Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VOX Subaru Swap build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dlo914
Can't wait to work on the car this Friday. Might have a few extra helping hands smile.gif
RJMII
is VOX's name James? re: post #47

dlo914
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 12 2009, 03:31 AM) *

is VOX's name James? re: post #47

Yeah, repost #47?
dlo914
So today i got an early start on the car and proceeded to weld up the sidemarker holes and antenna hole. ***Note this is my first time welding*** Here's some pictures of my progress:

1. I jasco'd (paint remover) the surrounding area.
IPB Image
2. Then took a wire wheel and brushed off the paint down to bare metal.
IPB Image
3. Cut out a circular piece of 22 gauge sheet metal.
IPB Image
4. Used a C-clamp to hold the piece in place.
IPB Image
5. Tack welded, filled up the hole, and then took a grinder to clean up the welds.
IPB Image
To finish up the patch we're gonna bondo the area and get it down as thin as possible for a smooth surface.

Here's pics of the other side and the antenna hole that was patched.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Lastly, we cut out the rusted area where the battery tray use to be. Then took some cardboard and cut out two pieces that fit the area cut out and then welded it in place. We weren't able to grind down the welds since our grinding disk was worn down.
Before:
IPB Image
After:
IPB Image
jonferns
Flux-core welding? Nice work Dan
dlo914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 13 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Flux-core welding? Nice work Dan

Thanks! Yeah it's flux-core dry.gif i wanna try gas n tig welding now biggrin.gif
VOX
so im looking at the front trunk and the rain gutters along the edge of the hood is all rusted quite badly. how would you guys reccomend fixing this? should i cut out the gutters then weld in new bent pieces or should i treat the rust with a rust converter and then weld a new piece on top of it, to keep its shape. any ideas?
FourBlades

I patched some of my rain gutters and they ended up looking pretty rough
because it is hard to grind them smooth enough to blend in.

I cut out some other sections and made new gutters and welded them on. Those
looked better. Try to keep the area you need to weld small and your repairs
will look better.

John
dlo914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 15 2009, 10:41 AM) *

I patched some of my rain gutters and they ended up looking pretty rough
because it is hard to grind them smooth enough to blend in.

I cut out some other sections and made new gutters and welded them on. Those
looked better. Try to keep the area you need to weld small and your repairs
will look better.

John

Very helpful advice. Yeah there's quite a few sections that have rust through and we'll use the cut out section and weld in new metal technique.

VOX
and onto the jackstands we go.

IPB Image
smokey
QUOTE(VOX @ Mar 20 2009, 11:15 PM) *

and onto the jackstands we go.

IPB Image

popcorn[1].gif
beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
No! Now it wont be off for 3 years!

Edit: Hey VOX, are you guys hitting up WCC? Gotta represent the young teeners like you and me!
VOX
we're really gonna try man, hope to see you there, but it depends how far we get by then. im going to try and get all the rust done and sand it down this week, then get paint on it before i go back to school. if you got some free time while the paint dries or something drop us a line and come check ours out.
dlo914
I see sunlight! Hopefully it stays that way so we can really work on the car all day tomorrow.
VOX
more pictures yay

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
dlo914
And before pic of the rear quarter panel portion: biggrin.gif

IPB Image
VOX
killed 2 black widows i hope there arent anymore!

two 914 on jackstands
IPB Image

trunk painted not the greatest work but i hope to cover it with carpet.
IPB Image

painted engine bay with bbq high temp paint.
IPB Image
jonferns
Nice job guys!
wallys914
Great Progress!
VOX
thanks guys, we appreciate the comments.

sadly small car no longer sells just the side peices to the subaru to vanagon engine mount kit, looks like we'll have to buy the whole set =/

engine wiring harness is here, cant wait to tackle that =/

bored of body work so we'll start working on the engine this weekend, and hopefully get all of its maintence done.
charliew
Have you seen Tony's engine mount? Check his thread out it's a pretty well done mount and you won't need small car parts to do it. He even has the dimensions for it.
dlo914
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 30 2009, 11:04 PM) *

Have you seen Tony's engine mount? Check his thread out it's a pretty well done mount and you won't need small car parts to do it. He even has the dimensions for it.

Thing with Tony's engine mount is that you have to mount it to the inner sections of the engine bay. While we can just weld the Small Car engine mount onto the existing engine bar. I mean i would tack weld it onto the bar and then send it out to be structurally welded on by a professional.
TonyAKAVW
I have no welding capability at home, I think I paid at most $75 to have all the welding done on my engine bar and its mounting in the engine bay. I paid maybe $20 for materials. It hold the engine in the right spot. I'm not sure how the Small Car mount works, but using the stock mounting points is tricky because they are so far forward of the engine mounts on an EJ motor. My best estimate is that it is between 14 and 18 inches away. Thats an awefully big torque arm.

-Tony
dlo914
Here's what Amenson (Scott) did with the Small Car mount:
IPB Image
IPB Image

the progress thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=58431&st=0
dlo914
Hands are aching to work on the 914 after a first week back in school fulltime. Probably, will be done with welding and can start on refreshing the EJ22 powerplant.
pankopp
You should like the EJ22, thats what I have in my car. Hopfully you got one of the 90-93 Legacy ej22, they are dual port exhaust and have a ton more aftermarket surport than the later 90's single port heads.

The only dislike i have about the ej22 is the low 5500 rpm redline. but the lowend grunt of the motor is a very nice improvement over my original stock 1.7 liter. But only about a year with the ej22, i got the itch for more power and built a turbo kit from the old stock parts off my WRX and threw it all on the ej22. Simply said, its much more fun and quicker now. All on only 5 psi.

Keep up the progress! Let me know if you have any questions on the wiring haness or anything else about the motor...

VOX
we do have an early ej22, we're just about to start working on the engine/wiring harness so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
dlo914
QUOTE(pankopp @ Apr 3 2009, 11:48 AM) *

You should like the EJ22, thats what I have in my car. Hopfully you got one of the 90-93 Legacy ej22, they are dual port exhaust and have a ton more aftermarket surport than the later 90's single port heads.

The only dislike i have about the ej22 is the low 5500 rpm redline. but the lowend grunt of the motor is a very nice improvement over my original stock 1.7 liter. But only about a year with the ej22, i got the itch for more power and built a turbo kit from the old stock parts off my WRX and threw it all on the ej22. Simply said, its much more fun and quicker now. All on only 5 psi.

Keep up the progress! Let me know if you have any questions on the wiring haness or anything else about the motor...

The 5500 rpm redline doesn't sound correct. I read on www.thesamba.com that if you're using the wrong Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) you'll get an incorrect reading on the tach. I just searched on eBay for the 91' Subaru Legacy gauge cluster and came up with this ebay ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEEDOMETER...#ht_3513wt_1217

IPB Image

The correct redline should be 6.5k. As it reads on this tachometer.
pankopp

Actually i guess your right. I have the stock cluster in my garage and its the same as the one pictured... I built my own vss out of a magnetic pole switches and some magnets, but it souldnt affect my autometer tach, you do however have to use the autometer tach adapter box to read correctly with any Subaru engine. either way, it feels low. Or maybe it just get there too quick. shades.gif
VaccaRabite
Vox, progress looks good.

A suggestion, to take or leave. Paint the engine bay a light color. It is dark and cramped working in there. Anything that reflects a little more light is going to be very helpful down the line.

Zach
dlo914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 5 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Vox, progress looks good.

A suggestion, to take or leave. Paint the engine bay a light color. It is dark and cramped working in there. Anything that reflects a little more light is going to be very helpful down the line.

Zach

Thanks for the suggestion Zach. smile.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(pankopp @ Apr 5 2009, 06:24 PM) *

Actually i guess your right. I have the stock cluster in my garage and its the same as the one pictured... I built my own vss out of a magnetic pole switches and some magnets, but it souldnt affect my autometer tach, you do however have to use the autometer tach adapter box to read correctly with any Subaru engine. either way, it feels low. Or maybe it just get there too quick. shades.gif

I'm not sure if this is the low RPM culprit: The stock 901 transmission
http://www.914world.com/specs/regearing_901.php
dlo914
So after class/work today i had some daylight to spare and decided to finish up the welding from last Friday:

Last Friday i tackled the passenger side headlight rain gutter, the passenger and driver side top rain gutter. And today i tackled the passenger side jack point location. Here are the pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
BTW...how would one go about grinding down the welds in the corner? Dremel?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Huge rats nest, surprised i didn't find a rat in there as well! mad.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image
charliew
You can get carbide burrs in lots of different shapes. One shaped like a spear point would get in the corner easily in a air tool. Be sure and wear safety glasses cause it will really make sharp cuttings and they go everywhere. You do pretty quick work but you are also leaving some small holes in your welds. Go back and weld over the holes and it will last a lot longer.
dlo914
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 7 2009, 10:37 PM) *

You can get carbide burrs in lots of different shapes. One shaped like a spear point would get in the corner easily in a air tool. Be sure and wear safety glasses cause it will really make sharp cuttings and they go everywhere. You do pretty quick work but you are also leaving some small holes in your welds. Go back and weld over the holes and it will last a lot longer.

My concentration was running low after 6 hours of work today. I'll go over them on Friday. Is there any way to get a good bead down with Flux Core? I've only been able to tack weld the piece in and then connecting the tack welds little by little. I'll check harbor freight on friday for the carbide burrs. Thanks smile.gif
charliew
I buy lots of stuff at hf but I can't say that they will have a good carbide burr. I get mine from a industrial supply. You can try a hf burr and if it goes bad you can probably get one at a sears store tool dept. A good one that will last a long time will not be cheap. If you let it bounce or chatter it will break teeth off when cutting steel. It takes a little practice learning to control it. It's like the limp wrist syndrome with a semi auto pistol I guess. It sometimes takes two hands to control it especially in a small hole, it will try to run around the inside.
dlo914
Just had James (VOX) put in an order for the engine maintenance items, the following were ordered from www.partsgeek.com: 1 bando timing belt, 2 koyo timing belt idler, 1 nsk tensioner roller, 1 timing belt idler cogged(nsk) 2 camshaft seal(nok) 1 valve cover gasket set (ishino) and 1 Nippon oil filter. Total came out to $240.10 including shipping.
charliew
Are you removing the cam pulleys to do the cam seals? Hope you've done this before. You might want a new waterpump and thermostat with gasket and front and rear main seal while you are at it.
dlo914
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 9 2009, 07:08 AM) *

Are you removing the cam pulleys to do the cam seals? Hope you've done this before. You might want a new waterpump and thermostat with gasket and front and rear main seal while you are at it.

Yeah, we're gonna get the water pump from Autozone since they offer one with a lifetime warranty. As for the thermostat, partsgeek didn't have the correct one so i'll probably have to look around for the correct one. And i'll check on the front and rear main seal before i go about purchasing. Oh and the accessory belts, since we're not gonna be running powersteering i wanna see if i can remove the powersteering pump and run a shorter belt or maybe just fill up the unit and recirculate.

In the past i've done a refreshing on a 93' Camry V6 3VZFE, i did the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, timing belt tensioner, idler pulley, front main seal, spark plugs, valve cover gasket kit, and accessory belts.
pankopp
get rid of power steering... You can find shorter belts easily. Also for the water pump, you may want to look into geting the turbo water pump. the water pumps off of the early turbo legacy's and wrx's have a different angled outlet and thermostat housing. With this pump you can use the wrx exhaust manifolds to have a much simpler exhuast design, or to add a turbo later down the road. The still bolt to the block the exact same, just different outlet.
dlo914
QUOTE(pankopp @ Apr 9 2009, 10:04 AM) *

get rid of power steering... You can find shorter belts easily. Also for the water pump, you may want to look into geting the turbo water pump. the water pumps off of the early turbo legacy's and wrx's have a different angled outlet and thermostat housing. With this pump you can use the wrx exhaust manifolds to have a much simpler exhuast design, or to add a turbo later down the road. The still bolt to the block the exact same, just different outlet.

idea.gif Hmmm...

That would save us the hassle if we do decide to go the turbo route way down the line. What year turbo legacy and wrx is this water pump off? 91?
dlo914
Picked up tires for our project. Found a set of four 205/50/15 Falken Azenis RT-615 for $200 off of Craigslist and i offered $180.
pankopp

The pump I used is the water pump from an 02 WRX, bought from ebay. I am not positive but i think all turbo water pumps are the same. They have a revised angled outlet and two outlets on the side of the pump instead of the N/a pump's one outlet for the heater core line. I just plugged the extra outlet.
dlo914
The same water pump shown in this picture?
IPB Image
charliew
You will need the extra outlet to cool the turbo.
dlo914
Pankopp, how did you plug the extra outlet? Since we're not gonna be running a turbo anytime soon we'll need the extra outlet plugged.
charliew
If it will ever be in a cold climate you can use the extra also for the throttlebody heat.
pankopp
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Apr 15 2009, 11:32 AM) *

Pankopp, how did you plug the extra outlet? Since we're not gonna be running a turbo anytime soon we'll need the extra outlet plugged.

Edit: Actually now that i look at it, i think the picture shown is the same as the one i used. It has three outlets instead of just two. I used one outlet to feed the heater core hardlines and just ran a line between the two other outlets to circulate the flow. it has worked fine for a little over a year of use. I will craw under the car tomorrow and check, maybe take a quick pic for you.

Yes the extra outlet could be used to cool the turbo, if/when you add one. but i ended up just T'ing into the heater core lines. I didnt really want three feet of water line going up and around all the exhuast components... also, the throtle body water line already is sourced from the main engine coolant manifold on the top of the motor, under the intake manifold.

good luck!
pankopp
just checked my pump and it only has two outlets like i originally thought... two on the right side looking at the front of the motor. sorry for the confusion.
VOX
Thanks, we'll have to check that out.

we just picked up a transmission along with the engine bar, and shifter linkage. supposedly this transmission is from a shop (which moved to Alabama or Arkansas or something, but had someone working under them who had worked for nasa.) long story. anyways supposedly this transmission might have been rebuilt but im not sure. anyone know a shop like that? i want to find out if it really has been rebuilt or not. the tranny is wrapped with cellophane wrap looks like it has been shipped before (but the guy bought it along with a 914 in person)

also would anyone know if a 72 shifter will work for the 75 SS tranny linkage?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.