Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zaney's Suby Rustoration Adventure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
strawman
QUOTE(Zaney @ Mar 7 2010, 07:38 PM) *

I can't seem to remove the stubborn crankshaft pulley 22mm bolt. A little overnight Aerocoil and maybe an impact wrench will get it off. I plan on replacing the stock pulley with a lightened one.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome to remove the frozen bolt.! smash.gif

Cheers!
Nate

Hi Nate --

An impact gun has always worked for me on all of my Suby engines. It is torqued to only something like 76 ft/lbs (don't have my manual in front of me), so I'm surprised you're having trouble with it. Maybe your impact gun isn't strong enough? The crap one that came with my old Craftsman air compressor was useless; I bought an Ingersoll Rand that is lighter and much burlier.

Good luck, and keep up the great work!

Geoff
Zaney
Geoff,
I believe that you are correct! "You get what you pay for," is exactly what the $19.99 Impact gun from Harbor Freight is about. I think I can borrow one in the short term that has a little more zip!

I am going to strip it down to a shortblock and take the cams down to Tacoma and have Delta Cams put their street grind on them for about $150 or so.

Wish me luck! smash.gif
Zaney
So after celebrating my daughter's 1st Birthday birthday3.gif Sydney, I thought I would give an UPDATE beerchug.gif

I stripped the Suby down to a short block and gave it the once over!
- New gaskets, new water pump, new time belt and pulleys, new Delta Cams (1000 grind), valves reseated and rockers gapped, and the cylinder heads were cleaned up, gasket matched, and polished up! smilie_pokal.gif

- The intake and TB were cleaned up and polished a bit too. I will eventually paint the intake either STi red or Chevy red-orange idea.gif

- The rear trunk/firewall area is stripped, cleaned, Metal-Readied, and awaiting Fabrication! I am trying to find access to a bead roller to attempt the stock 'buttresses' in the new panel. I am also following Steve's (Porschru) lead on the bracing in that area with 1 inch square tubing.

- I copied the engine bar design from Geoff (Strawman).

- Finally, I picked up an early MR2 shifter for a great deal on evilbay!

On to the Pics!!!

Click to view attachment
Short block cleaned up
Click to view attachment
Cylinder heads awaiting tear down.

Zaney
Drove down to Tacoma where I stopped by Delta Cams and picked up some 1000 grinds after giving them my cores.
Click to view attachment

Spent many hours staying up reading DIY threads about port matching and gasket matching cylinder heads. So, I thought what the hell stirthepot.gif
Click to view attachment

Intake side
Zaney
Exhaust side

Click to view attachment

Longblock assembled after reading over the Suby Tech Manual for awhile...
Click to view attachment
Zaney
Throttle body cleaned up using a homemade soda-blaster siphon gun!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Zaney
Strawman version of the Suby engine mount bar. Inspired from S. Thatcher and Tony!
Click to view attachment

MR2 Shifter ready to be cleaned up and mocked up!
Click to view attachment
Zaney
Rear firewall trunk area cleaned up and ready to be sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif !!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Zaney
Next step after the firewall is fabbed up is to locate the final resting position for the powerplant and make the tranny mount.

Also, sort out the FI mess chair.gif
Click to view attachment

Chime in if you see me missing a step or forgetting something! Thanks in advance!!

beerchug.gif Nate
strawman
Lookin' good! beer3.gif

You might want to seam weld the shock towers "while you're in there" -- prior to cutting/welding up the "turbo/starter/clutch release arm" box in the rear trunk. From everything I've read here, using significantly higher-rate-than-stock rear springs could tear the towers loose. If you're using the same U-bar mounting system on the upper longs that I did, you might also wanna tie-in the upper longs to the shock towers on the engine bay side of things while welding in those mounts.

Your progress is shaming me into providing an update on my project... keep up the great work!!! beerchug.gif
Zaney
Thought I would listen to Geoff's advice and tighten up the welds in the trunk and the rear firewall before I cut into it.

Took about 3 hours of patiently seam welding and air quenching but it turned out alright. I ground off some of the high spots and the area between the strut towers for the new 'boxed out' firewall.

Then, measured and remeasured the trunk and... sawzall-smiley.gif

Here are some pics to survey the surgery biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Seam welded trunk

Click to view attachment
Got the firewall strut tower joint welded up
Zaney
Click to view attachment
tied all the gusset plates together into the 'long'

Click to view attachment

Cut out the 'Big Hole' No turning back now.... Do you think an Eaton M90 and piping will fit in there? (End of dream sequence happy11.gif )
Zaney
Followed the advice of many who have come before me and got to the inner seam weld between the firewall portions,

Click to view attachment

Now it is time to Fab up the 'box' and make it fit nicely in the Big Hole.

confused24.gif

Time to beer.gif

Cheers

Nate
charliew
Don't slow down now. Try to get someone to cut up a donor for the pieces you need, that way the rib pattern will line up. You actually may have cut a little too far back to use the donor parts though.
Zaney
Got a bit of time thanks to Grandma visiting and watching Sydney for the day! Thank you Sue!!!

So, measured some 18 gauge sheet metal and buzzed it down to size! Took a spare 2'x4' and the table saw to rip out my form to bend the metal on. Then, found my cinder blocks and made my own DIY sheet metal brake. It got me close enough without a real one. huh.gif

Followed Steve's (Porscharu) lead and braced the strut towers with a piece of 1 inch steel tubing. welder.gif

Then, used the bench grinder to make the final tweeks on the firewall cover.

Here are some pics: smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
Zaney
Looking up from the engine bay "new expansion"! beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Zaney
Next, I am going to take apart the tranny and attempt to do the DIY coupling magic and save $350. Need to find out the thickness of the block off plate then, go buy a piece of aluminum to make one.

After the trans is ready then mate the power plant together and fit it for final placement in the engine bay!

The momentum is building! I will probably hold off on the 5-lug conversion due to funds. Instead, get this baby on the road!!!

Tada!
Click to view attachment
Zaney
Keep the momentum going...

Painted the rear trunk and seam sealed the welds.

Painted the intake manifold with 500 degree chevy red-orange paint.

Used the DIY Bremar Coupling Thread and made my own plate to save myself $350.

Here are the pics welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nsr-jamie
I love this thread! Keep up the excellent work!
Zaney
Alrighty then!
More progress on the Suby Transmission mount and the final placement of the mounting tabs for the engine cradle.

I copied the engine cradle/yoke design from Geoff (Strawman)

Click to view attachment

Another pic with the trans mount

Click to view attachment

The little notch is my mismeasurement of the cylinder clearance on that side. Should not hurt the stabilty of the cradle.
Zaney
Here is my attempt at the Suby Transmission mount in the 914.

I utilized the stock subaru transmission mount and made a simple plate-based mount to hang from the 914 stock trans mount position.

I will use better fasteners for the final installation. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Here is the clearance under the rear trunk. Since this picture was taken I ground down the old muffler hanger tabs. So, there is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance.

Click to view attachment

Zaney
Here is the alignment of the axle for the Suby Trans and the teener trailing arm.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is the room from the trunk clearance modification for the starter and the slave clutch cylinder. sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Zaney
There is plenty of room in the engine bay with this current setup.

Click to view attachment

Now, it is time to measure the placement for the front radiator system and hopefully utilize a heater core from the water heater piping from the Suby engine.

Click to view attachment

Keep it movin'! driving.gif
KELTY360
Nice looking work. I like the way you took a little space from the rear trunk but retained it's utility. When you say 'front radiator system', does that mean front of the engine bay or front of the car? Sorry if I missed that detail in your build thread.
KELTY360
Nice looking work. I like the way you took a little space from the rear trunk but retained it's utility. When you say 'front radiator system', does that mean front of the engine bay or front of the car? Sorry if I missed that detail in your build thread.
Zaney
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 20 2010, 01:58 PM) *

I am going for the "front of the car" radiator system. I picked up a new 90's VW Golf radiator at the Cascade Kombis Car Show/Swap Meet along with some decent used Bay Window Bus axles/CVs.

So, next is to build a radiator mount and shroud. Buy some gates radiator hose and pipe it into the engine bay.

Clean up the Bus axles, bus CV's, 914 CV's and then find a Suby radiator reservior at a pick n pull.

Fun stuff! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
charliew
Why not just take off from the front radiator to make the heater connections? That will be much cleaner than running the hoses from the suby lines that are facing rearward behind the motor unless you are going to put the heater core in the enginebay.
Porcharu
Good to see MY idea for the trunk is working out well for the Subi Swappers (it's actually Ricks ie Aliens idea.) At this rate I might be the last person to have a running all Suby 914. It will happen - I just don't know when. The joys of a new house and son biggrin.gif
Steve
Zaney
I am actually in the redesigning phase of my transmission mount. I received some sage advice from some members about my first version of the trans mount being the lowest point of the car. Thus, being the first thing to get ripped off in the unfortunate event (ie. bad speedbump.)

So, I am going to go with a hard mount point to the trans case and use the stock 914 tranny mounting points with 911 sport mounts.

I am also collecting the necessary hardware to do the rear 5-lug swap with 944CVs, in SirAndy's classic thread.

Pics to come...
beer.gif
Nate
charliew
I think you will find that unless you brace the motor or tranny front to rear they will swing forward and rearward under power. the only thing preventing it is the strength of the tubing crossection at the vertical part of the motor mount. Thats probably why Dana built the cradle type mount he made for rh. You maybe could build a mount from the top of the bellhousing to the tubing you put between the towers like the subys (pitch link) use to stop it.
Zaney
After studying some online pics of some Suby trans mounts, I gave it another try.

I followed the advise of other Conversionites beer.gif and used 911 sports mounts to attach the Suby trans to after fixing it with hard mounts.

The pics will say it better... Sorry for the blurriness, camera phone pics.

Click to view attachment
1 inch tubing that is boxed and sleeved for the bolt (prevent crushing)
attatched with 1"x1"x.25" angle steel to a .25" plate cut to fit the Suby case

Click to view attachment
Suby mounts version 2.0
Zaney
The main reason for the new mounts was to provide clearance for any obstacles that the rear of the car might encounter (ie. speedbumps)

I will see how the forward and rear sway of this system is effected by the acceleration and braking of the car. It was suggested to join the engine and trans mounts to provide more stability. I will watch this when I get it on the road and go from there.

Click to view attachment

Another pic in car

Click to view attachment

From below

More to come!

Cooling system and cable shifting system are next! beer.gif

Nate
strawman
Looks great Nate! Keep the updates coming.

Signed,
A Guy Who Has Been Too Lazy to Update My Build
Zaney
Well, it has been a while but finally some progress!

I have been studying the pics of DBCooper's (Paul) awesome build and tried to copy his version of the cable shifter. I had some cables made from a company in the mid west and used some scrap metal from an old Seagrave fire engine for the shifter linkage!

So, here is the fruit of my MAN SKILLZ! (novice that they may be piratenanner.gif )

Click to view attachment
Top down view

Click to view attachment
Looks kinda familiar beer.gif

Click to view attachment
Still need to paint it up

I was able to play with a plasma cutter at the fire mechanic shop for the first time and boy that thing is awesome! welder.gif

Click to view attachment
Cable shifter using an MR2 linkage

Click to view attachment
another

Click to view attachment

I still need to mount it in the car and make it pretty but, I am very proud of myself considering I have never done this before! beerchug.gif
Now it is time to go out in the garage and pretend I am driving it driving.gif

Cheers,
Nate
sawtooth
Very nice. I'll be doing the same very soon. Keep up the great work!
strawman
Great job Nate. I'm finally in the "pre-assembly" stage with my Suby-teener, so it is great to see your progress to inspire me. Keep up the good work!
Zaney
Thanks Geoff!
Next step is copying your hydraulic clutch solution and getting the car one step closer!

Zaney
Been too long since I have posted any progress on the Suby project but, there has been a bit of movement! smash.gif

Click to view attachment

-Installed the hydrallic clutch master cylinder and ran the hard line to the back. Followed Strawman's idea about using it with the stock pedal cluster.

-Gathered all the necessary pieces for the five lug swap. I did the front strut option and followed Sir Andy's thread for the rears.

-Cleaned up the front trunk and prepped it for the radiator. Cut the exhaust holes and welded in the all of the openings.

-Painted the Fuchs and I am picking up some tires this week!

-Got the Suby manifold flipped over, moved the alternator, and rewired the engine harness to fit.

-Trimmed out all off the unnecessary wires out of the stock Suby harness using Small Car Performance info and made a harness to mate with the Teener.
Zaney
Click to view attachment
Ordered the Gates radiator hose from Renegade Hybrids and reinstalled the front wiring harness.

Still need to install the hose.
sawtooth
Looking great Nate, keep it up! You'll have that suby running in no time. aktion035.gif
Zaney
Click to view attachment

Phoenix Red!!!

16x7's! Tires to be picked up this week.

Zaney
Click to view attachment

Suby engine!! Ready to be installed! Minus some tubing...

-Still need to route the engine fuel lines with the Walbro fuel pump. Already put in Racer Chris' SS lines.

-Need to order small bits for the front fuel system before putting everthing back.
ruby914
Looking good. Nice work Nate.
What profile tires will you use?
Zaney
I picked up a set of Falken 205/50/ZR16 tires!!
Still waiting for set of lug nuts from Rennline in the mail. Then, I will see if I need to stretch the rear wheel wells. smash.gif
JRust
Hey Nate is that Outfronts alternator relocation bracket? If so how did you get it to fit & the alternator not hit the AIR ports? I had to stick ny alternator further up & right
Zaney
QUOTE(JRust @ May 10 2011, 12:18 PM) *

Hey Nate is that Outfronts alternator relocation bracket? If so how did you get it to fit & the alternator not hit the AIR ports? I had to stick ny alternator further up & right

I have a 2002 2.5 NA engine and flipping the manifold 180 was not just a plug and play. I had to trim back the heater hardpipe leading down to the water pump and use a rubber hose to connect it. Also, I had to take apart the engine stock harness and splice in a few extra inches to make everything reach. I am using the stock ECU and harness that I trimmed down using Small Cars' print out for a 2002.

I am also using a phenolic spacer for the intake manifold which also gave me a bit of clearance room for everything to fit.
I will post some pic of everything in place once I am done with all the wiring.

Cheers,
Nate
Zaney
Here are some pics of some more progress: piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Front trunk with Walbro fuel pump installed & remote reservoir for hydraulic clutch

Click to view attachment

Phenolic spacer ordered from Grimmspeed

Click to view attachment

Modified heater downpipe to the water pump
Zaney
Click to view attachment

Side view of Outfront unmodified Alternator bracket

more pics to come next week popcorn[1].gif
sawtooth
Hey Nate, what's the status. You must be getting close. Going to make it to WCR?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.