's riding with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQKI0wL1wc
sawtooth
WCR drive to Crater Lake
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jzdu
Beautiful car Dean. It was nice to meet you.
sawtooth
QUOTE(jzdu @ Jun 29 2011, 09:09 PM) *

Beautiful car Dean. It was nice to meet you.

Thanks Brian, same here. Really enjoyed seeing your car there!
JRust
I just found my replacement Fuchs for your wheels Dean. Got a set of 16x7 front & 16x8 rears that should be at my house tommorow. So glad to get another set. I love 5-lug Fuchs on 914's drooley.gif . As good as they look on your car. I won't cringe every time I see them now smile.gif
sawtooth
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 30 2011, 04:27 PM) *

I just found my replacement Fuchs for your wheels Dean. Got a set of 16x7 front & 16x8 rears that should be at my house tommorow. So glad to get another set. I love 5-lug Fuchs on 914's drooley.gif . As good as they look on your car. I won't cringe every time I see them now smile.gif

Nice, but ooh 8's, those must a been spendy. Glad you'll have some new ones so I won't feel so bad for taking yours smile.gif
trojanhorsepower
Wow, you scared that guy so bad he jumped out and ran away.

The car is awesome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.