Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NorCal Transmission Rebuild Clinic with Dr. Evil!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
EdwardBlume
I'm in as a spectator.... I would love to clean parts if someone wants an assistant!
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Only a couple months until the Northern California Transmission Clinic with Dr. Evil... I only tell you this because it will be the last one EVER! Get your poo together and get ready because this is your last chance EVER! mad.gif
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Well? Do you want to be able to shift that thing? Get on down to the Northern California Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic and you will!
Don Melcher
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 26 2009, 10:33 AM) *

You can purchase parts through me if you like. The $300 is only for the class, seal kits are $40. Bearings and such often break, but I can not tell you to buy replacements until I know more about your gear box. I do not see myself having any used stock left by Dec as I have 4 clinics ahead of this one.

PM me with your gear box symptoms.

PM Sent on 8/28 - waiting with breath like bait for reply.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Don Melcher @ Sep 3 2009, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 26 2009, 10:33 AM) *

You can purchase parts through me if you like. The $300 is only for the class, seal kits are $40. Bearings and such often break, but I can not tell you to buy replacements until I know more about your gear box. I do not see myself having any used stock left by Dec as I have 4 clinics ahead of this one.

PM me with your gear box symptoms.

PM Sent on 8/28 - waiting with breath like bait for reply.

Hey Don,
Sorry about the delay. I just answered your PM.
EdwardBlume
Is the answer a hard core no on rebuilding an LSD?
McMark
Rob, are you installing an LSD, or just rebuilding a box that already has and LSD?
Dr Evil
Ya, which is it? If the box already has an LSD in it then that is not a problem. If you want to rebuild a stock LSD unit, we can do that to, sort of. If you want to install an LSD, that is a no.
ConeDodger

Let's hear your plans! What problems do you have, and what do you hope to accomplish? I have a newly built 901 with stock gearing, a billet intermediate plate, a Guard TB unit that I want to put MSX 3-4-5 gears in... I have permission from the guy who built if for me biggrin.gif I want to shift like this guy used to!!!
ConeDodger

What's it going to be guys? Grind or go??? Be at the Northern California Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic and it will be all go for you! driving.gif

Maybe you can make it shift like this one....
ConeDodger

So Rob Ways is a popcorn[1].gif but willing to be a sawzall-smiley.gif Who is going to claim him? Anyone??? OK... Rob is with me changing my gears to MSX! He already has a 901 geared like that anyways... rolleyes.gif

I mean with Rob's help, I should be done in no time... And how bad could it turn out??? sad.gif

JK Rob lol-2.gif
ConeDodger

I just fondled my MSX gears yesterday... What? Don't laugh you'd fondle them too if you had some... You're just green with envy biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

Shift like this guy! driving.gif See you at the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic in Sonoma in December!!!
ConeDodger

Don't miss your chance to find out what's on the inside of that transmission... The more you know, well... the more you know. That's not a bad thing! See you at the NorCal Transmission Clinic with Dr. Evil in Sonoma! Come on down, get a room, turn the wives loose in the valley for a little wine tasting. By the time you get back to the room Saturday night she ought to be just about right biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice. A-Team Nice. I like it.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 6 2009, 10:27 AM) *

So Rob Ways is a popcorn[1].gif but willing to be a sawzall-smiley.gif Who is going to claim him? Anyone??? OK... Rob is with me changing my gears to MSX! He already has a 901 geared like that anyways... rolleyes.gif

I mean with Rob's help, I should be done in no time... And how bad could it turn out??? sad.gif

JK Rob lol-2.gif

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 3 2009, 02:14 PM) *

Rob, are you installing an LSD, or just rebuilding a box that already has and LSD?

My race car has an LSD that slips from time to time. Its not bad for AX though. Since I enjoyed rebuilding my stock 901, I thought it might be fun to do it again with the race box, but I have 3 working 901s right now: 1 rebuilt Dr Evil 901, 1 4K mile LSD / new intermediate plate 901, and the race 901 with LSD. I should really just pop the LSD out and rebuild it...

Can I serve Margaritas at McMarks?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 9 2009, 08:11 PM) *

Can I serve Margaritas at McMarks?

I'll be the first to step up and say yes! hehe
ConeDodger

Got Shift? driving.gif
ConeDodger

Are you ready? Greasy paw prints all over the outside of your 901? Ready to learn what is inside? Ready for the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic? Be there! Then maybe you can avoid riding home like this later!!! lol-2.gif
jeeperjohn56
Hey Rob, and Mike , Have you got a list of you is going to be in the clinic for December in Sonoma? would like to make sure I'm in for the special weekend for the build. Also will need a seal kit to be used, please post a list John popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Sep 11 2009, 11:01 PM) *

Hey Rob, and Mike , Have you got a list of you is going to be in the clinic for December in Sonoma? would like to make sure I'm in for the special weekend for the build. Also will need a seal kit to be used, please post a list John popcorn[1].gif

John, you're in... Anyone who has a 914World name tag is in for sure! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

What could be finer than watching the 49'ers on the giant screen on McMark's shop wall while rebuilding your 901? I hope you're going to say NOT watching the 49'ers because McMark doesn't have a giant screen on the wall of his shop! But hey! You get to hang with the guys and learn a thing or three!!!
Dr Evil
I just want to reiterate that I can not commit yet. I must see where and when my interviews are for my future. I will move them around as possible. I will have a better idea come Octoberish.
ConeDodger

Well now you see why Dr. Evil is, well... evil. On his calendar the months all end in 'ish! Plan to attend. We will get the exact date when we do!
ConeDodger

Psssst... Want some good shift man??? Be at McMark's Original Customs in December for the Northern California Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic!
detoxcowboy
Could someone explain these clinics to a tranny novice?? I mean i would actually have to take my tranny out right there.. no big deal but then i am stuck at the clinic until it ggoes back in.. is it a 1 day clinic..special tools? what parts are available? bring your own tranny oil and what else new cv bolts washer available and what else? is there a lift there or jacks available ?? or is this just for race guys and guys with 2 trannys and 2 cars no daily driving 914 guys.. and by daily driver i do not mean beater but i have one sweet 914 but it is my only car so when i work on it i have to get it done to drive again.. interested but do not want to be stranded or go there just to for nothing .. well maybe to watch.. is the beer for watchers.??
ConeDodger
The transmission clinic will be pretty much a bring your transmission and leave the car home event. It will be held at McMark's shop which is in an industrial complex in Sonoma. I wouldn't leave my car there over night. It is probably safe from people wandering by as this is some very - very expensive real estate but, McMark might need parts! sad.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 14 2009, 12:58 PM) *

Could someone explain these clinics to a tranny novice?? I mean i would actually have to take my tranny out right there.. no big deal but then i am stuck at the clinic until it ggoes back in.. is it a 1 day clinic..special tools? what parts are available? bring your own tranny oil and what else new cv bolts washer available and what else? is there a lift there or jacks available ?? or is this just for race guys and guys with 2 trannys and 2 cars no daily driving 914 guys.. and by daily driver i do not mean beater but i have one sweet 914 but it is my only car so when i work on it i have to get it done to drive again.. interested but do not want to be stranded or go there just to for nothing .. well maybe to watch.. is the beer for watchers.??

Thee answers you seek are within:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96745
ConeDodger

Don't be an asshat and miss this opportunity. First of all, you get to meet and greet with the rest of the NorCal gang. Bag the virtual and get to the reality. Second, you get to learn the inside of your 901. Come to a better understanding. Last, you get a better shifting car out of it! Be there at the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic!!!
ConeDodger

Want to shift? Want to learn how to fix your transmission? Be there when the Evil Dr. Mike comes to Sonoma in December...
ConeDodger

A recent article in Grassroots Motorsports stated "You'd have better luck finding second gear while stirring your Cheerios at breakfast than while shifting a 914". Perhaps a bit of literary excess but still, the 901 is notorious for being difficult to shift especially when it is in less than pristine maintained condition. Here is your chance to shift better. Come to the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic in Sonoma CA in December. Leave happier!
ConeDodger

What is your plan? I got my MSX gears out and had them examined by an expert. I need new synchros and dogteeth. Better have it handled before December. What do you need to be ready for the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic?
Dave_Darling
Depending on the exact date, I should at least be there to observe. If Da Boss thinks it fits into the budget, I may bring the trans out of my blue car... I will have to promise her that it will shift better if I bring it, though!!

--DD
westgl
Put me down as a spectater

unless I can find someone with a good 901 gearbox & shifter they want to sell.

Thanks

westgl
ConeDodger

Shifting... We all want to do it. Some of us can. Others drive 914's biggrin.gif You know you have a problem. The first step is to admit that you are powerless and that that 901 box is ruining your life. The second step is to come to the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic in December in Sonoma California... Bring your wife or girlfriend (not both, we don't need the drama) and turn them loose in wine country. Everyone wins! You shift better, she shifts better lol-2.gif
dug
That is also my b-day. That makes three of us. I will be there.
dug
ConeDodger

Looks like we will be celebrating birthdays at the NorCal Transmission Clinic! I have to find a sponsor for the cake! Just kidding! See you all there at the Transmission clinic/birthday party!
ConeDodger

Sucks to be you if you let the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic pass you by and still have "issues" with your 901 box... Be there and life will shift smoother...
RoadGlue
Dr Evil, when might you be able to commit to this event? It's just a few months away and I need to know if I should start tearing apart my core boxes. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Randy,
I am considering this date taken for the event as of the middle of Oct. So far I have managed to keep my interview dates to mostly within Oct, but the emergency programs have yet to send out interviews which will probably begin going out Oct 1. They are generally flexible.

Besides, it looks pretty impossible to pass this up rolleyes.gif
RoadGlue
You're awesome! Thanks for the update. Darn it, now I need to dig out my gearboxes! smile.gif
ConeDodger

A NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic? Yup. Looks like it will happen... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

See Dr. Evil before he goes off to start his career treating the injured and infirm. Be at the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic! Meet the famous McMark and probe his brain as to why anyone would use a Mac. biggrin.gif Leave shifting better!
ConeDodger

Want Shift? driving.gif Be at the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic in Sonoma! If you're a sly little fuchs you can talk to McMark about that rust repair you so desperately need.
ConeDodger

Contrary to popular belief, shift doesn't happen. You have to ask it nice... Ask yours nice at the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic! You don't want your car to blow smoke like this because you missed a shift!!! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

Meet the rest of the guys who can't find 2nd gear at the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic... biggrin.gif
McMark
You posted the wrong graphic a couple days ago.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 2 2009, 05:29 PM) *

You posted the wrong graphic a couple days ago.

True... But your corrected graphic should say "The problem is right here". biggrin.gif
puff adder
Looking in Craigs List, for SF Bay area, there's a few 914 transmissions for sale from $150 and up. There always seems to be at least a couple available, always for really cheap.
ConeDodger

Don't be late! You only have two months to gather parts and get ready to go to the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic! I got mine! An M and an S and an X!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.