Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NorCal Transmission Rebuild Clinic with Dr. Evil!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ConeDodger
Mike,
I think it really isn't a problem for those of us with Raby motors or Raby kit motors. We have torque everywhere so when you grab 5th it should just push right into a comfortable cruise. The problem I have in California is that you can seldom get to 5th gear for the traffic...
Dr Evil
Its not a problem for any of the /4 engines. ZD is the stock 5th, but you will have to wind out 4th to get to 5th as Dave said. He has the most recent experience with such so if what he said was good for you then go for it.
DNHunt
Rob, I think That gearset is good. I like it on the street, I'll have it on a practice AX course Sunday although it looks like rain so, I probably won't find out much. Most of our courses we never get to the top of 3rd so I'm hoping to eliminate a couple of shifts and drive through a couple of corners in 3rd.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 30 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Rob, I think That gearset is good. I like it on the street, I'll have it on a practice AX course Sunday although it looks like rain so, I probably won't find out much. Most of our courses we never get to the top of 3rd so I'm hoping to eliminate a couple of shifts and drive through a couple of corners in 3rd.

Dave

Must be nice! I seldom use third gear on autocross courses here in California...
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Norcal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic! Sonoma California, December 5th and 6th. Get a PM in to Dr. Evil and send your check to the address he PM's back to you. Let Dr. Evil know about any parts you need so you can have them spoken for if he has them in his stash...
Dr. Roger
you should be receiving my $$$ Monday.

i think i experienced a loose shift fork on my backup trans.... there is hope. ;-)
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Just a little over a month until the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic... Get those checks in to Dr. Evil and reserve your spot. You don't want to miss a shift on this one biggrin.gif
ericread
Hmmmmm idea.gif

It seems to me the SoCal folks sent their checks to Dr. Evil well in advance of the event. Could it be that the NorCal folks are just a bit flakey???

Hmmmmmm....

poke.gif popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 2 2009, 08:15 AM) *

Hmmmmm idea.gif

It seems to me the SoCal folks sent their checks to Dr. Evil well in advance of the event. Could it be that the NorCal folks are just a bit flakey???

Hmmmmmm....

poke.gif popcorn[1].gif

Or, it could be that Dr. Evil just confirmed a couple weeks back that he could do these dates. chair.gif But thanks for the humor. Southern Cal people saying Northern Cal people are just a bit flakey! lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
Well, 3 non-flakes got their fees to me today smile.gif Jerry Sousa, Roger (who is now my new favorite and he knows why), and Don Melcher.

C'mon ya flakes, man up.
Dr Evil
JeepJohn56, your fee arrived smile.gif
Dr. Roger

I kicked myself in the ass when I missed the last Nor Cal class and I'm not letting that happen again. aktion035.gif

Question: What is a damn shame?
Answer: A 914 collecting dust. icon8.gif

popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Just a month until the NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic! Are you in?
RoadGlue
I am in as a spectator. Does the good, er, evil Dr mind if I take photos? I know this is one of the last classes, so I wondered how big of an issue that would be. I'm house broke, tax broke, broke broke right now. I'd be happy to throw a little cash at the event, but I can't do $300 until next year. sad.gif
Dr. Roger
I have a few questions.

What tools do we need to bring? I've never disassembled a trans-axle before and suspect I may need to procure snap ring pliers and probably much more.
Like specialty tools.

I read something about a gear set tool or stand to hold gear sets. I would like to pre-fab whatever I can that will help with the rebuild.
Got a picture of what your gearset stand looks like? =)

Roger~
ConeDodger

By now even my check should be in Mike's hands. Is yours? The NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic is coming up! Be there or miss shifts... driving.gif
ConeDodger

Just a month away! Are you all signed up? The NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic December 5th and 6th in Sonoma California at Original Customs. Meet the Dr. fix your transmission troubles and see Mark DeBernardi's Original Customs... A great place to get your Porsche troubles fixed.
Krieger
I think I'm signed up as a spectator.
Krieger
I think I'm signed up as a spectator.
Chris Pincetich
+1 for possible spectator, drinking assistant beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
I'm penciling it as a spector too.

For anyone on the fence, this is a great experience and a heck of a price for rebuilding and learning about your transmission. Do not miss it. cheer.gif cheer.gif

Its also should be way cool to see Mark's shop and meet one of the coolest 914 supporters on the West Coast.

Dr Evil
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Nov 4 2009, 02:16 PM) *

I have a few questions.

What tools do we need to bring? I've never disassembled a trans-axle before and suspect I may need to procure snap ring pliers and probably much more.
Like specialty tools.

I read something about a gear set tool or stand to hold gear sets. I would like to pre-fab whatever I can that will help with the rebuild.
Got a picture of what your gearset stand looks like? =)

Roger~

If you read the first posts in the links below to the the other clinics it will address any tools needed. As for special tools, I supply that stuff. No need to buy ANYTHING tool related smile.gif

Rob S. your check is here smile.gif

Randy, I PMed you. I think we can work something out. wink.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, where the hell am I sleeping that weekend? confused24.gif
Dr. Roger
If all else fails, I have a couch. I'm about 40 minutes from Marks shop.
Modest living here... ;-)
Dr Evil
I dont need much. A place to sleep and a place to wash my balls in morning. smile.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2009, 09:17 AM) *

A stock 5th for driving on the highway with MS gears is doable, but consider that you will have to wind up the car pretty high in 4th so that it doesnt fall on its face in fifth. For air cooled, no flipping of 5th gears.

I love my new 5th H gear thanks to the Dr.'s skilled direction, no problem from 4th to 5th. biggrin.gif
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 26 2009, 06:46 PM) *

I can't believe how many rpm I carved off with the new h gear--somewhere around 500-700 at 65. I like to go to the Central Coast which is a 3 hour drive. That means my engine will have turned almost 100,000 less times in one trip. Thats' got to be a big plus in the gas mileage department. I was getting 20mpg, it will be interesting to see the mileage now. With 305 lbs of torque to the rear wheels there is no lag between 4th and 5th...perfect.

4.5 hour drive to Sonoma from my place...I'd love to come watch, hang-out, if I can pull it off with work.
Mark
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 8 2009, 04:29 PM) *

I dont need much. A place to sleep and a place to wash my balls in morning. smile.gif

Couch and a coffee cup and he's good to go.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 7 2009, 09:47 AM) *

Oh ya, where the hell am I sleeping that weekend? confused24.gif

You can stay at my house, i've got a guest room with a real bed. biggrin.gif

I'm about 30 minutes south, easy drive up to McMark's.
bye1.gif Andy
computers4kids
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Nov 4 2009, 11:16 AM) *

Like specialty tools.
Roger~

No specialty tools needed, but if you have some of the following tools etc, I would bring them.
30mm socket for the obvious, but also nice for driving in seals
rags
two blocks of wood to stand your gear stack on when assembling...also nice to stand 901 on when dropping the stack back in
tooth brush for cleaning parts
magnifine glass for Mike's printed directions smile.gif
small flat head screwdriver (pry old seals out)
13mm socket & rachet
15mm socket
10mm socket
rubber mallet
razor blade to clean gasket surfaces
walmart metal drip pans...very handy, but not necessary
I thought I was being smart bringing a wooden dowl to stack gears on...never needed...you will have your parts scattered all over your work area...cleaning and inspecting. If you stack your stuff too neatly....expect to be heckled. biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobBZn0m8x4
Dr Evil
14mm not 15 mm socket wink.gif Large vice grips, large crescent wrench or 32mm combo wrench.

I am staying at Andy's smile.gif
ConeDodger

Yippee!!! I am so excited. Not really but it will be nice to get everyone together and learn something new. It occurs to me that I should have asked the evil one if he would mind opening this up as a tech session for PCA members. Too late to calender it now though and it sounds like we are going to have a crowd! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

Are you ready to get your wrench on? Got your check in? Made up your lies for when you call in sick? NorCal Dr. Evil Transmission Clinic is coming up December 5 and 6. Be there and go home shiftier!
xgrove
Hey Conedodger.

I'm coming along with Ron Wolfe as a spectator/cheerleader. Just a few questions about the clinic:

(1) Kick off time Saturday morning?
(2) Lunch: Should we bring or is a lunch break at a local eatery like Issa's planned?
(3) After party: Beers on site? Dinner?

We're staying with my younger brother in Petaluma and I need to coordinate "family stuff" to make sure everybody's happy, ifin you know what I mean.

Cheers.

RG
Dr Evil
Hey Man,
We are still deciding on how food will be done. I dont schedule breaks, take them when you need them. Start time would be nice if it could be 10am so I have time to recover from Fri night and do the drive from Pacifica with Jim. I will work as late as I am allowed.

My plans:
Arrive Fri late morning, hook up with Jimtab and stay there for the night with the wife.
Sat, wife does her thing in SJ, Jim and I leave for Mark's shop.
Sat night, work until cant go no more, bunk over at Andy's
Sun start again smile.gif
xgrove
Well, Doc, that's a good plan and I love a marathon. I'm pretty low maintenance so a gallon of coffee, a few sandwiches and I'm golden.

RG
ConeDodger
Mark and I were just talking about that yesterday. Yes, he is back and all married up.

We were discussing a small charge to cover the cost of some hamburger patties, buns, condiments, potato salad, chips, etc... Mark has a gas powered BBQ grill on site. I have a large ice chest from my boat that I can bring down. Maybe people can bring their own drink preference and use the ice chest to keep it cold.

Maybe we can get one of the spectator dudes to man the grill for us. chowtime.gif
Jeffs9146
Sat night, work until cant go no more,

How late do we expect this to go??
Don Melcher
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 13 2009, 04:56 PM) *

I have a large ice chest from my boat that I can bring down. Maybe people can bring their own drink preference and use the ice chest to keep it cold.

I have a big'un too... I'll throw that in the back of the van.

Here's Jack, the lil' brother to that R-Gruppe 911 - 2 less jugs - and I bet a whole lot lighter! (1820#) It is his sister Flo that is getting the trans rebuild. Once I get learned on this stuff, maybe I'll change his gears more in line for autocross.
davep
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Nov 13 2009, 05:35 PM) *

2, 3, 4 AM or so based on experience
McMark
Beautiful car Don! drooley.gif
Dave_Darling
Ah, heck. Looks like I may be out after all...

--DD
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Nov 13 2009, 05:35 PM)

2, 3, 4 AM or so based on experience

I guess I am not going to be able to make it! I have to be in San Ramon at 7:00pm on Saturday night!

If the clinic time ends earlier and the rest is just party then I can come but otherwise I am out!
Dr Evil
What time frame do you have and what are you looking to do, Jeff? I can get you out fast if that is what you need.
Jeffs9146
My box shifts well but has a wine that gets louder and softer depending on the speed. It does not make any difference what gear I am in.

It started when I dropped the car off for a PPI and when the mechanic gave it back it had a major oil leak and the wine! I think he missed a high rev shift or something.

Thats all I know!

I can be there all day from whenever early to about 6 maybe 6:30 on Sat and all day on Sunday with no restrictions!

Let me know if that works and I will put the check back in the mail box, I pulled it out yesterday afternoon when I started reading about it going into the wii beer.gif hours of the night.
Dr Evil
Your hours are fine, Jeff. I'll get you set up.
Jeffs9146
Thanks, I will put the check in the mail again tomorrow!!
jeeperjohn56
Hey Mark!!! Do we need to bring a work table or anything to work on? saw horse's and a top? Or will you have enough place's to work on? John
McMark
A few folding tables will be great!
Dr Evil
Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Jeffs9146
Check in the mail!! drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.