Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
SECHSER
yo doc..! sup man? i'm sort of a newbie here but not really.. anyways, i just talked to leamon over the phone and we were wondering if it's coo to video some of your sessions as someone that is a "non-thong (or dental floss..) wearing-on-the-outside-of-my-pants"...? smile.gif

i mean say sum detailed processe like.. the order of certain clips, rings, seals, bearings or what have you.. just so it could serve as a good way to remember everything when i do it next time.. and oh, of course! i'll be more than happy to sign a contract with you that i'll only keep the videos to myself for my own grease monkey car wrenching hobbie purpose and not posting them online like youtube and stuff..

please let us know, thanks type.gif

Dr Evil
Short clips here and there are fine, but I wont be posing for any as I will be running from box to box as necessary. Definitely no youtube or other posting, thanks. I am in the process of making my own how to video so any lengthy vids would kinda mess that endeavor up wink.gif I look forward to seeing you there smile.gif
jsayre914
whats up doc? smile.gif

hows the weather over there??
914_teener
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 17 2009, 03:43 PM) *

whats up doc? smile.gif

hows the weather over there??

100 degrees..... surf is about 2-4 from the West. Perfect for taken the top off.

beerchug.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 17 2009, 03:39 PM) *

I am in the process of making my own how to video...

WHAT!!! We're getting schooled in transmission repair by a TV star!!! And we're doing this only a few miles from Hollywood???

I'm starting to feel sort of special, and for once not in a short-bus kinda way...

lol2.gif

Eric
yeahmag
As I understand it we need to bring beer and wear bedazzled thongs if we are free loading. I found my thong, but what kind of beer do I need to bring?
jsayre914
the doctor does not like IPA.

even the most expensive IPA
stirthepot.gif
scotty
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:48 PM) *

the doctor does not like IPA.

even the most expensive IPA
stirthepot.gif

No Hops (or very little). Hates beer with too much hops. drunk.gif

Maybe a good Hefeweizen. beer3.gif
Dr Evil
Hefe good smile.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(ericread @ Sep 17 2009, 04:34 PM) *

I am in the process of making my own how to video...

WHAT!!! We're getting schooled in transmission repair by a TV star!!! And we're doing this only a few miles from Hollywood???

I'm starting to feel sort of special, and for once not in a short-bus kinda way...

lol2.gif

Eric

No thong for me...filmed????? You could get your Man Card yanked for that! lol-2.gif

SECHSER

Short clips here and there are fine, but I wont be posing for any as I will be running from box to box as necessary. Definitely no youtube or other posting, thanks. I am in the process of making my own how to video so any lengthy vids would kinda mess that endeavor up wink.gif I look forward to seeing you there smile.gif

thanks, you rock doc dude.. looking forward to learn sumpen in this mystery transmission zone from you..

say, should i bring my own gas mask..? or at least like burning sum kinda incense or sumpen..? i mean the thought of that tranny fluid smell just made me throw up in my mouth a little.. especially when there's gonna be a gang of cracked open trannies... icon8.gif barf.gif

or.. do i just sound like a sissy..? dry.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 14 2009, 11:02 PM) *

I''l be there starting 9-10am. There are less people at this clinic so we should be able to finish a bit quicker.

Probably less beer too.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 16 2009, 02:47 AM) *

Rich,
Ill send you one when I get back home. I have spares there. smile.gif

Not naming names, but someone absconded with my nut sack too. I'll need to order a seal kit too.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 17 2009, 05:34 PM) *

Hefe good smile.gif

Um... as long as it's an American Style Hefe... The Doc doesn't care for "bacon" in his beer.
yeahmag
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 17 2009, 10:13 PM) *

Not naming names, but someone absconded with my nut sack too. I'll need to order a seal kit too.

Ha!
montoya 73 2.0

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 16 2009, 02:47 AM) *

Rich,
Ill send you one when I get back home. I have spares there. smile.gif

I had extra nuts in my sack! lol-2.gif
Jakeodoule
The least of your worries is the gear oil smell.
The Doc has some mean farts going on.
I mean to tell you he cleared the garage more than once.
I believe it still stinks in my shop.... bootyshake.gif blink.gif huh.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 17 2009, 09:59 PM) *

The least of your worries is the gear oil smell.
The Doc has some mean farts going on.
I mean to tell you he cleared the garage more than once.
I believe it still stinks in my shop.... bootyshake.gif blink.gif huh.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

In case you ever wondered how he got the name "Dr. Evil"...

But don't worry. I payed it back. While shooting darts at the Horse Brass, I let rip an SBD. Doc went to throw his darts, and had to pull his shirt up over his nose. I was having a sip of my beer, when I turned around and looked at the board. His first two darts missed the board completely. That's when the beer came out my nose.

I made sure to load him up with all manner of flatus producing meals before I put him on the plane. We hit two Taqueria, Pho, Flying Pie pizza, and a Kobe burger at Rogue... not to mention we doubled the amount of beer he's had year to date. He should be ripe by now, and for days to come!
Heeltoe914
Morning all. One more day. Today I plan on making up a few workstations and moving things around a little.

Anyone is more than welcomed to bring your own Beer. or hit the 7-11 that is three mins, away. Yes its going to be over 100 this weekend so brings some swim shorts 5 mins, in the pool really cools you down.
ericread

All these guys with empty nut sacks... How are these guys going to fill their thongs? confused24.gif

Ummmmm. Actually... why do I care?

Nevermind.....

Let us never speak of this again...
Heeltoe914
If anyone wonts to bring some 914 swap parts thay would like to sale bring wahtever you like a part or two is cool.

a few hand tools wont hurt.
914werke
If you have spare 901 boxes bring um. The 2 spare trans I brought to to the PNW meet proved valuable. If we were more organized we could have stocked the Dr. with spare consumables the crew down there will likely need.
computers4kids
OK, I,m here with donuts and budweiser. Do I need anything else LOL.
Rotary'14
Leamon was/is a GREAT host for this event. Food was good and the working conditions for practically everyone (one guy had to use a shop cart,, but he was done pretty quick) was great too. Met a swell bunch of folks today. There still is Sunday if anybody wants to show up.

drunk.gif beerchug.gif
computers4kids
What a great time! I believe Doc said 17 transmissions got rebuilt...there were parts everywhere. I sure hope the one I built works biggrin.gif We'll find out in a few days.

Leamon, thank you so much for hosting and opeing your place. Everytime I see your garage stones.gif , I go home thinking how much I really don't need a living room and how nice it would be to have a few lifts.

Special thanks for all those who held my hand when it got ugly...especially Steve, Mike, Robert and Charlie...my elbow partners were life savers.

And of course, Dr. Evil! He ran the clinic just like an emergency room. I learned so much...thanks Doc.

Doc, what's the best way to store my extra 901 that I just want to hold on for a spare? Store with gear oil or dry. Make any difference if stored horizontal or vertical??

Lastly, it was great to see everyone again...and lots of new people. Mike from Arizona, it was great to get to know you. Good luck with your car and your touring of the presendential libraries.

Oh yeah...I should of brought a toothbrush to clean all those parts...becuase the Doc doesn't like grime. biggrin.gif

SECHSER
man.. this dr. evil dude is actually not that evil after all. in fact he's a pretty damn nice guy after all, and a great instructor on top of that. i had a great learning experience on how my transmission works and most of all what's really going on inside of my transmission. not sure if i'm ready to rebuild one all by myself anytime soon.. but i certainly learned a great deal on how to rebuild one, and all the special tools that's required to do that job. i'm sure ppl who just came to watch had also learned sumpen as well, but there's nutting like it when you're actually doing it as you learn. it was def worth every penny of it and then sum! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif thank you doc dude!

and of course thank you leamon for being a great host for providing the location, as well as all the beverages, food and most of all your awesomeness!!

oh! and how could i forget joe sharp's for driving all the way up from oc to cook them tasty burgers. thank you very much as well.

what a great weekend it was. i'm very happy that i got my original 6 tranny gone through and ready to be back in the car soon. yay... driving.gif
SECHSER
thought i share some pics i took..

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
SECHSER
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SECHSER
Click to view attachment biggrin.gif
astronomerdave
ya, it was fun. great working with y'all. Here are a few pics I took as well...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

xsurfer
Thanks Doc!!!

Observing yielded the opportunities to see all the good work and mistakes with your quick way to remedy them. The clinic was an incredible learning opportunity, meeting great people was the bonus to the event.

Gene Selger

Dr Evil
Now that Eric has his problem (with his gear box) resolved I can post my thoughts for this event.

Leamon, thanks for opening your house to us and being such a gracious host. When this idea first came up your name was thrown in by Joe Sharp because you had the set up and because Joe said you were a hell of a nice guy. Not only is that true, but coming from Joe, another very nice guy, it carries some serious complement power. I enjoyed hanging out with you and your friends.

Joe Sharp, its always good to hang with you. Thanks for sticking around town to give me a place to stay. Anyone in the area that doesnt know Joe is seriously missing out.

The rest of you, I immensely enjoyed helping you with your rebuilds. I particularly enjoyed bailing out the late comer with the electric conversion and the recently "rebuilt" transmission that was a TURD. I am glad we could resolve that. Thank you all for making the event happen and enjoyable.
computers4kids
Well, I installed my rebuilt 901 with the re-geared 5th "h" gear today...and low and behold it worked beautifully. No grinding, smooth shifting, and no funny noises! I even had left over parts...LOL, then of course one of my 901s became the bone yard for many...which was cool.

I can't believe how many rpm I carved off with the new h gear--somewhere around 500-700 at 65. I like to go to the Central Coast which is a 3 hour drive. That means my engine will have turned almost 100,000 less times in one trip. Thats' got to be a big plus in the gas mileage department. I was getting 20mpg, it will be interesting to see the mileage now. With 305 lbs of torque to the rear wheels there is no lag between 4th and 5th...perfect.

Dr. Evil thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! driving.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobBZn0m8x4
All,

For those that used a donor trans... and still have 'part's...I'm looking for a donor case. Ay help out there is much appreciated.
PM me with your info... Greg, I know you had one.. any luck with this request?

Oh perfer - LA area so as to save on shipping.
computers4kids
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 27 2009, 08:05 AM) *

All,

For those that used a donor trans... and still have 'part's...I'm looking for a donor case. Ay help out there is much appreciated.

If you use a donor case, won't you have to set the ring and pinion...which is expensive? Wouldn't be just cheaper to pick-up a donor transmission that you can rebuild using your good gears, synchros, and bands?

I do have an excellent case cleaned and ready...Visalia, CA.
914_teener

All,

I know Bruce had an extra case. I got a spare tranny in great shape from him....BTW the 901 fits perfect in the front of a 914! Wonder if they designed it that way!

Anyway...had a great time at Leamon's.... great people. Good luck Mike on your residency ...from the sense and events I saw at the clinic, you'll make a great emergency room doc. pray.gif

Rob
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 27 2009, 10:39 AM) *

All,

I know Bruce had an extra case. I got a spare tranny in great shape from him....

Rob

Thanks.. forgot about Bruce... he's just a few miles from me.
Dr Evil
Mark, nice video smile.gif Your happiness and hearing about how much you are enjoying your rebuilt box is what drives me to do these things thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.