Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Legend of the "914 S" & "914 SC"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tom_T
agree.gif .... Yeah - Thanx G.! biggrin.gif

I emailed my brother-in-law to see if he could translate it, but haven't heard back, & don't know how fluent he was when he lived over there, let alone reading! Next step was to be a college classmate.

From what G's friend did translate above - it appears to be the Appearance/Comfort & Performance/Sport Groups' options packages, as with the USA "914 S" marketing program.

idea.gif I still wonder if the top one in Jeff's red box above is Dunlop for: ...... 165HR15 ?? confused24.gif

... or maybe its Yokohama!? biggrin.gif

I think the bottom might say: "Tom, you're full of it!" shades.gif
Bleyseng
Part two says:
1. Pressure cast wheels/ 165SR/hr15
2. Special Metallic Colors
3.Special Custom paint colors optional
4. Contact Dealers for more options
ME733
.............This post and subsiquent submittals to this post , which seem to still be comming in, has been great. The longer this topic continues, it seems more people finally find it and make important contributions..........The topic title, legend or myth of the 914-S & 914-SC , seems to me, to have been settled. There were 914-S cars produced., and their standard equipment was more lavish, complete and extensive than any other 914s, produced...Is it time that the 914-S evolves from myth ...into fact?...I think so.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 9 2010, 04:59 AM) *

Part two says:
1. Pressure cast wheels/ 165SR/hr15
2. Special Metallic Colors
3.Special Custom paint colors optional
4. Contact Dealers for more options

Thanx again to you & your friend Geoff! biggrin.gif

Those sound like a few of the options then available on all models (1.7, 2.0 & 2.0S).
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jul 9 2010, 09:54 AM) *

.............This post and subsiquent submittals to this post , which seem to still be comming in, has been great. The longer this topic continues, it seems more people finally find it and make important contributions..........The topic title, legend or myth of the 914-S & 914-SC , seems to me, to have been settled. There were 914-S cars produced., and their standard equipment was more lavish, complete and extensive than any other 914s, produced...Is it time that the 914-S evolves from myth ...into fact?...I think so.

Fact - that the early 73 MY 914-2.0 with all the options included as "standard" in the base price was definitely initially marketed by Porsche+Audi in the USA (& maybe Canada?) as the "914 S"! biggrin.gif

The "Myth or Fact" line was only meant as a "hook" to pull people in, which it initially did so for some of the wrong reasons perhaps, some expecting a debate here, rather than presenting documents for what was "fact."

Initially in my first post I immediately "put to bed" that the factory never had the 2.0's badged with either "S" nor "SC" (AFIK).
- although I still caught flak from some naysayers who felt I didn't spend enough time/posts/lines on to "No" side - which I felt was a moot point thereafter - I mean "officially Nope ~ no factory badges" is no period, done & over with, fin, etc. - so why go on with it .... & I put it there first up! dry.gif

As far as I can document at this time to the satisfaction of O&H standards, I cannot show that any 73 MY 914-2.0 "914 S" in the USA/Can. came from the factory badged as a "914 S" - not withstanding that Murray's "914 S" had such a badge & perhaps others too.

By the same token it's pretty clear that there are plenty of factual documents out there that the "914 S" (USA/Can.), "914 SC" (GB) & "914-2.0S" (Japan) were indeed marketing names for the "fully loaded" version of the 914-2.0 model with the Appearance/Comfort & Performance/Sport Groups' sets of options included in the base price of the car (first half of 1973 MY for USA/Can & 73-76 for GB & Japan).

Also of interesting note is that the Japan market went on to refer to the 74 MY LEs as "914-2.0SL" - thereby extending their usage of the "S" into yet another model variation of the 914-2.0 model line-up - also see Jeff Bowlsby's 914 CanAm/LE website & here on those models:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=107777
http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

However, I need to report a bit of a "badging oddity" on my 73 914-2.0/"914 S" which I discovered, when asking Murray about his badge(s). idea.gif

On the backwall of the rear/trunk on mine, the 2 mounting pin holes for the "914" badge are flat on the back/inside face - as if they were stamped-out on the body jigs in the original mfgr'ing. process. Whereas the 2 holes to mount the "2.0" badge were definitely drilled or punched later on the assembled chassis, because they have the tell-tale protruding edges on the inside!

So now I'm wondering if that was either:

1 - Did they use a "72 MY run" body shell or rear wall panel for a 72 MY 914 (4) in my 73, & then add the 2 - holes for the 2.0 at the factory?? confused24.gif

- since mine was an 8/72 build date & 8/31/72 by chassis no., & my COA confirms it as a matching engine nos. 2.0! shades.gif

2 - or as in #1, but the holes/badge added later by the distributor or dealer, etc. after shipped from Karmann - perhaps in their rush to get the "oddball first 1000 or so" 73 MY 94's over to the USA (as discussed on Orange914's 2 topics on the early 73's)?? confused24.gif

3 - or was an MY generic rear panel used to repair some body damage in it's 1st 3 years before I bought it in 12/75?? confused24.gif

> I tend to think not for this latter at scenario #3 ~ since the correct rear trunk chassis no. is intact on the trunk floor, & I saw no evidence that a replacement rear wall panel had been spliced in there. On the other hand, I've not stripped it to bare metal yet, & it was repainted gold when I got it & has either a tan tinted primer (as was often done to prevent a lighter color show through on a darker color over it) - or yet another Sahara Beige repaint under the Gold, & over the original L80E Light Ivory.

So who knows!? huh.gif

Anyone else ever come across later added mounting holes on their 73 MY 1.7 or 2.0???? confused24.gif
- 70-72 didn't have a 1.7 badge - just "914", while the 6's had "914-6" in a single connected badge.

popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
Tom...

You've become so enraptured by all this minutia...I think its time you run away from that early MY 73 consider a real rarity...I predict you will have at least one LE in your stable in the future.

Your friend, Jeff

lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 9 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Tom...

You've become so enraptured by all this minutia...I think its time you run away from that early MY 73 consider a real rarity...I predict you will have at least one LE in your stable in the future.

Your friend, Jeff

lol-2.gif

They're just interesting factoids & oddities Jeff!

idea.gif ...... now maybe a classic OE -6 when I finish my 73, hmmmmmm ......... shades.gif

My wife would probably kill me though! lol-2.gif

She did like the idea of your lift, when she saw a pic of your LE's stacked in the garage, passing by on my 914 screensaver one time, & didn't flinch much when I said we'd have to raise the roof on our garage to do so! huh.gif

So let's see - raise the roof, slab cuts for pads, double-wide 2 car lift ..... w00t.gif
JeffBowlsby
The plot thickens...Gustl is to blame. Wolfgang sent me these two ads from a British magazine...from 1971. They are also now on my Classic site under Misc Ads.

biggrin.gif
MDG
I saw this in a picture thread in the garage of old shots from the 70's and 80's. It was taken at an auto show in Fort Worth in 1972. Thought you'd be interested . . .

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
As Jeff said - to further muddy the 914S waters! huh.gif

Here's a pic of Steve G's 1st 914 - a 73 2L & yet check out this 914, PCA & CW Guru's license plate! blink.gif

I mean - if Steve says it's a 914S, then it must be right!!?? shades.gif

Hmmmm ..... maybe it's time to start a 914S/SC/SL Registry!!?? type.gif
.... oh I just love to stirthepot.gif a bit! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

As an added oddity, I read somewhere recently (but don't recall where now), that the early 73 MY 914s were initially delivered with only a "914" badge from the factory, and then the "2.0" badge was added later (& "1.7" for the other model), but were otherwise initially undifferentiated badge-wise from the 1.7's.

That would explain why the rear wall on my early 73 (8/31/72 chassis no.) has flat holes for the "914" badge, but the holes for the "2.0" badge were obviously drilled later & show the "push-through"/protrusion cupping from a drill (see my post #155 above).

So now I'm wondering: idea.gif

1. - If anyone else with a early 914-2.0/914S also has evidence of later added/drilled badge mounting holes for the "2.0" badge? confused24.gif

2. - If perchance as an interim measure - did any dealers here in the USA perhaps add a "914S" badge to some of these early undifferentiated 914 2.0's?? confused24.gif

If so, post it up here - with pix if you have any! smile.gif

Thanx for the above pix additions to the saga.

popcorn[1].gif
al weidman
Let me add what I think I remember. I sold Porsche's at Kendon P/A and Circle P/A from the summer of 1969 to the fall of 1975. I sold some new 912's then basically all of the 914's. We installed Porsche crests on all 914 hoods, coco mats side stripes and radios, since we could get Clarions for about $40. Per customer's request, we did interior swaps, wheel swaps, exhaust installs and there were even 914 mud flaps. We also put side mouldings on many cars.
As far as the '73 2.0 goes, we believed it was going to be the 914s. We had the brochures and were told about all the improvements and it would have a broader appeal than the 914-6, which we had a hard time selling even at a discounted $5000 even, into 1972. Now comes the interesting part. We heard that the PCA was the lobbying group to drop the "s" as they were insulted that Porsche would even consider calling a 914 an "s". This would explain the time delay and also why the Brits were not advised to stop. In those days the 914-6 was the only 914 considered a real Porsche because the chassis were shipped to Porsche for completion. Even the 912 was suspecious to the 911 crowd and also not accepted by the 356er's either. Remember most Porsche buyers were enthusiasts and knew the cars and options well. Actually quite a lot of our 911's were special ordered. When the wealthy picked up on Porsche's is when they were only interested in "Which is the best or fastest one they make?" The 914 opened up a whole new crowd. I taught many girls how to drive a stick shift. If they would have made an automatic, they could have sold a million. I just don't think they had the capacity to do it. Also VW had planned to stop the car in '74, that's when Porsche stepped up and finished the run to '76 to have a transition car to the 924 and it's connection to Audi for production capacity and maintain an entry level Porsche. BTW I was awarded the "Salesman of the 1972 LA car show" by coming close to selling a car the one of the judges. I knew the cars and loved them, still do, although I have forgotten some of the options. popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
yep, in those days the wealthy wine and cheese crowd were quite rude and exclusive group. PCA considered the 914's a Volkswagen and nothing more except the 914/6 which was final assembled by Porsche factory workers....really stupid I thought then and now.
As Porsche historians have noted, the 914 kept Porsche in business in those years not the exclusive and expensive 911.
Tom_T
QUOTE(al weidman @ Sep 13 2010, 09:14 PM) *

Let me add what I think I remember. I sold Porsche's at Kendon P/A and Circle P/A from the summer of 1969 to the fall of 1975. I sold some new 912's then basically all of the 914's. We installed Porsche crests on all 914 hoods, coco mats side stripes and radios, since we could get Clarions for about $40. Per customer's request, we did interior swaps, wheel swaps, exhaust installs and there were even 914 mud flaps. We also put side mouldings on many cars.
As far as the '73 2.0 goes, we believed it was going to be the 914s. We had the brochures and were told about all the improvements and it would have a broader appeal than the 914-6, which we had a hard time selling even at a discounted $5000 even, into 1972. Now comes the interesting part. We heard that the PCA was the lobbying group to drop the "s" as they were insulted that Porsche would even consider calling a 914 an "s". This would explain the time delay and also why the Brits were not advised to stop. In those days the 914-6 was the only 914 considered a real Porsche because the chassis were shipped to Porsche for completion. Even the 912 was suspecious to the 911 crowd and also not accepted by the 356er's either. Remember most Porsche buyers were enthusiasts and knew the cars and options well. Actually quite a lot of our 911's were special ordered. When the wealthy picked up on Porsche's is when they were only interested in "Which is the best or fastest one they make?" The 914 opened up a whole new crowd. I taught many girls how to drive a stick shift. If they would have made an automatic, they could have sold a million. I just don't think they had the capacity to do it. Also VW had planned to stop the car in '74, that's when Porsche stepped up and finished the run to '76 to have a transition car to the 924 and it's connection to Audi for production capacity and maintain an entry level Porsche. BTW I was awarded the "Salesman of the 1972 LA car show" by coming close to selling a car the one of the judges. I knew the cars and loved them, still do, although I have forgotten some of the options. popcorn[1].gif

Thanx for the info Al! smile.gif

Rick Perkins was over last Dec. to confirm the BO & HO Recalls weren't done on my 73 2L & told me about the 30 minute interior swaps the dealers did back in the day.

I'll bet you gave me at least one of my 914 look-arounds &/or test drives driving.gif at Circle during 74-75! biggrin.gif

.... but I don't recall for sure - half-zymers dontcha know! blink.gif

I couldn't afford a new one right out of college in June 74, & wasn't impressed by the big bumpers & less power on the 75's - so I ended up finding a used 73 2L later in Dec 75, which is the one I'm doing the resto on now.

Good old Hans at Hans Imports in HB guided me past a dozen other 914 "dawgs" before he gave the go ahead on this one, and has worked on all of my cars since then! You may know him & his guys - Carl & Herbert are still with him, but Brice retired early with health issues.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
al weidman
Tom, I may have. I lived in Rowland Heights early on and moved to Placentia in '73. You know Bert Ohlander was there then. People pay a premium if it is found to be one of his demos. He would not drive a 914 and paid extra to drive a 911 demo. I don't know if you ever saw it, but I had a Willow Green, no group car, pen striped with flames by Shakey Jake. Sold immediately. Many more stories from the day. Al stirthepot.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(al weidman @ Sep 16 2010, 10:29 PM) *

Tom, I may have. I lived in Rowland Heights early on and moved to Placentia in '73. You know Bert Ohlander was there then. People pay a premium if it is found to be one of his demos. He would not drive a 914 and paid extra to drive a 911 demo. I don't know if you ever saw it, but I had a Willow Green, no group car, pen striped with flames by Shakey Jake. Sold immediately. Many more stories from the day. Al stirthepot.gif

lol-2.gif

We could have a great visit sharing old stories!

I do remember one guy who would always shuffle my buddies & I off to other salesmen when we said we were interested in a 914 - probably Bert! dry.gif

Are you going to GPR BBQ this weekend?

If so, look for my Dove Blue 88 Westy with the stinger rocket launcher - errr .... awning - & OEM alloys! It has white/grey "freckles" right now cuz I'm part way through a paint touch-up! biggrin.gif

I don't recall that "flamed" 914, but my current 1980 paint job was medium over light blue hand pin striped by one of Jake's main competitors in OC, but I don't recall his name.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

IMHO the 914 looks GREAT with the pinstriped fender-line, but the CW's seem to think it hurts the look & value & gets gigged at CdE events. I may wait & get black over Antrhacite or Anthracite over Silver metallics pinstriped on my resto back to the OE L80E Light Ivory, since I'll probably only seriously CdE mine while it's still clean! biggrin.gif

After which I can "personalize" it a bit more to MY liking! shades.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
Better shot of pinstriping full body pic ....

Click to view attachment

.... technically not originality, but certainly history on my 914S! laugh.gif
72914S
I added the "S" to mine as it is a `72 with all the refinements of the `73. It has sway bars, front suspension from a `73, gauge console, 2.0, side shifter, `73 doors, etc. Here is a hard cover book, reminds me of the Clymer. This is on Ebay. I have one in my collection.
Tom_T
QUOTE(72914S @ Sep 19 2010, 02:43 PM) *

I added the "S" to mine as it is a `72 with all the refinements of the `73. It has sway bars, front suspension from a `73, gauge console, 2.0, side shifter, `73 doors, etc. Here is a hard cover book, reminds me of the Clymer. This is on Ebay. I have one in my collection.

Thanx for the post!

Interesting that this Brit book references the "914 S" & 69-72 MYs, which I suppose could be covering the early 73 MY "914S" built in 1972, but in the UK they called the 2.0L 73-76 MYs a "914SC" (I'm assuming it's a UK book due to "Autopress Ltd." which IIRC was/is a UK publisher). Very strange....!!?? idea.gif

FYI - A member vendor RJMII makes them with the "S" attached as "914-S" if you're interested in a retrofit. Check member vendors section here.
JeffBowlsby
Here are two more:

Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 22 2010, 12:25 PM) *

Here are two more:

Thanx Jeff -

The left one lists 914SC & right 914S & both are same publisher, unless I'm looking at it wrong!?
... but they could have been for the UK & USA markets respectively.

popcorn[1].gif
ME733
.........well over the last 3-4 months, the discussions and information about the 914-S just keep coming in. this is a great thread and is providing some intresting information....I have a question,...how many do you suppose....how many 914 S cars were produced, and what generally is the recognized chassis number range.?..
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Sep 28 2010, 05:46 AM) *

.........well over the last 3-4 months, the discussions and information about the 914-S just keep coming in. this is a great thread and is providing some intresting information....I have a question,...how many do you suppose....how many 914 S cars were produced, and what generally is the recognized chassis number range.?..

Hey Murry, tough question! blink.gif

The best SWAG estimate that I've been able to do, is to use the 1972 production number for 2.0's of about 4800, but the total production nos. for a VIN range is harder with the split calendar years (CY) of production vs. model year (MY) production (see chart below), with some fine tuning as follows.....

idea.gif

The VIN range would probably be "somewhere" in the range of 4732900001 - 4732915000+/-
- by my SWAG-estimating the total 1973 MY production in 1972 CY, by deducting 74 & 72-71-70 MYs' production from the CY of them produced per year(s) before & after, as found at the link below (from the 914world's links at top of page) - leaving about 12,700+/- 1973 MY 914 1.7s & 2.0s produced in CY 1973.
http://www.914world.com/specs/productionnumbers.php

However, I have no way to isolate the number of 1972 built 2.0's for the USA - per "914S spec." (i.e.: including the Appearance/Comfort & Performance/Sport Groups' Options in the base price) & imported for USA production - other than to just guess at the then ratio of roughly 60% of all Porsche then sold went to the USA, & apply that to the 4817 built in 1972 -
> for roughly 2890 "914S" cars produced ~ but call it roughly 3,000+/-
- assuming a 72 CY production only as an entirely arbitrary but "best guess" cut-off point, since the marketing change appears to have occurred in the first month or so of 1973.

Not quite as exclusive as Mr. Bowlsby's 1,000 beloved 74 LE's, but about the same as the 3,351 914-6's made for the 70-72 MYs - but not nearly as clearly defined as - nor technically speaking a model - as either of those two versions of 914s.

However, as you have pointed out before Murray - I would say that one could make a case for the "914S" as being a "trim level package" - somewhat similar to, but less well defined than the 74 CanAm's (& the USA "914S" was ultimately not "factory approved" nor condoned - as were the Japan 914S/SL & UK 914SC) - as well as the "914S" being a USA marketing program.

Probably a better way to determine whether a 73 MY 914-2.0 is a "914S", would be a checklist something along these lines:

1. 73 MY 914-2.0 built before March 1973 (if not more strictly having been built within 1972 CY), & .....

2. Originally first sold "new" by a Porsche+Audi Dealer in the USA prior to March 1973 (or perhaps earlier), & .....

3. Originally Equipped from the factory with both Appearance/Comfort & Performance/Sport Groups' Options -
...... refer to here: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm
> All of both AG & PG option sets' equipment present or evidence that it was originally there & one or more of the following .....
- a. as included within the base price, &/or
- b. shows "N/C" on the Munroney window sticker &/or dealer invoice/BoS
....... examples here: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/WindowStickers.htm
- c. Above original new sales docs. show Model Number as either : 473634 (49 states) or 473644 (CA) -
...... per here: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm
- d. COA/Kardex does not show AG &/or PG as "Options" & the GA 2.0 engine case is recorded (call/email to COA dept. at PCNA for this info. & to order a COA) .....
..... Porsche apparently didn't record the AG+PG as options, since they were included equipment in the upgraded 2.0/914S's base price (at least initially).

Ergo, if it wasn't first sold new during the time that the USA Porsche+Audi dealers were ostensibly marketing them as the "914S' (including phase-out of that advertising moniker), and if it did not originally have all of the AG & PG extra equipment on it & included in the base price for that model/engine, then it wasn't a "914S spec." 2.0 - but rather a later 2.0 with those options added at extra cost (which some 914/Porsche experts claim happened in the last few months of the 73 MY, as prices soared due to the falling DM-to-Dollar Exchange Rate). shades.gif

Also of note, the later 73 MY 914-2.0's changed over to the black plastic threshold plates - from aluminum, as well as a few of the other 74 MY cost cutting measures, so IMHO those after those changes were instituted, the later 73 MY 914-2.0's were also not as "dressed up" as our beloved early-73 "914S" models! shades.gif

Here's the PCA's estimate of total production for 914s -

Click to view attachment

Of course, different "rules" or "interpretations" would apply to Japan & the UK.

ALL of the 914-2.0's imported to Japan & sold new there were called 914S - except that their version of the 74 MY LE was called the 914SL (from the ads provided above in prior posts & Bowlsby's CanAm website), for all 73-76 MYs.

Similarly, ALL of the 2.0's imported to & sold new in the UK were called the 914SC, for all model years 73-76.

Boy, I know this talk will get some CW "juices" flowing! biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
ME733
.....TOM....great information.......what were the "other cost cutting" measures taken in 1973 in the later production 1973 my.914 2.0 cars.?.......And, I would think that the 914 S , in the USA, at least, would cease to have been "sold as" a 914 S sometime in the early months, jan, feb, march, of 1973...and as a time reference the motor trend articles, and factory, dealer, approved advertising for the 914 S., and other printings, posters......As an example, as you pointed out, the black plastic threshold plates.....could be a "give away" that the chassis number may not be early 1973, or late 1972., and therefore not a 914 S. I have heard of 1973 2.o cars without front and rear sway bars, (as an example)., I have seen 1973 2.0, cars ...with.. the black plastic thresholds......Looking back over the information, and evidence collected so far, could we use the dates on the printed posters, magazine articles, purchaser information,and materials to assist in narrowing down the "time frame" of the usa 914S.?. whata think?.
Scott S
Was the marketing campaign killed by Porsche prior to any cars being built? if not, then shouldn't the cars that were built have this designation on the COA?

The SE/Can Am cars are defined/identified on the COA, and they were simply an existing model with different options installed at the factory.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Sep 29 2010, 03:33 PM) *

Was the marketing campaign killed by Porsche prior to any cars being built? if not, then shouldn't the cars that were built have this designation on the COA?

The SE/Can Am cars are defined/identified on the COA, and they were simply an existing model with different options installed at the factory.

Scott, the 914S marketing campaign was killed in early 1973 - about halfway through the model year, but the inclusion of the Appearance Group & Performance Group options in the base price continued at least through March, & maybe April. The ad campaign's "death" is discussed & documented with MT & R&T articles on the 914S/914-2.0 bracketing the time, in earlier posts in this thread.

One would think that PCNA - as the successors to the USA Porsche+Audi marketing arm that created the 914S marketing campaign & "trim level package" would want to note it on the PCNA's current & past COA's - but Nope! I tried with their GM of PCNA's customer service dept. to at least get them to list when normally "extra cost" optional equipment was included in the base price fitment for certain years & models - including the 911 RS & some others - but they declined.

You can see my "standard COA" below (also in the above post's link to the 914 window stickers page at Bowlsby's website - see VIN 4732901954). They required me to photo the GA case no. on my 914 before they would even "fess-up" that it was a 2.0 (1st COA only listed 914), & then I had to fight through 2 more COAs with lower & mid-level COA staff, in order to get them to correct their error on the interior color code, which they incorrectly claimed #31 was black & not beige (black is #11 on 70's dealer docs. & many other COAs)! They can be a PITA to work with, but that's how & why I ended up with the GM.

So no such luck in any help from PCNA on a COA listing "914S"! dry.gif

The 3 COAs for my 8/31/72 built 1973 "914 S" / 914-2.0's:

#1 - No 2.0L Designation & Wrong Interior Color -

Click to view attachment

#2 - 2.0L Designation Added but still Wrong Interior Color -

Click to view attachment

#3 - 2.0L Designation Added & Corrected Interior Color, but No AG/PG nor 914S -

Click to view attachment

Note that PCNA & the original factory Kardex records apparently lacked the Transaxle Case No. & original MSRP on all of these, so 914 records apparently weren't all that complete & accurate from the start. Also note that they didn't add a production date until I supplied pix of my VIN Sticker & Chassis Plates in the door jambs!!!! Basically you get to do all the work & they add it to your COA for a substantial fee paid to them!!! blink.gif

So there ya go - no help from PCNA on designating "914S" vehicles - nor from the Factory since they didn't condone the "914S" nomenclature, nor did they even record the 473634 & 473644 Model Nos. on the records/Kardexes, & it took lotsa time & effort on my part just to get them to correct THEIR errors!
shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Sep 29 2010, 12:48 PM) *

.....TOM....great information.......what were the "other cost cutting" measures taken in 1973 in the later production 1973 my.914 2.0 cars.?.......And, I would think that the 914 S , in the USA, at least, would cease to have been "sold as" a 914 S sometime in the early months, jan, feb, march, of 1973...and as a time reference the motor trend articles, and factory, dealer, approved advertising for the 914 S., and other printings, posters......As an example, as you pointed out, the black plastic threshold plates.....could be a "give away" that the chassis number may not be early 1973, or late 1972., and therefore not a 914 S. I have heard of 1973 2.o cars without front and rear sway bars, (as an example)., I have seen 1973 2.0, cars ...with.. the black plastic thresholds......Looking back over the information, and evidence collected so far, could we use the dates on the printed posters, magazine articles, purchaser information,and materials to assist in narrowing down the "time frame" of the usa 914S.?. whata think?.

Hey Murray!

For the 74 MY they definitely went to all of the Appearance & Performance Groups' options becoming "for added cost" - whether as "groups" or individually, plus for 74 MY they went to "leatherette" wrapped steering wheels (instead of real leather), & heat pressed seams in the basketweave seat backs & bottoms (instead of sewn in 70-73 MY basketweave seats) - & IIRC they also went to a thinner leatherette uholstery material in 75-76 MYs - & maybe during 74 MY too, black plastic headlight surrounds/housings (from white in 70-73 MYs), and other items going plastic &/or more "plain jane" that I can't recall offhand right now.

About May-June-July 73 some of these changes apparently started randomly appearing on 914s of both engine types, according to many of the 914 history sources out there, as well as some late 73 2.0's that I've seen as well.

Another clue is when they went from the "diamond-back" embossing/stamping on the tops of the air cleaner boxes of the early 2.0 engines' FI's - to the banded style - but that switch may have overlapped the last portion of the "914S" campaign.

Also, many of the very early 72 built 914s of both 1.7 & 2.0 flavors had the 70-72 style chromed interior door handle surrounds & window crank bases, then eventually changed to the all black plastic varieties of both parts.

Some of these 72 & 74 era parts were incorporated into the 73 MY 2L's as the earlier style parts ran out or new parts got into the bins & were "picked" during assembly.

Also, the later 73 MY 914s supposedly started charging separately for Appearance Group & or Sway Bars, in order to hold down the "advertised base price" of the 2.0L model, while recouping costs & profit margins on the "extras" - as the Deutsche Mark escalated against the Dollar back then.

The ads, magazine articles & dealer catalogs set a general timeframe, but as others pointed out in prior posts here - they are printed in advance of actual use. Perhaps some dealers also marked their sales invoices/bills of sales with "914 S" which were in early 1973, in order to indicate that they were sold as such by that BoS date. But then again, that could just be an individual person writing it up that way out of earlier habits.

I don't think we can do better than to say it was somewhere between January & March 73 that the 914S ad campaign stopped. And therefore, those 914-2.0 models sold in the USA under that 914S campaign & "fully equipped," would've been produced some time before that timeframe & shipped to the USA, then distributed to dealers for sale new prior to sometime in that Jan-Mar 73 period whenever the 914S marketing program ended. I'd guess that was somewhere between a 30-60 day lag, based on oceanic shipping times of today.

I'd also bet that some dealers put 914S badges on some 914s with the 2.0 - if a customer requested & paid for it - &/or as a promotion to go with the marketing materials stating such. Plus they apparently added the "2.0" badges as an afterthought on some early 72 built 914-2.0s like mine, where the mounting holes for the "2.0" were drilled/added, while the "914" badge mounting holes were cleanly stamped into the rear body panel during it's manufacture at Karmann.

I find it odd - from several sources which I've read, that Porsche didn't even initially think of differentiating the 1.7 from the 2.0 models externally with badging - until after their various marketing arms in the USA, UK & Japan made the point in their respective marketing materials - which is rather shortsighted & amateurish IMHO!

My guess is that for us today, it's more a matter of a checklist & "preponderance of the evidence" to show that a particular 73 MY 914-2.0 fits enough of the features of being a 914S, such as: fitment/AG-PG Options at no additional cost, first/new sale date (in the USA) in the probable timeframe for the run of the 914S campaign, etc. For us it's a less formal process, than for the LE's with a specific model/paint code to ID them, or for the 914-6's with a different VIN & coding for the Stuttgart factory of final assembly - either of which makes them easy to ID even without the respective motor in the shell.

As I noted in the prior response to Scott above, Porsche & PCNA now either don't know whether a particular 914 is a "GA" 2.0L from the 73 MY on their Kardex records - or they're playing coy about it due to the prevalence of motor swaps in 1.7s & 1.8s. So someone could own a 73 914 which was indeed a 2.0 - & perhaps a "914S" if originally "fully loaded" & from the early 73MY sales in the USA - but not be able to prove it out. dry.gif

Frankly, if they are being coy - I do NOT see how PCNA's COA Dept. forcing an owner to provide pix of their engine still in the car, to verify matching nos. & type protects anyone. Rather, it only hinders honest restorers who could otherwise - 1. identify if their 914 was originally a 914-2.0/914S, 2. identify the original engine case no. in the hopes of reuniting it with the chassis for a restoration. Certainly they have assisted some 914-6 restorers with that type of information. mad.gif

Hope this helps the "Quest for the Holy Grail"!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

... sorry,couldn't resist - my son & I just watched Monty Python's "Holy Grail" movie again this evening! popcorn[1].gif
mrgreenjeans

another new wrinkle to the S myth / mystery.........

When I purchased my early 1974 2.0 litre, nearly 20 years ago, I knew the badging on the rear to be O.E. and it says 914 2.0
This car was basically a one owner car, passed from father to son, then me.
Sold new from a defunct dealer in Great Falls Mt. originally.

The various items in the glove box, the front trunk, and rear trunk also listed the car on dealer documents as a 914 S. Indicated in writing many times.

This car had a warranty issue regarding the replacement of the shifter knob after about 4,000 miles. It cracked and broke....It was replaced with an OE Porsche part number and recorded as such on the dealer worksheet........in Arizona ! The description of the car and the paperwork copies sent back to Porsche are in ref. to it as a Sunflower 1974 914 S, serial number 00089.

This car was an August of 1973 build ----serial number 00089.
It has numerous App.Grp. options.
4 bolt Fuchs ---5--- datecoded as July of 1973
3 Gauge Console
Plain plastic steering wheel, NOT wrapped
Center seat in tan vinyl
Embossed vinyl weld seat seams
Clarion AM-FM Radio installed
A Euro spec Blaupunkt Frankfurt sideband , in the box in the trunk
Antenna drilled on left front cowl
Full set of 5 steel mag style wheels on which the car was sitting when bought
Fully tinted windows, including the ultra rare rear defogger glass
Black Negative side trim---Porsche
NO sway bars
Black plastic clad window rollups

It has numerous carryover -73 items like the washer nozzles, and the center bullets on the tach and speedo.
This is a low mile, very original car, never being hacked or modded, so I believe the items all are properly addressed and attended to. History is complete and well documented from day one.
Curiously, it sold as a nearly year old / demo to a teacher who then immediately took it on his honeymoon through the mtns. and the S.W. It had only several hundred miles when it sold in July of 74, indicating it was a dealer demo in a small town with little sales. The family had it for nearly 20 years and 60,000 miles.

The nomenclature clearly states it, and this is original to the car I believe, as a 2.0.
The paperwork from all the Porsche dealerships it was at, Az., Ca., Mt., and ND all indicate it as an S. I believe the service and parts counters used that term interchangeably, as my own local Porsche mech. called it that the first time he saw it, and he has worked there since 1973 as lead Porsche-Audi man.

Just adding to the lore.......
dlkawashima
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 5 2011, 05:58 PM) *

I think that's the problem ..... there really is no way to specify exactly which cars meet the criteria because there really is no official 914 S.

Look at my car below. Clearly, the service record booklet lists it as a "914 S" but if you look at my car (a mostly original car handed down from father to son, then to me), it obviously does not meet the criteria laid out by Tom. It's got black bumpers, black trim around the sail panels, no vinyl on the sail panels, etc. And the build date inside the door jamb is 6/73, so it's definitely not a 914 S according to Tom's rules.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
confused24.gif I know the owner of this 914 he bought new with the airdam and black bumpers. The steel wheels are race tires it came with fuchs
Tom_T

When I purchased my early 1974 2.0 litre, nearly 20 years ago, I knew the badging on the rear to be O.E. and it says 914 2.0

The various items in the glove box, the front trunk, and rear trunk also listed the car on dealer documents as a 914 S. Indicated in writing many times.

This car had a warranty issue regarding the replacement of the shifter knob after about 4,000 miles. It cracked and broke....It was replaced with an OE Porsche part number and recorded as such on the dealer worksheet........in Arizona ! The description of the car and the paperwork copies sent back to Porsche are in ref. to it as a Sunflower 1974 914 S, serial number 00089.

3 Gauge Console
Center seat in tan vinyl
NO sway bars

It has numerous carryover -73 items like the washer nozzles, and the center bullets on the tach and speedo.
This is a low mile, very original car, never being hacked or modded, so I believe the items all are properly addressed and attended to. History is complete and well documented from day one.
Curiously, it sold as a nearly year old / demo to a teacher who then immediately took it on his honeymoon through the mtns. and the S.W. It had only several hundred miles when it sold in July of 74, indicating it was a dealer demo in a small town with little sales. The family had it for nearly 20 years and 60,000 miles.

The nomenclature clearly states it, and this is original to the car I believe, as a 2.0.
The paperwork from all the Porsche dealerships it was at, Az., Ca., Mt., and ND all indicate it as an S. I believe the service and parts counters used that term interchangeably, as my own local Porsche mech. called it that the first time he saw it, and he has worked there since 1973 as lead Porsche-Audi man.

Interesting story.

It illustrates the carry-over of prior MY parts into the current MY in the early months of production. My early 73 and some others have some of the 72 MY carry-over items as well.

Do you mean a tan hinged center cushion on the storage box for the center seat?
... and is this matching the interior color or off-color from the rest of the interior?

It sounds like some of the dealers here in the USA clung to the 914S "tag" much longer than Porsche wanted them to! biggrin.gif

It would be interesting to see how your window sticker (Munroney) reads as to which of those options were listed as N/C versus a charge for each and whether Appearance & Sport Groups or individual options.

Yours sounds like it had some of the Appearance Group options as individual items - but not all (e.g.: the leather wrapped steering wheel), and not the Sport Group options of sway bars, but it has the Fuchs 2L wheels.

If you look at the window stickers for 73 & 74 MYs at jeff Bowlsby's website, and you'll see the difference in the 73 MY "914S" options package, and the 74 change to charging for them all - ether as groups or individually. See here -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/WindowStickers.htm

You should also be able to find the official factory Model No. on some of the original dealer sales documents & window sticker (if you have any), which will show what was "packaged" option-wise on yours (same for anyone else lucky enough to have the original sales docs. You can then look that number up at Jeff's site here -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

Thanx for sharing this!
Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 6 2011, 11:30 AM) *

I think that's the problem ..... there really is no way to specify exactly which cars meet the criteria because there really is no official 914 S.

Look at my car below. Clearly, the service record booklet lists it as a "914 S" but if you look at my car (a mostly original car handed down from father to son, then to me), it obviously does not meet the criteria laid out by Tom. It's got black bumpers, black trim around the sail panels, no vinyl on the sail panels, etc. And the build date inside the door jamb is 6/73, so it's definitely not a 914 S according to Tom's rules.

Click to view attachment

Dave, Thanx for posting this. There has been some question as to whether or not there were any 73 MY 914-2.0's without the "S" package of "included" options, and your & the PO's posts on here have put fact to that. I think this is another case of dealers hanging onto the "914S" tag long after Porsche wanted them to stop.

If you got the window sticker &/or dealer sales documents from your PO/his Dad, then check the Model No. on there (six digits 914XXX) & look it up on Jeff's website on the prior post of the 74 called an "914S". It will tell you what equipment set it came with in terms of the "Groups" of options, remember the Appearance Group (USA) is called Comfort Group on there, and Sport Group is the Performance Group (USA).

As far as "rules" they're not "my rules", but just some suggested guidelines on how to determine it - relative to the way Porsche+Audi dealerships and Porsche in the USA advertised them back in 1972-73.

IMHO - the time of the 1973 model year it was produced & first sold new, as whether it was before Porsche's decree that the US branch stop using the "914S" nomenclature, since it was only a marketing name and special deal on the optional equipment at no extra charge. So it still has that "package" even if after the timeframe in Dec. 72 - Feb. 73 when Porsche put the brakes on the "914S" in USA ads, brochures, etc.

The guideline is really the print ads & dealer brochures listing the full Appearance/Comfort & Performance/Sport Group's options as "included in the base price". Once they veered from that price & fitment strategy, then there's a good case for saying it's not quite as "Super" as the ad below indicated! biggrin.gif

Here's what Porsche+Audi said was "included" for a "914S" or "Super Porsche" -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Hope this helps with your new baby's story!
popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(72914S @ Sep 19 2010, 01:43 PM) *

No offense, but I prefer the "rear end" in your avatar! biggrin.gif drooley.gif wub.gif lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 6 2011, 11:51 AM) *

confused24.gif I know the owner of this 914 he bought new with the airdam and black bumpers. The steel wheels are race tires it came with fuchs

Which Model Year was that one? confused24.gif

You could order anything at a dealer according to Rick Perkins (some of the old hands will recognize his name), & they'd swap it out in a matter of 30-45 minutes......even a full interior swap-out between two 914s!

So if it was a 73 "914S" otherwise with all the equipment offered as "included" - a buyer who preferred the black bumpers with the optional spoiler could've probably ordered it that way new, and they'd swap out the chrome bumpers to another 914 - then sell the other at an all profit up-charge for the optional chrome bumpers to boot! dry.gif

IIRC that was called a "front spoiler" when sold as an option by the dealers, and was made of a flexible rubber or plastic which bent if you hit a parking stop or curb - without breaking. Those predated the 74 MY's LE Spoiler/air dam.

They were great!

I wish Mark/Mikey914 would look at making those to add to his 914rubber line at some point. shades.gif
JeffBowlsby
If you want more info on the 914SC, check out the auctions on ebay.co.uk

Sort under "Porsche 914SC"

There is a road test article which should have good details.

Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 20 2011, 09:31 AM) *

If you want more info on the 914SC, check out the auctions on ebay.co.uk

Sort under "Porsche 914SC"

There is a road test article which should have good details.

Thanx Jeff! smile.gif .... your 914 stash is amazing, as usual!

That article is reprinted in this 914 book of articles out currently, along with a bunch of others on the UK/CW 914SC & the RHD Crawford conversions. It's got a bunch of great articles from the US, Canada, etc, too, from about `69 to 80's. It's available online from many booksellers, etc.

Click to view attachment
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2011, 01:55 AM) *

3 Gauge Console
Center seat in tan vinyl
NO sway bars

Interesting story.

It illustrates the carry-over of prior MY parts into the current MY in the early months of production. My early 73 and some others have some of the 72 MY carry-over items as well.

... and is this matching the interior color or off-color from the rest of the interior?

It sounds like some of the dealers here in the USA clung to the 914S "tag" much longer than Porsche wanted them to! biggrin.gif

It would be interesting to see how your window sticker (Munroney) reads as to which of those options were listed as N/C versus a charge for each and whether Appearance & Sport Groups or individual options.

Yours sounds like it had some of the Appearance Group options as individual items - but not all (e.g.: the leather wrapped steering wheel), and not the Sport Group options of sway bars, but it has the Fuchs 2L wheels.

If you look at the window stickers for 73 & 74 MYs at jeff Bowlsby's website, and you'll see the difference in the 73 MY "914S" options package, and the 74 change to charging for them all - ether as groups or individually. See here -

You should also be able to find the official factory Model No. on some of the original dealer sales documents & window sticker (if you have any), which will show what was "packaged" option-wise on yours (same for anyone else lucky enough to have the original sales docs. You can then look that number up at Jeff's site here -

Thanx for sharing this!
Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom:

Thanks for the leads to Jeff's sites. I have used them before and they are really GREAT !

I do not have any Bill Of Sale or a Monroney sticker for this particular Porsche. I plan to have a COA by Porsche done sometime soon.

I do know from my limited research, that the car sold for around the 6400.00 figure. It also has the black front and rear bumpers.

As to the question you made of the center console :

The color and vinyl is matched perfectly to the same tan vinyl as the front seats. It is a hinged console , padded center seat with an open compartment beneath the lid/seat. It is definitely OE Porsche and supplied with the car during manufacture.

All vinyl interior pieces are original to the car.........door panels, seat trim, vinyl on console lid, etc. Nothing has been replaced as far as I have been able to ascertain, and all items show the same patina / limited amount of wear expected on a ' 74 model year car. The interior carpeting is also original and is not the nicer up-market velour, but rather the closed loop pile in German fabric showing VERY little to no fading or wear.
I believe this car was optioned out on a base pkg. car with several of the Appearance Group items, i.e. the 5 Fuchs, the dealer installed stereo by Clarion, the drilled antenne by the lot boy working that day, but also had several of the factory options such as the 2.0 Litre engine, the tinted glass all around, the rear window de-icer , radial tires---Michelin of which an orig. zero miler is still mounted on a wheel, the negative Porsche side stripe, left hand rearview mirror-only. I also have 4 foglites NOS in the Porsche boxes, but were never installed, the Blaupunkt Euro - Spec Shortwave- AM FM in its box in the front trunk, the O.E. -----replaced under warranty-- shift knob in place, but an Aamco wood shifter, and another white cue-ball Porsche shifter in its box, plus all the Factory supplied warranty books, owners manuals, and period Workshop manuals including Haynes and Bentley that were in the trunks with the NOS tool bag , jack, and extra wheels. No trim rings were on the Steel Mag-style wheels. Never were as evidenced by the lack of marking on the rim.
I am thinking when the orig. owner had the knob replaced in AZ. while on his honeymoon, he probably didn't trust the replacement, as it had originally failed at 4,000 miles, and maybe picked up a couple spares and put them in the trunk as back-ups. Why the car never had the foglites installed I do NOT know, as well as the Blaupunkt Euro Sideband.
As to how all the dealers referred to it as a 914 S on all their paperwork is also beyond my grasp, but I have knowledge of at least one more older teener owner as well as the Porsche mech. we have here locally, referring to the 2.0L cars as 914 - S's.
Plus all the service bills in my stash with it written on the invoices by several different dealers in several different states.
Porsche mysteries........
Tom_T
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 24 2011, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2011, 01:55 AM) *

3 Gauge Console
Center seat in tan vinyl
NO sway bars

Interesting story.

Thanx for sharing this!
Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom:

Thanks for the leads to Jeff's sites. I have used them before and they are really GREAT !

I do not have any Bill Of Sale or a Monroney sticker for this particular Porsche. I plan to have a COA by Porsche done sometime soon.

I do know from my limited research, that the car sold for around the 6400.00 figure. It also has the black front and rear bumpers.

As to the question you made of the center console :

The color and vinyl is matched perfectly to the same tan vinyl as the front seats. It is a hinged console , padded center seat with an open compartment beneath the lid/seat. It is definitely OE Porsche and supplied with the car during manufacture.

All vinyl interior pieces are original to the car.........door panels, seat trim, vinyl on console lid, etc. Nothing has been replaced as far as I have been able to ascertain, and all items show the same patina / limited amount of wear expected on a ' 74 model year car. The interior carpeting is also original and is not the nicer up-market velour, but rather the closed loop pile in German fabric showing VERY little to no fading or wear.
I believe this car was optioned out on a base pkg. car with several of the Appearance Group items, i.e. the 5 Fuchs, the dealer installed stereo by Clarion, the drilled antenne by the lot boy working that day, but also had several of the factory options such as the 2.0 Litre engine, the tinted glass all around, the rear window de-icer , radial tires---Michelin of which an orig. zero miler is still mounted on a wheel, the negative Porsche side stripe, left hand rearview mirror-only. I also have 4 foglites NOS in the Porsche boxes, but were never installed, the Blaupunkt Euro - Spec Shortwave- AM FM in its box in the front trunk, the O.E. -----replaced under warranty-- shift knob in place, but an Aamco wood shifter, and another white cue-ball Porsche shifter in its box, plus all the Factory supplied warranty books, owners manuals, and period Workshop manuals including Haynes and Bentley that were in the trunks with the NOS tool bag , jack, and extra wheels. No trim rings were on the Steel Mag-style wheels. Never were as evidenced by the lack of marking on the rim.
I am thinking when the orig. owner had the knob replaced in AZ. while on his honeymoon, he probably didn't trust the replacement, as it had originally failed at 4,000 miles, and maybe picked up a couple spares and put them in the trunk as back-ups. Why the car never had the foglites installed I do NOT know, as well as the Blaupunkt Euro Sideband.
As to how all the dealers referred to it as a 914 S on all their paperwork is also beyond my grasp, but I have knowledge of at least one more older teener owner as well as the Porsche mech. we have here locally, referring to the 2.0L cars as 914 - S's.
Plus all the service bills in my stash with it written on the invoices by several different dealers in several different states.
Porsche mysteries........

Wow! You got quite a haul of vintage NOS parts with it! Those AMCO shift knobs came in Walnut & vinyl leatherette (mine had that one), with either the shift patter or the Porsche Crest in cloisonne on top. Many folks put them in their 911s, 912s, 930s & 914s - especially with the crest, and they were sold at dealers back in the day for $5.00! blink.gif .... a steal today!

This is all really interesting, as it shows that the USA Porsche+Audi distributors really had the right idea in marketing the 2.0s as the "914S" - since it's stuck well after marketing program using that moniker stopped. It was also consistent with the "S" & "Super" denotations used on the 356 & 911 lines up to that time, and contrary to what Porsche feared - IMHO it did NOT take anything away from the uppmarket 911S model name. dry.gif

Porsche should've just jumped on the bandwagen, made up a 914S badge - which could've used the same 2 mounting holes (keeping the 1.7 & 1.8 badged simply as 914), without having to add a second 1.7 or 1.8 or 2.0 badge & holes. Simpler & less work & parts = more cost effective for the same message - an upscale & up-engined 914/4! biggrin.gif

I was not sure if you meant the center console with the gauges being the tan vinyl leatherette (some folks have modified to that to match their upholstery), or at the center storage compartment with the hinged seat/cushion/armrest (some folks have changed those to a non-match).

BTW - the loop pile carpet in the 914s was the upgrade back then, before the velour plus was offered - even for 911s. IIRC the 930s, 911s & 912s didn't come out with the velour plush carpet until 76 or 77 MY, which was after the 914s' swan song (the 76 MY 914s were all built in 75 then sold out to clear stock for the 924, & 912E's were in parallel in 76 MY).

My 73 2.0 has that interior color as well - which Porsche called #31 Beige (see pix below) - using #501 Basketweave or #500 Courdorouy (#32 Beige) at the seat bottom & back inserts (501 at door panels in all cases), & #502 smooth vinyl leatherette at bolsters, backpad, etc.; with either #503 Dark Tan (tan & brown speckled) or #504 Tan loop pile carpet in the upgrade option or Appearance Group. It's all NLA & hard to find, and none of the aftermarket tan/beige/saddle materials/carpets are close enough to match with the OEM ones in place - so it requires a complete redo! sad.gif

FYI - here's the 74 MY interior info. from Bowlsby's website (click on to enlarge):
72 Colors & Materials Codes Chart (it was the same for 73-74, except that Dark Tan loop pile carpet was added):
Click to view attachment

74 MY Upholstery:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

74 MY Carpet:

popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
Found another 914S item. This is one page from a VW-Canada publication called '1973 Specifications'. Sorry its the only copy I have and its pretty hard to read, but it does describe the '914S'.

Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 26 2011, 12:41 PM) *

Found another 914S item. This is one page from a VW-Canada publication called '1973 Specifications'. Sorry its the only copy I have and its pretty hard to read, but it does describe the '914S'.

Thanx as always Jeff! smile.gif

This definitively shows that the Canadian dealers also marketed the 73 MY 914-2.0s as the "914S" as well, at least during the 73 MY.

I've heard & read in the period review articles, that the "fully loaded" 914S package of the 73 MY saved the buyer something between $1600-2000+ for the options - if added to the 914/4 1.7L model (at the lower end if as the Appearance & Performance Groups of options - or Comfort & Sport respectively in Euro/RoW documents).

Given that the 1.7 was selling for about $4000+/- at the outset of the 73 MY in August 72 - by adding the options to a 1.7 in either format, it got you up to or over the $5100+/- for the 2.0 price, so it really was a no-brainer if you wanted a "dressed up" & highly optioned 914-1.7 - so most 73 1.7s tended to be more basic stripped or minimally optioned models as the low cost option. Also, the 73 1.7 was less HP than the 72 1.7, at 76 hp 49 states or a measly 69 HP in CA - vs. the 91-95 HP for the 50 state 2.0L (100 HP in RoW) - so that pushed the popularity of the 914S - if you could find one at a dealer not already sold!

By later in the 73 MY during 1973, Porsche had to increase prices on both models and all options & accessories due to D.Mark to Dollar Exchange Rate changes, so they started offering the "non-914S" lesser equipped 914-2.0's - perhaps as early as March 73. Some of the above posts illustrate these later 914-2.0's without the full Appearance/Comfort & Performance/Sport Groups' options.

Jeff's Model Numbers page at the link below illustrate these various option group levels & standard fitments for 73 MY (& all MYs), with the model no. 473644 being the 49 state 2.0 "914S" - and now we know in Canada as well, and the 473464 being the California "914S" 2.0L (the only difference was the $15.00 CA Smog Certificate for emissions testing certified by the factory to meet CA stds.); while RoW (Rest of World) 914-2.0s were model no. 473614, but were only known as 914SC in the UK/Commonwealth markets, or 914S in Japan - and otherwise just as the "914 2.0" everywhere else, since the "914S" & "914SC" were marketed in only those specific regions/countries.

For the 73 MY "fully loaded" 914-2.0 - whether as a "914S" or "914SC" or plain ole 914-2.0, the only "included optional equipment" difference between the USA market whose Performance Group excluded the H4's, and the others was that everywhere else the Sport Group included:

> the "new for 73 MY" 4-lug Fuchs "2L style" lightweight forged alloy wheels
..... with 165HR15 tires
> F & R sway (anti-sway or stabilizer) bars 19 mm & 16 mm respectively
> H4 Halogen Headlights (not yet approved by USA DOT, so not included)

As I peer at your Canadian dealer specs. form blink.gif .... I notice a few things ......
Of note in the lower right corner of it All, that there is a list of extra cost options with a fill-in line for the current prices as available from the Canadian dealers (US dealers had similar forms, I've seen them back in the day). Some were Porsche factory parts, while others were subcontracted out by Porsche W. Germany or by Porsche+Audi/VW of America for dealer sales (both were done back then), and the latter should be considered OEM/OES parts IMHO - NOT aftermarket doo-dads.

Since it's so hard to read (italics below are my notes added), they are:

Porsche AM/FM Radio (as listed in the PET & factory options)
(BTW - they also sold VW & Motorola units & with 8-track or cassette player, as most had the VW Dealership on the same lot.)
- mine had/has the VW4412 Motorola AM/FM/8-track, which may have been a subsequent upgrade by the OO/PO before I bought it 3 yrs. old in 12/75.)

Ski Rack
- I got that one & a Hardt Bike Rack from Chick Iverson P+A in 76

Porsche Racing Stripes
(I presume these were the positive side stripes at this time up to 74.5 MY, then the negative stripes became available in Spring 74 with the LE trim package.)

Chrome Tailpipe Extension
(The 914 PET parts catalog listed/lists p/n's for 914/6, 1.7/1.8 & 2.0 types.)

Leather Gearshift Knob
(I believe these were the AMCO made leather or leatherette knob with the cloisonne top badge of either the Porsche Crest or shift Pattern, and was also available in Walnut - back $5.00 any back then.)
- mine had/has the Leatherette with Porsche Crest

Mag Type Wheel Covers
(Fuchs 5-spoke look)

Rear Luggage Rack
(also by OES/OEM AMCO, as were the chromed "U-shape" tube-type F & R Bumper Over-riders)

Front air intake grill mouldings
(Porsche parts by unknown OES/OEM)

The second subsection are: "Options (Factory Installed)"

Tinted Windshield

Tinted Windshield and Side Glass
(COAs & Munroney window-stickers usually list this as: "Tinted Glass All Around," but it never included tinted rear glass since that was shaded by the rollbar/sails & therefore considered superfluous.)

* Premium Cast Alloy Wheels
(Technically the factory specs. & PET listed the 4-lug Pedrini & "new for 73 MY" Mahle wheels as "cast alloy," whereas the "new for 73 MY" 4-lug Fuchs 2L as "lightweight forged alloy wheels" - which were the standard on the "914S" fitment. Presumably this was done to keep the wheel choice line simple.)

Special Colors
(This would include the $150 IIRC extra charge for the "standard" Black & Metallic Paints, the #98 paint code special request colors from any other "standard Porsche color" - including 911s - $195 IIRC, or the #99 paint code "paint to customer sample" paint - which included anything under the sun for $275 IIRC.)

"*Standard on 914 S"

Here are pictures of most of these options from a 72 MY's options & accessories brochures (also courtesy of Jeff) - but since I don't have a 73 MY dealer accessory brochure, these are from various years, but illustrate the options available for the 73 MY & as noted in Jeff's Canadian dealer model specs. from above:

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

shades.gif
Tom_T
Some additional AMCO & dealer options & accessories brochures' items illustrating the Canadian dealers specs. sheet list (all courtesy of Jeff's 914 website) .....

AMCO Accessories Brochure/Ad:
Click to view attachment

Leather/Leatherette & Walnut Shift Knobs with Porsche Crest & 901 5-Speed Shift Pattern Cloisonne:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=250
669]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Chrome Tailpipe Extension:
Click to view attachment

Mag-style Wheel Covers:
Click to view attachment

Front Vent Air Grille Trim:
(I'm not sure if black was available for 73 MY.)

Front, Rear, Set & Instructions of/for Chrome Bumper Overriders:
- (these may not work with 73-74 MY USA Rubber Bumper Gaurds)
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=250
676]Click to view attachment

FYI - there are many other 914 accessories & options illustrated at Jeff's website here -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

popcorn[1].gif
smg914
I found this cardboard display in the library at Auto Atlanta last week. There was another one for the 914 and this one for the 914S. I took a photo's of both but unfortunately the one for the 914 is not legible because of the bright flash of my camera.
Tom_T
Thanx Steve!

I've got a Canon SX100 (newer SX120 & SX130) which allows me to leave the flash down & still take pix for "hot" or reflective surfaces, which really helped at the Atlanta Aquarium!

Did you happen to come across any more NOS Dark Tan #503 (tan & brown speckled) loop pile carpet pieces while there at AA swapping the interior of the -6?
... esp. Driver Floor piece? confused24.gif PM or email me if so.

BTW - the early 70-74 colors were called Beige #31 (basketweave insets) or #32 (corduroy seat insets) - "Cinnamon" came along with the later post 74 vinyl & has a bit of brown swirl like in cinnamon bread.

My 73 MY Beige #31 - a bit lighter & more uniform color:
Click to view attachment
> It's a lighter more tan in brighter light (overcast when this was taken), and this should be similar to the original interior for the 914-6 you swapped-out.

vs.

Later 74-75 Cinnamon from Jeff Bowlsby's website - with sort of a two-tone:
Click to view attachment
smg914
I was looking at the COA for the willow green car 9141430241 while at AA last week and for whatever reason, it showed the interior color as Cinnamon.

I looked at a lot of carpet last week but I did not look at the pile of factory floor mats. If I were to guess, I would say what you want is probably there.
Tom_T
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 28 2011, 08:54 PM) *

I was looking at the COA for the willow green car 9141430241 while at AA last week and for whatever reason, it showed the interior color as Cinnamon.

I looked at a lot of carpet last week but I did not look at the pile of factory floor mats. If I were to guess, I would say what you want is probably there.

I'll only go through you for AA now Steve, if they have what I need at any point.

I don't trust the folks who do the COA's, cuz they really don't know the codes correctly. All too often from what I've seen & heard from many folks on here & SoCal Teeners, they just don't know the codes which change with models & years, so put what they think it is.

They initially told me mine was first sold in Sept. 73 in Conn. - even though that was a year after is was built in 8/72 & they just weren't slow selling the 2.0s in 73 MY, plus my DMV Reg cards said first sold in CA on 11/9/72 (I'm the 2nd owner since 12/75). I had to send the DMV Reg. Card pic to have them correct their poor record keeping, as well as a pic of the GA number on the engine to get them to correct it to a "914 2.0" on my COA! dry.gif

They also tried to list mine the first 2 tries as "#31 Black" - even though other COAs for other 914s correctly listed "#11 Black" & "#31 as Beige" (or sometimes "Tan" if that's what the COA person thought it was). So it took me 9 months & going through the Customer Service Mgr. at PCNA armed with copies of those 72, 73 & 74 MYs color & material selection & sample sheets to get them to change it.

BTW - that's why Rick Perkins told me that story I put on the Willow-6 story post of yours - when he came out to inspect my 73 2L for the HO (battery & fuel lines) & BO (non-hubcentric wheels) Recalls. But when I told him that they just mis-named the #31, he agreed with me that they should change it to Beige, & called them for me to move it along.

I'd guess that if George sent in the 72 color sheet that I posted on your 914club story on the Willow-6 to PCNA, that they'd send him a corrected one at no charge (they're not supposed to charge for corrections). Let me know if he needs the contact info. for the GM if he gets any flak.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 4 2010, 12:09 AM) *

Back to the documentation, after that sidetrack ...

... continued from previous post ....

... continued ... Back Cover of 12 page Porsche+Audi 914 Sales Brochure referring to "914 S":
Click to view attachment

Then - amongst the familiar "The __[blank]__ Porsche" series of print ads, there were the early 1973 MY ads during the second half of 1972 which touted the "914 S" as "The Super Porsche" was in the first one below (in both color & B&W). This was later changed to tout the "914 2.0" by the 1974 MY ads in the second ad, but oddly it was just reformatted with the text from bottom to top & still used of what appears to be the very same 1973 MY 914 photo - note the 70-73 MY positive side stripes, rather than the 74-76 MY negative side stripes as in the 3rd pic (from the 74 MY brochures).

Pix of Print Ads for 914S, 914-2.0 & 74 MY 914 with Negative Side Stripes:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Whereas, later 73 MY Print ads only referred to the 2.0L engine - rather than either the earlier "914 S" or later "914 2.0" nomenclature, as in "The Action Porsche" & "The City Porsche" print ads below.

"The Action Porsche" & "The City Porsche" print ads with reference only to 2.0L engine:

So the use of the "914 S" nomenclature was pretty prevalent from the introduction of the 1973 models - including the "new" 2 Liter 4 cylinder model meant to replace the now discontinued 914-6. Most Teeners know that the 2L 4 turned out more power than the 1.7L denoting the "Super" for the "S" - 95 hp with the GA motor - which is sometimes listed as 91 hp - depending upon whether DIN or SAE numbers were used (vs. 100 hp from the higher compression "non-California-smog/unleaded gas" Euro/World GB motor - which had 8.0:1 vs. 7.6:1 in the GA).

But what made it "Special" as well? confused24.gif
... Well, for the initial 73 MY only the 2 Liter model by either name came "loaded" with the Appearance Group's & Performance Group's list of options at no additional charge - usually listed as "N/C" on the window stickers - ostensibly to help offset the perceived loss of value of dropping the 914-6 from the line-up, with the 914S/914-2.0 at essentially the same price as the 71 914-6.

These "included options" or "upgrades" included:

> Appearance Group Optional Equipment (comparable to Euro "Comfort Group") -
..... Chrome Front & Rear Bumpers
..... Fog/Driving Lights with Chrome (plastic) Grills in the Front Bumper
..... Black Vinyl Leatherette Covering with Chrome Trim (polished anodized aluminum in fact) at the rollbar/sail panels
..... Black Vinyl Leatherette Covered Center Console with 3 Gauges - Clock ("Kienzle" type), Oil Temperature Gauge ("wide red band" type), & voltmeter (same type 73-76)
......... ~ see here for gauge & other MY fitment info.: http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_console.htm
..... Leather covered steering wheel (later 74-76 MY's switched to Vinyl Leatherette)
..... Leather Shifter Boot
..... Loop Pile Carpet (sometimes called "Velour" in the ads, etc.)

> Performance Group Optional Equipment (comparable to Euro "Sport Group") -
..... Front & Rear Anti-sway Stabilization Bars ("Sway Bars" for short - 16 mm front & 15 mm rear)
..... 5.5J x 15 Lightweight Forged Alloy Wheels - now commonly referred to as "Fuchs 2 Liter Alloys"* - with ...
..... 165HR15 Sport or Performance Tires, ofter Dunlop SP57 tires, as well as other tires from Michelin, Continental & Semperit
.......... (the 1.7's had 165SR15 size on "standard" 5.5J x 15 steel wheels - both usually are considered /80 ~ 165/80R15 in HR or SR)

* Note that most 914-2.0's from the "914 S" era were subject to the "BO Recall Campaign" released in Dec. 1972, which required that the dealers check that the Alloy Wheels were in fact of the part number ending in -01 with the machined inset around the center hole to receive the "new for 73 MY" self-centering lip around the front wheel "hub-centric hubs" - as opposed to some early -00 part nos. produced with a flat backed hub seat to fit earlier 914s as either an option or flat-out mistake by PAG &/or Fuchs.

More information on this recall - as well as the HO Recall for the battery & engine bay fuel lines applicable to all 914's - can be found at the link below of all recalls for the 914 series (the blue links in the chart link to pix of the actual factory & VWoA letters & instructions to the dealers, which Jeff Bowlsby has been kind enough to collect for us all, along with the rest of the excellent 914 info. there). PCNA is still obligated to perform any NHTSA required safety recalls - even at this late date - so long as it has never been performed on a particular car, so call the PCNA Customer Care 800# with your VIN & inquire.

http://www.bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Recalls.htm

Black & White Ad as above for the "914 S", with a detail of the text showing the "Extra Equipment" included in the 73 MY 2L's base price:

... continued ....

In reference to the recall info you claim will still be honored;
I just bought a Creamsicle that still has original plastic fuel lines. Are you saying I can take it to Brumos and they will install SS fuel lines at no cost?
Tom_T
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 14 2012, 06:02 AM) *

In reference to the recall info you claim will still be honored;
I just bought a Creamsicle that still has original plastic fuel lines. Are you saying I can take it to Brumos and they will install SS fuel lines at no cost?

No - that recall only covered the engine bay cloth covered fuel lines & a full battery cover (vs. the earlier "T" shaped ones).

If your 914 never had that or another recall, then they are obligated to perform it upon demand by the then current owner, & that holds for all auto mfgrs.

The SS tunnel lines are a much later aftermarket update/modification necessitated by age of the vehicles now at +/- 40 years old, which we all would do at our own cost.
tumamilhem
I don't understand "by the 'then' 'current' owner." I am the current owner, not the prior owner.

So I would be able to get a battery cover from the dealer? what kind of fuel lines were the replacements? how would they be obligated to do these services if the parts are discontinued? Honestly, I don't think Brumos would do it. I've had issues with their service department before.
Tom_T
Tommy,

"Then" is just whoever the current owner is at the time

Just call the PCNA 800# & click the customer care number, & give them your VIN to check if they have record of the recall being done. If not, then they will get a service order & source the parts for you to have done at your local P dealer. They may want you to take the 914 to a dealer to have them check for the recall sticker, or send someone to your house/shop if it's not running yet (as they did for mine).

I know, I have one awaiting my 914 resto to be drivable to the local dealership here.

The fuel lines are just the rubber outside type commonly used today, and the battery cover was also an Audi & VW product. Since they sourced parts for mine, I presume they're still available in some form, maybe from current P-cars.

Federal Law requires all NHTSA recalls to be performed on any/all subject vehicles in perpetuity - forever, but only if not done before by a dealer before sold or for a PO. However, that doesn't apply to voluntary recalls by the mfgr. itself - only the NHTSA ones.

Good Luck!
Tommie Tee
///////
tumamilhem
Great. Thank you so much for that information, Tommie!

PS - My name is Tommy and my entire life, people ask me if I spell it with a y or ie. I've never understood that and never seen our name spelled with an ie. Until now.

smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 14 2012, 11:07 AM) *

Great. Thank you so much for that information, Tommie!

PS - My name is Tommy and my entire life, people ask me if I spell it with a y or ie. I've never understood that and never seen our name spelled with an ie. Until now.

smile.gif

All through high school I tried to get my friends & family to "upgrade" me to "Tom", which lasted as long as the first practice at college for the Soccer & Rugby teams, whence our Brit Coach called everyone Billy, Bobby, Jimmy, Johnny .... and ..... you guessed it - Tommy/Tommie. Since we had another Tommy, I was Tommie Tee!

My grandparents, aunts & parents all used the "Tommie". I had a 7th grade crush on a cute gal named "Tommi" - so there's another & female usage!

Feel free to email or PM me, if you need any guidance on the recall thing.

Happy Holidays! santa_smiley.gif
Tom ~or~ Tommie biggrin.gif
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.