Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
porsche914gt
I have a couple more to rebuild, so you can crayola me in.
Dr Evil
Done
Dr Evil
Sept 19th is the weekend smile.gif Just FYI. I will amend the 1st post later.
Dr Evil
Wow, you guys are a much smaller group than the 20+ up at the PNW poke.gif

I updated the list and added some extra rules at the bottom to help to keep the host shop clean smile.gif
Dr Evil
I have an idea of trying to get a group buy for 1st sliders since currently the cheapest ones are at Pelican for $435 and most of you will need them I bet.

Maybe AA can hook us up?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 19 2009, 10:43 PM) *

I have an idea of trying to get a group buy for 1st sliders since currently the cheapest ones are at Pelican for $435 and most of you will need them I bet.

Maybe AA can hook us up?

I can probably do it, but won't know until closer to Sept. Yeah, school and classes. dry.gif
JoeSharp
icon_bump.gif
Dr Evil
icon_bump.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 29 2009, 10:12 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

If there is another clinic coming up ..... I am there!!! My gearbox pops out of 4th 'upon deceleration only' otherwise the GB is fine ....... anyone have any ideas what needs replacing for this particular problem???
Dr Evil
This one is the weekend of Sept 19th. What do you mean, "another clinic coming up"?
913B
Hi Mike, I am considering to attend the clinic. I have a working tailshifter and another unknown donor tailshifter. The tailshifter shifts fine. But I have the stirring the pot feel. I have tried replacing the bushings, except for the black balls.
I would like to convert to side shifter. Would you have parts for sale to convert and does it cost extra for the conversion on top of the $300. Does it take the whole weekend. Wife and daddy duties. biggrin.gif

Thanks
Ted
Dr Evil
Converting the gear box is no more difficult and requires no more time than a regular rebuild smile.gif You just need the parts. Since you have another tail shifter you will need a side donor or to buy the parts from me or someone. The tail donor will likely have two good synchros in it and a good slider or two smile.gif
Dr Evil
OK folks, we are getting to the part where you start sending me your money (buying a plane ticket soon). I have a PM in with our host, Leamon and await a call with him when he gets time so we can finalize the details. At this time I am wanting those of you who are paying to contact me for my address and payment instructions. I would like to get this handled ASAP since I ma buying my ticket to Portland for that clinic in the next few days smile.gif

Any questions?
JoeSharp
popcorn[1].gif
914_teener
Bring beer for the host? And can you use a thong as the first slider?

Rob
Dr Evil
BTW, if you are interested in buying used parts off of me be aware it is first come first served so PM me and I will get you set up. We can talk about the problems you are having and decide what parts you need. Once they are gone, though, they are gone. smile.gif

If you have sent me your tranz issues already but wish to use some used part please re send the info regarding such.
Heeltoe914
I am still hosting no problem on my end. I don’t have my secretary that has been with me for 7 years she has been out of the office with a brain aneurisms?. So I am doing the work of two and its not fun 12-hour days but still better than she is, prayers please. But no worries if you don’t here from me call anytime. Anyone needing info / directions 818 2 six six 7 seven 74.
computers4kids
Mike,
PM sent on payment and parts needed for clinic

Mark
MZM
Hi Mike.

Sunday 20th no can do, but I need to learn. Can we rebuild a box on the 19th only or do I need to looky loo that day and get what is needed to do the job later? I can help with the Leamon BBQ or something to assist with $$, even if no rebuild in one day.

Breathlessly waiting your thoughts smile.gif .

Mike M
Dr Evil
Mike, We can get you taken care of. No worries. If I have to work late to answer all of your questions then so be it smile.gif
Dr Evil
So, here is a dilemma that may work out for some of ya'll. I will be done in Portland after Sun....I dont know what the hell I am going to do with myself for the week between clinics. I would gladly come down early in the week to hang out and work on cars if there were a place for me to stay idea.gif Give me ideas.
bel
Sorry if i am missing the obvious but where is Leamon's, can i get an address?
Heeltoe914
Ok. I will PM anyone coming to the event the address. Looking forward to having all of you over as always. BBQ should be fun. Anyone as fare as I am concerned is welcomed to stop by & hang, have some eats, Jump in the pool, Whatever its a 914 weekend. So lets make it a blast. So for refferance I live in Tujunga 5 mins from Pasadena. The 210 fry and the Glendale 2 fry are both 2 mins away. LOOK UP THE INTERSECTION OF FOOTHILL AND TUJUNGA CANYON
See you all soon. Or call 818 two six six 7774.

Happy Motoring.

This is my home so I will not post my address I am sure you all understand.
bel
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jul 28 2009, 10:46 PM) *

Ok. I will PM anyone coming to the event the address. Looking forward to having all of you over as always. BBQ should be fun. Anyone as fare as I am concerned is welcomed to stop by & hang, have some eats, Jump in the pool, Whatever its a 914 weekend. So lets make it a blast. So for refferance I live in Tujunga 5 mins from Pasadena. The 210 fry and the Glendale 2 fry are both 2 mins away. LOOK UP THE INTERSECTION OF FOOTHILL AND TUJUNGA CANYON
See you all soon. Or call 818 two six six 7774.

Happy Motoring.

This is my home so I will not post my address I am sure you all understand.

Understand but is helpful to have an idea the general area, thanks for the general location.
Dr Evil
Who is picking me up? Joe Joe? smile.gif

Also, if I come out Thurs is there anything to do Thurs and Fri?
JoeSharp
Hey Mike, I'll be on vacation. So my time is your time.
714 EIGHT MILLION FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY EIGHT THOUSEND AND TWO.
Dr Evil
Awesome! I am going to kick it up in Portland with Todd Enlund for a few days and then plan on coming down to SoCal early to hang with Joe smile.gif It will be good to see some old friends and make some new ones smile.gif
sbonthemesa
Mike, I might come down with three 901 trannies and a 915.....they have just have been sitting in the shed. They can be used for parts, or whatver.....PM me....

Minor problem, it's my 17th wedding anniversary.....
Dr Evil
PM sent smile.gif
Dr Evil
Alright you nut jobs smile.gif I purchased the tickets. No turning back now!
I arrive at LAX on Sept 16 and leave the 21.
Dr Evil
Updated first post with new payees smile.gif I also just dropped some serious coin on stainless nuts and washers for all of the rebuilds smile.gif so far I have 500 of each with 25 per box.
tod914
Mike is it possible he got trapped in the box he shipped you and hasn't been able to respond?
Dr Evil
Wrong thread, Tod :doh:
gothspeed
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 30 2009, 11:29 AM) *

Alright you nut jobs smile.gif I purchased the tickets. No turning back now!
I arrive at LAX on Sept 16 and leave the 21.

Where is this clinic going to be? I need syncros ...... who is gonna sell them to me?
Dr Evil
Its listed in the thread, I dont know the exact location. I can get you the parts you need if you PM me and sign up in time. If you wait too long I will not be able to get the parts in time.
Heeltoe914
Hello all here you go I see some are looking for more detailed directions Please PM me here or Heeltoe914@aol.com or call 818 two 66 seven seven 74.. But for reff, Foothill Blvd and Tujunga Cyn, In Tujunga thats 1 min from the location. Zip is 91042 off the 210 fry. lowell exit.
The last tech session we had at my home we had about 30 folks all 914 & such. What a blast we had and we learned to be careful about just posting a address on the net.
Dr Evil
What happened when you posted the address???
Dr Evil
Who is Ted Lui? Please contact me smile.gif
913B
Hello, PM you my contact info.
Dr Evil
For those of you that are able, ( tranz not in car, or car not needing it before the clinic) to figure out what parts you may need, I recommend you pull the stack beforehand. Instructions on doing that (for the side shifter) are in my rebuild link below. You can post pics here and I can Dx your parts needs.
gothspeed
I am thinking of removing the gear stack with the gearbox in the car and just removing the exhaust, valance and rear bumper. Is this possible or am I asking for trouble? ..... unsure.gif

BTW I will definitely need a gasket set with o-ring for the sideshift GB ..... smile.gif

Dr Evil
Yes it is possible. Click on the rebuild link below for links to a how to article.

However, you will likely do well to reseal your whole case since you will be getting a whole kit. It is not hard to remove the tranny.
Mike D.
icon_bump.gif
Went looking for the dates and had to go all the way to page 6!
Dr Evil
Dude, its the first line in the first post confused24.gif
bernbomb914
DR. do you do the ring & pinion set up also? I need the whole mess done a complete assy?
bernbomb 914
Dr Evil
Not at the clinic, Bernie. That takes too much time away from the stock rebuilds. I would need you to send me your box to do it.
Mike D.
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 19 2009, 01:44 PM) *

Dude, its the first line in the first post confused24.gif

I meant 6th page of the forums... smile.gif
xsurfer
I'm a spectator. Is there a list of refreshments to bring or is Judy doing everything?

Thanks

Gene Selger

quote name='Dr Evil' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:07 AM' post='1181332']
This will happen at Leamon's Garage on Sept 19-20 (Sat/Sun). The details are below smile.gif

The important stuff ( clarified 7/20):
*If you bring one or more gear boxes for rebuild then the cost is $300
*Spectating is free and you can ask questions (but will have to wear a thong on the out side of your pants so we know you are freeloading tongue.gif )
*The cost includes: gloves, rags, cleaners, parts trays, aluminum baking sheets for parts cleaning spots, sarcasm, foul language (when no kids around), etc.
*New parts area available through me ( I will beat any suppliers prices, let me know). Seal kits area available before hand for $40
*People are encouraged to bring cores to part out as people will potentially need more parts than I will have.
*The clinic is 2 full days and I will work as long as you do. I usually start at 0930 and go until after 2200 if necessary.
*PM me if you are going to be a paying guest and make sure to tell me which clinic you are going to attend.
*DRAIN your gear box before the event!
*CLEAN the outside of it a little. Not spotless, but enough to keep if from crapping up the place
*Bring cardboard to protect the facilities smile.gif

Paying students as of 8/5
- Cork (Paid)
- computers4kids (Paid)
- Carlilg (Paid)
- Greg Greenman (Paid)
- Eric Read (Paid)
- porsche913b_sp (Paid)
- bel (Paid)

- Banger
- Porsche914gt

Spectators (x6)
- dw914er
- yeahmaq
- 914_teener
- jim_hoyland
- ahdoman
- Rotary'14
[/quote]
carlilg
Hey Doc, I just recalled my speedo angle drive probably needs a new o ring and seal while I am doing everything else. Is this something you can supply or do you have a recommendation where we can find them?
bernbomb914
I have several sportomatic trans that contain the H gear should I bring them along?
Bernie Thomas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.