Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NorCal Transmission Rebuild Clinic with Dr. Evil!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ConeDodger
Gauging interest in a Northern California 901 Rebuild Clinic at Original Customs in Sonoma California. This two day event will give you the opportunity to meet Dr. Evil before he drops his tools and picks up his stethescope on a permanant basis. The event will be held in December or later.

You also get to see McMark's facility up close and personal.

If you want in on this, sound off here!

Details: (edited by McMark)
Date: December 5-6 2009, two day event
Cost: $300 to build, $0 to spectate (yes, zero)
If you want to reserve your spot, you need to contact and pay Dr. Evil.
Transmission Gasket Sets are not included. Order yours from Dr. Evil, GPR, or McMark.
More info is here. (post #160 in this thread)
McMark
Thanks for setting this up, and thanks to Mike for doing these things. What a guy!!! biggrin.gif

I have at least four engine stands so we can set up at least four transmissions for rebuilding. If there's more than that, we can use tables.
Dr Evil
December, eh? Alrighty. I wont have a solid date until the interview invites for residency come in smile.gif
Dr. Roger
do we have an estimate on cost? I definitely have a tranny or two that need some luvin'.
Krieger
I am interested!
Dr Evil
As for my side of things, the cost is the same $300 I charge every John, er, person. You can bring as many gear boxes as you want, but I do not guarantee that you will get all of them built, just one wink.gif You can buy parts from me, but I dont know how many used parts I will have left after the other 4 clinics. I must be crazy blink.gif I need at least 4 paid customers to be viable.
RoadGlue
I am 100% in. Can we nail down a date sooner than later?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 9 2009, 10:08 PM) *

Tough to get closer than that Randy... Mike is going to Canada to try to calm down the angry Canadiens. We will sooner or later go to war with them but we need to avoid it while we are spread so thin in Iraq and Afganistan, with North Korea rising... In October and November Mark has some jail time due to that indecent exposure charge... blink.gif We have to go for December. Obviously early so we don't compete with Christmas shopping... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
We have two that are interested and one who is 100% in... Who else wants to shift with ease? Can't beat that price! $300 bucks is less than 3 hours labor if you had this done in a transmission shop and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and becoming more knowledgeable...

Come on! Sign up for 901 Proctology 1 and 2! $300 and you are in!!!
tracks914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 9 2009, 11:02 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 9 2009, 10:08 PM) *

Mike is going to Canada to try to calm down the angry Canadiens. We will sooner or later go to war with them but we need to avoid it while we are spread so thin in Iraq and Afganistan, with North Korea rising... biggrin.gif

We sense you are getting thin and be prepared, as soon as we can muster up enough methane we plan to "fart in your general direction" bootyshake.gif
Don Melcher
Thanks for the invite over on the 912BBS. Put me down for a maybe on a rebuild - the date is the key factor. I have a soft 2'nd syncro (doesn't everyone?) that I have been living with for 9 years.
puff adder
I live 10 miles from Sonoma.

I would love to attend, at least as a spectator, and I can also contribute some cash for the learning experience.

If things work out, I may even buy a gearbox for the occasion.
RoadGlue
I have a number of core gearboxes. I'm pretty sure that in the end I'll have a spare box I'd be willing to sell, but I need to take inventory of what I have before I can commit to that. The goal was to take apart all the cores before the event so I could get enough guts together to build up two boxes. Dug has a gear stack jig (if that's what it's called) that I'm sure we could use if having an extra around would be helpful.
jeeperjohn56
Hey Rob, My tranny didn't need it but I would like to come watch and learn. John pray.gif
Dr Evil
Extra jigs are helpful, sort of. It depends on how well it is done and how big it is. Most are just cut up cases and they are much bigger than they need to be wink.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, 912 stuff is doable as well wink.gif PM me if you are a 912 person and have questions.
RoadGlue
He had a plastic jig that I remember seeing. Something he purchased for Jerry Wood's rebuild clinic if I recall correctly.
Don Melcher
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 10 2009, 02:55 PM) *

Oh ya, 912 stuff is doable as well wink.gif PM me if you are a 912 person and have questions.

OK - thanks. My 69 coupe is pretty much OK - every once in a while it "nicks" up-shifting to 2'nd. I am thinking it is a linkage adjustment/wear issue. But my 69 Targa has had a sluggish syncro into 2'nd since I got it in 2000. Sweepco helped a bit. I am hoping for the 1'st weekend in Dec as November is booked for me and the only other possibility would be the 3'rd weekend in Dec - but I expect that to possibly be a problem because my daughters birthday is the 20'th and I am not sure of what may get planned with that and Christmas.
RonW
another 912'er here. i swapped 3/4/5th gears in my 901 and did a reseal last year when i put in my type4 but would love to hang out and spectate if that option is still open.
Dr Evil
Of course smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 9 2009, 10:19 PM) *

As for my side of things, the cost is the same $300 I charge every John, er, person. You can bring as many gear boxes as you want, but I do not guarantee that you will get all of them built, just one wink.gif You can buy parts from me, but I dont know how many used parts I will have left after the other 4 clinics. I must be crazy blink.gif I need at least 4 paid customers to be viable.

I have a spare 901 to use for the class, but my question - what's best / worst case for parts.

Also do you cover flipping gear sets and installing limit slips, like Gear Vendors?

Thanks.
Dr Evil
LSD = no. Too much time, needs its own course. I can discuss it and you will understand how to do it, but we will not be doing any.

Gear swaps are easy and yes we can do them that day if you have the sets. I have a sheet of gears on my rebuild thread that Aaron Cox made. It covers everything and you can print it.

I dont understand your question about scenarios for parts?
jcd914
spectator
Noun
a person viewing anything; onlooker [Latin spectare to watch]

December is always a busy time for me but I'd love to come hang out and be a spectator. I have rebuilt enough 901's over the years. I might be able to come up with a gear jig (metal OE style) and dog teeth pullers.

Jim
puff adder
What about 915 gearboxes?
roadster fan
Definitely coming, probably as a builder. Need to look at what the first gear parts are gonna cost etc.

Jim
Randal
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 10 2009, 11:55 PM) *

LSD = no. Too much time, needs its own course. I can discuss it and you will understand how to do it, but we will not be doing any.

Gear swaps are easy and yes we can do them that day if you have the sets. I have a sheet of gears on my rebuild thread that Aaron Cox made. It covers everything and you can print it.

I dont understand your question about scenarios for parts?

If I use my extra transmission for the class and take it totally apart I'd like to repair whatever needs fixing.

Neither of us knows the condition of the transmission before it's apart, but you've done tons of them and must have a feel for what it could cost for parts. I guess the best case would be zero, i.e., everything is perfect. The worst case, broken gears, synchros or whatever.

Thanks.
ConeDodger
My Guard TB equipped 901 will be coming apart for an MSX gear swap if it doesn't exceed the parameters of the clinic...
Dr Evil
I have a source for 1st gear sliders at $350, fyi.

915 will not be included as I will not have the tools and time to do them.

To figure out what parts you may need, I recommend you pull the stack beforehand. Instructions on doing that (for the side shifter) are in my rebuild link below. You can post pics here and I can Dx your parts needs.

What is a guard TB?

If we have a good heat source we can swap in billet plates if you have them. A bench vice is necessary for the clinic.
ConeDodger
Guard TB = Guard Torque Biasing Differential. Kind of like LSD but better for autocrossing. Moves the torque to the wheel that isn't slipping.

Guard is a brand name. Paul Guard lives in Auburn, just up Hwy 80 from me. I might be able to coax him down to talk a bit... Doubt it though. 914 guys are notoriously cheap and the TB unit costs about $1200.00 retail...

I just want to swap in some MSX gears to make it a close ratio box. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I realized what you meant by TB after I posted, but then got busy with a call from degreeoff which, of all things, is going to have me install a TB diff for him rolleyes.gif I just woke up wink.gif

I pointed him towards Guard. I like their stuff and Paul seems like a nice guy, and I love Auburn.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 11 2009, 08:40 AM) *

If we have a good heat source we can swap in billet plates if you have them.

Mark has an oven there that he uses for powder coating. It's big enough to fit a trailing arm.

IPB Image
Jeffs9146
I am in on this event depending on what day in Dec it is scheduled!

My 6 trans has a constant wine at any speed in all gears but shifts great! It started when I took it in for a PPI and the mechanic gave it back broken! My guess is that he missed shift??
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 11 2009, 10:38 AM) *

My 6 trans has a constant wine at any speed in all gears but shifts great!

Sounds like a bad diff or bearing. sad.gif
McMark
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 11 2009, 10:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 11 2009, 08:40 AM) *

If we have a good heat source we can swap in billet plates if you have them.

Mark has an oven there that he uses for powder coating. It's big enough to fit a trailing arm.

Yup, we can bring a whole gear stack up to 500+ degrees. biggrin.gif

I have this jig.
Dr Evil
Cool, that will help if anyone needs to get 1st gear off of the main shaft.

Also, I am not available for the 15-16-17 as my wife's birthday is on the 16 smile.gif

X-mas is out, of course so we are looking at early Dec thus far.
Jerry75914
I am definitely interested, my tranny has issues, and I'm clueless, but enthusiastic! It will ultimately depend on the date, but if I can make it in any way, shape or form I'll be there!

-Jerry
ConeDodger
I am inclined to call it December 5th and 6th pending approval by the other principals involved. Mark? Mike?

A lot more interest than I anticipated. For that reason, I think we should nail down a date asap... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
So, December 5th and 6th?? Mark? Mike? grouphug.gif
Dr Evil
Tentatively, yes. But, I need to see how the interview season is going to go. I need to get interviewed to get into a program, ya know? We can shoot for that date and I wont take payment until we get closer.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 12 2009, 08:12 AM) *

Tentatively, yes. But, I need to see how the interview season is going to go. I need to get interviewed to get into a program, ya know? We can shoot for that date and I wont take payment until we get closer.

Cool! What kind of residency are you shooting for? UC Davis has close to a million (gross exageration biggrin.gif ) residents spread all over the NorCal Hospitals...

Mark will probably not have a problem with this date. I will call him and have him consult his big brain sometime today...
Dr Evil
I want EM. If you have connections now is the time to use them. Otherwise, there is no way I am getting back to CA for residency, way too competitive.
lucid 914 dream
I'm in McMark! Thanks for hosting what should be a really cool learning experience.

Jamie
'66 912 'euro'
RonW
i have a jig like the one on the previous page along w/ dog teeth clamp/puller for use in a press if you need me to them.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 12 2009, 08:44 AM) *

I want EM. If you have connections now is the time to use them. Otherwise, there is no way I am getting back to CA for residency, way too competitive.

I know individual attendings but I think picking residents happens above their pay grade. One of my old paramedics has been an EM doc for about 10 years now. Let me ask him if he has some grease, his name is Kevin Mackey at Kaiser South Sacramento which is the newest Trauma Center in Sac. Just had their ACS survey about 2 months ago. Sac should be "more" open since we now have 4 Trauma Centers and 11 total emergency rooms in the metro area. Kaiser is building a new facility in Folsom which probably has a 2012 opening. Widen that by 30 miles and you can add another 4 emergency rooms.
McMark
5/6 sounds tentatively good for me. Since it's after the wedding/honeymoon it's a bit beyond my radar. But AFAIK I have nothing going on that weekend.

Plus ya'll can make me a birthday cake.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 12 2009, 09:06 AM) *

5/6 sounds tentatively good for me. Since it's after the wedding/honeymoon it's a bit beyond my radar. But AFAIK I have nothing going on that weekend.

Fine then... I am still calling you to consult your big brain though... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Which of you has a great shifting 901? dry.gif Maybe we can get Mark to talk about how to change out all of the bushings in the shift linkage... Pretty sure we can have a Rennshift car with Rennshift modified side shift linkage on display as well. You should be there. biggrin.gif
Don Melcher
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 11 2009, 02:03 PM) *

I am inclined to call it December 5th and 6th pending approval by the other principals involved. Mark? Mike?

A lot more interest than I anticipated. For that reason, I think we should nail down a date asap... biggrin.gif

I am (plus a fellow 912 owner observer) in if that is the date.
Dr Evil
5/6 is what I am shooting for.
Jeffs9146
5-6 should work for me!

Thats my B-day weekend also!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.