Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zaney's Suby Rustoration Adventure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
76-914
Kent White is a metal wizard, huh? I watched him do his metal magic 18 yr's ago and I'm sure he has only gotten better. Check out some of his A/C fairings with the raised teardrops.
Mr.242
Nice work! I can't wait to see it this spring with new paint. WAHOO!
Zaney
Time for a little housekeeping for this thread!

Life has definitely slowed the process of getting this Teener done! There was only two of us when I began this thread and know there are FOUR of us! cheer.gif cheer.gif
A fourteen month old and a kindergartener make life interesting, I am now outnumbered 3 to 1!

I have been driving the Teener on sunny days only in order to keep it out of the rain. Hopefully, not promote anymore rust until I could take it apart to get it ready for paint.

Had some loose ends to take care of: Fill in the passenger mirror holes

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Started to smooth out the hand-shaped flares!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally got the SpeedHut Gauges installed!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Got the door panels figured out

Click to view attachment

Zaney
Started collecting body pieces and interior components:

front GT Valence
Click to view attachment

rear zero cutout valence to be fitted for Suby exhaust
Click to view attachment

Fiberglass rockers
Click to view attachment

Suby 2.5L all tuned up and rocking!
Click to view attachment

Aluminum Floorboard and pieces
Click to view attachment

Rubber 914 pieces and A&P carpet kit
Click to view attachment

Decided against grafting in the VW Passat side markers
Click to view attachment

Everything compiled
Click to view attachment

Ready to disassemble everything!
Click to view attachment
Zaney
Took the doors apart, interior, and the trim.

Prepped the car to 400 grit and mask it off for high build primer.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then, tagged it up for a contrasting guide coat and blocked it down to wet sanded 600 grit! Holy crap that took forever!

Not pictured, but I am smoothing out the bumpers with a hammer & dolly & planishing disc!

More to come!!

Click to view attachment

Zaney
I have been trying to exercise my growing metalworking skills smash.gif

Took the rear bumpers down to bare metal and discovered that it had been bumped into in the past and repaired with .5" of mud barf.gif

So, I used my hammer & dollys with the planishing hammer. Then, tried to smooth it out with the shrinking disc! Pretty good success for the areas I could work on not interfered with by the bumper brackets. Those areas will be finished off with a skim coat of glaze and concealed by the rear bumper tits.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So, put on the ear muffs and start massaging the metal slowly!
Zaney
Then, got it pretty close for an apprentice! beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The front bumper was good structurally but I wanted to get it ready for paint. Both bumpers will be smoothed down to 600 grit when I'm done piratenanner.gif

Zaney
Ok, here is the question of the night...

What is more appealing for this car, painted Metallic silver with Phoenix Red valences or, just leaving it primed and ready for the next owner to paint a color of their choice?

Yes, this car will be For Sale soon dry.gif

I went to to DirtFish Rally School this past spring and got hooked!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So, I want to build a RallyCross / Rally car! Looking into building a pre-66 VW Class 11 style vintage Rally car!

So, if anyone has a proposition for a good trade for a 1965 or earlier VW Beetle in decent shape maybe we can work something out.

Otherwise, I am just about done with this awesome Suby Teener and prepping it for its new adventure! driving.gif

An ad will be put in the for sale section when it is ready, soon. If someone wants it as is, PM your thoughts.

Cheers!
Nate
mgp4591
Congratulations on the new adventure- rally is a real kick in the pants! I'd leave your project in primer for the new owner... less money for you and they pick the colors they want. Great build so far! Any idea what you'd need with price for it as it sits?
effutuo101
Looking great! Nice job.
messix
don't sell it....

you'll only kick your self in the ass later screwy.gif
matthepcat
PM sent
Zaney
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 7 2014, 09:39 AM) *

PM sent

Howdy. Check messages
Zaney
Ok, here we go!

The Suby Teener is officially FOR SALE!!!

Click to view attachment

Thank you to all the members who have offered their advice and expertise along my fun, zany adventure with this wonderful car! Especially, Geoff, Dean and my Northwest friends!

This isn't goodbye but more like cya round!

Cheers! beer.gif
Nate
OddRobsGarage
At its new home in Arizona!Click to view attachment
OddRobsGarage
Click to view attachment This is my other car, also a 74
OddRobsGarage
Body work almost done, had to put it on a rack to correct the door gap but it came out wonderful. paint to come very soon!Click to view attachment
76-914
welcome.png
OddRobsGarage
Body prepped and jammed, tons of hours in bodywork and additional body mods (steel moulded rockers, filled fresh air vent and removed trim and filled around back window, reworked flares, notched front bumper for airflow. Painting on Saturday
Cairo94507
Terrific progress and work. popcorn[1].gif
OddRobsGarage
Bam!!!! Outa the ballpark! Smooth as glass.Click to view attachment
OddRobsGarage
Camera 2Click to view attachment
mgp4591
Nice work and paint! It looks like it may have a bit of green in it or is it just the lighting? And did you do your own rockers or pick them up as well as the rear flares? With all the work you've done, you could have made them yourself- they look great! first.gif
OddRobsGarage
I bought this car as an unfinished project from "Zaney" this is his thread. He widened the fenders and my buddy spent 8 weeks straightening the car and the gaps. It is a custom blend Green with a touch of gold pearl. I'm calling it "Fury Green" after my painter.
It is incredibly straight.
I bought new metal rockers and moulded them in , shaved the fresh air vent and the trim around the back window. it makes the car look very sleek.
Next plan is to take some altitude out of the suspension, full stainless dual exhaust and wheels/tires.
mgp4591
QUOTE(OddRobsGarage @ Oct 27 2015, 03:36 AM) *

I bought this car as an unfinished project from "Zaney" this is his thread. He widened the fenders and my buddy spent 8 weeks straightening the car and the gaps. It is a custom blend Green with a touch of gold pearl. I'm calling it "Fury Green" after my painter.
It is incredibly straight.
I bought new metal rockers and moulded them in , shaved the fresh air vent and the trim around the back window. it makes the car look very sleek.
Next plan is to take some altitude out of the suspension, full stainless dual exhaust and wheels/tires.

Great work, really pops with that color too! Maybe more detail pics on those custom touches?! drooley.gif
Zaney
beerchug.gif Awesome work!

Love all the Hot Rod touches! w00t.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.