Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The restoration begins!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
993inNC
Sorry, cross post from "what did you do today"

Here's what I did over the last couple of days. Gauges had old faded and scratched lenses so I new glass cut for them. The brake warning light plastic face had warped and shrunk over the years too so I made a new face with plexiglass and got a small piece of red vinyl sign material to place behind it. Also used a small piece at the fuel empty window. It was also faded badly and had warped. Found the tach bezel to be either brass or bronze. Either way couldn't get paint to stick well so I took it all off and I think I like the oddball bezel being in the middle.
Didn't take long to do any of it, just slow and tedious like anything else. I think it cam out pretty well.

I've dropped the upper and lower dash pads to get repaired at a local upholstery shop. The upper is getting repaired and re wrapped in black vinyl with fine yellow stitching similar to what would have been done on leather wrapped 911 dash. The lower just has one crack and the guy thinks he can fix and dye to match new upper.......time will tell! Hope to have it back the end of this week.
Ian Stott
You are an inspiration to a lot of us, nice work.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
993inNC
Well I too am always blown away and inspired by the people on these boards. There are always those WAAAAY more talented than me. I just do what I can and pay others when I can't biggrin.gif
993inNC
Been a bit busy with other things lately. But got my dash top back from the upholstery place and decided tonight I would put the dash back together. The shop gave me a good size piece of the matching vinyl, closed cell foam and glue for the fixed portion of the dash. I made a paper template of the dash top, cut out the foam, used it to template the vinyl (went + 1/2" more all the way around) and glued the foam down. Waited a few minutes and glued the vinyl down. I decided to start at the gauge side since it gets so thin and curvy on that side. Did the vinyl in 3rds because I was alone and didn't want to have too much to work with at one time. I think it came out pretty good.

Had the shop stitch the dash top and bottom joints in yellow to match the exterior color. know the purists will cringe but I really like it. Modernizes it up a bit and its somewhat suttle.
993inNC
One more. Sorry for the so so pics. Iphone camera sad.gif
993inNC
One more. Sorry for the so so pics. Iphone camera sad.gif
993inNC
Well it's been since Oct of 2013 since I've updated. So that you all don't think I quit......not the case. Been super busy and preoccupied with other projects, including putting a track Boxster together and replacing the motor twice!!! Grrr.....

Back to it.

Found a great father son team locally who are VW guru's and also drive a 914. They are now working on getting the car back together for me. Dropped it off this past Sunday and since, they have gotten into fitting fiberglass door cards, splitting brake calipers for rebuild, cleaning up headlight parts to reinstall. Just generally diving in headlong! I'm so excited to think I will finaly have it back in the coming months and will be driving it. Owned it since 2009 and it's been an up and down project. I just don't have the time or ability to keep attention to complete it and am glad these guys are local and I can help support a fellow car nut. Couple pics for your enjoyment. And a little tease on the direction of the wheels biggrin.gif
dlee6204
Chris, glad to see progress being made smilie_pokal.gif
JmuRiz
LOVE the dash, I'd like to have the same on my car, with Ravenna Green stitching!!!
Big Len
agree.gif Looks great.
CrashDown
totally inspirational build here....
993inNC
Thanks guys, been a looooong road!

Got my wheels back from stripper and found I have a nasty crack in one. Doug sent you text, need a few odds/ends.....

Need to find another wheel. Going to polish these. not sure if we're going to do just faces or entire wheel.

The car may be done soon, thought it may be a few months but could be as soon as end of August if all goes well!! Can't wait either way!
993inNC
Been a while since posting here. The resto thread has been sort of picked up over on facebook. The car should hopefully be done soon.
We went with just freshening the stock 1.8L, and put 40's for carbs on it (hopefully is a good combo). Decided to update the car's look by getting rid of all "brightwork". All trim has been powder coated black and I went with the rubber windshield trim. Makes the car look very 911. I think only those who know these cars will know what I've done, otherwise it just takes a few years off the age of the car. The only "silver" are the door lock tumblers............that's it! Polished the high points of the wheels, and went with yellow stitching on any exposed stitch both on the seats and backpad to match having done it on the dash. Also just bought a vintage 1979 Momo wheel to give it a period "custom" look.

Here's the link to a picture album, enjoy smile.gif

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...8734&type=3
trojanhorsepower
Chris,

The link does not work for me. Do you have to be a facebooker?
Hine62
popcorn[1].gif

Nice work! It looks like you know what you are doing and are good at it too.

Would you mind telling me what you are using to weld with and what settings? My car was never going to be a total resto, but I have some frame work to do. Just looking for some advice...

hine62
993inNC
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Oct 27 2014, 08:19 PM) *

Chris,

The link does not work for me. Do you have to be a facebooker?

You may have to be. And it's the only place the pics are at the moment. The guy finishing it (his son) is posting as they progress. Hope it to be done reeeeal soon. Been a few months now and I'm ready for it to be mine again biggrin.gif
993inNC
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Oct 27 2014, 08:33 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Nice work! It looks like you know what you are doing and are good at it too.

Would you mind telling me what you are using to weld with and what settings? My car was never going to be a total resto, but I have some frame work to do. Just looking for some advice...

hine62

I don't know my stuff, I know what I like biggrin.gif Doug Leehr (member here) did the metal and prep work, paint was by a local shop. Car is being reassembled by another local guy cuz I just don't have the time or patience and I'm hoping to turn this into a business with his (and other's) help.
r_towle
Sierra Madre collection
You need new lug bolts.

Nice project so far.
993inNC
Today was the first time since buying the car in Sept of 2009 that I got to sit in a complete car and hear it run. So excited to almost have it back. Can not wait to drive it. Been a long road to resto (no pun intended), but it's finally almost complete. It turned out that I decided to make some little tweaks to make the car mine. All parts other than the steering wheel are factory, just decided to "update" the look of the car. All bright work is now black powder coated. Front side markers are gone. Went with dual carbs (still have FI) just for the sound and finally I had the interior bits stitched in yellow to highlight the features. Love the way the car looks. Would love to do another but a 6 convert or a LARGE 4 cyl motor.
saigon71
QUOTE(993inNC @ Nov 6 2014, 11:02 PM) *

Today was the first time since buying the car in Sept of 2009 that I got to sit in a complete car and hear it run. So excited to almost have it back. Can not wait to drive it. Been a long road to resto (no pun intended), but it's finally almost complete. It turned out that I decided to make some little tweaks to make the car mine. All parts other than the steering wheel are factory, just decided to "update" the look of the car. All bright work is now black powder coated. Front side markers are gone. Went with dual carbs (still have FI) just for the sound and finally I had the interior bits stitched in yellow to highlight the features. Love the way the car looks. Would love to do another but a 6 convert or a LARGE 4 cyl motor.

Looks great! beerchug.gif

Congrats on being so close to the finish line!

Now: driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
993inNC
Well folks...............
It's been 5 years and 3 months roughly, and I can finally say "Summer" is done (mostly smile.gif )

Drove it home yesterday and to cars and coffee today (was a big hit). Needs a few tweaks and a few extra parts to make it 100%, but it's home and road worthy. Spent waaaaay to much, but hopefully the market on these cars comes to me and I'll sell it on maybe next year after enjoying for a while.
Cairo94507
Very Nice smilie_pokal.gif But you need to post better pictures than that. Pleaseeeeeeee.
cary
QUOTE(993inNC @ May 15 2013, 06:11 PM) *

Another little step closer today smile.gif
Got the trim pieces back and just had to see them on. Bought new stainless screws for the parts and put everything on. I need the little holders for the bottom trailing edge of the sail panel trims. Don't think I've seen them for sale, may have to make them unless someone has some.
And I just love the black on yellow. Going to do away with all bright work and go to black.

What is the black finish? Powdercoated?
993inNC
Cary, yes. All powder coated parts, no paint. Completely dis-assembled everything bright and had them coated. Just about everything on the car that is black is coated. Very little paint used.

Cairo, I can't take a good pic to save my life. These were with my daughter's camera and still not my best work. But you get the idea, the car looks great! biggrin.gif
cary
How about the door mirror? How hard is it to get the glass and trim out/off?
Is it just glued in? I've never taken one apart.
76-914
Duplicolor makes a black paint for vinyl and carpet. $8 and works great.
FourBlades
Congratulations! first.gif

I think I have been following your build since the beginning.

Your car looks stunning.

Now drive it and stop thinking about selling.

John
993inNC
QUOTE(cary @ Dec 15 2014, 08:55 AM) *

The plastic trim is a form fit, not hard at all to remove. I would say just be careful. if it feels brittle, it could break. I took a couple of glass out and all went well.
993inNC
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 15 2014, 05:53 PM) *

Duplicolor makes a black paint for vinyl and carpet. $8 and works great.

Yeah I need to get on that and paint the center pad.
993inNC
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Dec 15 2014, 06:44 PM) *

Congratulations! first.gif

I think I have been following your build since the beginning.

Your car looks stunning.

Now drive it and stop thinking about selling.

John

Thanks John. I think I was pretty awe struck by your talents and build too. I would love to get into the resto business and have made a really good contact for getting many item restored at reasonable prices, i just need to find a good paint/body guy local that I can count on and won't rape me. I have recently bought a 71 1.7L and a 2.0L 74, so I'm not without 914's. Both are drivers and I was hoping to make the 71 (in the worst shape) as my "before" with this car being the "after".

I'm watching the market on these cars. As next year approaches and Amelia Island goes by (914 featured car), the market should come to me and I'll probably look to find it a new home. If so, the 74 will get cleaned up and I have an '81 Scirocco S I'd love to see back in its original glory! Time will tell smile.gif Thanks for the kudos beerchug.gif
cary
QUOTE(993inNC @ Dec 17 2014, 03:10 PM) *

The plastic trim is a form fit, not hard at all to remove. I would say just be careful. if it feels brittle, it could break. I took a couple of glass out and all went well.

Chris, thanks for the info. What did you glue the glass back in with?
FourBlades
Looking forward to seeing your new builds...

John
993inNC
QUOTE(cary @ Dec 17 2014, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(993inNC @ Dec 17 2014, 03:10 PM) *

Chris, thanks for the info. What did you glue the glass back in with?

No glue, they're sort of a compression fit. Once you fit the plastic ring back in the the housing, it and the glass are pretty tight. There's really nothing to glue to because of the rod and nut that create the up/down pivot that comes in the side of the housing. I suppose you could adhere the outer most edges to the housing.......

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Dec 17 2014, 10:20 PM) *

Looking forward to seeing your new builds...

John

That may be a while John. I have sooo much money in this car, I want to see what the market does after the Amelia Island Concourse this coming year. The 914 is the featured car, if they continue to rise in value, I may attempt to sell this one and move onto another. I have an '81 Scirocco S I'd really like to do next (sorry not a 914 biggrin.gif ). With my other two teeners as drivers, I could still enjoy the car even if I sell this one. Plus I have some taxable events happening over this year, next and maybe 2016 so funds may be tight........ Time will tell.

With his siblings today out for a photo op and garage rearrange .........

bigkensteele
Please do a build thread on the Scirocco! I (and I'm sure others) would love to see it. I still miss my '85, and it has been gone for 20 years now.
993inNC
A little teaser to start the new year biggrin.gif
iwanta914-6
I see "Summer" is now for sale on the Samba. While the price tag is way out of my range, it's a steal with all the work that went into it. A 75 (with undocumented low mileage) recently sold on eBay for about the same and it wasn't nearly this nice. Beautiful 914 even if it is a big bumper...
993inNC
You are correct. I've put him up for sale and intend on trying to stick to that price. It's sooo expensive to properly restore a car, and there's no reason these cars shouldn't be worth the money..........
In the mean time, I've put 1800 miles on the clock and continue to do little things to him as time goes on. I'm enjoying the driving experience, so I'm in no hurry. I only hope others will follow me and help get the values up for nice cars.

Thanks for the compliment.
993inNC
And now he's on eBay for sale, do tell a friend biggrin.gif
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221951332363?ssPag...984.m1555.l2649
Jason74914
993inNC,
Seeing a pic of your new project, reminded me of a 78 Scirocco I had in the mid-late nineties as a SCCA racer. Every mod you could imagine! Had the European Hella quad-halogen headlights as well (not really legal here!). I dug around for a picture (literally dug through pics) and couldn't find one. But I did come across a pic of this VW that I owned and weekend raced....one car that may be more rare to see today than a 914!
FYI, I paid my way through school buying, fixing, and selling water-cooled VW's. Probably owned/flipped about 30-40 over the years.Click to view attachment
993inNC
I'd love to have a mint Corrado too. The only cool VW I never had back in the day. Test drove them new, but never pulled the trigger.
falcor75
Have fun with the Scirocco, I had a '81 GTI that was my first Project car.
Started as a $300 Project with the Engine and gearbox laying in the trunk and
looked like this after 8 years of gradually updating it.

IPB Image

When I sold it it had a 1.8T Engine and G60 gearbox and G60 brakes on it. Second and third gear with traction and you'd need a seriously quick car to keep up. biggrin.gif
993inNC
Beautiful Roc. I've always had a water cooled VW. My first was a 79 4 door rabbit, graduated to GTi, raced then as well, had numerous Roc's and couldn't pass up a free resto candidate. Hoping Summer sells soon.....can't wait to get on the Roc and 2.0L 74 teener resto
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.