Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Engine w/Boxster transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ottox914
What you are creating is almost to awesome for words.
precisionchassis
Added a rear wing...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
precisionchassis
Quick update with everything in primer. Just waiting on the wheels to be made so I can test-fit everything before I final sand and start painting everything.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
AndyB
Maybe its just me but I dont see a 914 anywhere confused24.gif Perhaps the title should be changed to OT or SOT or WOT confused24.gif
precisionchassis
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ May 15 2011, 04:21 PM) *

Maybe its just me but I dont see a 914 anywhere confused24.gif Perhaps the title should be changed to OT or SOT or WOT confused24.gif

6 pages in and nobody has complained yet... this engine/transaxle configuration would directly translate into 914 applications. If someone wants me to add "SOT" to the title a mod can let me know... or I can get rid of the thread all together...
Mike Bellis
You can edit your first post and change the tittle...
BIGKAT_83
That thing is looking great..... Have you got the adapter completed yet.
Its got me looking for a boxster to do the conversion too.

aktion035.gif
precisionchassis
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 15 2011, 06:34 PM) *

That thing is looking great..... Have you got the adapter completed yet.
Its got me looking for a boxster to do the conversion too.

aktion035.gif

Yes, the adapter kit is finished, just need to test it.
firstknight13
biggrin.gif i have both the engine and the 5 speed.......how much for the adapter plate?? im sure the line is long
Loser_Cruiser
This is awesome, good thing I didn't see this befor I bought my 3.6 and conversion stuff.
enderw88
Does anyone know if the boxster transmission will mate to the older aircooled porsche engines? This seem like a good upgrade for large -6 conversions.
rohar
QUOTE(enderw88 @ May 23 2011, 01:46 PM) *

Does anyone know if the boxster transmission will mate to the older aircooled porsche engines? This seem like a good upgrade for large -6 conversions.

No, it won't. The bellhousing's all wrong (bolts in different places) and the starter is on the engine side rather than the tranny side which makes it that much more difficult. Then, the output flanges are all kinds of different with an offset pumpkin so there's that.
enderw88
QUOTE(rohar @ May 23 2011, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(enderw88 @ May 23 2011, 01:46 PM) *

No, it won't. The bellhousing's all wrong (bolts in different places) and the starter is on the engine side rather than the tranny side which makes it that much more difficult. Then, the output flanges are all kinds of different with an offset pumpkin so there's that.

Thanks, once I figured out how to more effectively search I found all the threads. Of course I had to post the question before I copped a clue...
precisionchassis

Some suspension bits...

IPB Image

Control arms with some of those pieces installed. There won't be a single rubber bushing anywhere on the car. Everything is mono-ball or solid.

IPB Image

Been making some good progress lately. The wheels came in so I was able to mount some NT01's on them and make the car a roller (temporarily) to verify tire/wheel fitment with the quarter panels and suspension. I need to add some 8mm spacers on the rear so I can lower the back end of the car to a more appropriate ride height, but otherwise everything fits great so the next step is to start painting stuff.

Here is a teaser pic of the car on the ground for the first time in almost a year, and the Racepak dash that I mounted in place of the stock gauge pod.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
banksyinoz
wub.gif

matt green or orange ??

drooley.gif
Jeroen
sweet!
no GT3 arms?
precisionchassis
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 10 2011, 06:41 AM) *

sweet!
no GT3 arms?

Nope. I was able to accomplish the same thing for less money use the Tarett parts and camber plates.

It will be painted bright green.
matthepcat
What wheels are those?
precisionchassis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 10 2011, 08:45 AM) *

What wheels are those?

CCW Classics in 17x10 and 17x12 with 315/35/17 rears and 275/40/17 in front.
precisionchassis
Finally started the paint process.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Britain Smith
Holy Green Batman!
tavoman27
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 10 2011, 06:41 AM) *

sweet!
no GT3 arms?

The Gt3 arms are good for upgrades on BSR or boxter specs because they can not use camber plates so by using the GT3 arms and some shim plates the can work on lowering the car and camber/alignment... now this car is not a spec vehicle so he can use more suspension components up on top (camber plates) and accomplish the same as with the gt3 arms.... nice ride!!!! and he was not kidding about being bright green!!!! hahahaha
shades.gif
precisionchassis
Exterior is now 90% finished. Just need to finish up a few small details...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Engine and transaxle install is next...
BKLA
Beautiful work!!!!
precisionchassis
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Jeroen
read on a website somewhere that you're gonna do a mid engined 356?
can you keep us posted on that as well?
precisionchassis
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 17 2011, 10:02 AM) *

read on a website somewhere that you're gonna do a mid engined 356?
can you keep us posted on that as well?

Lol! Yes I am... I guess there are no secrets on the interwebz wink.gif its a RHD "A" so I'm. Sure I'll piss off some Porsche nuts smile.gif
precisionchassis
I've been working on the final assembly lately. It's basically down to some fluid plumbing (accusump, oil coolers, scavange pump etc) and finishing up the chassis harness and then I should be able to try and fire the motor. The air jacks work though...

IPB Image
Andyrew
Wow that looks amazing! Great work!!
Randal
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 26 2010, 04:25 PM) *

the shoe prints on the wall - big distraction : )

So much for great engineering. LMAO!
Randal
QUOTE(precisionchassis @ Aug 1 2011, 02:43 PM) *

I've been working on the final assembly lately. It's basically down to some fluid plumbing (accusump, oil coolers, scavange pump etc) and finishing up the chassis harness and then I should be able to try and fire the motor. The air jacks work though...

IPB Image

Absolutely beautiful work.

Love to be sitting in that machine your first time on the track!
JRust
So what is the adapter plate going to run? Found a decent deal on a 99 Boxter tranny. It is complete from the shifter back. While I do plan on doing a suby conversion. It would be of more use in my v8 conversion that is almost road worthy. I do want to know for my suby though idea.gif

Just wish there was an option for the boxter tranny with my v8. I need to look into it more I guess smile.gif . Probably is an option out there somewhere blink.gif
jcambo7
This Boxter is awesome. Those flares and all the other mods are sweet. What is the plan for the car? popcorn[1].gif
precisionchassis
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 1 2011, 11:02 PM) *

So what is the adapter plate going to run? Found a decent deal on a 99 Boxter tranny. It is complete from the shifter back. While I do plan on doing a suby conversion. It would be of more use in my v8 conversion that is almost road worthy. I do want to know for my suby though idea.gif

Just wish there was an option for the boxter tranny with my v8. I need to look into it more I guess smile.gif . Probably is an option out there somewhere blink.gif

I wouldn't put a V8 in front of the 5 speed Boxster tranny, only the 6 speed. If you are going to use a V8, the only real choice is an LSx motor. For that application, KEP will make you an adapter kit for around $2000 last time I checked and from what they told me, it's something like 4" thick blink.gif There have been other people who were supposedly working on another LSx/Boxster based conversion kit, but to my knowledge, it hasn't actually happened yet. I know there was a shop in TX I think that was advertising a conversion kit for the LSx too but I've never seen a finished product. Ultima is offering an inverted 996 gearbox (same as Boxster 6 speed) so that means they have done it, but it would require running an inverted rear engine box.

If you want to use the 5 speed, the Subie motor would be ideal as it doesn't make the kind of gearbox killing torque that the V8's make. Although people use 901's in their V8 cars so I guess it's possible.

I'm not going to be talking "prices" on here because I'm not a paid vendor and it wouldn't be fair.
precisionchassis
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Aug 1 2011, 11:46 PM) *

This Boxter is awesome. Those flares and all the other mods are sweet. What is the plan for the car? popcorn[1].gif

To test the conversion parts and win races...
Amenson
QUOTE(precisionchassis @ Aug 1 2011, 11:24 PM) *

I'm not going to be talking "prices" on here because I'm not a paid vendor and it wouldn't be fair.

With whom would it be fair to discuss prices? wub.gif
precisionchassis
Wiring is DONE! Other than the ABS system, the chassis harness was built from scratch. The engine management is stock from the 2007 WRX donor and fit in the stock Boxster location using all stock mounting points. We were even able to use the stock Porsche ECU mounting studs with the stock Subaru ECU and relays. Everything powers up and the engine cranks. Still need to plumb the oil system, fuel system, and cooling system, but then we should be able to fire it up and get it on the dyno for some tuning.

Rear trunk

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image

Accu Sump

IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
precisionchassis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwLKsEqj8ZQ
dw914er
EJ255? I love the sound of a ball bearing twin scroll turbo after you shut the car off wub.gif

Great work! The Turbo EJ's are definitely a sweet motor.
76-914
first.gif Most Excellant
partwerks
Will this 5 or 6 speed work with the EJ20 engine? If so, would it shift with a cable?
precisionchassis
The same kit would work with any EJ, EG, or EZ Subaru motor. The Boxster Transaxle is designed to be cable shifted.
Cairo94507
Holy crap! That is just an insane build with skills off the planet. beerchug.gif
partwerks
I wonder if the cable shifter I currently have/got from cable shift.com will work with this trans?

I would imagine that this trans doesn't have all the issues with trying to get it in gear, finding gears and get it in gear when at a standstill, etc.?
precisionchassis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 16 2011, 09:15 AM) *

I wonder if the cable shifter I currently have/got from cable shift.com will work with this trans?

I would imagine that this trans doesn't have all the issues with trying to get it in gear, finding gears and get it in gear when at a standstill, etc.?

No issues at all with finding gears or trying to get into gear. It shifts like modern car... very "Honda" like. I'm sure you could easily adapt the shifter you have to work on the transaxle end. The other option is to use a stock Boxster/996 style shifter. They are very "Universal" in the way they mount to the car and are VERY cheap to buy
partwerks
I'm wondering what all has to be changed to use this trans as I have a tubular cradle that the engine sits in from Renegade Hybrids. I realize the cables may have to be altered a bit, but what other unseen things are there or is it plug N play?

What is the cost of the 5 speed vs 6 speed?
SCV
That is simply fantastic work, and the color is most appropriate. By all means, carry on.
precisionchassis
We are also using this car to test out a few non-conversion related products including a programmable brake light flasher module. With this module, we are able to set the brake lights to activate with an adjustable number of flashes prior to constant illumination, adjust the flash frequency (faster flashing available with LED bulbs). This is something we are developing specifically for full size cars and is not just a retrofitted motorcycle flasher unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3doLgSISDo&feature=feedu
grantsfo
Awesome as usual!
jmill
Beautiful work. I hate to say that color reminds me of the Lotus in "The Rookie."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.