Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zaney's Suby Rustoration Adventure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Zaney
Thanks for checking in on me Dean smile.gif
However, the car will not be ready by WWC '11, even if I would be in town. I will be in Maui, for my sister-in-laws' wedding.

Quick question to Suby converts. Does the later stock Tach from the 914 work with the signal sent from the Suby ECU?

I found this quote the the Classics engine conversions thread:

Tachometer- Early (silver button) 914 tachometers will not register the stock Subaru ecu tach output signal. They can be modified to work with the addition of one resistor (search the forum). Later 914 tachometers should work fine. The basic 5" Autometer tach(~$100) will fit in place of the original tach and register correctly.

Can anyone confirm this? It would save me a bit of money right now until I can afford a new gauge makeover. I need to use the Tach in order to break in my Delta Cams.

Thanks!
Nate
sawtooth
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jun 15 2011, 02:23 PM) *

Thanks for checking in on me Dean smile.gif
However, the car will not be ready by WWC '11, even if I would be in town. I will be in Maui, for my sister-in-laws' wedding.

Quick question to Suby converts. Does the later stock Tach from the 914 work with the signal sent from the Suby ECU?

I found this quote the the Classics engine conversions thread:

Tachometer- Early (silver button) 914 tachometers will not register the stock Subaru ecu tach output signal. They can be modified to work with the addition of one resistor (search the forum). Later 914 tachometers should work fine. The basic 5" Autometer tach(~$100) will fit in place of the original tach and register correctly.

Can anyone confirm this? It would save me a bit of money right now until I can afford a new gauge makeover. I need to use the Tach in order to break in my Delta Cams.

Thanks!
Nate

Bummer, I was hoping see your car and have 3 suby trans conversions there. Next year then. Maui will be an ok alternative to WCR I suppose, have a great trip!

Zaney
Been awhile since I last posted and saw a bit of progress but, not enough to get me on the road in time for the Edmonds Teener Picnic. Next year for sure! sad.gif

Got the engine mechanical and electrical gremlins resolved:
-Time belts are a pain in the butt!
-Grounds are really important, especially the trans to the body!@
-Wrapped and unwrapped the harness about 3 times...
-Still need to get a cleaner adaptor between 914 and Suby accellerator cables
-Initially bought the wrong length Bus axles (too long) realized they were from a Vanagon and not a Baywindow bus. Traded for the correct length! Fits like a glove with the Porscharu adapters!
-Now I need to get the front alignment close enough to drive it to the shop.

beerchug.gif And now for the pics!

Engine and modified stock engine harness with new Odyessy Battery
Click to view attachment

Correct length VW Bus axles between Magic Flanges and 944CV's with the cable shifter installed
Click to view attachment
Zaney
Getting ready to mount the harness for each of the seats
Click to view attachment

Shifter mounted in the cockpit
Click to view attachment

Stock ECU and wiring harness ready to be secured in the trunk
Click to view attachment

Still need to polish the chrome but the red brakes with the Phoenix Wheels look good! aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment

Radiator hoses secured and mounted
Click to view attachment
messix
nice work
Zaney
Here is the moment of truth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfR0rISZyPU

Mr.242
Nice....too bad it wasn't at the BBQ. You the man!
strawman
Attaboy Nate! I'm getting closer to starting my Suby conversion; seeing yours run will give me some needed inspiration!
JRust
Nice! Love seeing the first start! Way to go man but get some headers on that bad boy piratenanner.gif
BIGKAT_83
Looks really nice. You have done alot of work with everything not just the conversion, The cover in the trunk came out great.

aktion035.gif

Bob
Zaney
Thanks for all the kind words!
I am hoping to wrap up some of the loose ends and get this thing on the road before too long! That's it for now, going to the San Juan Islands for a quick getaway!

Cheers!

beer.gif
Nate

Porcharu
QUOTE(Zaney @ Aug 27 2011, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks for all the kind words!
I am hoping to wrap up some of the loose ends and get this thing on the road before too long! That's it for now, going to the San Juan Islands for a quick getaway!

Cheers!

beer.gif
Nate

Great work Nate. You are doing just fine on the fab stuff - don't sell your self short!!!! Can't wait to so the finished project.
Steve
EdwardBlume
Nice work! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
sawtooth
Wow Nate, nice to hear that suby fire up. Building your own modified stock harness is no small task. Great work! You will love the way that motor/trans combo makes a 914 feel.
jpnovak
Nice work. I started mine a few weeks ago as well.

How have you connected the hydraulic clutch on the Suby transmission?
Zaney
Time to do some updating...

So, this past Fall I was on the path of getting this Teener on the road but...
After a few test drives around the block I pulled into the driveway and noticed a trail of oil following me to a pool forming under my car. I wanted to push the POS out into the street and light it on fire headbang.gif

Instead, I turned it around and backed it into the garage and prepped the car for engine removal. sad.gif

I tore it down to the rear main seal behind the flywheel and found that I had installed the prior incorrectly. So, I went to the dealer and got a new one and researched how to install it properly. Got it done in a long day and put it back in the car.

Then, throughout the following months I went through the 914 wiring and tried to weed out any bugs. I have everything ironed out except, that I can not have my headlights on and have the turn signals flash.

Now, I borrowed the HOT wire engine bay fuse panel idea and replaced my future car fire with a safe boat water resistant fuse box.

I have to expand my rear wheel wells by about 1/2 inch or so in order to make the 16x7 inch tires fit. My question is should I hammer and dolly the fenders or roll them with the "baseball bat" technique? I am pre-paint so that is not an issue to me right now.

Then, I am off to the alignment shop to dial in the suspension!

Here are the pics!

Click to view attachment
Blue Sea fuse panel

Click to view attachment
Cleaned up

Zaney
Click to view attachment

My novice body work on the passenger fender.

Zaney
Click to view attachment

I am going to use these Audi markers behind the front fender well to help prevent me from getting T-Boned.
Zaney
Click to view attachment

Here is where I am with the rear fenders before the stretch!

Input is welcomed idea.gif

a914622
bat roll it! My 16x7 fit under the rear. I do plan on lifting about a 1/2-1 inch. I like the not slamed look.

Nice work. If you are looking for a header Call or stop by Stan's header down in Auburn. He is making vanagon/2.5 headers. It could be run on the 914s

jcl
Zaney
So, I decided to go the CSOB route with the stretching of the rear fenders. Since the weather here in the PNW is still rainy and crappy bs.gif I am using the John Kelly method of flaring my rear fenders.

I contacted John Kelly about his DVD and info about his planishing hammer. It turns out that his hammer was for sale! So, I picked up the DVD and a planishing hammer!! smash.gif

I am trying to contact Zach, the owner of the 914 in the video, to get some better photos of the rear flares in order to get a good idea of what I am doing.

Here are some pics of the experiment!
Click to view attachment

Stripped the paint and traced out some fluid lines in order to make a good looking flare!

Click to view attachment

Stretching and smoothing! Slowly!

Click to view attachment
Made by the man himself, John Kelly!
Now in the hands of a novice smash.gif

To be continued...
jmmotorsports
If you want to sell the planishing hammer when you are finished with it, I am interested.

Jerry
914werke
Very Cool Nate LMK if you touch base w/Zach, I've often wondered what happened to that car. The flares on his car are the BOMB!
I still have the set of flares that John created "in" that video, hanging on my wall.
Mr.242
HURRY...July 5th we start our summer weather. need to have that car out and running around!
76-914
Is John Kelly the guy that did that amazing Gull Wing Karmann Ghia? Another metal wizard in your state is Kent White. I love watching these guys create. Your planishing hammer is cool. Is that a Chicago 4x Rivet gun? That head looks like a counter sunk rivet set, too. Looks like genius to me. beerchug.gif
Zaney
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 26 2012, 08:49 PM) *

Is John Kelly the guy that did that amazing Gull Wing Karmann Ghia? Another metal wizard in your state is Kent White. I love watching these guys create. Your planishing hammer is cool. Is that a Chicago 4x Rivet gun? That head looks like a counter sunk rivet set, too. Looks like genius to me. beerchug.gif

Yes, it is the same metal craftsman from Ghia Specialties I believe he made the hammer frame and used a rivet gun body. The dies for the inside are homemade as well, I believe. Either way, I am now a metal shaping fan! I want to get more equipment in the future (ie. english wheel and dies) It is fun and gives me that Kustom Hot Rod flavor to instill on my Teener, definately similar to a 356 Outlaw! Or at least after a few pints! beer3.gif

Rich - I will share the pics of Zach's car in the thread if I can. I believe he still has it. I work with his brother-in-law at the Fire dept. and he gave me Zach's e-mail.
PS> here is a pic from the GS website
Click to view attachment

Wish me luck on finishing the drivers fender in the next few days! smash.gif screwy.gif

Cheers!
Nate beer.gif
rhodyguy
you've developed some mad skills nate. a far cry from the beginning picking up a used trans at emerald downs.

k

Zaney
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 27 2012, 06:36 AM) *

you've developed some mad skills nate. a far cry from the beginning picking up a used trans at emerald downs.

k

Thanks Kevin!

I figured that this Teener is a great way to develop some Man Skillz! I wasn't as interested in all the Tinkering that my Grandfather did when I was younger but, now that he is gone I want to continue the tradition. Of course, it helped that he was a machinist. I am now developing an affinity for Hand-made art and cars! driving.gif

More for me in the future! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Nate
Zaney
Started on the fender today and made some good progress piratenanner.gif

Now I am waiting on the shrinking disc and slapping spoon to come in the mail.

Here are some pics:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

More to come!

Cheers,
Nate beerchug.gif
914werke
invest in ear plugs!
boogie_man
Wow !!! that's some great workmanship right there. Keep those pix coming please...... pray.gif
rhodyguy
john's flairs are so subtle. you going to shoot the car yourself?

k
Zaney
I might have an opportunity to purchase a good spray gun with with my father-in-law and in doing so, have access to knowledge about paint. He has friends that own a auto paint store in Longview, WA.

If I can smooth out all the panels in bare metal form I even thought about polishing them up and just clear coating them blink.gif Kind of like the Anklebiter. Then, leaving the hoods and roof in paint. (or maybe Carbon Fiber in the Future???)
Click to view attachment

If not, then all stock Metallic Silver with Phoenix Red wheels and rockers & valences.
A Silversickle!

A guy has to dream shades.gif

Cheers,
Nate beer.gif
BIGKAT_83
Very impressed, first.gif

You have any idea how long it took to get this far? You must be working on them 24hrs a day,

Bob
Zaney
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 29 2012, 09:17 AM) *

Very impressed, first.gif

You have any idea how long it took to get this far? You must be working on them 24hrs a day,

Bob

I have only worked on the driver's rear fender and have about 4 hours into it including sanding it down to metal. I started to use a palm nailer and sand-filled purse but I found a ball peen hammer gives me more control. Then, followed up with the planishing hammer and hand dollys. All wearing good hearing protection for sure!

I am waiting for a shrinking disc and body slapping spoon to come in the mail. These will help do the fine tweeking and finish work. Then, I will sand off all the filler on the passenger rear fender and start pounding away!

I am still undecided about the front. My wheels fit but I love the look and it gives room for wider 8" tires in the future.

Eirther way, it is fun work! smash.gif You see instant results! Just don't try and skip steps.

Nate beerchug.gif
ruby914
Nice work Zaney,
I always think of my WRX car as a never ending school project. Looks like you are taking the body work class now.
After I put the flares on my car I spent sooooo much time taping and shrinking. After seeing others "no filler work", I thought, I would never be happy with my work.
Your work looks great. Your next challenge will be getting the passenger side and the drivers side the same. You may need to make some templates.
popcorn[1].gif
3d914
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jun 28 2012, 03:10 PM) *

Started on the fender today and made some good progress piratenanner.gif

Now I am waiting on the shrinking disc and slapping spoon to come in the mail.

Here are some pics:

Click to view attachment

Nice work. I like round rears - especially on the 914.
Zaney
Ok, had a bit of time these past SUNNY days to work on the passenger side rear. Boy, what a mess! barf.gif Up to 1/2 inch of filler applied to an oil can dent (by me blink.gif ) was ground out. Got the entire side exposed in bare metal and traced my template and made some landmarks.

Sorry no pics of the mud but trust me, it would not let a magnet stick chair.gif

My biggest problem is working around the welded seams of my panel repair to the inner long. I eventually had to cut out some thin spots and I am waiting for another free day to tidy it up. However, I did make some good headway on the flare itself! I just need to mirror them better when I get the slapping spoon and shrinking disc this week!
So, here are the pics!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Using a aluminum angle piece for the mold of the flare
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Hard to match the profile but close!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Damaged panel mapped out for repair!

Click to view attachment
Little patches to blend in~!

Click to view attachment

That is it for now!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Nate
Zaney
Got some things done today. Welded in the small patches, carefully! welder.gif
And put the car on the ground to compare the flares. I will probably stretch the drivers side a bit more to match the passenger side. I really like the more aggressive flare than the more subtle one. I probably made them big enough for 8 inch tires but, that works for me too! driving.gif

Just waiting for the finishing tools to arrive sat my door so I can smooth out the lumps and small oil cans.

Click to view attachment

Repairs made but still lumpy for now.
Zaney
Drivers side (still needs some stretching)
Click to view attachment

Passenger side (still needs a bit more massaging)
Click to view attachment

More later! beerchug.gif

Nate
Zaney
Been trying to work on the fenders with the slapping spoon and the 4 inch SS shrinking disc that I bought from here.

Click to view attachment

I am working on a section at a time by shading the fender with a Magnum 44 marker and then block sanding off the ink, just like you do for paint prep.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then, all the low spots will be left to bump up and then, slapped down flat.
Zaney
Sorry for the I phone pics but you can get an idea. Better final pics when I am closer to being done.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Zaney
Plus, I am trying to resolve an alternator charging issue and exhaust leak in order to have the car driving smoothly and reliably.

Click to view attachment

Last pics for now.
Cheers,
Nate beerchug.gif
Zaney
Ok, it is running!!!! piratenanner.gif

I finally got the Suby OBDII codes sorted out and drove the teener over to Redmond European to get the fuel system safety checked, corner balanced, and the suspension set up!

Now, all that is left is: finish the interior, french in the Passat marker lights, finish blending the flares, and prep for paint!

It was sunny and dry today so I took it for a spin!! Man, does this Teener RAWK!! Second and third gear really pull!!! On ramps are now my guilty pleasure! driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Oh ya!
Zaney
Video

Cheers!!!
beerchug.gif
strawman
YES!!! I've been following your conversion, which has provided me with some needed inspiration for my Suby teener. Keep up the great work!

Geoff
DBCooper
QUOTE(Zaney @ Nov 15 2012, 07:54 PM) *

It was sunny and dry today so I took it for a spin!! Man, does this Teener RAWK!! Second and third gear really pull!!! On ramps are now my guilty pleasure!

"RAWK"? I'm assuming that's good? So how does it shift? That transformed my car, though I'll sure never turn down more horsepower.
914werke
Nice Nate you went to town on the R. qtrs.!!
How much did Johns planishing hammer help?
ruby914
Zaney,
Your body work looks great!
That's a lot of work. How's your neck?
Just the little clean-up work that I did on my car gave me a pain in the neck.
Congratulations for your first drive, I know that feels good. beerchug.gif

Mike.
Zaney
"RAWK"? I'm assuming that's good? So how does it shift? That transformed my car, though I'll sure never turn down more horsepower.

biggrin.gif I guess my youthful excitement and years of playing guitar came out! Yes, it shifts better than the 901 but I might look into Ian's (IM101) Suby shifting mechanism when he completes it. Or I might just need to drive it more?

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 15 2012, 09:52 PM) *

Nice Nate you went to town on the R. qtrs.!!
How much did Johns planishing hammer help?

Thanks Rich! John's planishing hammer was the KEY to having the fenders turn out this well! Without it, I would still be hammering away! Also, having a shrinking disc made the fine tuning a lot easier.
Since then, I have discovered the world of metal working and Kent White

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Nov 16 2012, 12:56 AM) *

Zaney,
Your body work looks great!
That's a lot of work. How's your neck?
Just the little clean-up work that I did on my car gave me a pain in the neck.
Congratulations for your first drive, I know that feels good. beerchug.gif

Mike.

My neck wasn't the problem it was my wrists! After I found a comfortable working position, everything became a lot easier. I think once I was comfortable 'hitting blind' I could control the amount of "stretch" with the palm nailer/carriage bolt technique

Now the PNW weather has almost confined this 'sunny day car' to my garage but that allows me to finish the cosmetics and get it ready for paint in the Spring. And, hopefully drive it down to WCC '13!!! beer.gif Hopefully be one of many Suby Teeners to debut stirthepot.gif

Cheers,
Nate beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.