Rich, I like your idea.
-Rob
realred914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Dec 15 2010, 10:26 AM) *

Rich, I like your idea.
-Rob

what idea is that????
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Jul 11 2010, 11:10 AM) *

Heres a hardline setup I made for a 912E... The customer wanted the stock front mount 911 oil cooler setup. Used a Mocal sandwich thermostat.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Very coool...what's the cost?

Thanks!
cwpeden
WTF.gif

QUOTE(rockyyy123 @ Jan 12 2013, 10:20 PM) *

hiii there ... smile.gif smile.gif
My leak began as a nothing leak. I thought it was just from running the air conditioner and within 2 weeks I had huge puddles under my car....... smile.gif smile.gif drunk.gif ..
Top Ten Classified website

Dave_Darling
It's spam. Just to get the link in the sig indexed.

Hopefully the post and the spammer will both be gone soon.

--DD
barefoot
Do any of these systems incorporate in- line check valves in the lines to or from the cooler ?
I just bought 76 that is fitted with ex cooler and has check valve in line, not sure why needed (or if needed).
Comments ?
maf914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 26 2013, 08:24 AM) *

Do any of these systems incorporate in- line check valves in the lines to or from the cooler ?
I just bought 76 that is fitted with ex cooler and has check valve in line, not sure why needed (or if needed).
Comments ?

I would guess that the installer wanted to keep the oil in the external cooler and piping from draining back into the crankcase, resulting in a high oil level in the engine.

I have wondered about that occurring if the cooler is higher than the normal crankcase oil level. Is that an issue or problem? idea.gif
Harpo
Instead of the sandwich adapters I have seen an adapter that replaces the OE oil cooler. I don't remember where I saw it though. Basically it was a plate that had AN fitting that bolted replacing the cooler

David
barefoot
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 26 2013, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 26 2013, 08:24 AM) *

Comments ?

I would guess that the installer wanted to keep the oil in the external cooler and piping from draining back into the crankcase, resulting in a high oil level in the engine.

I have wondered about that occurring if the cooler is higher than the normal crankcase oil level. Is that an issue or problem? idea.gif

The cooler is presently mounted vertically to the underside of the rear trunk, so at about same level as sump. I just got car and it isn't running, but I'd like to reposition the cooler in the right rear fender well as I have air scoops into that area and it's then further from exhaust piping.

IGTARD
International Space Station experiencing possible over heating. shades.gif
tumamilhem
I'm glad for this thread. I want to install a second oil cooler on my LE, but because it's an LE, I don't want to chop it up. Any add-ons I do I am trying to do without performing surgery to its originality. So basically looking to just bolt on.

My other 914 has a second large oil cooler that is simply bolted to the floor pan underneath the car right before the engine bay opening. Being underneath the car it gets constant surrounding air, so there's no fan. This simple setup has worked fine for this car but I am not sure what the best placement would be for optimal functionality and protection.

Also, I'm not really sure what the best oil cooler to get would be. being in Florida I have very hot temperatures and drive my car year round. So I would like a larger cooler with optimal performance to help protect the duration of my engine and give me better performance. Also, if I need a fan a/o thermostat. I suppose living in Florida it's best to have the cooler operating whenever the car is on instead of just when it hits a certain temperature. Also I'm not familiar with this sandwich method that doesn't seem to be very popular.

From your expert opinions, what kind of oil cooler would you suggest I get? Where would you suggest I place it and how given my limitations of not chopping up my car? I did like the idea of it being turned at an angle underneath the trunk. Will this actually make it cooler by catching more air and having more oil in the cooler? And would it get enough air underneath the trunk? Also do I need a fan and thermostat? Any better suggestions than what I already have on my other 914 which is basically just a large cooler bolted underneath the floor pan forward from the rear wheels? Suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 12 2013, 05:57 AM) *

I'm glad for this thread. I want to install a second oil cooler on my LE, but because it's an LE, I don't want to chop it up. Any add-ons I do I am trying to do without performing surgery to its originality. So basically looking to just bolt on.

My other 914 has a second large oil cooler that is simply bolted to the floor pan underneath the car right before the engine bay opening. Being underneath the car it gets constant surrounding air, so there's no fan. This simple setup has worked fine for this car but I am not sure what the best placement would be for optimal functionality and protection.

Also, I'm not really sure what the best oil cooler to get would be. being in Florida I have very hot temperatures and drive my car year round. So I would like a larger cooler with optimal performance to help protect the duration of my engine and give me better performance. Also, if I need a fan a/o thermostat. I suppose living in Florida it's best to have the cooler operating whenever the car is on instead of just when it hits a certain temperature. Also I'm not familiar with this sandwich method that doesn't seem to be very popular.

From your expert opinions, what kind of oil cooler would you suggest I get? Where would you suggest I place it and how given my limitations of not chopping up my car? I did like the idea of it being turned at an angle underneath the trunk. Will this actually make it cooler by catching more air and having more oil in the cooler? And would it get enough air underneath the trunk? Also do I need a fan and thermostat? Any better suggestions than what I already have on my other 914 which is basically just a large cooler bolted underneath the floor pan forward from the rear wheels? Suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

I had one under the trunk floor in my 2.0 with carbs. Worked like a champ, but mine had a manual one/off switch for the fan. A cleaner install would be to use a thermostatic switch to have the fan come on automatically when the temp get to the set point. I just used a sandwich plate at the oil filter to run to/from the cooler. Bolted to the trunk floor with rubber spacers to get the spacing and isolate from vibration.
But, you could always make a bracket to bolt to the transmission mount to eliminate a couple of holes in the trunk.

I still have the cooler/fan/lines in my parts bin.

I'm doing something similar but with larger cooling capacity in my /6 conversion.
Randal
Re post #87: Nice installation, but be careful with that cloth braided line. Anywhere it rubs it will fray and then fail, especially if there is any pressure in the lines.
stugray
I have one I might be willing to part with almost identical to the pic with thermostat switch.
It would be minus the sandwich adapter plate as I am going to use that.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 26 2013, 12:04 PM) *

Instead of the sandwich adapters I have seen an adapter that replaces the OE oil cooler. I don't remember where I saw it though. Basically it was a plate that had AN fitting that bolted replacing the cooler

David

Is this the setup you are thinking of?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Oil-Cooler-srch.html
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 26 2013, 03:04 PM) *

David

I have a batch of adapter plates for the cooler location sitting in a box here.
I also have some inline thermostats, and some block-off-plates for the tin.

I've been trying to find time to complete a kit which includes premade hoses between the adapter and the thermostat, with options for either a front or a rear mounted cooler.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 13 2013, 07:05 AM) *

David

I've been trying to find time to complete a kit which includes premade hoses between the adapter and the thermostat, with options for either a front or a rear mounted cooler.

That is a good idea ........ is tapping the oil cooler location better for the oil pressure, than the oil filter sandwich? Or is there no difference? ... popcorn[1].gif
vw505
Chris would it block the stock cooler?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(vw505 @ Dec 13 2013, 01:13 PM) *

Chris would it block he stock cooler?

It eliminates the stock cooler.
The air normally supplied to the cooler becomes available for improved cooling of cyls 3 & 4.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 13 2013, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 13 2013, 07:05 AM) *

David

That is a good idea ........ is tapping the oil cooler location better for the oil pressure than the oil filter sandwich? Or is there no difference? ... popcorn[1].gif

I think its much better - for several reasons including improved oil pressure.
1) Added load on the filter circuit increases the likelihood that oil will bypass the filter unless the bypass valve is blocked.
2) A sandwich plate adds complexity (& drag) to the oil circuit - lowering the available pressure to the bearings.
3) The oil cooler inlet and outlet are already there on the block.
4) The stock filter mounted on a sandwich plate hangs down to where its hard to get past the engine crossbar.
5) More cooling air available for cyls 3&4
6) The stock cooler is inefficient in the stock location. Its adequate for stock engines but not so much for higher power rebuilds.
7) etc.
gothspeed
Cool ........ can this 'cooler delete/external cooler add' retrofit be installable with the engine in place? idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 13 2013, 05:06 PM) *

Cool ........ can this 'cooler delete/external cooler add' retrofit be installable with the engine in place? idea.gif

Yes ..... This thread describes how.

Just install the adapter after the cooler has been removed, and cover the hole in the tin when you have the cooler out.

ChrisFoley
The remote cooler adapter can be installed that way but the rest of the project is not that simple.
The warmup flaps need to be completely removed and the new sheet metal blanking plate installed on top of the stock cooler tin piece.
I think the shroud needs to be pulled forward or the cyl 3/4 top tin removed.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 14 2013, 08:52 AM) *

The remote cooler adapter can be installed that way but the rest of the project is not that simple.
The warmup flaps need to be completely removed and the new sheet metal blanking plate installed on top of the stock cooler tin piece.
I think the shroud needs to be pulled forward or the cyl 3/4 top tin removed.

Chris,

Why not make a cap that fits where the rubber seal between the oil cooler and tin is connected? Then just disconnect the cable on the warmup flaps to insure they don't close.

stugray

Chris - any chance you have a block off plate for where the oil filter bracket goes?
So I could route to a remote oil filter bracket?

I wanted to use the sandwich adapter that I already have, but my plumbing to the front oil coolers is 12AN. The sandwich plate that I have does not have enough space between the fittings for 2X 12AN.

So I either need to come off the adapter plate with the 3/8" fittings to a remote adapter, or I need to replace the filter bracket with a plate that has 1/2" NPT fittings (3/8" NPT would work if they were far enough apart to use the 3/8"X1/2" reducer fittings).

I could go the "ful flow" pump route (probably drop the engine) or the cooler block off, but I actually wanted to keep the stock oil cooler so If I add a thermostat to the plumbing to the front coolers, I still have some cooling until the thermostat kicks in.

That way racing in cold(er) weather will not engage the front coolers until the whole system is warmed up.

Dave_Darling
Summit shows a whole bunch of sandwich adaptors with 1/2" NPT fittings, or even larger in some cases.

--DD
stugray
Summit shows a whole bunch of sandwich adaptors with 1/2" NPT fittings, or even larger in some cases.

Thank you! - that will work!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-545/overview/
gothspeed
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 14 2013, 01:50 PM) *

Chris - any chance you have a block off plate for where the oil filter bracket goes?
So I could route to a remote oil filter bracket?

I wanted to use the sandwich adapter that I already have, but my plumbing to the front oil coolers is 12AN. The sandwich plate that I have does not have enough space between the fittings for 2X 12AN.

So I either need to come off the adapter plate with the 3/8" fittings to a remote adapter, or I need to replace the filter bracket with a plate that has 1/2" NPT fittings (3/8" NPT would work if they were far enough apart to use the 3/8"X1/2" reducer fittings).

I could go the "ful flow" pump route (probably drop the engine) or the cooler block off, but I actually wanted to keep the stock oil cooler so If I add a thermostat to the plumbing to the front coolers, I still have some cooling until the thermostat kicks in.

That way racing in cold(er) weather will not engage the front coolers until the whole system is warmed up.
I kinda like that idea too ..... as of now, I am still slightly attached to the stock oil cooler unsure.gif ............ however I believe this oil circuit diagram for the type 4 ....... may help make a decision on where the 'additional' or 'replacement' oil cooler should be placed in the circuit ..... smile.gif

P.S. I got this diagram from another site (link below, it was a changing GIF), so someone please confirm that this circuit reflects our type 4 engine case.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ.html
stugray
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...
gothspeed
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 14 2013, 03:53 PM) *

I guess this is an ongoing discussion ..... beerchug.gif

According to this pic (re-posted below) in your thread link .... the pic I posted (above) appears correct .... popcorn[1].gif
gothspeed
Looks like Jonsey already makes a nice billet type 4 'oil cooler delete' / 'external oil cooler add' interface plate with gaskets and 3/8" NPT thread for fittings ..... beerchug.gif

Now all one needs to do, is decide how one is going to modify the flap / tin where the stock oil cooler was ..... smile.gif

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=783355
stugray
So I recieved the sandwich adapter plate in the link above from Summit and it fits perfectly.

There is room for the 2X 1/2NPT - 12 AN adapters and then the 12 AN straight fittings with plenty of room to work with the fittings.

I have the whole thing with filter hanging on my mockup (spare case half) and I am concerned with the weight of the assembly.

The cast stock oil filter adapter looks beefy enough to handle it, but the threaded pipe where the oil filter threads on looks like the weak link to me.
I think I will need to build a support bracket that supports the weight for any "four offs" that might occur.

Pics to follow.
barefoot
Small cooler located in inlet ahead of rear wheel. Easy hose routing not near any hot parts. mock-up shots shown

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
UP
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.