Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V Day 20% off Auto Atlanta order
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
ConeDodger
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 26 2009, 12:43 PM) *

I got different prices then you. What did I miss .
AA $223 for the part
Pelican $175

You used the website. As I stated, I used the catalog.
dinomium
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 26 2009, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2009, 10:12 AM) *

rules don't apply to George, because he's king. HE says, but we haven't actually voted yet.

I'm not sure what part of the world you grew up in, but where i come from, a monarch is rarely "voted" into his position by the people ...
shades.gif Andy

that is SO right Andy,
Supreme power can only be wielded by a mandate of the people. I mean if some watery tart thrust a spear my way and I start demanding people call me Emperor, they'd think me Daft!

oh wait, that might be from The Holy Grail... I could be wrong...
736conver
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 26 2009, 02:47 PM) *

AA $223 for the part
Pelican $175

Well theres the problem, not really a good comparison using that information. $50 difference. 20% off is still more expensive then Pelican.
PeeGreen 914
You really can't go based on his catalog though Rob. Like what happened to me. He does not honor the prices listed in there. Then he lies about the stock he has. I was supposed to have bought the very last badge he had confused24.gif . Somehowhe has seven sitting on the shelf a month later? The prices really are not the issue for me. It is how the business is being conducted. You may have had these issues with other vendors but I have not. I deal only with Jonathan, now GPR, and he gets it right everytime. In fact he will tel you to go elsewhere if he knows he can't beat their price. Eric, PMB, gives great service while going the extra mile and gives great advice. Paragon, great prices. Patrick, good service and parts with what I needed. JWest, great products and shipping was fast.

No issues with any of them on my side. All parts shipped quickly and communication was excellent.

The other iteams I ordered from AA a long time ago and they were wrong. Did I call to make it right? no. My fault but they were simple rubber gaskets and I decided to just get them from Paragon. Other guys in the shop I worked at bought a large order from AA and he didn't get all the parts he ordered and the ones he did get were in poor condition.

Again, I have no issue with George running this as his hobby and have respect for what he does. I sure would love to do what he does. But as for a business I don't enjoy anything about it.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(dinomium @ Feb 26 2009, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 26 2009, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2009, 10:12 AM) *

rules don't apply to George, because he's king. HE says, but we haven't actually voted yet.

I'm not sure what part of the world you grew up in, but where i come from, a monarch is rarely "voted" into his position by the people ...
shades.gif Andy

that is SO right Andy,
Supreme power can only be wielded by a mandate of the people. I mean if some watery tart thrust a spear my way and I start demanding people call me Emperor, they'd think me Daft!

oh wait, that might be from The Holy Grail... I could be wrong...

av-943.gif beerchug.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 26 2009, 12:47 PM) *

AA $223 for the part
Pelican $175

why is there two different prices for AA then?

lol at grail reference
736conver
Just out of curiousity I did another comparison.

I need a new door handle dont have the funds to order right now but some price shopping shows.

Pelican $124
Zimms $129
AA $225
WorldPac with lock and key $182. The others were without a lock and key.
johnnie5
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 26 2009, 12:16 PM) *

So, saying George is upcharging 150% before offering 20% off is a lot of things but the least of these is very inaccurate.

The statement was made to try and make a point, not to be taken literally - for obvious reasons. I have found, at one time or another, prices to be higher there than competitors. That fact alone would not constitute me taking my business elsewhere. Yes there are parts offered that may or may not be available elsewhere, and for that - we expect to pay. But lets not take advantage of that fact. I am always looking for the best deal possibile, but sometimes you gotta pay. The bad taste in my mouth has more to do with ethics and customer service/treatment. ABC parts could have every part specific to my car and the guy who runs it a plethora of knowledge, but if I consider his business ethics not up to par, or I just plain and simply don't like him... I'm not going to give him my money. I will go where I am appreciated as a customer and given a fair shake - and will be loyal to my dying breath. End of story.

At first I thought, "Oh boy, what have I started" by creating this thread. I am actually glad I did though, because it has further solidified my opinion of a man who could stand to eat a whole 'humble pie', and then some. Just MY two cents.

I am done with this thread, have at it. I have a day off and am going out to the garage and work on my car... then take it for a nice long drive up the coast.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 26 2009, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 26 2009, 02:47 PM) *

AA $223 for the part
Pelican $175

Well theres the problem, not really a good comparison using that information. $50 difference. 20% off is still more expensive then Pelican.

No... still a good example. Once again, I refer you to page 5 of the catalog where it says "prices subject to change..." Your challenge was to show me a part that is 150% more. I'm not sure who said it, and they have probably edited it out now but someone said that George raised his prices 150% and then gave us 20% off.

Again, the only thing I can see that AA could have done better is to follow up on the order confirmation with a call or e-mail saying the part was not in stock. Even then, he stated in the announcement that if it was not in stock your order would be cancelled. If you didn't like that condition don't take the playing field.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Feb 26 2009, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 26 2009, 12:16 PM) *

So, saying George is upcharging 150% before offering 20% off is a lot of things but the least of these is very inaccurate.

The statement was made to try and make a point, not to be taken literally - for obvious reasons. I have found, at one time or another, prices to be higher there than competitors. That fact alone would not constitute me taking my business elsewhere. Yes there are parts offered that may or may not be available elsewhere, and for that - we expect to pay. But lets not take advantage of that fact. I am always looking for the best deal possibile, but sometimes you gotta pay. The bad taste in my mouth has more to do with ethics and customer service/treatment. ABC parts could have every part specific to my car and the guy who runs it a plethora of knowledge, but if I consider his business ethics not up to par, or I just plain and simply don't like him... I'm not going to give him my money. I will go where I am appreciated as a customer and will be loyal to my dying breath. End of story.

At first I thought, "Oh boy, what have I started" by creating this thread. I am actually glad I did though, because it has further solidified my opinion of a man who could stand to eat a whole 'humble pie', and then some. Just MY two cents.

I am done with this thread, have at it. I have a day off and am going out to the garage and work on my car... then take it for a nice long drive up the coast.

You said the 150% - 20%. In print it is literally - literal. There is no reason for anyone to think they are not to take it literally unless you state it. No one could hear the tone in your voice that indicated it meant anything other than an ethical attack.

Your problem is you got a confirmation and then true to what George stated, your order was cancelled. To me that means you have no valid problem. George did EXACTLY what he said he would do in the announcement post. You expect different. It ain't Macy's. AA isn't going to bend over and take it in the shorts because you aren't a happy customer. There are a number of reasons I can think of why George would make that kind of condition. For one thing, if he doesn't have the fuzzy dash whatever in stock he probably can't order just one and then he is stuck with twenty (if he can even order that few) of something no one but you wants.

I'm glad you are done with this thread. Too bad you never started it.
DBCooper
I guess that's the difference, a random universe. My only experience with AA was negative. 100 percent. I've never had a bad experience with Pelican, including them calling me to ask which piece I really needed. Sterling service, and they were interested, the exact opposite of AA.

The problem with that, of course, is that it's anecdotal and statistically irrelevant. The significant difference is that "AA Sucks!" threads are common. You've seen them before, we all have. Fashion? Pretty unlikely. I think it's attitude. Pelican makes a mistake, everyone does, and there is absolutely no hesitation in their actions to correct and make things right. The same situation at AA is pulling one of George's teeth. He's rude and condescending, exactly the way he was earlier in this thread. That's the difference, the sour taste in the mouth, the reason people don't forgive and forget AA.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter to any of us. Buy parts where you want and be happy. But it is good for newcomers to get some feedback and a heads-up. So, unlike Seinfeld, this kind of discussion (and venting) is actually helpful and Sroductive.

So Andy, I'm looking forward to these elections for KING!!!

ConeDodger
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 26 2009, 01:06 PM) *

Just out of curiousity I did another comparison.

I need a new door handle dont have the funds to order right now but some price shopping shows.

Pelican $124
Zimms $129
AA $225
WorldPac with lock and key $182. The others were without a lock and key.

Once again, irrelevent to the point. These reproduction door handles started showing up on the market a year or so back. I think it is Parts Heaven that sells them on EBay. You are comparing genuine Porsche to reproduction. Not a valid point.
DBCooper
Comparing prices is irrelevent anyway, Rob. The only way to know AA's prices is to call them. And get an order confirmation. Then see what the price actually is when it finally shows up in your mail box.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2009, 01:30 PM) *

I guess that's the difference, a random universe. My only experience with AA was negative. 100 percent. I've never had a bad experience with Pelican, including them calling me to ask which piece I really needed. Sterling service, and they were interested, the exact opposite of AA.

The problem with that, of course, is that it's anecdotal and statistically irrelevant. The significant difference is that "AA Sucks!" threads are common. You've seen them before, we all have. Fashion? Pretty unlikely. I think it's attitude. Pelican makes a mistake, everyone does, and there is absolutely no hesitation in their actions to correct and make things right. The same situation at AA is pulling one of George's teeth. He's rude and condescending, exactly the way he was earlier in this thread. That's the difference, the sour taste in the mouth, the reason people don't forgive and forget AA.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter to any of us. Buy parts where you want and be happy. But it is good for newcomers to get some feedback and a heads-up. So, unlike Seinfeld, this kind of discussion (and venting) is actually helpful and Sroductive.

Not fashion? Really? I wonder if I would get any support if I aired my complaints about Pelican Parts here? I know plenty of others who have had the same problems with them. Am I to assume then that we are just all reasonable people who took our valid complaint to the source instead of starting a mythstorm of negativity on the internet where it can spread like herpes through a trailer park?

Why shouldn't newcomers form their own opinions based on experience? If it is a random universe isn't it possible their experience could be 100% positive?

George did exactly what he said he was going to do. Where is the problem?
SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2009, 01:30 PM) *

I'll start a poll ... cheer.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2009, 01:56 PM) *

Comparing prices is irrelevent anyway, Rob. The only way to know AA's prices is to call them. And get an order confirmation. Then see what the price actually is when it finally shows up in your mail box.

I have had the same experience with Rich Bontempi at HPH. I got a $75 bolt once. Do you see Rich Bontempi having his name dragged through the mud in HPH bashing threads?

But once again, this is not responsive. So far we have had one example where George has a price less than 1% higher and another comparing a genuine Porsche part that is pretty much unobtainium to a reproduction. Show me where AA raised their prices 150% and then offered 20% off. It didn't happen.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 26 2009, 02:05 PM) *

I wonder if I would get any support if I aired my complaints about Pelican Parts here?

Or my less than stellar experience with Patrick Motorsports and their parts?
Talk about condescending "you don't spent enough money with us so we treat you like shit" attitude.
And then those expensive parts don't fit and need major reworking.

Did you see me start a "PMS sucks!" thread?
shades.gif Andy
Joe Bob
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 26 2009, 02:12 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

YOU can't...that's MY job....
PeeGreen 914

I wonder if I would get any support if I aired my complaints about Pelican Parts here?

Or my less than stellar experience with Patrick Motorsports and their parts?
Talk about condescending "you don't spent enough money with us so we treat you like shit" attitude.
And then those expensive parts don't fit and need major reworking.

shades.gif Andy

No, Z does that enough happy11.gif

Speaking of which. I bought all my parts from him before I knew more about them. After the stories I have heard I don't believe I will be buying from him if I don't need to. Jim did well for me when I needed the parts but having heard what has happened to other members looks very bad. It really isn't about prices orquality of parts. It is about service and courtesy. Calling yourself king or saying because you don't spend much here does not go over well at all. I do believe that issues that are brought up here are good for knowing who deserves our support and who does not.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 26 2009, 02:22 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

happy11.gif you beat me to it
mtndawg
This was a great sale. Dr 914 did have the rules set before the sale (I read them). I appreciate that I can talk to George whenever I call AA. The service is awesome!
DBCooper

Not fashion? Really? I wonder if I would get any support if I aired my complaints about Pelican Parts here? I know plenty of others who have had the same problems with them. Am I to assume then that we are just all reasonable people who took our valid complaint to the source instead of starting a mythstorm of negativity on the internet where it can spread like herpes through a trailer park?

Good one. A Georgia trailer park? Really. You ought to start a "Pelican Sucks" thread to test your theory and see what the common experience is. I'll bet yours is the exception, not the rule. Do it, let's find out. It may illustrate why AA threads pop up so regularly while complaints about other suppliers don't. Something to do with shared experiences.

Why shouldn't newcomers form their own opinions based on experience? If it is a random universe isn't it possible their experience could be 100% positive?

Could be, but to judge from the dozens of threads I've seen over the years the chances are pretty slim. I go out of my way to help out new people, so they don't step in the same crap holes I did. That's what civilization is about, building on the experiences of others. They don't HAVE to take your advice, but to not give it at all is an unquestionable misservice.

No, he didn't. The buyer got an order confirmation for that price, and THAT is what George said he was going to do. Fulfill that order. At that price. In writing. That's a contract. If he didn't have the part in stock he should NEVER confirm the order. That's a mistake, and one he's been making for years without any effort to correct. But mistake or not, once an order's confirmed there's an obligation to deliver. So he decided for whatever reason that he didn't want to fill it and saved himself five bucks or whatever. At what cost to AA and their reputation? That is so incredibly, unbelievably stupid. You shouldn't be buying from him just for that reason, that stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.

You heard George, he's King of the 914's. He'll do whatever he wants and we can go screw. Those aren't acceptable business practices to me. They may be to someone else. So there's no problem. You continue to buy from AA, I won't. No muss, no fuss, simple. Done.
DBCooper
Done.

One more time. Done.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2009, 02:55 PM) *

Done.

One more time. Done.

Oh good...
SLITS
No it isn't. We can start another thread. Thank you Ahandie.
dw914er
maybe can we get someone to do a stand up before the next thread... maybe Jerry himself?
scotty b
A : hire a new staff that is capable of correctly completing an order = Extra pay = no GT40 for King George

B : revamp the website to make it user friendly = more money = no GT40 for King George

C : charge a competitive rate for products = less income = no GT40 for King George

you guys have NO business sense do you ??
r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2009, 05:51 PM) *

Good one. A Georgia trailer park? Really. You ought to start a "Pelican Sucks" thread to test your theory and see what the common experience is. I'll bet yours is the exception, not the rule. Do it, let's find out. It may illustrate why AA threads pop up so regularly while complaints about other suppliers don't. Something to do with shared experiences.

Could be, but to judge from the dozens of threads I've seen over the years the chances are pretty slim. I go out of my way to help out new people, so they don't step in the same crap holes I did. That's what civilization is about, building on the experiences of others. They don't HAVE to take your advice, but to not give it at all is an unquestionable misservice.

No, he didn't. The buyer got an order confirmation for that price, and THAT is what George said he was going to do. Fulfill that order. At that price. In writing. That's a contract. If he didn't have the part in stock he should NEVER confirm the order. That's a mistake, and one he's been making for years without any effort to correct. But mistake or not, once an order's confirmed there's an obligation to deliver. So he decided for whatever reason that he didn't want to fill it and saved himself five bucks or whatever. At what cost to AA and their reputation? That is so incredibly, unbelievably stupid. You shouldn't be buying from him just for that reason, that stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.

You heard George, he's King of the 914's. He'll do whatever he wants and we can go screw. Those aren't acceptable business practices to me. They may be to someone else. So there's no problem. You continue to buy from AA, I won't. No muss, no fuss, simple. Done.

Damn this thread got long...

An order confirmation is just that. Its not a contract until the CC is charged.
If that happened, and then it was refunded, the implied contract is void.
This type of transaction and the refund etc happen all day long all over the internet.

Sir Andy would be my first choice to hire for a programmer..hes aces.

As far as George being King of the 914...well George...Bite me.
I say that with a smile and a beer in my hand.
I get Georges sense of humor, he is an old yankee that moved south a while back.
He does love these little cars.

And BTW George...my 914 is not your, never was, and never will be...its mine mine mine...all of them.
Unless you wanna trade for the GT40...then you can have all of them...I wont blink.

Rich
MoveQik
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 26 2009, 03:22 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Funny....I have bought very little in parts from him but he recognizes my voice when I call his shop. Nothing but great info and great service. Its a crazy world.
ericread
OK, I may be a bit anal, but whenever I go to purchase a substantial dollar amount of 914 parts, I create a worksheet that lists the parts, and compare pricing out AA, Pelican and whatever other vendors of which I have knowledge. When I know I can, I use the vendor's website for pricing. For AA I give them a call. ALl things being equal, I buy from the vendor with the best price/shipping/prior experience. Sometimes it's AA, sometimes it's not.

Obviously I only use known vendors of which I have had good experiences. Life is too short to do business with somene that I know to be a PIA!

I have kept all of these comparisons in monthly tabs of a master worksheet for the past three years. AA doesn't always come out on top, but I have purchased several thousand dollars of parts from them, and I am not dissapointed with these purchases one bit.

My suggestion; If you don't like AA, don't do business with them. The same applies with Pelican, HPH, etc. And from some of the posts in this thread, it appearrs that George would actually be ahead with not doing business with some of you. If you don't like/respect someone, stop associating with that person. It'll make your life and the life of the vendor much better...

BTW: I just received my AA sale parts this morning! Everything was in the box and I saved 20% aktion035.gif

Yeah, I guess I'll continue to do business with George... lol3.gif

DBCooper
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 27 2009, 12:31 PM) *

My suggestion; If you don't like AA, don't do business with them.

It'll make your life and the life of the vendor much better...

Yeah, definitely anal, but Great advice! I stopped dealing with AA about ten years ago, and you're right, things have been better ever since! It's bliss baby! Oh, that's right, I got divorced about that same time, which might have had something to do with that... aktion035.gif

Actually the only time this subject comes up in the forums is when somebody new gets his dick caught in the AA wringer and posts because he's angry or wants some sympathy. Then the whole chorus pipes up again, and la la la...

I agree, it gets old. Unfortunately it keeps happening, coming back, just like that goddamned rash... so what are the alternatives? Three that I can think of:

1. If you don't like threads where people bitch about AA then just don't read them!
2. Make a rule: "NEWBIES!! Don't complain about AA!!!". Or maybe:
3. Have George improve his customer service.

Yeah, they're logical enough, but I have to agree with you, people will bitch, ignore rules, and George thinks he's King. Oh well, looks like this one's dead.

So what do you think, Bone Stock vs. Big Four vs. Six vs. Subaru?
ericread
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 27 2009, 01:04 PM) *

So what do you think, Bone Stock vs. Big Four vs. Six vs. Subaru?

Damn!!! Now you're really asking for trouble!!! lol-2.gif

Besides, you forgot V-8!!! stirthepot.gif

Eric

6freak
no one else buy parts from AA so when i need something it will always be there.. biggrin.gif
bryanf
whine, whine, whine...I read the rules, ordered the parts, received them in a timely way and enjoyed the 20% discount...Thanks George!
tradisrad
I ordered some parts during his sale. when the parts came it was missing one item. The sales order had all 0's for that item. So after reading thread this I can assume that I need to re-order the item as it has been canceled. It would have been nice to know that before reading it here.
I ordered a new jack post and mount as well as some other stuff. I was bummed to find that the jack support and post are made in Taiwan.

bryanf, you're just over the hill from me. I live off of Bunker Hill Dr @ 280..
736conver
I was bummed to find that the jack support and post are made in Taiwan.

Off topic start

Thats where alot of parts are coming from, overseas. I betcha those new lenses he has are coming from China. Not saying its bad thats just the way companies do business. Keeps the costs down.

But buyer beware. There was an article in the one of my magazines, maybe autoweek, about quality of these parts. Windshield that are not using saftey glass. Cheap bolts etc etc. I believe they told a story of someone dying due to an aftermarket bolt breaking.

Off topic end
Jason.H
The truth about all this!

So here it is, the no b.s. truth about all of this. For those curious I don't have "permission" to post here and George has no idea I'm doing this. To be blunt, screw the repercussions. I'm going to get wordy with it so don't skip the fine print.

For those of you that don't know me my name is Jason Humphrey. In some way I have a hand in just about everything that happens at AA; markup, acquisition, technology, etc. You name it and at some level it has my name on it. Obviously I'm more proud of some areas of that than others.

I can't speak for George, he's...mmm...speaking for himself. Not sure how you want to read this so I'll just list the complaints and details from what I've seen in this thread. Let me start with one that's more of an undertone:

1. AA employees are jerks!
Those of you that know George may very well know him better than I do so for the sake of this discussion we'll leave him out of it. I have known him maybe 4 years, I saw a post earlier that mentioned 10 years...you win.

The fact is the employees at AA do honestly and sincerely care. There have been points where a customer would complain about delayed shipping and we would ask for the cost of next-day shipping to be taken out of our checks. No crap. A good chunk of those of you that dealt with Mclean on delayed orders got rushed shipping out of his paycheck. Those of you prepping the pitch forks for George, don't. I don't believe he ever knew we did it, it was "just take it out of my check and get it out the door." Of course this is the first time it has been said publicly but obviously that's not the kind of thing we openly share.

We're not a bunch of evil people on the other end of the phone, we're consumers just like you. We know how much it can.. well... suck dealing with us. We actively look for ways to improve but we're limited in ways I won't go into here.

If one of us sounds short with you there's likely a reason beyond our perceived hatred for you. With only 2 full time salesmen it can get hectic. I'm not going to make excuses for everyone; Charlie is about 104 years old and probably not very enthusiastic at any point in the day, but he certainly cares a heck of a lot about you.

2. 20% off in-stock, then you don't have it in-stock. WTF??

Yeah, this is tricky. The truth is we have absolutely no inventory tracking. Unless someone actually sees it sitting on a shelf we have no way of knowing what is in stock. Terrible I know, but the way we're setup doesn't really allow for it.

That fact is one reason I cry over these 20% off in-stock sales. Those that have known us for a while know this isn't our first but frankly I hope it's our last. It's a headache but George absolutely loves it.

So why are you sometimes told it's in stock only to find out later that it's not? We literally ship hundreds of packages a day and the vast majority of you order the same 1000 or so parts. Charlie isn't lying to you, he probably did see it on the shelf but by the time your order makes it to be picked the part is gone. I have watched it and he's right more often than not, but when he ends up wrong people are rightfully vocal about it. I'll bring up that we should make it an enforced policy to say we don't know. I always say that but if pressed I'll look at how quickly we have shipped previous orders for the same part and give you a "likely" response. I'm sorry that's all we have for you.

3. You didn't sell all that stuff at a loss, you would go out of business!

As sad as it is we really did sell everything near or at a loss. I crunched the numbers before the sale and put up a good argument about throwing money away, seeing as we're a business and all, but was shot down from every angle. Some employees didn't even want to participate because of it. This wasn't a special year it has been like this every 20% off sale. George writes it off as a marketing expense, albeit an exceedingly expensive one.

Business owners here know that the markup on a product is only part of the equation. Those that have tried to calculate our markup then subtract 20% are leaving out a huge chunk of costs. We have a big building, plenty of employees and a dozen other costs that come out of that markup. The markup = profit that people use when selling stuff out of their basement on ebay just doesn't work for a full business.

Oh and one more note: I noticed someone posted a comparison of one of our parts with PP. The issue with that is it looks like you were quoting a Genuine part from us and an aftermarket part from PP. For those that don't know, if the part number starts with "G" it's Genuine Porsche and will be the most expensive. "R" is aftermarket/OEM (much of the cheap parts on PP), "U" is used, and "B" is rebuilt or our own reproduction piece. Unless I'm missing something then if the PP part ends with -OEM you should compare it to our "R" part if we have one available.

4. Your website sucks! I can't find anything and it was made in 1994!

Yes it does and it was! Wow it's terrible. This is what now takes up the majority of my job at AA. I have almost 17 years in tech and my first day at AA was like hoping for a GT2 and getting a box of dirt.

The fact is the technology we have been running on for years would stumble to load youtube. It's terrible and it's not that we don't know it, I'm working extremely hard at replacing it all. I can't do much with the infrastructure that's there now, it all has to be ripped out, so don't expect what you see now to be polished much more. BUT! There is good news in all this, I have a site mostly finished with all the bells and whistles you have come to expect from other sites. You can login and check your order in real-time, ask questions directly to customer service, modify or cancel orders...all the good stuff.

So why did it go like this for so long? Well George is rather frugal with his technology spending and Greg (the guy before me) was a designer and didn't seem interested much in the technology behind it all. For a few years I did what I could to whip the mule but I had to split my time between a dozen other tasks.

So why isn't it up yet? I'm not entirely sure George knows how much you guys really want it. Heck, maybe I'm the one that's wrong and nobody really cares. But if you do care then feel free to email him and tell him you want it!

Here are a few screenshots of what I'm building:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

So I think that should sum it up and get me fired. I'm not here to argue with anyone nor am I trying to portray AA as the perfect company. This is just the facts behind it all.
ericread
Thanks Jason. However, no matter how well the website comes out, I'll still call. I just enjoy speaking with the staff.

Eric Read
klink
You know we have been in kind of an anti- auto atlanta bashing mode for a long time. I think everyone just wanted to give it a rest. So it seems it's game on so here it is. I have ordered parts from Auto Atlanta......It was a horrible experience.....I will never deal with them again...They did not send all the parts for the five lug conversion so they had to send the rest later. They sent the wrong rear wheel bearing and then they sent the wrong wheel bearing again twice, charged me for them all and charged me for shipping. Were talking about around a hundred and fifty dollars. They finally sent me the right wheel bearing and it was a complete nightmare to get them to refund the money for the wrong wheel bearing....it took about four months. I still ate the shipping for their mistake. I have held my tongue long enough...If you are a buyer you better beware...I know they have tried to make things right lately but I really don't think you are going to change somebody that easily. If that's the only place I can get something I will do without. We have great suppliers (i.e. Pelican) and others, why would we put up with this. I was newly reintroduced into the 914 world and didn't know any better. Don't let this happen to you.
biosurfer1
Jason's is the first post I have seen in all my years on the 914 boards thats a step in the right direction for AA in my opinion.

Its amazing to me how much better the "yes, we have problems and here's why and what we are doing to fix it" attitude is rather than the " F all of you, I'm the king and don't give a crap if you dont like it"
dw914er
well put Jason.

I like the snapshots... ill be lurking on the AA site when its updated
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 27 2009, 10:45 PM) *

Jason's is the first post I have seen in all my years on the 914 boards thats a step in the right direction for AA in my opinion.

Its amazing to me how much better the "yes, we have problems and here's why and what we are doing to fix it" attitude is rather than the " F all of you, I'm the king and don't give a crap if you dont like it"

agree.gif beerchug.gif
mbrown3039
After reading Jason's post -- and because I've owned a few businesses with varying levels of success -- I'll say this: if you don't like AA, don't worry -- Geaorge will either be out of business soon (IMO based solely on Jason's description of the day-to-day) or, whe he passes, no one will want AA because no one will be able to put a positive value on it.

He's definitely running it like a hobby with no growth or customer retention plans. But, hey, this is America -- to each his own! Mike
DBCooper
I run businesses for other people and do turnarounds, and am in total agreement. A gold mine, pissed away.

Jason, thanks. I'm so impressed that y'all would take money out of your own pockets to make the customer happy. The problem is that you recognized the need and did something about it, but your boss has seen exactly the same thing for ten years (or more) and hasn't bothered. That doesn't bode well for the future. Hopefully he'll will gain some insight from this, which would be the best outcome. Unfortunately as folks here have noted, these "AA Sucks" threads have appeared regularly for years on every board, and George has never gotten the message. So don't hold your breath.

Web shots look great. Can't wait.
scotty b
QUOTE(mbrown3039 @ Feb 28 2009, 12:47 AM) *

After reading Jason's post -- and because I've owned a few businesses with varying levels of success -- I'll say this: if you don't like AA, don't worry -- Geaorge will either be out of business soon (IMO based solely on Jason's description of the day-to-day) or, whe he passes, no one will want AA because no one will be able to put a positive value on it.

He's definitely running it like a hobby with no growth or customer retention plans. But, hey, this is America -- to each his own! Mike

Unfortunately you're wrong. AA has been in business for over 20 confused24.gif years and has ALWAYS had these same issues. There have been several " attempts " and cleaning things up, all of which failed. Until George gets rid of the I want for me attitude and gets the " what is best for my company " attitude it will never change. How many times could that website have been revamped with the money spent on that GT40 ??? How many times could the inventory been catalog and computerized with the money spent on that GT40 ??? I'm also guessing Mr Hussey has a house comperable to that GT40. Why do I keep bringing up the GT 40 ?? Because George himself started his obnoxiousness by bragging about it.

AA will never fail, either George has money to help keep it afloat or has some backers with money to help keep it afloat. I stopped ordering from them several years ago out of the frustration of recieving wrong parts, partts I hadn't orderd, week loong shipping from Ga to Va etc. I did however give them another chance with the intitial group flare buy. I was impressed, hell I even took my negative comment about them in my sig line and changed it to a moderately negative one laugh.gif I won't say I will never order from them again BUT it won't be very often.

to Jason, thnak you for your effort and seeming dedication, I just hope for YOUR sake it is worth it in the long run. And yes the screenshots look great beerchug.gif
HCRDAN
Wow... Nothing like watching someone commit commercial suicide.

I've been watching this thread and holding back from sharing my own experience because it would just be piling on. Jason's comment is what enticed me to come out of lurk mode.

1) Jason, your post took courage. Your apparent concern for customer satisfaction, initiative in creating a new website despite what appear to be other limiting factors and the courage you demonstrated in posting and the loyalty you demonstrated to your employer all should be commended. Not only do you deserve to keep your job, if you worked for me, I'd give you a raise and a promotion.

2) No business is perfect. Everyone has at one time or another been disappointed in a business transaction. Sometimes the customer is right and sometimes the business is right. The true mark of a good business is how they recover from having disappointed a customer. Declaring yourself “king” of all 914s Porsches, is probably not the most endearing and effective way to address a customer’s complaint regardless of who is right. Mr. Hussey, there are so many ways you could have deflated this thread long ago. Next time, may I suggest the following reply or a version thereof?

“I’m terribly sorry we disappointed you. Our terms for the sale were “items in stock only” and thus we are not able to honor the sale price for the item you ordered. However, we hate seeing our customers disappointed so we will evaluate how we can prevent similar miscommunications from arising in the future and thank you for considering us as a source of 914 parts in the first place. I’ll do my best to not disappoint you in the future. I am enclosing a coupon for free shipping on your next order with our company.”

3) Following through and evaluating your processes to eliminate potential sources of complaints would be a good move as well. Even if the confirmation email is just an automated response, editing the text either permanently or for the day of the sale with a bold notice stating that “this email is an automated notification that we have received your order. However, it is possible that we do not have some or all of the items in inventory and therefore will not be able to honor the price for items that are presently out of stock. Due to the large volume of order related to this sale, we apologize that we are unable to contact you if that is the case. However, if you have not received your order within 10 days, please call us to confirm status at xxx-xxx-xxxx”.

4) I suggest you make some edits to your email confirmation anyhow, even not during sale periods. My one transaction with AA was quite similar to the theme of the original post. I was looking for a horn ring for the teener and posted a question on this site. Someone pointed me toward the AA catalog and I went online and placed the order for $25 part. I promptly received an email confirmation. That was oh… early December 2008? I’m still waiting for the part. The teener is sitting in the garage waiting for me to do something about it so I can get it inspected but it’s been a low priority. I even keep telling myself that I should check to make sure they did not charge my card. I don’t think that is the case as I don’t get the sense they are dishonest, just disorganized.

5) I’ve been around 911s for some time but I am relatively new to 914s and to this forum. AA’s reputation goes well beyond this site. I first heard of AA years ago from a 911 thread and the theme was remarkably similar. The reputation carried over to an ebay auction for a 904 replica AA was selling recently and comments on various sites concerning that car dealt as much with AA's reputation as with the car itself.

6) Jason, as nice as your new site looks, my recommendation is that you should focus on some sort of inventory tracking system/process. Without it, your new site will likely lead to the same disappointments. At the risk of sounding like an a** myself, good inventory control is fundamental to any retail/wholesale operation. Your banker wants to know; your insurance agent wants to know; and the revenue man want to know the value of your inventory. Your purchasing manager wants to know what is selling and how often it turns, and your customers want to know if the part is in stock or not. Good communications and customer relations are not far behind

7) Like many of you here, I have either run or managed businesses. Sometimes on my own, sometimes publicly traded companies, sometimes owned by an arrogant ass, sometimes by kind, generous, and caring individuals. That’s the way they were born, pretty hard to change ‘em.

It’s a shame.

736conver
Anybody remember the last time another AA employee posted how things were going to change.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 28 2009, 10:24 AM) *

Anybody remember the last time another AA employee posted how things were going to change.

Sure, he left and tried to start his own company using the "better business practices" you guys fault AA for and no one has heard from him in a while...
736conver
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 28 2009, 12:39 PM) *

Sure, he left and tried to start his own company using the "better business practices" you guys fault AA for and no one has heard from him in a while...

Nope wrong guy. It was the same guy that posted here, Jason.

Back in 2006 claimed change was on its way. Funny it all started over the same thing the 20% off sale.
Its here at page nine he starts
ConeDodger
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 28 2009, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 28 2009, 12:39 PM) *

Nope wrong guy. It was the same guy that posted here, Jason.

Back in 2006 claimed change was on its way. Funny it all started over the same thing the 20% off sale.
Its here at page nine he starts

I see that there was another in an endless cycle of bash AA threads. I see that Jason said there would be change. Are you so sure that change didn't take place? Change is generally an evolution not a revolution. I believe it was you who said they haven't bought anything from AA in what? 10 years? Why so passionate about something that you have apparently left behind?

As for those of you predicting the demise of AA due to bad business practice, I suspect that almost 30 years in business would contradict your claim... He seems pretty stable business wise.

I am not a regular and frequent AA customer. I have only talked to George once. I occasionally e-mail him and I am flattered that he remembers me and promptly answers my question. I have never found him to be arrogant or demeaning unlike the other "king" you guys are proclaiming. My objection to this thread is that it isn't fair. I have had the same problems with many suppliers, I bet I am not the only one. Why jump all over them. Man up and call them. If you put as much effort into getting what you want as you do into bashing the man and his company on the internet you would very probably have gotten what you want. If you bash him on the internet and then try to simultaneously get what you want I don't blame him for telling you to pound sand. Bottom line is work it out privately.

The original post was from a guy who didn't get what he ordered because it wasn't in stock. See post 10 in the thread announcing the sale. Asked and answered. If it isn't in stock the order will be cancelled. He had no call to post that. Those were the stated conditions. Yet here we are AGAIN going on for pages and pages bashing AA and George.

If you want to be treated like your business is important, be important. Posting crap on the internet is petty. I would tell you to pound sand too...

Have some integrity. Point your toes at George's toes and tell him your problem. Here you're just gathering a crowd to support your claim. I sure can't respect that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.