Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Engine w/Boxster transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
precisionchassis
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 1 2011, 02:48 PM) *

Beautiful work. I hate to say that color reminds me of the Lotus in "The Rookie."

Funny you should mention that. The color is based on the Lotus "Krypton Green" minus the pearl.
precisionchassis
Finally, all of the plumbing is finished, communication for the Racepak dash is finalized and programmed, and it's ready for a tune. More video coming soon...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Wow! wub.gif
76-914
agree.gif And it's beginning to feel like having a crush on a hot movie star. Why, when it's unobtainium for me. Damn beautiful and fantastic craftsmanship. Will there be plans or kits for a basic drivetrain
precisionchassis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 12 2011, 04:51 PM) *
Will there be plans or kits for a basic drivetrain

The plan is to have basic kits first, which will include a custom flywheel, adapter plate, clutch kit, starter motor and engine cradle for both Boxster and 914 chassis
moparrob
Amazingly high quality. Great work and a pleasure to follow. You certainly have raised the bar for fit and finish.
partwerks
What kind of coinage are we talking here for everything it takes to make it go down the road?
precisionchassis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 12 2011, 06:54 PM) *

What kind of coinage are we talking here for everything it takes to make it go down the road?

That's a loaded question. There are a million different ways to do the same conversion as far as exhaust, intake (or intercooler), turbo, headers... I can tell you how much the basic components will cost but after that it will depend largely on how you equip it and what your goals are. PM me for some specific pricing. The biggest hurdle for 914 guys will be switching the clutch over to hydraulic actuation instead of cable but anyone who has ever driver a Boxster or newer water cooled Porsche knows how well these transaxles shift.
precisionchassis
So we took the car to UMS Tuning to take care of the tuning. Tony worked his magic and the car made 416whp at 17.75lbs of boost. Considering the application of the car (road racing) we pulled a bit timing just to play it safe and ended up at 396whp and 354 ft/lb. Should be plenty of power for a 2400lb car. Dyno video link at bottom. Sound quality questionable...

IPB Image

Subaru Powered Boxster dyno tuning - YouTube
Andyrew
At only 18lbs of boost thats pretty good! Congrats!! What gas?
BKLA
Very cool! (But it sounds like a hot rod type IV!!!!) biggrin.gif
precisionchassis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 20 2012, 11:15 AM) *

At only 18lbs of boost thats pretty good! Congrats!! What gas?

110 race fuel. Trying to give the stock pistons a fighting chance.
a914622
Bumping the 400 at the wheels those pistons are going to need race gas and no miss shifts biggrin.gif
precisionchassis
Here are some pictures and an in-car video. No blazing fast lap times this time out. I'm still a bit rusty because I haven't driven on track in almost 3 years, and the car has only been completed for 12 hours at this point. There is a lot of speed potential in the car (more than my driving ability could use this past weekend) and I can't wait to see how it fairs against other cars in it's class after we get some development time under our belts.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

VIDEO!
http://youtu.be/iwyKeSLCuiU

And for anyone who was wondering if the Boxster cooling system could handle the cooling needs of the Subaru turbo engine... this is what we had to do just to get the car to run at normal operating temps. This was with a restrictor plate in place of the functioning thermostat. We are going to have to go back to a thermostat. Without any tape on the front end, the water temps never got above 125 degrees while driving.

IPB Image
firstknight13
so are you selling the adapter??? yes or no???....thanks biggrin.gif
precisionchassis
Yes smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(precisionchassis @ Nov 12 2011, 03:56 PM) *

The plan is to have basic kits first, which will include a custom flywheel, adapter plate, clutch kit, starter motor and engine cradle for both Boxster and 914 chassis

After you get all the "bugs" worked out maybe you can post "some" anticipated kit costs. popcorn[1].gif Thx for sharing.
precisionchassis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 7 2012, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(precisionchassis @ Nov 12 2011, 03:56 PM) *

After you get all the "bugs" worked out maybe you can post "some" anticipated kit costs. popcorn[1].gif Thx for sharing.

I already have some of this figured out. Email me for more info.
firstknight13
QUOTE(precisionchassis @ Feb 6 2012, 10:07 PM) *

Yes smile.gif

ok how much....details please...thanks
precisionchassis
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Feb 7 2012, 03:35 PM) *

QUOTE(precisionchassis @ Feb 6 2012, 10:07 PM) *

Yes smile.gif

ok how much....details please...thanks

send me an email.
partwerks
Do you make an adapter plate that will work with say, a Subaru EZ30D, or WRX-STI, and mate up with a 2001 Boxster 986-5 speed transaxle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.