Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Green Hornet Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bobhasissues
What are you using to grind down your welds?
They look great.
I've been using an abrasive wheel followed by a flapper disc, but it takes me forever to get the welds cleaned up.
jmill
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Jul 26 2010, 08:31 AM) *

What are you using to grind down your welds?
They look great.
I've been using an abrasive wheel followed by a flapper disc, but it takes me forever to get the welds cleaned up.

I use a 4 1/2" grinder with 60 grit to knock down the high stuff. I then use a 3" 3M 80 grit sanding disk on a high speed grinder. To finish it off I use one of those abrasive sponge pads on my drill motor.

jmill
I've finally got lights in my garage. That and the slacker thread gave me some motivation to start working on the car again. Unfortunately, I'm just in time to have winter freeze me out of there again. headbang.gif
jmill
I'm installing a 22mm bar that came out of a car I cut up.

jmill
I still need to weld the plates in and replace the bushings. Eric, GPR and Pelican didn't have them. The operator at Pelican gave me a number to call to get them from the manufacturer. They're about $5 a piece. Unfortunately after shipping it was like $22 bucks. sheeplove.gif
jmill
Welded in and waiting on bushings..

jmill
Front suspension bits coming together.

nsr-jamie
Cool, glad to see work has started again on this project. Hope you get lots of work done before winter sets in.
jmill
Thanks Jamie. I'm vowing to brave the cold until my parts stash runs out. I bought a bunch of stuff from Eric that has been sitting in boxes for months. Paint will have to wait until it warms up though. I debated waiting to bolt stuff on until I painted it but figured I'd be more motivated if I saw some progress. Worse case is I take stuff back apart or just tape and mask the shiney bits.
jmill
Installing turbo tie rods. Couldn't find the universal inner tie rod tool at any flaps. I ended up buying a cheap 1 1/4" wrench and grinding it thinner.

3d914
Great thread John. You're making good progress even though you started back in 08 like me. I find it's always an exercise in focus.

Keep it up.
sean_v8_914
great work!!!
did you use the shrinking disc on wrinkled flare ?
jmill
Thanks guys. I wish it was just focus holding me back. It's mostly the lack of spare cash and time. I haven't tried the disk yet. I plan to after a bunch of practice.

I haven't touched it in a few weeks. Its pheasant and deer season now. piratenanner.gif
jm993rs
more intestersted thread !!!!

good good job !!!!!

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
jmill
Winter froze me out of the garage but I'm starting to get some more parts together. Eric hooked me up with a set of rebuilt S calipers and I picked up a Bosch dizzy for my 2.4 off of ebay.

Any recommendations for a place to send the dizzy for a rebuild?

arkitect
QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 18 2010, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 18 2010, 07:42 PM) *

That butt welded seam came out so nice I bet you hated to have to cut it out!

Your not joking. I had to do so serious soul searching on that one. I sat in the garage for a 1/2 hour trying to figure out if I really wanted to do the flares. I came up with the fact that it was a bent up 1.7 destined to be cut up for parts. I saved it from that fate. The fact that this one is going to be on the road is a bonus. I went with the flares.

I tried to weld the flares on as careful as I butt welded the stock fender. I bought those Intergrips from Eastwood. I don't like them. The gap was too big and they didn't line up the panels flush. I tossed them over my shoulder. Any place that the two panels lined up perfect I spot welded. I then used deep throat vice grips, a dolly block and a hammer to line up the rest of the seam. I'm hoping when I grind off the weld it'll look as nice as the stock fender.

I can't see how guys weld flares on in a day. It took me several hours just to get one lined up right and tacked. I guess it gets easier with practice. confused24.gif

I am surprised that the intergrips didn't work out. Have not tried them, but looks like it would even the metal out well for a good butt weld.

It must have been pretty difficult to cut out that fender after all that work.

Dave
jmill
QUOTE(arkitect @ Mar 7 2012, 10:34 PM) *

I am surprised that the intergrips didn't work out. Have not tried them, but looks like it would even the metal out well for a good butt weld.

It must have been pretty difficult to cut out that fender after all that work.

Dave

The intergrips hold the material straight directly under the clamp. The problem is you can't weld there. I found it better to use deep vice grips and spot right next to the jaws. Vice grips hold the material much tighter. The little wing nut on the intergrip cant apply the same clamping force.
jmill
Finallly have two headlight buckets in. I also repaired the front driver side panel and hood seal area. Once I finish up the front flare install I'll paint the front of the car.

rick 918-S
Progress!
jmill
Saw a 2.2T on Pelican and decided to buy it. It arrived today. I needed a bunch of stuff for my 2.4 . This fit the bill and the price was right.

rick 918-S
That's golden! Love the small 6.
effutuo101
Love that motor! so much fun!
jcambo7
I have a 2.2 in mine and love it! It's a blast to drive. driving.gif
jmill
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Apr 3 2012, 09:58 AM) *

Love that motor! so much fun!

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 3 2012, 10:07 AM) *

I have a 2.2 in mine and love it! It's a blast to drive. driving.gif

Are you guys running the T,E or S?
stuttgart46
I love the 2.4 with E cams and S crank. Very fun to drive on the street without the temperment of the S cams, IMHO
jmill
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Apr 3 2012, 04:00 PM) *

I love the 2.4 with E cams and S crank. Very fun to drive on the street without the temperment of the S cams, IMHO

The S & E cranks are counter weighted on the 2.2 unlike the T but I believe you mean S pistons and cylinders.
jcambo7
This is how my engine was built by Jeff(sixnotfour)
2.2L E cam motor. S spec: Heads, intake, pistons, & Zenith carbs.
Eric_Shea
Gonna be a smoke'n car John! smilie_pokal.gif
jmill
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 3 2012, 05:16 PM) *

Gonna be a smoke'n car John! smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Eric. Hopefully it gets done in my lifetime.

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 3 2012, 04:59 PM) *

That's a nice engine. My plan is 2.2 S pistons, S heads, 2.4 CW crank, Solex cams and Weber carbs. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for the p&c's at the moment so I'll do a rebuild on the T motor while I save up for parts. If I use my 2.4 CW crank straight out of the shoot I won't have to split the case to change to the S p&c's.
jcambo7
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 3 2012, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 3 2012, 04:59 PM) *

That's a nice engine. My plan is 2.2 S pistons, S heads, 2.4 CW crank, Solex cams and Weber carbs. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for the p&c's at the moment so I'll do a rebuild on the T motor while I save up for parts. If I use my 2.4 CW crank straight out of the shoot I won't have to split the case to change to the S p&c's.

Thanks! Sounds like you're going to be building a great engine too! I would to eventually upgrade to Webers but as long as my Zenith's keep working and I can find parts for them than their is no reason to change. That is why I PM'ed you about the Zenith's on the engine you bought. It's been hard enough for me to find some one with one part and even harder to find them complete.
seanery
I'm liking your work and this thread! smilie_pokal.gif
jmill
QUOTE(seanery @ May 27 2012, 08:29 PM) *

I'm liking your work and this thread! smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks. I needed that to help get me motivated again.

I haven't had much time to work on it lately. Spring soccer season has me in a holding pattern. I did buy paint and almost finished up the passenger side flare. Not a whole lot of visual progress, though. I'm hoping to get the bodywork and paint done before winter sets in.
rick 918-S
Time for a little icon_bump.gif Slacker! lol-2.gif
jmill
I had planned on painting the car before I put it together. Plans change. I need to get this thing rolling. After 2 years without progress I need some motivation. Driving it down the road is what I need.

Cleaned up the 911 hubs with oven cleaner. Didn't get them perfect but close enough for the girls I run with. Installed new bearings. What a total PITA. Even after baking hubs at 250 and using a 20 ton press they were difficult. Not looking forward to doing that again. Installed new rotors and S calipers (thanks Eric). A day or two more on the front's and I'll move to the rear.
rick 918-S
I saw you front hub post but the wifi where I'm staying went down so I couldn't comment. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif Keep after it!
rick 918-S
I couldn't help but bump this thread. Life has a way of taking over project time. You have a great start on nice car John. Pick a small project and your one step closer. beerchug.gif
jmill
Thanks for the bump Rick. This project has been stalled long enough. I was looking it over last week and started to get the itch to work on it again. Next thing you know I was logged onto the World. I then found Ben just down the road from me looking to make everything I need to finish it. I also just happened to have parts that he needs for his project. Sometimes timing is everything.
lonewolfe
Great work and an awesome thread!
Dion
Just read your thread John. Awesome work! Keep at it.
jmill
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 22 2015, 01:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Dec 27 2015, 04:54 PM) *

Thanks guys, I'm trying. Unfortunately, my weekends are booked for a bit. I made the mistake of buying a bunch of Christmas presents I need to install or build. So it's an alarm and stereo install for my sons car and making bedroom furniture for my daughter. When do kids usually move out? unsure.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 27 2015, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 22 2015, 01:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Dec 27 2015, 04:54 PM) *

Thanks guys, I'm trying. Unfortunately, my weekends are booked for a bit. I made the mistake of buying a bunch of Christmas presents I need to install or build. So it's an alarm and stereo install for my sons car and making bedroom furniture for my daughter. When do kids usually move out? unsure.gif

They don't. Well sometimes they do. But sometimes they come back.
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif shades.gif happy11.gif
3d914
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 27 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Ditto, they don't! It's either getting tougher for them - or we're just getting softer.

John, when we gonna see those new 17" wheels/tires on? Keep at it.
jmill
QUOTE(3d914 @ Feb 7 2017, 01:44 PM) *

Ditto, they don't! It's either getting tougher for them - or we're just getting softer.

John, when we gonna see those new 17" wheels/tires on? Keep at it.

Thanks for the bump Gerard. It seems my fun money takes a hit every time I turn around. Ben (mb911) keeps me motivated and has talked me off the ledge a few times. I'm hoping to have it on the wheels by the end of March. It may only be there for a picture or I may cruise it with the 1.7 for a bit. Then it will go back on jack stands for the 6 install.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the fun money holds out long enough. av-943.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.