Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The restoration begins!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dlee6204
So its been a while since my last update. Lots of work has been going on... I'll add some tonight then more to come soon...

Here is the seam for the rear fender before welding it up
Click to view attachment

I had to replace a small section too. Sail panel holes were also welded up.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The driver's side also had some rust

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Everything welded up smile.gif

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Front fenders also needed to be partially replaced. Passenger side had some damage that was cut out before it came to me.

Click to view attachment

Replacement piece tacked on
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
My spot welds came out stealthy ph34r.gif

Click to view attachment

Seams finished off, bumper clip welded on, paint stripped. The side marker hole has since been filled too.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Driver's side got a similar treatment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Socalandy
Awsome popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
Nice work sectioning those fenders.
broomhandle
Holy crap, nice work. I thought i had horrible rust. but, your work has shown me a lot. keep it up! smile.gif
saigon71
Wow...awesome work! Keep it up. welder.gif
trojanhorsepower
Man Chris,

Looks like you got the right guy on this...

Doug, any chance random people could stop by and watch you work.

I am stoked to see another NC Teener

Pete
dakotaewing
What are you using to grind those welds?
Good Job!!
dlee6204
What are you using to grind those welds?

I use a 36 grit flapper disk to cut back most of it, then follow up with an 80 grit to finish it off.
dlee6204
Doug, any chance random people could stop by and watch you work.

I am stoked to see another NC Teener

Pete

Anybody can literally stop by anytime and shoot the breeze. I'm always up for meeting new people and talking cars. beer.gif
dlee6204
Here a few pictures of the front hood. Overall it had about 6 dimples and one bigger goofy dent. A little hammer and dolly work took care of most of it. No filler for this hood. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I should add that after I've gotten done with a repair, I hit it with some rattle can primer so it doesn't rust. All of which will be removed before I hit the areas with epoxy primer.
dlee6204
The Pass. rear fender has numerous dents and low spots. Only a couple of them will need hammering out, the rest will smooth over with some sanding and primer.Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In case anyone was wondering what happens when you powdercoat the body, the lead filler liquifies.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And this one has me stumped... There was a spot of lead filler underneath the targa bar. unsure.gif
dlee6204
And here is my biggest accomplishment so far.

The driver's side rear fender had a really nasty dent in the back. It was my goal to get the dent pulled out and repair it so that it will need no filler. It was a lot of work but mission accomplished. Tools used: hammer, dollies, stud gun and puller, metal files and a big ole shrinking disk.

Click to view attachment

After I got the panel into shape, I started filing the top of the area to get it smooth.
Click to view attachment

This shows some low spots after I started filing
Click to view attachment

More or less finished. smile.gif I wish I would have taken better pictures throughout the process.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
993inNC
Looks pretty damn amazing from my house Doug! We gonna take first at pebble beach with it biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
I Doug I have a basement you can have! Your a keeper. smash.gif pray.gif aktion035.gif
dlee6204
Got some work done on the doors. The passenger door had some dents and one small bit of rust. The driver's side had more rust though. Both doors though had large oil-canning on the bottom half. Possibly from the heat of powder coating. I got both doors roughed back into shape but they will need a skim coat of filler.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After some heat and hammer and dolly work
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
One small bit of rust... welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And the driver's door... the 'fun' door dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I started by cutting out the bottom channel completely.
Click to view attachment

I then cut out a strip of some 20 gage steel
Click to view attachment

Made a 90 degree bend
Click to view attachment

And used a steel block to form the U-shape
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Voila!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I welded it in! I smoothed over the welds and its now good to go.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
More oil canning...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
993inNC
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Dude, really, that is very cool! And the bottom edge of the door didn't warp with all that welding? I never even thought about cutting all of that out, just thought we'd fill it in.
Great work......
FourBlades

Nice repair work!

John
dlee6204
Lots of tedious work has been happening... I have been focussing on finishing the bodywork for the doors and lids. I started off by sanding everything, applying an epoxy primer over any bare metal areas, and then adding filler over that. This is followed by several stages of high build primer and block sanding. They have their final stage of primer and after I finish the rest of the car, I will wet sand everything down in prep for paint. I'm not going to paint it, Chris will find someone else to do that. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I also started working on prepping the rest of the car. I sanded the underside of the floorpan and applied some epoxy. I will add seam sealer and then apply a second coat.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
All sealed up smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Wow w00t.gif That is some serious work and nicely done. Love watching the progress of the build.
speed metal army
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 21 2012, 02:08 PM) *

Wow w00t.gif That is some serious work and nicely done. Love watching the progress of the build.

No sh!t!!!!seriously, crazy nice work and dedication. Hats off. aktion035.gif
saigon71
Impressive work...especially that door channel piece.

Keep it up! beerchug.gif

dlee6204
Thanks guys. beerchug.gif

The underside of the floorpan is pretty much done.

Click to view attachment
arkitect
Very talented repairs...it will be like new after you are done.

Dave
993inNC
Are we spraying the entire car that white epoxy Doug? That white will go a long way to helping the factory yellow really pop!

Work looks great from here BTW pray.gif
dlee6204
Chris, ill try to give you a call tonight. There's a few small things we need to discuss.
993inNC
Ooo that doesn't sound good!
dlee6204
laugh.gif I said SMALL stuff
dlee6204
I got the floors and engine bay epoxied and sealed. I'm being very thorough with the seam sealer but I'm making sure not to use too much and not to glob it on there. I will shoot a second coat of epoxy in the morning and then these areas will be done. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OllieG
Great stuff going on here, nice one!

Are you sanding down each coat of epoxy so the next layer can key to it?..or is it working without?

Ollie.
dlee6204
For the epoxy primer, I sand the surface with 80 grit and then apply the epoxy. You can re-coat the epoxy up to a week without having to sand per the tech sheet. So when the car goes in for final paint, everything will have to be scuffed up again.
dlee6204
I should also add that the primers I am using are from Southern Polyurethanes.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

dlee6204
UPDATE: I've been getting a lot of work done. I started by prepping the driver's side, hitting it with some epoxy primer, seam sealer, body filler, high build primer and block sanding. That side is pretty much done, just needs final sanding. smile.gif The cowl area also got done.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also used Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating in all the cavities possible.

Click to view attachment

What's left to do: Passenger side fenders and final sanding. smile.gif
Jacob
Great work! Thank-you for posting your progress. Very educational! Much appreciated!
dlee6204
Well the body is pretty much done as far as I'm concerned. I gave it two coats of epoxy primer/sealer and gave it a wet sand. Bodywork came out great. w00t2.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I used water when taking these shots. The epoxy is NOT that glossy.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Wow - very nice I can't wait to see it with color.
trojanhorsepower
Doug,

That looks great! What are you going to do next?

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.