Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The restoration begins!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dlee6204
Doug,

That looks great! What are you going to do next?

Peter

Thanks! I'm pretty much done with my part on the car. Just some small touchup/cleanup here and there. Chris is going to pick the car up in a few weeks and will take it to a body shop and have it prepped and painted.

Hopefully I will now have spare time to work on my own car... it needs a little lovin. grouphug.gif
dlee6204
Well Chris came and picked the car up today. He liked it, he paid for it, he loaded it up, and he took it home. piratenanner.gif Before he left I let him take my car through its paces as a little motivation. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Now I need to know what to do with all the empty space. idea.gif
Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
Put my car in it?
trojanhorsepower
Chris sweet rig! I like the fact that the rotissory fits with the car on it.
dlee6204
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jul 26 2012, 09:11 PM) *

Put my car in it?

I wouldn't say no biggrin.gif
993inNC
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jul 26 2012, 09:12 PM) *

Chris sweet rig! I like the fact that the rotissory fits with the car on it.

Me too biggrin.gif Its the only trailer I have that the car fit in with the rotiss.

The car looks great. Doug did an amazing job! I certainly couldn't have done even close to the same job (to busy, would have been in too big of a rush to finish).
Hoping to have it wearing color soon, then we really get to see how it turned out w00t.gif
993inNC
AND WE HAVE COLOR!!!!!! Woohooooooo aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Three years just about to the day to get to this moment. I am so excited, should have it back mid next week. Already have the suspension bits at the powder coater. New shocks, bearings and misc suspension bits on order.......should be a rolling chassis soon. Can't wait to dive in. First thing to go on are the big ass black bumpers! I know, not the prettiest but they are original and in really nice shape and taking up a lot of room in my storage shed. Already scrubbed them down, a little back to black for effect and on they'll go!
dlee6204
I'm super excited and it's not even my car! smilie_pokal.gif first.gif
trojanhorsepower
Looks great Chris!
993inNC
Thanks, it really does. Doug did a fine job. The fenders and door look amazing as does the pan and underside of the car. His cutting and welding in work was top notch. The body shop found a small area of work that needed attention on the hood and decklid, nothing major. Its a lot of acreage of relatively flat surface and was barely noticeable by touch let alone by eye, but this guy knew what to feel for. Can't really complain. Doug was great to work with, chronicled everything here (which I've saved to flash disk for future proof of work done) and did a waaaay better job than I could have ever thought to do. And was reasonably priced to boot, happy all around.
Krieger
Very nice work! It's hard to tell what color it is. Tan? Yellow?
Krieger
Oh, I like the bis ass black bumpers!
wrightee
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 3 2012, 01:27 PM) *

Wow, excellent work and an inspiration to get working harder on my project. I have rust almost identical to photo #2 above (driver side engine shelf). Question: did you form sheet metal to patch the shelf piece and leave out the small drain indendation (that looks like it doesn't work anyway)? Also, for the inner firewall fix; did you have to open up the fender for access, or were you able to repair this from the inside?
wrightee
QUOTE(wrightee @ Sep 22 2012, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 3 2012, 01:27 PM) *

Wow, excellent work and an inspiration to get working harder on my project. I have rust almost identical to photo #2 above (driver side engine shelf). Question: did you form sheet metal to patch the shelf piece and leave out the small drain indendation (that looks like it doesn't work anyway)? Also, for the inner firewall fix; did you have to open up the fender for access, or were you able to repair this from the inside?

The photo was on post #74
dlee6204
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 22 2012, 12:26 AM) *

Very nice work! It's hard to tell what color it is. Tan? Yellow?

I believe its the original color L13 (Summer yellow). Hopefully we can get some better pictures once he gets the car back. smile.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(wrightee @ Sep 22 2012, 08:10 AM) *

Yeah I believe I left the drain indent out of it. I can't remember if I drilled a drain hole or not. For the sidewall, I did not have to remove any part of the fender. I was able to do it all from the engine bay or passenger compartment. When doing the outer jackpost though I removed part of the door jamb to get a little more access. I didn't want to do anymore welding on exterior panels than I already had to.
nsr-jamie
Glad to see you got the bodywork done and some paint on it. Looking forward to seeing some better pictures. I sure learned a lot from this posting, thanks
993inNC
SHE's BACK!!

So after three years and three months of owning what was supposed to be my little driver, Summer is back and ready for reassembly!

I need to get it back to the body shop for some flaws I found and want fixed. Should have it to roller stage very soon. I have all new suspension, bearing and brake parts (accept calipers), and am ready to go..........if I could only find the rear trailing arm bolts headbang.gif

I'll get better pics tomorrow. I've already got the bumpers on, as well as the front A-arms. If I can find the rear swing arm bolts, it'll be rolling in no time
FourBlades

Wow, that is beautiful. smilie_pokal.gif

Too nice to put any greasy parts on it. biggrin.gif

Just leave it like that...

John
Cairo94507
That looks so nice! I can't wait to see some parts start to appear.
saigon71
Dude...your car looks awesome! beerchug.gif Great work!

I also picked up some of Eastwoods Internal Frame Coating that I plan to use in the center tunnel. What do you think of this product? Any application tips?

Congrats again, I look forward to seeing this thing get put back together.

jersey914
Beautiful restoration! Another one saved! Now throw some muscle into it!

beerchug.gif

driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif
bulitt
What trailing arm bolts do you need? These?

IPB Image
993inNC
Those would probably be them Bob. I found allen headed bolts that did the trick but I don't like not using the right bolts. figured I'd at least get started and could always go back and change them out.

Also have seemed to misplace a rear strut spring cap and a trailing arm shaft nut.......got lazy at the end of disassembly! Everything else is bagged and tagged.

John I'd love to leave it as is, but with two other cars, I need my lift smile.gif And it is too nice to put old parts back on.......but its what I have so.....

Saigon, you'll have to ask Doug about what he thought of the coating, I had nothing to do with it.

Jersey, hadn't decided what I'm doing for a motor yet. I have two and considered building one up and saving the other. I'm not going crazy though, I have the 993 if I want to go fast. This just has to look good smile.gif
trojanhorsepower
That looks awesome Chris! This car is really going to be nice. I will have to check it out next time I am down your way.
dlee6204
I also picked up some of Eastwoods Internal Frame Coating that I plan to use in the center tunnel. What do you think of this product? Any application tips?

My only tip is that it can be very messy! It dries pretty quick too. I can't really comment on how well it performs other than it gets everywhere and is a pain to clean up! laugh.gif
993inNC
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Dec 2 2012, 05:46 PM) *

That looks awesome Chris! This car is really going to be nice. I will have to check it out next time I am down your way.

Thanks brother, come down any time.
Eric_Shea
Looks great Chris. Stay at it!
Socalandy
Looks Amazing!!!
993inNC
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 3 2012, 10:46 PM) *

Looks Amazing!!!

Sure does! Got to thank Doug up there dlee6204, he did the body work on it. I couldn't have done what he did, that's for sure. I'm just proud to have a nicely restored ride. So many have been hacked or half ass fixed over the years, I think this car will really be something some day (hopefully soon).

I'll have some more teaser pics very soon!
993inNC
A little tease smile.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The production dates were apparently stamped in white paint on the inside of the brake dust shields. It reads 22/2/1975 so I didn't paint or alter them at all. The rear trailing arms used to have something similar, but I didn't tell the media balster in time and they got blasted off sad.gif

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
VERY nice!
jersey914
Nice tease!

shades.gif
993inNC
Okay this one was just for me biggrin.gif A little minor sense of accomplishment. Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(993inNC @ Dec 4 2012, 07:06 PM) *

The production dates were apparently stamped in white paint on the inside of the brake dust shields. It reads 22/2/1975 so I didn't paint or alter them at all. The rear trailing arms used to have something similar, but I didn't tell the media balster in time and they got blasted off sad.gif

My '75 still has the markings on the trailing arms. I can take some pics if you desire. Jeff Bowlsby has had rubber stamps made to replicate some of the engine tin markings. I am sure that your could do the same for the trailing arms.
993inNC
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 5 2012, 10:45 PM) *

My '75 still has the markings on the trailing arms. I can take some pics if you desire. Jeff Bowlsby has had rubber stamps made to replicate some of the engine tin markings. I am sure that your could do the same for the trailing arms.

Ooh, that would be cool! I don't remember what mine said though, guess I could just match the front, but not sure that would be accurate............hmm
Go ahead and post that pic if its not to much trouble. Thanks
bigkensteele
QUOTE(993inNC @ Dec 6 2012, 04:50 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 5 2012, 10:45 PM) *

Ooh, that would be cool! I don't remember what mine said though, guess I could just match the front, but not sure that would be accurate............hmm
Go ahead and post that pic if its not to much trouble. Thanks

Off the top of my head, it is a circle with a letter in the middle. There aren't any production dates on them. I have only seen that on the brake shields. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.
Gint
That's looking great!
bigkensteele
I apologize for the crappy phone pics, but they should be clear enough to replicate whatever this is. This is from the drivers side. The passenger side is just a white smudge in the same location.
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Blurry, but should give an idea of the size. You could probably recreate this with a paint pen.
Click to view attachment
993inNC
Today was for me, a triumphant day, one I've waited over three years for! An over cast day turned sunny for me when Summer rolled out of the garage on her own shoes for the first time since late 2009. All new suspension parts, bearings, rotors (no calipers yet).
Got to go back to the body shop tomorrow to address a couple of little issues I don't like and then I think i'll start with the wire harness. I also want to polish the rims clean soon so the car looks good standing still smile.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(993inNC @ Jan 15 2013, 04:36 PM) *

Today was for me, a triumphant day, one I've waited over three years for! An over cast day turned sunny for me when Summer rolled out of the garage on her own shoes for the first time since late 2009. All new suspension parts, bearings, rotors (no calipers yet).
Got to go back to the body shop tomorrow to address a couple of little issues I don't like and then I think i'll start with the wire harness. I also want to polish the rims clean soon so the car looks good standing still smile.gif

B-E-A-U-tiful work, man!
trojanhorsepower
Look'n good!
naro914
Hey Chris! Long time no talk!! been to the track lately?

VERY NICE!!! You need to get this done by the Fall....we have something planned you need to bring that to.. smile.gif
SUNAB914
Very nice job. Protect that paint as you put things back together. still a bunch ahead of you.
993inNC
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 23 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Hey Chris! Long time no talk!! been to the track lately?

VERY NICE!!! You need to get this done by the Fall....we have something planned you need to bring that to.. smile.gif

hey Bob, yeah it has been a while. No hadn't been to the track in a while but hoping that changes very soon (looking at a track '44 right now). I'm hoping to hit the '14 hard this summer if time allows. What's planned?

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 23 2013, 09:46 AM) *

Very nice job. Protect that paint as you put things back together. still a bunch ahead of you.

The paint guy keeps telling me the same but knows what the out come will really be smile.gif
993inNC
So I made a small step towards reassembly yesterday. After doing a quick tidy up of the garage, I finally pulled the car back out of the trailer and got it on the lift so I could park my Speedster under it when the 914 isn't being worked on.

I put the dash carcass back in and started running the wire harness. I've got most of it figured out as to what wires go to what accessory. I think before I continue though, it's time to stop and really take a hard look at the harness. I didn't use the one that came out because it is covered in yellow paint from previous paint jobs. I bought a used complete harness off Ebay years ago that came from a 75 or 76 car, it got stripped 6 years into its life. I should probably really look at each carefully to make sure they are the same or at least close enough for what I'm doing.

I've seen and subscribed to some of the harness threads I've found, but does anyone have any further wisdom to share before I proceed?

...Oh and I also brought the trim pieces for around the roll bar and door weather stripping to the powder coating guy to have them become satin black. I'm not a chrome guy, and since black trim and no sail vinyl was an option, I elected to go that route.
993inNC
Another little step closer today smile.gif
Got the trim pieces back and just had to see them on. Bought new stainless screws for the parts and put everything on. I need the little holders for the bottom trailing edge of the sail panel trims. Don't think I've seen them for sale, may have to make them unless someone has some.
And I just love the black on yellow. Going to do away with all bright work and go to black.
SUNAB914
Chris, would you please finish!
S/F
Chris
993inNC
"givin' er all I've got Captain" smile.gif

I'm hoping to hit it hard this summer, but i tend to stay busy in one way shape or form and with family stuff mixed in, its hard to focus on it. Think I'm going to work on polishing the rims and finish running the wire harness next.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.