Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NorCal Transmission Rebuild Clinic with Dr. Evil!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Borderline
I was an observer at The Doc's clinic in San Jose a couple years ago and think it is probably time for a little refresher course. I hope to make it by on Sunday.
ConeDodger
I just got off the phone with Al Weidman who is coming down to spectate this weekend. He brings up a good question. What time are we getting started?
Dr Evil
Trying for 9am depending on traffic and hangover status from Jim Tab's house smile.gif Dont start without me! 7 hours until we leave for the airport....I bought a separate case for my parts and tools. Its a small rolling back pack that weighs about 50#. I am bringing LOTS of parts, but I only have 1 out put bearing so the core boxes will be needed for sure. I had people buy up all of my spares and pulled one from a core today so I would at least have one for Jim if he needed it.
We plan on dropping Jim's gearbox there, fix, reassemble, reinstall smile.gif all in the first day.
Dr Evil
Crap, I cant find some parts I had. If anyone has 2 cone screws and an extra CV/flange gasket please bring them. dry.gif
McMark
I know I have the CV gaskets. Think I have the cone screws.
biosurfer1
I know that Mark knows he has the CV gaskets too;)
mightyohm
Will try to swing by sometime this weekend!
Dr Evil
4am....on our way in T-15min :zombie:
Don Melcher
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 3 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Trying for 9am depending on traffic and hangover status from Jim Tab's house smile.gif

It was 10 AM here. WTF.gif I'll get going earlier and shoot for between 9 & 10.
xgrove
I probably should have thrown this out earlier but I'm bring about 25 pounds of pulled pork, a couple gallons of beans, buns, sauce and about 5 pounds of Rolaids for lunch on Saturday.

If there are other plans, lemme know.

RG
SirAndy
QUOTE(xgrove @ Dec 4 2009, 09:20 AM) *

I probably should have thrown this out earlier but I'm bring about 25 pounds of pulled pork, a couple gallons of beans, buns, sauce and about 5 pounds of Rolaids for lunch on Saturday.

chowtime.gif thumb3d.gif

Btw. McMark, do you have HEAT at your place? Looks like it's going to be on the chill side ...
:freeze: Andy
McMark
I have CV Gaskets.
I have heat.
I do not have cone screws.

If anyone has folding tables and is capable of bringing them, please do. There are 13+ builders and so the more tables the better.
SirAndy
I'll bring coffee and a grinder. And i don't want you anywhere near that coffee machine! lol-2.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 4 2009, 12:15 PM) *

I have CV Gaskets.
I have heat.

If anyone has folding tables and is capable of bringing them, please do. There are 13+ builders and so the more tables the better.

I have a great table for someone I used for the last rebuild clinic... its adjustable and opens up in the middle so you can set the tranny ass up on the bench without having to worry about the main shaft. I can bring it for one lucky person with one stip... bring it or have it brought to Pleasanton...

Let me know...

I also may have a couple cone screws laying around.

RoadGlue
Doug and I are bringing tables and chairs for ourselves, so that should free up space for others on what Mark already has. I'll can also swing by Safeway or WholePaycheck on the way in to pick up some additional grub. Anything needed in particular?

I think we're planning on rolling in at 10 AM.

smile.gif
Don Melcher
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 4 2009, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 4 2009, 12:15 PM) *

I have CV Gaskets.
I have heat.

I have a great table for someone I used for the last rebuild clinic... its adjustable and opens up in the middle so you can set the tranny ass up on the bench without having to worry about the main shaft. I can bring it for one lucky person with one stip... bring it or have it brought to Pleasanton...

Let me know...

If u mean bring it back to Plesanton, I can do that (if it be next Mon or Tues).
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 4 2009, 01:42 PM)

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 4 2009, 12:15 PM)

I have CV Gaskets.
I have heat.

Let me know...

If u mean bring it back to Plesanton, I can do that (if it be next Mon or Tues).

I will be returning to Danville on Sunday night and heading to Discovery Bay on Monday morning so I can drop it in Ptown on my way if need be!
xgrove
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 4 2009, 12:17 PM) *

I'll bring coffee and a grinder. And i don't want you anywhere near that coffee machine! lol-2.gif

Hey sir. I promised Mark that I'm bring a pound of ground coffee. So unless you're really picky (it's Starbucks) don't bother.

RG
jeeperjohn56
I'm bringing a folding table and chair for me, to free up table space,also some burgers and buns, chips, maybe some one could bring the fixings for the burgers. willtry to be there around 9:30 - 10:00. Any one need a ride from or near Antioch call me (925) 706-8628 John
Borderline
I'm looking for a good core to rebuild on my own. I'll be there on Sunday, if anyone has a good core that they want to sell. Bring it.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Borderline @ Dec 4 2009, 05:02 PM) *

I'm looking for a good core to rebuild on my own. I'll be there on Sunday, if anyone has a good core that they want to sell. Bring it.

I'm bringing an extra which I will probably be pillaging a couple of bearings out of.

Dunno if that helps but, if so, we can work out a deal fo' sho'. =)
ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 3 2009, 05:53 PM) *

Trying for 9am depending on traffic and hangover status from Jim Tab's house smile.gif Dont start without me!

WRONG!!!

Do start without the Dr.

The more you have disassembled and cleaned by the time the Dr. rolls in, the more time you will have with the Dr. to work on replacement and reassembly. And don't worry about keeping the gear parts together, the Dr. will move everything around anyway.

BTW: Make sure your completely disassemble the gear casettes and really, really clean them or risk being sent back to your cleaning tank.

Have fun everybody!

McMark
The shop is officially As-Clean-As-Its-Gonna-Get. cool.gif

Andy, I bought some filters and used those and it seemed to make better coffee. confused24.gif Good thing I can build cars better than I can make coffee. lol-2.gif

See everyone tomorrow!
Dave_Darling
Feh. I'm sick, so I will be attending neither the clinic nor the other activities that were scheduled for this weekend.

--DD
ConeDodger
My table is out. Yopu has appointments so she needs the 4Runner. I had to beg a ride with Jim Dupree because ironically and tragically, I blew the hell out of the 915 in the Carrera tonight on my way home. sad.gif
jgara962
I'm hoping to stop by around 10 for a little while.
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
RoadGlue
Pics! Well, they're uploading now and will be finished by 1 AM:
http://pixelrandy.zenfolio.com/evil_clinic

I can't thank Mike (Dr Evil) and Mark enough for putting this together. Had a great day, got a lot done and learned a lot too. Lunch was fantastic and whoever brought the pulled pork is a hero in my book. smile.gif

I went through three of my 901s before finding a gearstack worth digging into. Lots of high mileage junk with broken bits in the first two. barf.gif

I left Sonoma around 8 tonight and there were still a bunch of guys working and drinking beer. I need to return tomorrow to have the shift forks aligned and then to put the stack back into the housing. Almost done though and it looks like it's going to be awesome! My last gearbox for Blue had 350K miles on it and when under load was louder than the motor.

Hope everyone else had success today and it was great getting to reconnect with those of you I hadn't seen in a while! We should do this sort of thing more often.

I'll be back around 10-11 tomorrow. Night night,
Richard Casto
Nice photos Randy!
ConeDodger
Jim and I got my gear change done and headed home by about 9pm. Stopped and had dinner at Chili's and hit the bed back in Sac by 11pm or just after. (well, mostly Jim smile.gif)

The food was great, it was great to meet new people, and better to see old friends again.

My back is killing me... sad.gif
McMark
Here's my pics from yesterday.
jgara962
Did you guys have a raffle after I left? blink.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 6 2009, 12:05 AM) *

Lunch was fantastic and whoever brought the pulled pork is a hero in my book. smile.gif

No kidding...that was xgrove and yes, it was beyond amazing!
McMark
Yup, RobW raffled off some goodies to help make the Mary Shotridge event happen.
Krieger
I had so much fun and I didn't even bring a box! Our people are great! Even the 912 NARP bitches are cool. The gear box is something I've only changed seals and flanges and even the tail cone. I kinda avoided. Dr. Evil is great. I learned so much. It may have been better that I didn't have a box because I watched him do 1-2 of the same proceedures. Then I helped others. I had my hands in so many peoples boxes that I feel a little....dirty. Thank you.
Andy
RoadGlue
Another great day in Sonoma and I came away with a fresh 901 box. How cool is that? Again, many thanks to Mike and Mark and everyone else who lent a hand.

Adding today's photos to the gallery. Should be all finished by 10 PM PST:
http://pixelrandy.zenfolio.com/evil_clinic

Ug, is tomorrow really monday?
Don Melcher
drunk.gif

Thanks Mike, Mark and all. Truly a team effort and a LOT of fun!!! Even if we DID have to hang out with you Volksche guys. beer.gif
jeeperjohn56
Just wanted to thank Mike and Mark for putting on a great clinic and the space for all of us. I learned alot and I know I'll probly will for get some of the steps, so I hope for the video from Mike when he gets it done. Nice meeting all the guys and putting face's with screen name's. We should have a tune up pary next including valve adjustment. hint, hint. Thanks again Mark. John driving.gif
ConeDodger
Did Tabor ever get back on the road and drive it home? biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2009, 11:00 PM) *

Did Tabor ever get back on the road and drive it home? biggrin.gif

Yep! He had it going in the earlier part of the afternoon. smile.gif He and Mike left the shop around 8 PM, so they should be have been back at his house a little over an hour ago.
EdwardBlume
Thanks goes out to McMark for hosting. Dr Evil for flying in and lending his expertise. It was great to see everyone, meet new faces especially the 912 crowd, raise $134 for the Shortridge build (thank you to all the bidders, winners, and one special exhibitor), and to everyone for making this a really awesome event.

Thanks again!
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 6 2009, 11:23 PM) *

Thanks goes out to McMark for hosting. Dr Evil for flying in and lending his expertise. It was great to see everyone, meet new faces especially the 912 crowd, raise $134 for the Shortridge build (thank you to all the bidders, winners, and one special exhibitor), and to everyone for making this a really awesome event.

agree.gif

thumb3d.gif Andy
Jeffs9146
agree.gif

It was a great experience!!! I learned way more than I ever thought I would!! drunk.gif

Thanks to Evil and everyone who jumped in and helped out where needed! beerchug.gif

OOOOhhh Yea....And Mark for the location!! aktion035.gif

And a special thanks to the Chefs chowtime.gif

I now have a working transmission, I hope!! piratenanner.gif
McMark
Thanks to Richard for the AMAZING food.
Thanks to Dr. Evil, 'cause got MAD skills.

And thanks to all of you who made the event happening by coming from all over the bay area to hang out and get GREASY! cool.gif
Jerry75914
...adding my thanks to Mike and Mark for making this happen!! Thanks also to Richard, Rob W, Jeff, and all the other guys that lent me a hand with my tranny... this was a really cool event, great people all trying to help each other out, and if anyone has ever debated wether or not to attend one of these...DO IT! aktion035.gif
xgrove
Jeff and Jerry
IPB Image

No vise? No problem.
IPB Image

Roadglue theater?
IPB Image

Jeff teaches a mini-clinic to Don and Dixon
IPB Image

Dr. Mini Me works on Walt's tranny?
IPB Image
Dr Evil
Noel and I are finally home and had a great trip. What a great turn out! I really enjoyed the 912 crowd and their added transmission oddities.

Richard, great food and I enjoyed meeting you.

Randy, great technical pictures! I will definitely be using them in the upcoming rebuild video as they perfectly show the important parts smile.gif I'll need to get your info for credit.

Andy, thanks for waiting for me on Sat night and for the place to crash. It was good seeing you again since it had been since '05 smile.gif

Mark, you are a superstar, dont tell yourself otherwise ( poke.gif ). If it were not for your generosity this would not have been possible. Thanks for putting up with everyone and being a most gracious host.

Rob Sime, thanks for being the catalyst for this event. You have done me and all of the others a great service in making sure this event did not die soon after its conception. I hope you enjoy your MSZd box smile.gif

RobW, always good to see you. Thank you for bringing the items for auction and for heading it up. Also, thank you for pitching in with some of the tranz work.

Observers/helpers, you are priceless. The observers always learn a lot and become like my left hand (the right one you dont want to be wink.gif ).

Everyone, I am constantly flattered at the trust that you place in me and work hard to deserve it. I was very flattered by many of your words and actions. You people make doing these clinics such a pleasure. Even though I barely sleep, work long hours, and feel like I was hit by a truck every night, I keep coming back because of the great people that I get to hang out with and teach.

I'm a bit spent for now, maybe more later.
al weidman
Dr. Evil you are really two of a kind. Thank you so much for your patients and sharing your knowledge with us. A great group of people, great food and great host. Thank you all. Al.
Dr Evil
Flattering picture, Randy dry.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 7 2009, 09:58 PM) *

Flattering picture, Randy dry.gif

Hey, you posed... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.