Full Version: The restoration begins!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(993inNC @ Oct 4 2011, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Oct 4 2011, 09:06 PM) *

Woo Hooo piratenanner.gif

Progress!

I can't believe $1000! That seems pretty good to me. I wish I could bring them mine. I am trying to get my shop built so I can't spare the $$.

Can you paint over the powder coating?

Yeah I thought it was a great deal, since the first idiot wanted $1200 just to blast! I ended up having $300 in the first guy and I'll have $1050 in this guy once the two decklids and healight buckets come back, so $1350 in all. Now if I could just find someone to do the body work that cheap and well done, I'd be in business!!

The second guy is a 914 fan, has one in the back of the shop tucked away awaiting resto and two more parts cars, so I think I got a combo good deal.....he's a fan of the cars and hadn't done one before so it was an experience for both of us.

And yes, paint over powder coating. It gets prep'd like any other primer coat from what he tells me.

that's pretty cool- i could see if you wanted black, to do that in a gloss black.

Where is the shop in N.C. ? i'm down in S.C. , and eventually need to do the same with mine. (except i have some extensive rear long and jack point work to do.)
I have not found an experienced 914 body person here is southern SC., might be willing to transport, SC to NC not too far to do that.

enjoying the thread, please keep updating as work is done.

Phil

993inNC
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 6 2011, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(993inNC @ Oct 4 2011, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Oct 4 2011, 09:06 PM) *

Woo Hooo piratenanner.gif

Progress!

I can't believe $1000! That seems pretty good to me. I wish I could bring them mine. I am trying to get my shop built so I can't spare the $$.

Can you paint over the powder coating?

Yeah I thought it was a great deal, since the first idiot wanted $1200 just to blast! I ended up having $300 in the first guy and I'll have $1050 in this guy once the two decklids and healight buckets come back, so $1350 in all. Now if I could just find someone to do the body work that cheap and well done, I'd be in business!!

The second guy is a 914 fan, has one in the back of the shop tucked away awaiting resto and two more parts cars, so I think I got a combo good deal.....he's a fan of the cars and hadn't done one before so it was an experience for both of us.

And yes, paint over powder coating. It gets prep'd like any other primer coat from what he tells me.

that's pretty cool- i could see if you wanted black, to do that in a gloss black.

Where is the shop in N.C. ? i'm down in S.C. , and eventually need to do the same with mine. (except i have some extensive rear long and jack point work to do.)
I have not found an experienced 914 body person here is southern SC., might be willing to transport, SC to NC not too far to do that.

enjoying the thread, please keep updating as work is done.

Phil

The guy's shop is in Leland NC. On the web at capefearpowdercoating.com (no affiliation, just seems like a good guy).
There's a Porsche resto guy up this way, but his reputation is spotty. Knows his stuff but has been a rob Peter to pay Paul kinda guy in the past and I'm just not sure of him. I have so much going on right now and the car is in such good shape, I'd love to find someone to hand it off to to restore properly for me (at least body and paint). We'll see. So far I've owned the car two years and am now just getting to a workable state and now I have no time for it like I did when I bought it!

I'll keep the thread alive, don't worry. I'm inspired and educated by those here and some of the amazing work I've seen, will do my part to carry the torch smile.gif
mepstein
I'm curious about the powder coating. Your guy powder coated over the seam sealer, covered up the paper and foil tags and then placed it in the oven? Then he's doing bodywork and paint over the powder coat? Never heard it done like that.
sixnotfour
Once you smell powder burning while welding, you will rethink.
My local powder coater does everything , but the exterior panels . They simply blow it off before baking. Tags and such are masked and then unmasked before baking.
993inNC
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2011, 09:17 PM) *

I'm curious about the powder coating. Your guy powder coated over the seam sealer, covered up the paper and foil tags and then placed it in the oven? Then he's doing bodywork and paint over the powder coat? Never heard it done like that.

He told me the coating would not stick to the sealer and it seems that it hasn't (so far as I can tell). All tags have been removed and will be replaced as well as the ds jamb tag (with color code - new rivets await it's reattachment). The rear production date sticker has been removed (a new one has already been purchased and date stamp mimicked- can't tell original from new). The only tag left was the windshield vin (masked for blasting) and the ps fender vin stamp (masked before coating).
The oven temp was low enough not to melt the heat tubes in the longs but hot enough to properly bake the coating.
Its a really nice job! Will need a sand and prep for paint but not to much. As for bodywork, coating is removed before the work. The coating was for the sake of saving the remainder 75% of the car while the rest is worked on. Flash rust from the first guy's blasting was covering the car and I wanted that to stop while I worked on the problem spots. Should be no issues with painting over it. If I can keep filler out of the body, I'll coat the car the factory paint color too!
dlee6204
So I'm going to revive this thread for everybody...

Chris, 993inNC, brought me the car to do all the repairs and get it ready for paint! He dropped it off yesterday and I started to tear into it a little bit today.

The powder coating on the car is pretty awesome. It even makes swiss cheese look good and swiss cheese it has! Overall it is a pretty solid car with a lot of little rust in lots of places.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The longs have a little bit of rust which is going to be my first concern. I started off by removing what was left of the inner lower firewall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I need to pick up some sheet metal for the long work so I started to work on the firewall in the meantime.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And I made up a panel to replace the area. That's all I got done today. Tomorrow I'll do some clean up, weld this piece in, and get some door braces in before I start the longs.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 26 2011, 10:06 PM) *

And I made up a panel to replace the area. That's all I got done today. Tomorrow I'll do some clean up, weld this piece in, and get some door braces in before I start the longs.

Click to view attachment

Please get some mild steel 18/20 gauge sheet metal for your patches. that thin galvinized metel (likely 28 ga.) will not weld very good and will posion you.
Cairo94507
I know nothing about metal but when I looked at that patch I thought "that looks like galvanized metal and it looks really thin". Then I read the next post and went "whew". Someone that has to know more than me saw it too. I am looking forward to seeing this restoration done. I know it will be done right.
dlee6204
Please get some mild steel 22/24 gauge sheet metal for your patches. that thin galvinized metel (likely 28 ga.) will not weld very good and will posion you.

The metal I am using is 20 ga. Not the thin stuff. I do need to pick up some regular steel though.
saigon71
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 26 2011, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 26 2011, 10:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Please get some mild steel 22/24 gauge sheet metal for your patches. that thin galvinized metel (likely 28 ga.) will not weld very good and will posion you.

agree.gif somewhat
I was told a while back on this forum to use 18GA for structural repairs and 20GA for non-structural repairs on these cars.

Keep it going and save that teener!
dlee6204
Update: Here is the corner of the firewall welded in. I lightly coated it with a primer to keep it from rusting.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I next moved onto the pass. long.

Click to view attachment

Top layer of bad stuff cut out...

Click to view attachment

I didn't get a picture but I also cut out some of the substructure and welded in a new piece before welding in a new formed piece so everything is doubled-up for strength smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
Next came the driver's side long which was not as bad...

Click to view attachment

Bad stuff out...
Click to view attachment

New stuff going in...
Click to view attachment

Finished
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And for the record, I used 18 gauge steel. I'll be using 20 gauge for non-structural repairs such as the firewall.
993inNC
Wow Doug, looks really good! Can't wait to see more!
dlee6204
Got a little more work done today. I finished replacing the entire clutch tube and got the new floorpans fitted and tacked into place. boldblue.gif Couldn't find the camera so I snapped two quick shots with the cell phone...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SUNAB914
You rock Doug.
mepstein
You replaced a lot of metal. Do the doors still fit correctly?
dlee6204
You replaced a lot of metal. Do the doors still fit correctly?

Yup. The gaps and body measurements checked out beforehand and I braced the door openings before I started the long work. Everything still measures correctly.
dlee6204
The floor is done, the center tunnel welded in, cross-members in, inner lower firewall in, driver's side engine shelf and firewall are repaired, and a new engine lid latch tube is in. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
Before...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
After... I need to remember to replace the ground stud
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
New tube installed
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Patched a small area on the front of the long...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I also went ahead and removed the jack points. They will need a little work before new pieces go in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
And I started prepping to work on the hell hole... welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SUNAB914
keep going Doug, you are doing great.
dlee6204
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 3 2012, 12:48 PM) *

keep going Doug, you are doing great.

Thanks Chris

Got all the bad places cut out for today...

Click to view attachment
993inNC
HOLY CRAP w00t.gif
You've been busy (disregard the first half of my email!) Looks great, I may have to start working on cleaning up the suspension parts. You won't be much longer at that rate and I haven't even started getting ready for a rolling chassis.

dlee6204
QUOTE(993inNC @ Jan 3 2012, 07:36 PM) *

HOLY CRAP w00t.gif
You've been busy (disregard the first half of my email!) Looks great, I may have to start working on cleaning up the suspension parts. You won't be much longer at that rate and I haven't even started getting ready for a rolling chassis.

Yeah, get to work poke.gif
993inNC
Yes Sir pray.gif
dlee6204
Update:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
My welder broke last weekend so I haven't made as much progress as I would have liked. I got a new welder am back in business. I received a package this week from Restoration Design so I was able to get some work done today. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

More to come...
saigon71
Awesome work! beerchug.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 21 2012, 11:05 PM) *

Awesome work! beerchug.gif

I used your thread to find the correct placement of the new tray! beerchug.gif
dlee6204
Got some more work done today. I got the jack points installed on both sides. The sub-metal needed to be replaced before I could weld in the new pieces so it took some time.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I cut out a small piece from the door jamb to gain better access to the top.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The story was the same for the other side...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Germancar-Junkie
Ohhhhh, so that's what a long is supposed to look like! drooley.gif I didn't recognize it without the brown holey stuff??? huh.gif
dlee6204
I got the seat hinges in today smile.gif

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
I also spent quite a bit of time prepping the replacement rear fender. There was plenty of extra meat around the edges from where it was cut off the donor car that I had to remove. Just a little more trimming and it will be ready to go back on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Lookin good man!

Like the idea of cutting a flat access panel in the jamb to get at the top of the jackpost.
dlee6204
Update:

I've been working on a lot of little things lately. The front weatherstrip channel needed a little work so I took care of that.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The front trunk floor also has some thin metal with small pinholes. Welding them up wasn't an option so I fabricated and replaced a small section.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I did some work on the lower firewall too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also installed the front donuts.

Click to view attachment

I still have one small piece of the lower firewall to replace on the driver's side and then the jacking triangle and then I will be done working underneath the car. I will rotate the car and begin working on the exterior bodywork. I already spent some time on bodywork but am waiting to finish some of it before I post. smile.gif
dlee6204
Oh and who says there aren't enough spot welds on a 914... blink.gif

Click to view attachment
993inNC
looks great Doug! Is the rust on the pass lower fw flash rust from grinding away the powder coating? It's not embedded rust under the coating is it?
dlee6204
QUOTE(993inNC @ Feb 24 2012, 05:54 PM) *

looks great Doug! Is the rust on the pass lower fw flash rust from grinding away the powder coating? It's not embedded rust under the coating is it?

Post 95, picture 2? That's rust that was under some of the seam sealer. That whole lower edge though was replaced.
993inNC
Cool, what's the other side look like? Hey BTW did you ever get that ground bolt back in on the driver's side wall just above the engine tray release tube?
dlee6204

Hey BTW did you ever get that ground bolt back in on the driver's side wall just above the engine tray release tube?

No I keep remembering I need to do that and then I forgot to put it on the list. laugh.gif Consider it done! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.