Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VOX Subaru Swap build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
VOX
yay summer, finally getting back to the car.
first off lookie what i found huge black window, both the male and female.
IPB Image

retrofiting bumpers! pretty easy took a note card to the 72 parts car lined it up with the edges and marked it accordingly, then brought it over and drilled it out with a 21/62 drill bit. just a little bit bigger then the bolt. worked great for the rear, fronts needed some adjusting.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

front retrofitting.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

and here we got bored.
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Hell yeah man, it's all about the old bumpers, and I know you're gonna go blacked out, right?

Awesome, I know how you feel living only a few miles away when you say, "Yay summer" we really have it lucky with this California weather and being able to work outside till like...... 8:30
VOX
yea gonna paint the bumpers black, hahaha were definitely spoiled here in ca with nice weather, its actually pretty weird that its so cloudy this week. as for that drive we can go up and down the coast once were both done. maybe hit up a canyon or something.

we cut out the front trunk for the radiator. thinking of cutting out the circles underneath as well.
IPB Image
VOX
so i was removing the gas tank and there are 3 wires connected to it, seems like its for the fuel level sender. anyways is there a way to unplug it? i dont want to go snipping the wires if i dont have to.
914forme
They pull straight up, you can pry them up gently if they are corroded.
VOX
had to removed the expansion pack before removing the plug.

been slacking off but finally put in my order for the KEP adapter plate. trying to decide how i want to cut the inner fender for the radiator exhaust. either cut up the red sections and drilling holes in the center section looks like that part is reinforced. or just cut up the entire section in green like what i see most people do.
IPB Image
McMark
The large reinforcements are for the 75/76 impact bumpers. You've backdated, so they're just dead weight now. Drill/cut right through them.
VOX
just picked up the adapter plate, timing belt water pump seals are done. i need to modify the hard fuel lines but not quite sure how yet.

IPB Image
VOX
damn aint that the truth
IPB Image

adpater plate on with flywheel oh yea and story, got the seals from dr. evil THANKS DR EVIL. put in the seals then the stub axles the engines all done timeing belt replaced rollers and bearings and seals as well as sparkplugs just need to pick up the spark plug wires and put everything back together and figure out how to run the fuel and coolant. started to install the adapter plate however we didnt have the clutch alignment tool looks like we'll have to finish it up next weekend.

IPB Image

IPB Image

shrinkwrap?
IPB Image

transmission was dirty so we took it to a self car wash to use their engine degreser however this particular place didnt have it so we went ahead and sprayed it down with the pressurized soap.
IPB Image
dlo914
We also stripped down the intake manifold, cleaned it, and then painted it w/ some high temp red paint. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow or sometime this week.
oldschool
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 5 2009, 12:16 AM) *

We also stripped down the intake manifold, cleaned it, and then painted it w/ some high temp red paint. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow or sometime this week.

dude you guy's are cooking man aktion035.gif ....so I think I want the red car to be a subi pusher. let me know when I can stop by and get a close up view shades.gif
dlo914
Progress biggrin.gif
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

This will be the exact position our engine is gonna sit in the engine bay. At the moment only the tranny is attached to the body. We're gonna work on modding the small car engine mounts. We tried to mock up the engine bar w/ the mounts but the small car mounts overlapped by a guesstimate of 1/2-1". So we're gonna use 5/16 thick angle stock and create some sort of mount to adapt the small car mounts to the stock engine bar.
dlo914
I got bored and rendered a image of what our project will look like when we're finished:
dlo914
Engine+Tranny have been united w/ the body.
SECHSER
sAweet! i've heard you guys talking about this project, and this is the first time i've every seen this thread. looks like some great progress man.. ! aktion035.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(SECHSER @ Dec 23 2009, 10:29 PM) *

sAweet! i've heard you guys talking about this project, and this is the first time i've every seen this thread. looks like some great progress man.. ! aktion035.gif

SOT...are you selling your panel bus? I thought i saw an ad on craigslist of one same year, color, and condition like yours.
dlo914
We got the motor mount mocked n tacked and then we took it to the local muffler shop and they professionally welded it for $25.
dlo914
Bump...
TravisNeff
Is that the mount from smallcar?
DBCooper
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 30 2009, 07:22 AM) *

Is that the mount from smallcar?

The two side pieces are. I intended to use it as well, but then chose to keep the exhaust crossing in the front for the turbo plumbing, so needed to use a different mount.
budman5201
Looks just like my small car mounts that i used in my N/A conversion.
dlo914
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Dec 30 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Looks just like my small car mounts that i used in my N/A conversion.

Yup! We got the idea from Amenson's project thread. The only thing we did different was just notch the driver side arm for the shift rod hole in the engine bar. Amenson notched both arms providing the intake manifold clearance. But to our discovery if we did that the water pump outlet neck would not clear the engine bar. I'll take more pictures later on.
72914GOLD
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentHey looks good man, it's a lot of work isnt it? I'm starting a similar build right now, I picked up a N/A 2.2 for $150 and I am mounting it to a Audi 5000 transaxle which is suppose to handle up to 450-500 HP, which is perfect for when I can afford a STI engine. Keep up the good work. welder.gif
dlo914
Thanks! Good luck on yours as well! You should setup a project thread so we could compare notes n such. biggrin.gif
VOX
its been awhile! graduated and started working full time. so far i've thrown down a first coat of paint, needs another 3 or so. spark plugs, new wires, alt belt are in, looking to pick up megasquirt to run the engine. just picked up a radiator today.

IPB Image

IPB Image
oldschool
QUOTE(VOX @ Jan 11 2011, 09:02 PM) *

its been awhile! graduated and started working full time. so far i've thrown down a first coat of paint, needs another 3 or so. spark plugs, new wires, alt belt are in, looking to pick up megasquirt to run the engine. just picked up a radiator today.

IPB Image

IPB Image

glad your bad to work(on the 914) I was getting worried blink.gif..now get your boy D down there and help you out rolleyes.gif
dlo914
Found some time yesterday after class to mock up and mount the radiator:

mocked-up:
IPB Image

Top View:
IPB Image

Front View:
IPB Image

dlo914
Next thing on the list is some shrouding made out of sheet metal.
Andyrew
Thats a nice sized radiator! What is it out of?

PS Rubber isolators for the radiator are your friend. The radiator should not be touching metal.
dlo914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 14 2011, 01:39 PM) *

Thats a nice sized radiator! What is it out of?

PS Rubber isolators for the radiator are your friend. The radiator should not be touching metal.

It's a dual core aluminum radiator for a Miata. I need to hit up Home Depot for some rubber bushings at the moment i'm only using rubber washers.
VOX
IPB Image
dlo914
Managed to fabricate the radiator shroud a few weeks back:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
then we got bored and started blue taping biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
dlo914
double posted...oops. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Looks great!!
dlo914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 15 2011, 08:05 PM) *

Looks great!!

Thanks! Same with yours! Next we've gotta route the coolant hoses.
VOX
IPB Image
IPB Image
dlo914
16x7 +40 offset 4x100 bolt pattern Volk TE37 in gun metal gray, i think we're gonna go w/ 225/50/16 sized tires. These were installed with 4x130 to 4x100 bolt pattern adapters.
fasthonda
QUOTE(dlo914 @ May 15 2011, 12:43 PM) *

16x7 +40 offset 4x100 bolt pattern Volk TE37 in gun metal gray, i think we're gonna go w/ 225/50/16 sized tires. These were installed with 4x130 to 4x100 bolt pattern adapters.

Volks on a 914. Pretty cool.

BTW I bought the red car from Dale show in your first post.

Regards,

Michael
VOX
holy cow, you shipped it out to SC? wouldnt dale be surprised to find both his 914's are japanese powered lol. cant wait to see yours running! f20c in a 914 incredible. hopefully i'll get mines running soon as well.
DrifterJay
Cool project guys, where did you source your wheel adapters from? Any concerns or issues with them?
dlo914
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ May 21 2011, 11:06 PM) *

Cool project guys, where did you source your wheel adapters from? Any concerns or issues with them?

We found the guy on eBay, and it just so happens the guy was local. So we were able to go in person to give him the dimensions and paid cash. We got'em off this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Adapt...sQ5fAccessories So far we have no issues, but we've only had the car stationary. So we'll see if they will affect our alignment later on.
VOX
lowered the front end. super low, got the arm to be parallel.IPB Image
IPB Image

built a gt lid, took about a coupleof hours not too bad, except for the center part, the 2nd grill pops up, so i took a few nuts and screws to fasten it down looks pretty good to me.
IPB Image
dlo914
Cut the opening in the bumper and valance for the radiator:

IPB Image
VOX
IPB Image

IPB Image

80's ford f150 fuel pump.

IPB Image
hsus2k
Volks does sell 5X130 pattern TE37 18" wheels weighs about 18# each, but the offset are for 90 or newer cars. some thing like 50-60mm offset; they are 8.5" wide or 9"wides.
I don't like to use spacer or adaptors, especially for a track car.

Wish they had 16" with the ocrrect offset for 5X130 pattern.
My 16" SRS wheels for my VW are only 12.5# each.

Porsche OEM wheels are so heavy!
JRust
I'm hoping you are running some rubber on the mounts for the radiator. It should have rubber on all points connecting to the car. If not the flex will kill your radiator sooner rather than later sad.gif .

Great progress overall! Keep it up piratenanner.gif
VOX
5x130 is the 911 bolt pattern, not willing to shell out the money for that conversion just yet, also 18" is quite big for the 914.

Yes i would not run spacers on a track or any race car, but this isnt one.

my volks are 16x7 and they weigh 12 lbs each.

yes we'll be adding rubber to the mounting points, when we find suitable rubber pieces but that isnt a priority right now, i really just want to get it running.

thanks for the comments guys.

currently i have the megasquirt 3 made, waiting to be installed, just scared of doing the wiring really, so its holding me back, also im trying to finish up other parts of the car. thinking of hosting a bbq so i could get some help reinstalling the shifter, throttle cable, clutch cable, and restoring the brakes, not sure if people in the area would be interested, but i'll make a separate thread on that when i have the parts for it.
Prospectfarms
I just finished reading your thread (to date) and it was fascinating. Reminded me somewhat of Rique's but your project seems a little more "accessible" in terms of budget and choices. Thanks for posting it.

There must be something in the water in Southern California that produces braniac kids. It is also very generous of you (and all [most] of the posters of build threads) to entertain us with a slideshow of your work. Articulate and energetic young people like you inspire and amaze.
oldschool
QUOTE(VOX @ Aug 10 2011, 07:01 PM) *

5x130 is the 911 bolt pattern, not willing to shell out the money for that conversion just yet, also 18" is quite big for the 914.

Yes i would not run spacers on a track or any race car, but this isnt one.

my volks are 16x7 and they weigh 12 lbs each.

yes we'll be adding rubber to the mounting points, when we find suitable rubber pieces but that isnt a priority right now, i really just want to get it running.

thanks for the comments guys.

currently i have the megasquirt 3 made, waiting to be installed, just scared of doing the wiring really, so its holding me back, also im trying to finish up other parts of the car. thinking of hosting a bbq so i could get some help reinstalling the shifter, throttle cable, clutch cable, and restoring the brakes, not sure if people in the area would be interested, but i'll make a separate thread on that when i have the parts for it.

What kind of bbq chowtime.gif
76-914
QUOTE(fasthonda @ May 15 2011, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(dlo914 @ May 15 2011, 12:43 PM) *

Volks on a 914. Pretty cool.

BTW I bought the red car from Dale show in your first post.

Regards,

Michael

And I pulled the tranny out of your red car before you bought it! Odometer showed something like 43K IIRC. It was a solid bodied 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.