Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why not the WRX?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
airsix
Watts, you bust me up. laugh.gif

Regarding cooling lines...I'm seriously thinking of adding 3 inches to the hieght of the center tunnel. For strength I'd keep the existing top section about 50% intact and run longer sides from the floor up 3" higher than the existing tunnel top. That should make room for cooling lines, heater lines, and if needed - oil cooler lines. Then put a rennshifter on top with stock throw and just knock 3" off the shifter length (and angle the bushing at the firewall for propper allignment with the rod.) for a nice short-throw shifter. Oh, and maybe a little sign that reads "Don't touch the tunnel - it's hot." But it shouldn't get any hotter than the tranny hump on Dad's old Ford.

-Ben M.
dmenche914
what ever you do, make sure any radiator lines are such that if one leaks, it cannot spray into the passenger compartment. I had rubber hoses running thru the heater ducts, and going up behind the speaker grills. One of the hoses failed behind the dash, near the gas tank, and sprayed really hot antifreeze on my foot, nearly preventing me from using the brakes on the freeway! Good thing I was wearing heavy leather boots at the time.

Just be sure there is no way a leak can get hot water on anyone in the cockpit.

dave
Chris914n6
I don't think the P/S pump would like water either... maybe 100% coolant?
If the pump could be made to work then it would be ideal; flow=rpm=boost
I haven't tossed the idea but am throwing ideas out there for the more knowledgable.

I don't claim to be a cooling expert but I do have these thoughts... the Golf3 is the same area as the $1k. They both fill the space between the headlights. Both aluminum. Same fans/airflow. Same layout. Same 2 pass. $1k is 1/2" thicker core and hand built by a race radiator company. Should be pretty close right?
I wish I knew the 996 core size. There is an airflow factor involved.

My hose doesn't droop, but then I have wire reinforced hydraulic hose that is a bitch to bend. The conduit clamps work great. They bend out of the way when you (I) hit stuff. confused24.gif

Chris
Chris914n6
Mercedes Bosch water heater pump.

Ebay item=2471047200 and 2471087466

I've seen them cheaper. Should be a common pick-a-part item.

Chris
jonwatts
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 5 2004, 09:49 AM)
Regarding cooling lines...I'm seriously thinking of adding 3 inches to the hieght of the center tunnel.

Did I miss some official announcement on your part that you are no longer pursuing the 6 conversion but are instead "going commando" with the rest of us?
airsix
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 5 2004, 11:42 AM)
Did I miss some official announcement on your part that you are no longer pursuing the 6 conversion but are instead "going commando" with the rest of us?

There has been no official statement. I could go either way at this point. Lets just say I'm finalizing my decission, and it's getting harder and harder to justify Porsche power.
I don't want to take the car off the road until winter because I'm having fun driving it, but come winter there's going to be a powerplant change one way or another.

-Ben M.
Scott Carlberg
I have a question for Fiid & Jon....

[B]WHEN?[/B]

When do you two expect to have your wrx-powered 914s running?

Scott
jonwatts
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 5 2004, 12:23 PM)
come winter there's going to be a powerplant change one way or another.

driving.gif WooHoo! driving.gif

That sounds like a fine timeline. You'd be surprised how much progress you can make just making plans and acquiring parts for 6 - 8 months.

Scott, I'm still holding on to my unrealistic goal of driving the car to the WCC. That's less than 2 months away and there are still a fair number of items to figure out. Basically anything that takes the car out of my posession for any amount of time is an unknown quantity. For the past 2 weeks that has been the engine mount. I should get the car back this week and then I need firm time commitments from paint and body people to hang the flares and paint the whole enchilada. While that's happening I can work on wiring up the engine. I can't imagine making the deadline but everytime I read the WCC threads I really want to be there and not just as a bystander.

Jenny, if you're reading this, what's the status of your paint job?
jgiroux67
Anyone finished yet with there wrx conversion?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.