Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Dr Evil
This will happen at Leamon's Garage on Sept 19-20 (Sat/Sun). The details are below smile.gif

The important stuff ( clarified 7/20):
*If you bring one or more gear boxes for rebuild then the cost is $300
*Spectating is free and you can ask questions (but will have to wear a thong on the out side of your pants so we know you are freeloading tongue.gif )
*The cost includes: gloves, rags, cleaners, parts trays, aluminum baking sheets for parts cleaning spots, sarcasm, foul language (when no kids around), etc.
*New parts area available through me ( I will beat any suppliers prices, let me know). Seal kits area available before hand for $40
*People are encouraged to bring cores to part out as people will potentially need more parts than I will have.
*The clinic is 2 full days and I will work as long as you do. I usually start at 0930 and go until after 2200 if necessary.
*PM me if you are going to be a paying guest and make sure to tell me which clinic you are going to attend.
*DRAIN your gear box before the event!
*CLEAN the outside of it a little. Not spotless, but enough to keep if from crapping up the place
*Bring cardboard to protect the facilities smile.gif

Paying students as of 8/5
- Cork (Paid)
- computers4kids (Paid)
- Carlilg (Paid)
- Greg Greenman (Paid)
- Eric Read (Paid)
- porsche913b_sp (Paid)
- bel (Paid)
- Doug Madick (Paid)

- Banger
- Porsche914gt

Spectators (x6)
- dw914er
- yeahmaq
- 914_teener
- jim_hoyland
- ahdoman
- Rotary'14
SirAndy
What about MidCal ??? confused24.gif
Dr Evil
Mid cal = nor cal (even though it is in the middle). Check the master thread and you will see that only RobW spoke up. It is still possible, but I didnt see the numbers and I already did a tour there in SJ. I would love to come up again if you can find the people to attend/spend. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Post made over at NARP smile.gif
JoeSharp
I would be glad to help you out Doc.
RiqueMar
What is involved in a Rebuild clinic?
Trevorg7
As some may recall, we did this in Jan08 at my place in San Jose. While the weather sucked, the event was great. Mike did a great job and there were dozens of folks crammed into my garage to avoid the rain.

This is well worth the time and effort. Great learning from an expert, meeting folks and getting some really good work done to the car.

T
Dr Evil
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 16 2009, 03:14 PM) *

If you spectate, there is no cost. If you bring one or more gear boxes to rebuild then the cost of admission is $300 with the end result being 1 or more gear boxes that you rebuild under my supervision. You also get access to my used parts stash and unlimited access to me smile.gif
dw914er
im down to watch...

no transmission to fix (there better not be any going out anytime soon either dry.gif ), but would like to see the process and meet more teeners
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2009, 01:30 PM) *

If you spectate, there is no cost. If you bring one or more gear boxes to rebuild then the cost of admission is $300 with the end result being 1 or more gear boxes that you rebuild under my supervision. You also get access to my used parts stash and unlimited access to me smile.gif

hmmmmm...... idea.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, I bring all the special tools for you all to use as well smile.gif Seal kits can be purchased ahead of time for $40 ea.
yeahmag
Depending on the number of "takers" I could also host one.

-Aaron
RiqueMar
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 16 2009, 04:00 PM) *

Depending on the number of "takers" I could also host one.

-Aaron

Looks like I'll have to start putting money back into the Starving Students fund, because this sounds really cool
smj
Tempting...
banger
Count me in, I have a side shift that needs rebuilding, and a tail shift which can be used for parts.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2009, 01:30 PM) *

Guys - don't hesitate!

The $300 is well worth it. I am telling you from experience, if you have never cracked a tranny case and rebuilt one on your own, do it!

I came away with the best shifting tranny - not to mention the tail to side conversion.

The only thing I regret was being to drunk to remember half the stuff Mike taught me.

T
carlilg
Great! Glad we talked you into it!

I believe my only real issue is first gear, but this is a great opportunity to figure out what's going on in my gearbox. Should I plan on purchasing synchros before, or will you have those available along with the used parts you will be bringing?
VOX
i'm down to come watch, i have a transmission that probably needs rebuilding but i cant afford it. hopefully i'll learn how to open one up and check to see if its good myself.
Heeltoe914
I will be happy to host with my girls Judy supplying Costco food and drinks.

Have Pool, small garage, tools, and Compressor & No trans to work on. But we have parking.

Forgot its SOCAL I have a BBQ. His name is Joe.

Will I have to pay?
PanelBilly
Is PNW out now or did I miss something?
JoeSharp
Lea: Your place is perfect for this. I think that Mikie's only prob would be the bed. He has a place to sleep here.
echocanyons
What is the date?

I'm be interested in another lesson Mike.

Leamon, your place looks like a great spot.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(carlilg @ Jun 16 2009, 10:28 PM) *

Great! Glad we talked you into it!

I believe my only real issue is first gear, but this is a great opportunity to figure out what's going on in my gearbox. Should I plan on purchasing synchros before, or will you have those available along with the used parts you will be bringing?

Purchase before may be wise, but it is a case by case basis. I have access to all parts at discount prices so order from me.
VOX
can i host it and get a free admission! =D i've got umm parking space for like 10 cars + street parking and a bbq grill. no indoor garage tho =/
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 17 2009, 12:12 AM) *

I will be happy to host with my girls Judy supplying Costco food and drinks.

Have Pool, small garage, tools, and Compressor & No trans to work on. But we have parking.

Forgot its SOCAL I have a BBQ. His name is Joe.

Will I have to pay?

Sweet smile.gif I like that.

I mentioned in the master thread, but if you host you pay nothing. You get a free rebuild basically for the cost of parts and of puttingup with me for a few days smile.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 17 2009, 12:29 AM) *

Is PNW out now or did I miss something?

I am doing more than one, because I am nuts smile.gif PNW is happening and SoCal looks to be a definite. It would be best if I could do one right after another smile.gif I think after the 1st week in Sept would be best as I have the final test of my licensing exam in Aug.

Let me know when everyone is available.
Larouex
PNW, awesome. Portland or Seattle?

I will host the BBQ for all us if you are in Seattle.

Larouex
Dr Evil
Please post to the PNW transmission clinic thread smile.gif
echocanyons
I'm unavailable from 9/10 through 9/20.

Are we going to do two days again?

The last weekend in September would be great biggrin.gif
Trevorg7
Sweet I like that.

I mentioned in the master thread, but if you host you pay nothing. You get a free rebuild basically for the cost of parts and of puttingup with me for a few days

I did that once...he drinks a lot of beer, likes fresh avacados, walks on the beach, and to be held at night...OH and to be woken up very eary after little sleep by kids that talk A LOT!

T
Dr Evil
tongue.gif

Ya, Kelly. It really needs to be 2 days or it is too much like a sweat shop.
Dr Evil
Ya Trev,
is there any interest in the bay area again? I havent heard much.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Ya Trev,
is there any interest in the bay area again? I havent heard much.

I've been on the down low with that damn gioplastoma multiform, so I haven't been around much. Looks like some chimed in, mine still works great but I'd be there.

T
computers4kids
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Sept sounds good to me or even mid or late August...As long as it's on the weekend and I know ahead of time.

Mike, I have great shifting 901 but want to add an H gear for my V8 914 for highway cruising. I have the gear already. Is there anything I need to pickup before? Will we be able to purchase gasket sets on site as needed?

beer.gif
Dr Evil
Yup, seal kits will be available for order before hand. All parts will be available before hand, actually. I can get most anything for less.

I am looking for Sept also.
Dr Evil
By the way gloves, rags, cleaners, parts trays, aluminum baking sheets for parts cleaning spots, sarcasm, foul language (when no kids around), etc. are all included with the price of admission for those actually rebuilding the gear boxes.

For those of you definitely paying to rebuild your box, please PM me so I can get a list and plan accordingly.

Thanks smile.gif
ericread
I'm in for SoCal. I just sent a PM asking where and when I send my $300.00.

The good news is that I don't drink any more. The bad news is that I don't drink any less either... But I'm up for bringing a bottle of Tres Generations or Patron to the party.

Eric Read

Dr Evil
Joe loves Cazadores smile.gif
JoeSharp
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 17 2009, 01:42 PM) *

Joe loves Cazadores smile.gif

Yep!!!
Dr Evil
So far the PNW people have their shit together and have booked my first available date on the weekend of Sept 12th. It would work out best if we could do this the following weekend of the 19th so I dont have to fly back and forth a bunch of times.

Will the weekend of Sept 19 work for ya'll?
JoeSharp
Works for me Mikie. Now lets see if Leamon can do it.
914_teener

I'm in for the So-Cal event. Couldn't find the master thread. Sent you a PM.

Rob S
Dr Evil
Hey Rob, here is the original thread smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96574
Dr Evil
First post is now updated with pertinent info to help alleviate any confusion smile.gif
Dr Evil
I have updates the first post with lists of students and spectators. If you are not on a list or on the wrong list PM me and let me know.
76-914
Just found this on Craig's List - side shift tranny and tailshaft(mounts) look OK. $125.00. Good for class, eh? Go to craig's list/ southern CA (socal)/inland empire area. Search porshe 914. Or sale-g7jrn-1227589105@craigslist.org
If a worthless link appears or disappears; it's not my fault. I have an ignorant computor.
Heeltoe914
Sure Mike we can host. I am in my car at work but will look for details later. Sept, is good i saw 18-19 somewhere right?????? typing from cell.
Dr Evil
Right on! smile.gif Yes, that is the weekend.
echocanyons
If you do it the last week of sept. that would work better for me
Dr Evil
Sorry man, PNW is the 12th, so SoCal needs to be the weekend after so I dont have to fly back and forth or stay away from home too long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.