Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 2.0L Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dlee6204
I just found a picture that I took of the old brake lines that were on the car and the new ones I installed. I am assuming the old ones were for a 911 because both ends of the lines were narrow so the stock clips wouldn't work.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Oh and the fun doesn't stop there! I went ahead and finished any welding or repairs needed in the engine compartment, coated it, and sealed all the seams up. I then installed steel gas lines through the center tunnel, the fuel pump, and any gas lines underneath. I installed new engine bay seals, relay board and routed the wiring harness in order to get ready for engine installation...

Oh and by the way, I got the engine in too! smilie_pokal.gif The engine was ready to go so I just went ahead and did it. I actually got more done than I expected. I was able to bolt the engine in place, install the exhaust system, bolt up the cv joints, connect the clutch, accelerator, and speedo cables and connect the engine harness up. I think I
finished connecting things up from underneath so now I just have to bolt the computer up and make a few more connections up top before she will be ready to go.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
Here are a few more shots of the engine. You can see my SS heat exchangers that I had for the car. The car came to me with an old rusty bursch muffler so I replaced that with an original old rusty 2.0L muffler (which will get painted sometime). I also used an exhaust hardware kit that I got from AA to install everything. And before installing the engine I regreased the CV joints.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Here is a shot of the car on the ground again!

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
That's all for now. The things left on my to-do list are...

-Finish connecting up the engine
-Repair the rust in the front floorpan on the passenger side
-Install the fuel tank
-Install the emergency brake cables
-Install the interior
-Bleed the brakes
-Finish up the driver's side front fender
-Install the headlight
-Paint and assemble the bumpers

Hopefully most of these things will get done next weekend and I can work on getting the tags and insurance for it. It might not be pretty right now but it is a good feeling knowing the car will be drivable soon (fingers crossed). Here is a picture from the day I brought it home.

Click to view attachment

trojanhorsepower
Man, your smoke'n.

That all looks great. I think part of my trouble was I have been using 16 gauge for the longs and it has been hard to work with. You have inspired me to try again!

-Peter
bigkensteele
Doug, I am trying to figure out if you don't sleep or have no significant others in your life or both. I am amazed at what you acomplish in such short periods of time. With 2 kids and a wife, I am lucky to sandblast two wheels over a long weekend.

Great work! You keep a lot of people motivated.

Ken
dlee6204
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 10 2009, 12:46 AM) *

Doug, I am trying to figure out if you don't sleep or have no significant others in your life or both. I am amazed at what you acomplish in such short periods of time. With 2 kids and a wife, I am lucky to sandblast two wheels over a long weekend.

Great work! You keep a lot of people motivated.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I just try to stay focused as much as possible since time available working on the car is limited. I have also found that making lists really helps.

dlee6204
So it was another productive weekend. I started off with repairing the rust under the fuel tank. Overall there were three replacement pieces that I had to make and weld into place. Unfortunately, I haven't taken pictures of the final product yet

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
After I finished with the rust, I worked on the gas tank. The one that was in the car was pretty rusty on the inside and at one point it had even been repaired. I decided to switch it out with another one I had in storage. I painted the tanked and I also cleaned the sender unit before installing it.

Click to view attachment

Here it is installed
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I finished up the engine and with the gas tank installed, it meant time for a test run. It started on the first crank however it ran like crap. It revved way up and it wouldn't hold idle. There must have also been a mouse colony in the muffler at some point because when I first started it up, all sorts of crap was shooting out that back. After fiddling with the motor a bit more, I learned that it helps to connect the Cylinder head temperature sensor beforehand blink.gif After it was connected, the car ran very well. The only problem I noticed was that the passenger side valve cover was leaking oil. I replaced the gasket and all is well now. smilie_pokal.gif I will try to get a video of it running sometime.

Here are a few shots of the engine.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
This weekend I also bled the brakes, installed the emergency brake cables, installed the rear bumper and started installing the interior.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Here is another shot of the interior.
Click to view attachment

This evening I decided that it was time for a test drive down the driveway. Well that test drive turned out to be a test drive down the road. driving.gif It was only a block or two before I turned around but it sure was fun. The car ran very well, accelerated nicely, and shifted smoothly. As of right now there doesn't seem to be anything with the drivetrain that needs attention.(knock on wood) The rest of the car on the other hand... needs some lovin'. That's all for now. More to come next weekend.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
So this past weekend I slacked off but I still got some things done. I finished welding up the driver's side front fender and then installed the lights. I also painted the front bumper and installed it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I also installed the door mirror and the under-dash pad. Here is a picture with the lights on.

Click to view attachment

Some problems I noticed:

I noticed that the tachometer doesn't work. I traced the problem to a faulty black/purple wire that runs from the back of the gauge to the coil. The wire is cut somewhere between the engine relay board and the gauge.

Whenever I hit the brakes, the reverse lights come on. I am assuming that the wires are hooked up wrong somewhere.

The Driver's side headlight doesn't pop up and retract correctly. I'll have to try adjusting it again.
dlee6204
Well this past weekend was a complete whirlwind. On Friday afternoon, I called and finally got insurance for the car. I then got my registration and plates from the DMV which meant my car was finally street legal. smilie_pokal.gif

Before I could drive it, I had to do a few things. I fixed the brake and reverse lights. I also installed the seat belts and passenger seat and buttoned up a few other things. Finally the car was ready for a test drive! I took a few shorts drives, stopping to make sure nothing was on fire or anything and I gradually worked my way to longer and longer drives. Needless to say I put over 100 miles on it over 1.5 days without going more like 10 miles from my house. I even managed to take the girlfriend for a nighttime drive.

After hearing how the 914 is underpowered for all these years, I was actually surprised at how much power it DID have. The car accelerated beautifully and handled great. I don't know why no one told me how much fun these cars are! driving.gif I became addicted to 914s when I was 13 and for the past 7 years i had yet to drive one of them until this past weekend. I had a blast driving all the back roads and I am just glad that now I finally have a car to drive. It might not be a looker but it sure is fun!

Two things that I noticed need work is the driver's side rear wheel bearing and the shift linkage needs minor adjustment. The wheel bearing was actually pretty bad so I didn't go above 60 when driving the car. The car is parked this week until I can replace the bearing this weekend. I will also replace the front wheel bearings and seals too. There is still a countless number of things left to do on the car but as least now I can enjoy it some!

The only pictures I took are of the interior after I got almost everything in. Speaker panels and sill pieces still need to be installed.

Click to view attachment
-Notice the big fire extinguisher
Click to view attachment
Gint
Grats! smilie_pokal.gif

There is an alternative solution that may or may not suit your plan for the car either immediate or long term. You can get the car up and running more quickly by swapping in a spare control arm if you have one handy. It's faster and easier than replacing a wheel bearing. That would get you back to driving.gif faster!
dlee6204
There is an alternative solution that may or may not suit your plan for the car either immediate or long term. You can get the car up and running more quickly by swapping in a spare control arm if you have one handy. It's faster and easier than replacing a wheel bearing. That would get you back to faster!

I thought about that but all the spares I have are either covered in rust or still on other cars. I'll just replace it so I know that I am riding on good bearings.
FourBlades

Great work getting your car on the road!!!

I got so tired of waiting to get my blue car working I bought the red car just to
have a runner. I agree they drive great even with the 1.7 engine.

Your car is looking solid. Now you can just tinker when you feel like it.

John
dlee6204
Now you can just tinker when you feel like it.

Thank John. That's my thinking exactly. I'm trying to fight the inevitable. I'm trying to eliminate the jack-stand syndrome of the 914. I will gradually fix more and more on it while I enjoy it. When something breaks or goes wrong, I can fix it in a weekend without worrying about ruining the paint or anything. Once I get around to painting it, I will hopefully have worked through and restored all the systems on the car.

dlee6204
Speaking of not ruining the paint, I forgot to mention how there was a little "accident" over the weekend. After one of my drives, the car was idling a little high. I put the emergency brake on, and ran the car while I adjusted the idle. Once I shut off the car I went into the house. Ten minutes later I came back outside and found that the car had rolled down the driveway and wedged up against a tree. The passenger front fender got pushed in and both lights broke. I forgot to put the car in gear once I shut the car off and the emergency brake wasn't reliable enough. Here are some pictures of the carnage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I beat it out as much as I could and I replaced the lights so all is good now. I will worry about the finishing touches when I go to do bodywork on the car.
dlee6204
Here are some picture from when I replaced the wheel bearing this past weekend.

The control arm after it is removed.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
When I removed the hub from the bearing, the inner race came with it. You can see how nasty the inside of that bearing looks. I took a spare hub that I had and put it in the freezer to make installation easier.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After I pulled the old one out, I cleaned the housing and installed the new frozen bearing. It slide right into place!
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And finally, I installed the hub using some threaded rod, big washers, and nuts.

Click to view attachment

I also replaced the front wheel bearing and seals for good measure. I took it for a test drive and the noise was gone! piratenanner.gif I then proceeded to drive the car the entire weekend putting another 100-200 miles on it.

A new problem that came up was the infamous no-start problem. Some of the time the starter would work, some of the time it wouldn't. I replaced the starter with a known good one and it still would only crank some of the time so I believe the problem to be in the ignition switch. I'll replace it and go from there!
kconway
Make sure you ground strap from the tranny to chassis is in tact and the connection points are clean as well.
dlee6204
UPDATE: I've driven the car over 1400 miles so far without any major issues. I've taken the car on several longer trips approx. 100 miles and it ran beautifully on all of them. I'm finding that I'm putting more miles on this car than my daily driver blink.gif I have several projects going on right now with it so I will try to update the best I can.

First off I got some new tires for it. The only problem is that my Fuch wheels aren't ready to have the tires mounted. I have been working on cleaning them up and painting them. So far I have two of the wheels almost ready for a clear coat.

I don't have a before picture but here is a picture after I cleaned the wheels up and masked them for paint.
Click to view attachment

Primer
Click to view attachment

And some black...
Click to view attachment

dlee6204
Another shot. The metal finish areas are a bit dirty in the pictures. It will look better after I get clear on them.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And the new rubber waiting for me in the driveway. 205/60/15's
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I also started rebuilding a set of axles that I had lying around. I finished one and the other will get done shortly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
It started to get chilly here at night so I added heat to the driver's side of the car. The passenger side will get done eventually. I also added a front valence, rocker panels, a stereo system, replaced the ignition switch, wiper stalk and many other small things.

And now some of the things that need work:

- The transmission is hard to shift and grinds when going into some of the gears. I have tried to adjust the linkage and and clutch will no real success. I am leaning towards the transmission itself so that might get replaced sometime in the near future.

- The driver's side rear has a camber issue. I'm going to swap out the trailing arm with a spare to insure it is not bent.
Click to view attachment

-Emergency brakes/ rear calipers need adjustment.

-Fresh air fan does not work. I cleaned the contacts but that didn't work. I will get around to replacing the fan.

-Passenger side needs heat ducting

-Wheels & tires need to be finished

-New axles need to be installed.

-Front steering pan needs to be painted and installed.

-Driver's door doesn't want to close some of the time.

-Interior light doesn't come on when door is open. The door switch is suspected.

-License Plate Lights need to be installed.

-Defrost illumination light doesn't work

-Clock doesn't work

To be continued...
Phoenix914
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. You make everything look easy! I have the exact same car, color included. Mine has been repainted the original Marathon Blue. My rear wheel bearings also need to be replaced, but I have been putting it off until I remove the engine for rebuilding.

What kind of radio did you install. Is it one that fits the dash without mods?
dlee6204
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. You make everything look easy! I have the exact same car, color included. Mine has been repainted the original Marathon Blue. My rear wheel bearings also need to be replaced, but I have been putting it off until I remove the engine for rebuilding.

What kind of radio did you install. Is it one that fits the dash without mods?

Thanks Bryan! The radio I used was just a spare Kenwood CD headunit that I had lying around. Once the stock radio faceplate is removed, there is a standard size hole in the dash that most stereos will fit in. Mine slipped right in and it only took less than an hour to get everything working. I still have to add basket-weave material around it to make it look better. I'll post pictures later on that shows more of the interior.

Originally I wanted to install a stock stereo but with a little budget I just installed the CD unit for the time being.
dlee6204
So I did something SAWEET to my car last night. I installed White LED Strips in the gauges to get rid of the yellow halogen bulbs. It came out looking great.

(I apologize for the blurry pictures)

I took the gauges apart, painted the interior housing a more reflective color, and installed a strip of LED's and wired it out the back. The difference is staggering.

The parts...
Click to view attachment

After I finished the speedo. This shows a big difference. I might be able to see my gauges now... w00t.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Complete assembly. I also painted the rings on all three gauges as well as the mounting plate.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now I just have to do the center console gauges.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Finished up the second driveshaft...

Oh my...
Click to view attachment

Complete!
Click to view attachment

hi4head
Way to go Doug!!

Thing look great and you sure look like you've been busy.
Stop by the house sometime when you're home for the weekend.

Chris
jonferns
It's coming along great Doug. Please keep the pics coming.
dlee6204
I finished the rest of the wheels today. Here's some pictures of my progress...

Here's a wheel before I started working on it.

Click to view attachment

Nobody likes a rash...

Click to view attachment

Rash gone.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Finished product
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Now I just need to get the tires mounted.

Click to view attachment

That's all for now. More to come later in the week!
dlee6204
I started restoring a set of good taillights I had lying around. I finished up the passenger side and installed it. The old one was badly cracked all over and being held together by the gasket. huh.gif

Before work
Click to view attachment

After I painted the innards and the housing. I cleaned all the contacts and installed a new gasket between the lens and housing.
Click to view attachment

Finished
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And sometimes its the small things that bring satisfaction. I painted my heater level knob biggrin.gif Last weekend I also got the illumination for the heater knob working too!

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I did some work in the rear trunk. At some point one of the previous owners decided to install a rod to hold up the trunk lid. However when I acquired the car, the trunk lid opens and shuts fine without it and both hinges were already replaced. So the rod is now gone...

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And I did a little "upgrade" to the rear trunk. I added a second light. To me, it made sense to have one on both sides. This setup helps light up the entire trunk also lights up both sides of the engine compartment instead of one.

I painted the top part of the reflective lens and housing with a reflective paint. This keeps the light reflected down in the engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gint
Those Fuchs look great! And you maintained something like a factory finish it would appear. Are the petals brushed? Did you remove the anodizing?
dlee6204
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2009, 05:45 PM) *

Those Fuchs look great! And you maintained something like a factory finish it would appear. Are the petals brushed? Did you remove the anodizing?

Thanks! The petals do have a brushed texture. I started by sanding the entire wheel with 150 grit i believe, then i stepped up to 400. After that I used steel wool on the metal finish areas to give it a very light brushed look. I then masked and painted the black. Then I painted clear over everything. They came out looking better than expected and I'm very pleased with them.

The wheels were in such good shape that I debated whether to polish the entire wheels or paint the insides black. I decided that I liked the black look better.
Cevan
Those wheels came out great! Nice work. beer.gif
dlee6204
Well today I painted some of the heat ducting for the passenger side.

Click to view attachment

I also painted the steering pan and put new seals on it.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Currently the fresh air fan doesn't work so I plan on replacing it. I pulled a good working unit off a parts car and did a little work to it. First, the gaskets on the opening/closing valves were completely toast. With the fan on and valves closed, there was an ample amount of air coming out of the ducting. To fix this, I replaced these foam gaskets with a new foam ring that I cut out of a 1/4" sheet of foam we had lying around. Now, the valves keep out the air when they are in the closed position.

Here is a picture of the old gaskets in place. You can see where part of it was missing around the edge.
Click to view attachment

Here is the new gasket I made compared to the old one.
Click to view attachment

And here it is in the ducting.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Here is the fan assembly ready to be installed in the car.

Click to view attachment

I'm starting to have a pile of parts building up. biggrin.gif I need to start installing them on my car!
dlee6204
So I put the 914 on jack stands this weekend to get some stuff done on it. I started by removing the gas tank and going through the air ducting up front. The air valves weren't in sync with the dash controls so i adjusted them. In the process, I broke one of the cables and that was a real pain to replace. I also replaced the fan and it still doesn't work so I need to make sure all the contacts are clean and attached in the dash.

I moved onto the rear end. Recently I've been having a progressive noise coming from the driver's side rear so I wanted to figure out why. I also wanted to fix the negative camber issue and replace the driveshafts while I was in there. After taking off the caliper and rotor, I notice the hub was way too loose in the bearing. I was able to wiggle it back and forth and then it popped out! WTF.gif (I previously replaced this bearing.)

Click to view attachment

I figured that was the source of the noise so I moved onto the camber issue. I replaced the trailing arm with a spare and it still had too much negative camber so I knew it wasn't a bent trailing arm. I ended up putting in approximately 1 cm of spacers to solve the camber issue. I also put in a new wheel bearing (a different brand than the first) in the second trailing arm so now I should be good to go. The driveshafts were replaced in the process.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Hopefully you guys don't think thats ALL I did this weekend biggrin.gif I painted my lugnuts to match the wheels.

Click to view attachment

When searching through the loads of parts we have around here I found an original leather steering wheel. SAWEET. I cleaned up the wheel, painted the metal horn button part, and re-glued the horn pad. I think I will install this on my car and sell the old one.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.