Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 2.0L Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dlee6204
Oh and I also installed the heat ducting on the car. Now I just have to order some hoses and find a fan splitter so I can cruise in warmth! driving.gif
silver74insocal
wow waht a great thread thanks for all the info ..good job and happy motoring beerchug.gif
maf914
Doug,

Nice work. It looks like you are making good progress.

What brand tires are those? I will need tires soon and I am also using 205/60-15's. The only high performance tires I can locate are BF-Goodrich G-Force Sports and Yokohama AVS ES-100's. I guess no one cares about 15" wheels anymore. laugh.gif
dlee6204
Nice work. It looks like you are making good progress.

What brand tires are those? I will need tires soon and I am also using 205/60-15's. The only high performance tires I can locate are BF-Goodrich G-Force Sports and Yokohama AVS ES-100's. I guess no one cares about 15" wheels anymore.

Thanks Mike. The tires are Goodyear Eagle GT's that I got off Tire Rack. The G-Force Sports were my second option however based on reviews i read, Eagle GT's had a little better wet traction and they also had a 50,000 mile warranty. Other than those two things, both tires are very compareable. Here is an interesting article that I read on the Eagle GTs. Article. I'll post my review on here once I run them a bit.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 10 2009, 01:56 PM) *

And I did a little "upgrade" to the rear trunk. I added a second light. To me, it made sense to have one on both sides. This setup helps light up the entire trunk also lights up both sides of the engine compartment instead of one.

I painted the top part of the reflective lens and housing with a reflective paint. This keeps the light reflected down in the engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Do you have any close ups of the finished product? How did you deal with getting the hole the perfect size for the light? Thanks!

Thom
dlee6204
Do you have any close ups of the finished product? How did you deal with getting the hole the perfect size for the light? Thanks!

I actually don't have any more pictures of the install. The extra light is mounted the same way any stock trunk light is and the hardest part about doing this was getting the rectangular hole cut out. Using the light's gasket I traced out where the holes needed to be. To make the rectangular hole, i drilled a hole on each end and then cut out the section between the holes using a cutoff wheel. I then used a series of square files to get the hole down to a perfect size to fit the light. To wire it, I simply extended the wires over from the original light.

At night this second light really lights up the trunk and the passenger side of the engine down by the injectors and intake runners. It was definitely a worthwhile modification.
dlee6204

I actually don't have any more pictures of the install. The extra light is mounted the same way any stock trunk light is and the hardest part about doing this was getting the rectangular hole cut out. Using the light's gasket I traced out where the holes needed to be. To make the rectangular hole, i drilled a hole on each end and then cut out the section between the holes using a cutoff wheel. I then used a series of square files to get the hole down to a perfect size to fit the light. To wire it, I simply extended the wires over from the original light.

At night this second light really lights up the trunk and the passenger side of the engine down by the injectors and intake runners. It was definitely a worthwhile modification.
dlee6204
I haven't been able to do much with the car yet due to this...

Click to view attachment

We had to use the garage for other projects so both the Bug and the 914 have had to sit outside. sad.gif I did manage to get the heater system fully hooked up. Even with a few inches of snow on it, it still heats up pretty good inside! Hopefully all the salt on the road will wash away in the next day or two.
dlee6204
Christmas came early yesterday. I got a tow bar adapter and lights so that I will eventually be able to flat tow my 914 anywhere! smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Here it is on a bare shell
Click to view attachment

dlee6204
I also got the tires mounted today biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The car looks much better now with the Fuchs added. The tires had a stiffer sidewall than the old ones so it actually raised the car a half inch or so. I drove the car around a bit and the new tires felt much better. driving.gif
dlee6204
Not much progress but lots of a driving! driving.gif I was able to make a Radio faceplate from an original one.

I cut a hole for a standard DIN size radio.
Click to view attachment

And my high tech weight mechinism to hold it flat while it dries.
Click to view attachment

Ta-da!
Click to view attachment

dlee6204
And here it is in the car. I still need to clean the rest of the dash.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I'm planning on taking the car out of town for New Years. Its a 300 mile round trip so I have a few things I want to get done before I leave on the 31st.

-change tranny fluid
-adjust the shift linkage
-seal up some areas underneath (wet weather expected)
-clean up the interior
-check CV joint bolts
-check for slop in the front end
-adjust the rear brake clearance

The car should be able to make the trip however anything can happen...
bcheney
Just checked our your thread for the first time. You are doing a great job!! Keep the faith and you're gonna have one helluva nice ride!!
wponting
do you know anywhere i can find those LED strips that you used?
dlee6204
The LED strips I used were the FLB30 series from Super Bright LEDs Inc.
dlee6204
So I got back from my trip on the 2nd and have been too lazy to update this thing. The car made the trip just fine however two things did come up.

1. The ignition switch decided to stop working. It is a new switch so who knows. This didn't bother me much because i placed a jumper wire in the engine bay that leads to the starter. I added this the last time the switch failed just in case.

2. I replaced the cork oil filler gasket before the trip. I noticed after driving the car that it leaks some oil. I guess I just have to make sure it is mating properly.

Here are some pictures from my trip.

If you look through the trees, you can see the lake we were on.
Click to view attachment

A friend took this of me on the highway
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
So as some of you know I had a little accident in my 914 when it snowed here. I slid off into a ditch and hit a tree. You can read about it HERE

Well I started to fix the damage. I stripped the front end and I was able to get the front end pulled back out to speck. The headlight bucket was push in a little bit.

This is the channel at the top of the headlight bucket. You can see how its bent.
Click to view attachment

I had to remove the shelf in the front trunk but I already pulled another one from my parts car. I'll replace the vertical support too.
Click to view attachment
jonferns
clap56.gif Looks like its coming along. Let me know if theres any metal you need, I have a parts car at work.
dlee6204
And that's pretty much all I got done this past weekend. I do have bigger news though. I've gotten tired of looking at my multicolored car and have decided to PAINT it. biggrin.gif I have my spring break from school coming up the beginning of March and so I have a good 10 days to work on it. My goal is to have most of the bodywork completed by the end of break but we all know how that goes. I plan to strip the exterior of the car down to bare metal and just sand down the trunks. More details to come in a week or so.

Click to view attachment

I also had a clean hood that I will use. The old one never fit right even before the accident.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Looks like its coming along. Let me know if theres any metal you need, I have a parts car at work.

Thanks Jon. I'll keep that in mind. beerchug.gif
dlee6204
I started to repair the rust in front of the windshield where the fenders meet up. The pass side had been patched before but it still needed a lot of work.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
icon8.gif The damage...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
Ah, I like new metal

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Click to view attachment

Here it is with new gaskets. And I finished welding it up on this side but I don't have a pictures. headbang.gif
Click to view attachment

So I started on the driver's side. This side was not as bad it was still a pain in the butt to fix.

Click to view attachment

Bad stuff removed...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And the finished product piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachment

dlee6204
That's all of the pictures for tonight. There is some rust in the front weatherstrip channel that I started to cut out but haven't finished with that yet.

Tomorrow I will probably start removing the gas tank and all the ventilation ducting to get it ready for paint. The last main thing that needs to be done before i start prepping for paint is to fix some damage in the rear trunk . The fun just doesn't stop!
dlee6204
More Progress!

So at one time there was rust in the rear trunk and the PO decided to cut out a trunk floor from another car and weld/braze it over the rusted floor. So I cut out the top layer of the floor...
Click to view attachment

What you're about to see hasn't been seen in many years.....

Click to view attachment

Beautiful!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Since the car was hit in the driver's side rear corner at some point, you can still see some of the damage. I will address this with the floor out.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Most of the trunk floor out. This is as far as I got tonight with the floor.
Click to view attachment

I also removed the windshield... without breaking it! smile.gif The windshield is not in good shape so I will replace this after paint.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Lot of progress has been going on

I got most of the rear trunk in. I reused the the floor that was welded in before but I fabricated the corner pieces . I won't finish the driver's side of the trunk until I repair the damage on that side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Today I started to address the damage in the rear. After stripping the rear fender of body filler, the rear half of the fender was obviously beaten back into shape and it was pretty mangled. So I decided to cut out and replace that part of the fender. This also allowed me to beat out some of the damage in the rear trunk.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is as far as I got for tonight. A little more trimming and it should be ready to weld into place.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
We're sort of going back in time. Yesterday I started out gutting and stripping the doors.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jonferns
Doug, great metal work!
dlee6204
I stripped the door of its layers and layers of paint
Click to view attachment

And I started working with body filler stirthepot.gif
Click to view attachment

After a sanded first coat...
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And after a few more layers, we are good to go thumb3d.gif I started to work on the other door but it needed a little more work so I put it off to the side.
Click to view attachment

I also stripped the passenger side front fender, welded up the side marker holes and put on some filler. Its looking good!
Click to view attachment

Stripping the other fender.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Stripped passenger side fender with the filled in side marker holes

Click to view attachment

And some filler. I sanded this down too but I forgot to take a picture.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I also took out the gas tank and all ventilation ducting in the front trunk because I will be painting all those areas. No pictures of this either.

Things left to do:

-Weld up rear driver's side fender
-Weld up rear trunk floor
-Strip rear fenders, trunk lids, and engine lid
-Apply filler to remaining pieces
-Sand trunks
watsonrx13
Doug great job. sawzall-smiley.gif

What brand of body filler are you using? What grade sandpaper are you using to remove it? Are you removing it use air-powered tools or by hand?

--Rob
dlee6204
What brand of body filler are you using? What grade sandpaper are you using to remove it? Are you removing it use air-powered tools or by hand?

I'm using Evercoat products. I haven't used the Metal Glaze yet but I will after I get done applying the filler. I prepare the metal with 60 grit and then sand down with 60. I will probably step up to 120 before applying the glaze. Most of the sanding so far has been with a RO sander but I have used a long board sanding block in some areas. I should also mention that this is my first time dealing with with any sort of body filler or painting for that matter so I've been learning as I go.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I finished welding up the rear fender today. I'm so glad I decided to replace this portion. I also stripped the rest of the fender.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
Gutted front trunk
Click to view attachment

I also stripped the front hood
Click to view attachment

And I mounted the hoot to make sure all gaps are good.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I somehow roped a friend into coming over and giving me a hand. I let him strip the rear trunk lid. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Almost done!
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Stripped the other fender too
Click to view attachment

and started the body filler
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Only thing left to strip is the engine lid. Pretty much its all body work and sanding from now on.
SUNAB914
Doug, how humbled I am after going through your thread. I was glad to meet you last night in person, if I had know you were a welding godess I would have plugged in my welder and found something for us to do. Great job, you would be a great instructor!
dlee6204
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 19 2010, 08:49 AM) *

Doug, how humbled I am after going through your thread. I was glad to meet you last night in person, if I had know you were a welding godess I would have plugged in my welder and found something for us to do. Great job, you would be a great instructor!

Thanks Chris! If you were going to put me to work, that would have required a longer joy ride around base! driving.gif It was nice meeting you too. I made it home safely with the windshield around 2 am. I can't wait to get the car painted and install it.
dlee6204
Update: I don't have any new pictures of the progress I made but it involves lots and lots of sanding! I have a few small spots of filler left to do and then finish sanding the finishing putty. I'll try to snap some pictures this weekend.
dlee6204
More progress... I finished welding up the rear trunk and seam sealed it.

Before adding seam sealer (Sorry I don't have an after pic)
Click to view attachment

I also sealed up the floor from underneath and welded on the heat shield.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Here is the driver's side door after some filler and finishing putty. Click to view attachment

I also welded up the portion of the rear fender that I cut out to do rust repair.
Click to view attachment

Some more filler...
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
After I sand this down, this should be the last of the filler. Then I have to cover it in metal glaze. This fender still needs the most work compared to the rest of the car.
Click to view attachment

The rest of the car has been covered with glaze and sanded. There are a few spots that need some more attention but nothing major.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Found some more pictures smile.gif

I welded a piece to finish off the front weather-strip channel.
Click to view attachment

I also bought a like new windshield from Chris (SUNAB914) which will be installed after paint.
Click to view attachment

Things that need to get done... Trunks need to be sanded, Engine lid needs to be sanded, Headlight covers need to be sanded, Underside of trunk lids need sanding, driver's side rear fender needs some more love, exterior of the car needs final sanding, and door jambs needs a little sanding. So pretty much just some more sanding and I'll be good to go. They are calling for 80's the end of this week so I'm hoping I can get this thing sprayed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.