Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official Sasquatch build thread Part 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Mike Bellis
Another random pic of the intake and peripherals...

Click to view attachment

You can see some of my 3" pressure tubing to the intercooler in the background...

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Here is the best sticker... For those that dare let me pass...

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Has anybody seen my license plates? They seem to be missing... sad.gif I took them off in November and put them in a safe place. So safe, I can't find them...
Andyrew
I see water injection? Did you mention that earlier? Probably, I must have forgot..

Its looking Really good!! Love the oil cap. ohmy.gif
matthepcat
Nice! Love that mirror sticker:

Rocking it on my suby.
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 12 2011, 08:09 AM) *

I see water injection? Did you mention that earlier? Probably, I must have forgot..

Its looking Really good!! Love the oil cap. ohmy.gif

No water injection yet. The blue hose is on the inlet to the turbo for the PCV oil breather system.

My Haltech WB O2 showed up today. Looks like I can start tuning in the next week or so. I have to finish some minor wiring to my gauge sending units. And double check everything.

I'm almost scared to start it. All this work over the last 9 months and now I'm almost done. If it doesn't work I will be verry dissapointed sad.gif But if it does work, it's going to be a blast. I told my wife she can drive it on the road while I fine tune it on my laptop. At some point I plan on dyno tuning as well. I have to get it close first.
Andyrew
Ahh. Gotcha.

You'll probably be fine! just keep a fire extinguisher on hand and listen carefully!

Do they have any break in procedures?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 12 2011, 05:59 PM) *

You'll probably be fine! just keep a fire extinguisher on hand and listen carefully!

Do they have any break in procedures?

I've got 5 extinguishers ready!

Break in:
Pull plugs
squirt oil in the chamber
crank engine
prime oil system
check for leaks
install plugs
connect ignition
connect fuel pump
crank engine and hold on.

It's a JDM engine with 40-50kM on it. I'm absolutly sure it will need a rebuild sooner than later. Time will tell. If all the internals are good, there is a guy on CL that rebuilds them for $900. He's local.

I am also pre-mixing some 2 stroke oil in the fuel for added piece of mind. If the oil injectors work correclty with my electronic control unit (not my ECU) then I will not pre-mix again.
Mike Bellis
Got my Haltech dual wideband O2 controller installed. I am only running one sensor right now but I have the option for another. This is the same unit as the Autometer one just re-packaged. The Autometer version is cheaper and comes with a gauge. Wish I knew that before I bought it mad.gif I will finish up the wiring this weekend after I help Jeff and Lennie get a -6 running. There is a slim chance my car will run on Sunday, July 17th, 2011(I'm setting a goal here) I suspect it will take a couple of days to get it tuned enough to drive it more than around the block. I decided to drive it to work for a week to break in the clutch. 90 miles total per day and mucho traffic both ways. The only time I get to go over 60mph is on the San Mateo Bridge. Once it is tuned enough to drive and break in the clutch... Then I will schedule some dyno time to get the fine tuning completed.

Click to view attachment

Standard Bosch 5 wire O2 sensor...

Click to view attachment
Lennies914
You're a hell of a guy Mike. I would have a hard time going to help someone else when you're sooo close. But I guess that's just what we do. beerchug.gif Can't wait to see and hear the car. You're doing an awsome job. first.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 13 2011, 08:41 PM) *

You're a hell of a guy Mike. I would have a hard time going to help someone else when you're sooo close. But I guess that's just what we do. beerchug.gif Can't wait to see and hear the car. You're doing an awsome job. first.gif

I'm struggling with it sad.gif I told Jeff I would come help him with the wiring while at the tranny clinic. I'll be there! He has shitty timing though biggrin.gif

I do have an eye doctor appt at 8:50am before I'll be there. stupid eyes dry.gif
Andyrew
Good idea on the clutch break in! They can be a bit of a pain..

That first couple of days is going to be tempting to open it up smile.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 13 2011, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 13 2011, 08:41 PM) *

I'm struggling with it sad.gif I told Jeff I would come help him with the wiring while at the tranny clinic. I'll be there! He has shitty timing though biggrin.gif

I do have an eye doctor appt at 8:50am before I'll be there. stupid eyes dry.gif

Awsome Project!! beerchug.gif

Thanks for taking time out from your project to help me out this weekend!! If you need any help on yours let me know!!
thenewwazoo
What're you having trouble with? I might be convinced to swing out there and lend a hand. I've done *cough* a few rotaries.
banksyinoz
i know its a little late but should you consider using either a subaru 5mt or 6mt gearbox behind the 13bt in the future an elderly gent by the name of john sherman who ownes Volks conversions here on the goldcoast queensland AUS is currently building an adaptor kit for me, adaptor plate billet flywheel etc, i will post the details in a new thread when i recieve the goods,

cant wait to see youtube videos of your car when you get it running popcorn[1].gif , its been giving me goosebumps just reading the posts wub.gif
Mike Bellis
The only problem I'm having is work. Going to work is getting in the way of progress. I will get it cranking this weekend. Should be able to start tuning by Sunday.

I will consider a subie tranny. I almost did it but my 901 is in great shape. Kennedy Engineerd Products already makes the adapter and flywheel
banksyinoz

I will comsider a subie tranny. I almost did it but my 901 is in great shape. Kennedy Engineerd Products already makes the adapter and flywheel
[/quote]

That's interesting when I emailed them about 8 months ago they told me they didn't do one ?? Volks conversions actually sell to and buy from Kennedy, if they had it I would have purchased one sad.gif
matthepcat
I feel your pain. Luckily your wife does not give you too much grief for hours in the garage! beerchug.gif

We should get a local gathering in August too see your beast in person.

Matt

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 14 2011, 01:16 PM) *

The only problem I'm having is work. Going to work is getting in the way of progress. I will get it cranking this weekend. Shroud be able to start tuning by Sunday.

I will comsider a subie tranny. I almost did it but my 901 is in great shape. Kennedy Engineerd Products already makes the adapter and flywheel

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 14 2011, 05:38 PM) *

I feel your pain. Luckily your wife does not give you too much grief for hours in the garage! beerchug.gif

We should get a local gathering in August too see your beast in person.

Matt

She is getting tired of this project. She wants it done! That way I will work on my honey-do list. I did help a little painting the house last weekend. Lucky for me, she enjoys painting. She also conquered her fear of the extension ladder.

I think we need a Bay Area Breakfast mid August in Fremont at the house of pancakes.

I put a blanket on my turbo to help mitigate engine bay temps. I ordered a heat sink for my O2 sensor as well. Should be here in a few days.

Click to view attachment

I still can't find my license plates sad.gif

Click to view attachment

I also got a roll bar mount for my Boost gauge. I still need to feed the tube into the cabin and wire the lamp. I'm shooting for 15psi max. I did buy an 8psi spring for my wastegate just in case I want to drop the boost down.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I found both my license plates piratenanner.gif They fell behind my tool box in the garage. dry.gif

GPR hooked me up with a new Hella front turn signal lens. I cracked mine installing my battery up front. Guess I should have lifted it a little higher blink.gif

I also picked up this book on ebay. I posted a link in Sir Andy's thread. This guy has NOS copies of this book. The last print date is 1975 and it is in mint condition. The paper has a little patina too! He has 6 left. I suggest you guys buy them up! Here's his new link... They wont last long!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=170667125143

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 15 2011, 09:19 PM) *

...He has 6 left. I suggest you guys buy them up!
Daiberl
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 15 2011, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 15 2011, 09:19 PM) *

...He has 6 left. I suggest you guys buy them up!

4 biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
I talked to the seller of this 914 book. He has a long time relationship with the author. Still alive, 83 and living in England. He buys NOS books directly from the source. Pretty cool. He has many more to sell.
Kraftwerk
that is going in the glove box! Thanks for the heads up...
Cairo94507
Hey Mike- If you need labor (unskilled but can follow directions) I would be happy to come lend a hand or two since I am close to you. I would like to see your car too.
Michael
Mike Bellis
Worked my ass off today. Almost got it started. I first found a bad fuel pump relay. Had one, easy fix. Then I found the Mazda ignition module bad sad.gif I need a work around. The factory Mazda part is $800. I'm looking for some MSD 6A's or 6AL's. I need 4 of them with coils. Everyone look in your parts bins and give up your extra MSD's. PM me if you have one you want to get rid of. I don't really want to buy new ones $$$. See what you have and hook a brother up!
iamchappy
FOUR! Holy shit how many plugs do you need to fire, 24 blink.gif
I'm firing 2 coils and 12 plugs with one.....

Please explain i dont get it......
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 17 2011, 07:13 PM) *

FOUR! Holy shit how many plugs do you need to fire, 24 blink.gif
I'm firing 2 coils and 12 plugs with one.....

Please explain i dont get it......

Four coils with four ignition signals to one spark plug each. My ECU can infanetly alter the lead and lag spark timing. I could get away with only 3 if I use wasted spark on the leading plugs.

The rotary has 2 leading plugs and 2 trailing plugs. One set for each combustion chamber.
Mike Bellis
I should also mention that I do not have a distributor. Just a pair of crank triggers. Leading and lagging.
banksyinoz
Damn if I only lived over there I could drop a factory one or five around dry.gif
matthepcat
You need and MSD coil like this?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2491630329.html

And the bigger box one like this? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2490164909.html

Also try e-mail this guy to see if he has a working factory unit:http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2496889392.html

Matt

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 17 2011, 06:35 PM) *

Worked my ass off today. Almost got it started. I first found a bad fuel pump relay. Had one, easy fix. Then I found the Mazda ignition module bad sad.gif I need a work around. The factory Mazda part is $800. I'm looking for some MSD 6A's or 6AL's. I need 4 of them with coils. Everyone look in your parts bins and give up your extra MSD's. PM me if you have one you want to get rid of. I don't really want to buy new ones $$$. See what you have and hook a brother up!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 16 2011, 09:46 AM) *

I talked to the seller of this 914 book. He has a long time relationship with the author. Still alive, 83 and living in England. He buys NOS books directly from the source. Pretty cool. He has many more to sell.

My book came today - lightning-fast service! From Santa Ana, no less (where another vendor shipped something last MONDAY and won't arrive until _tomorrow_...)

Boys and girls, in case you don't know what this book is, lemme fill you in:

It is a big-print (i.e. READABLE) version of the long-out-of-print 'Technical Specifications' (i.e. - "LITTLE SPEC BOOK") of _both_ the 914/4 and the engine section from the relevant 911 Spec Book. Yeah - it says '914/4' om the cover. The /6 stuff IS IN THERE!

It is therefore an INCREDIBLE BARGAIN and means I can mostly retire my actual Little Spec Book originals to a safer location.

ALL the weights, measurements, torques. Even disassembly and reassembly instructions which the Spec Books never had. Exploded parts diagrams. Separate wiring diagram which is unfortunately in B&W and 914/4 only (year unspecified...) but still a winner inclusion.

Won't replace the Factory Repair manual, nor even probably the Haynes, but for a single concise reference for those weights, dimensions, and torque numbers - it's a home run.

BUY ONE.

(No affiliation, just a happy customer.)
Mike Bellis
I found a cheaper solution. Haltech makes an Ignitor module. I'm looking at the quad channel ignitor. This will allow me to keep the wasted spark on the leading plugs but also gives me the option to go with 4 direct fire coils. The two lagging coils are already direct fire. The leading coil is a basic dual post type. The Haltech module is directly compatible with the ECU and I won't have to loose the real estate to mount 3 or 4 MSD boxes.

biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I got it running today. It doesn't run great yet but it runs. I hit up the junk yard and scrapped out parts from an RX7. Coils and ignitors. Now I have tuning and clean up to do. the interior is a mess from 9 months of work. The trunk is full of tools, documents and parts. I did notice my #1 trailing coil is not firing. Inductive timing light will not work on that wire. Works on all the others. If I can't get the trailing coil to fire by noon, I will go back and exchange it at the scrap yard. The temp at idle stabilized just under 110F. As the rpm goes up the temp comes down. Found a minor oil leak at a loose AN fitting. fixed it. all fluids stay in the engine now. It's very exciting seeing this POS run.

Big thanks to my wife for putting up with me for over 16 years! wub.gif

Here is the video of the initial run. A neighbor came over and asked if it was a 4 or a 6... happy11.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG5J0FQyxno
matthepcat
Congrats Mike.

That's a BIG accomplishment. You deserve a beer!

Matt
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 23 2011, 09:11 PM) *

I got it running today. It doesn't run great yet but it runs. I hit up the junk yard and scrapped out parts from an RX7. Coils and ignitors. Now I have tuning and clean up to do. the interior is a mess from 9 months of work. The trunk is full of tools, documents and parts. I did notice my #1 trailing coil is not firing. Inductive timing light will not work on that wire. Works on all the others. If I can't get the trailing coil to fire by noon, I will go back and exchange it at the scrap yard. The temp at idle stabilized just under 110F. As the rpm goes up the temp comes down. Found a minor oil leak at a loose AN fitting. fixed it. all fluids stay in the engine now. It's very exciting seeing this POS run.

Big thanks to my wife for putting up with me for over 16 years! wub.gif

Here is the video of the initial run. A neighbor came over and asked if it was a 4 or a 6... happy11.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG5J0FQyxno

Andyrew
Woo HOOO!!!!

Congrats man!!! Now for the hours of tuning smile.gif Thats the fun part.
strawman
Attaboy! piratenanner.gif

I can't wait to see that monster on the road. driving.gif
Lennies914
piratenanner.gif beer.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif pray.gif driving.gif
Mike Bellis
I did some tuning and some driving today. I figured out how to use the auto tune mode with the wideband sensor. It's a 2 person job or a one person on a dyno job. This thing is waaay faster than my V8. It revs up real quick. It does like first gear but I'm hoping to be able to take off from second when I get it tuned better. I'm just not used to shifting from 1st to 2nd. I never used it with my v8. I missed almost every shift. It does not like going from 1st to 4th... BOOOOOGGGGG! The clutch is perfectly set. The shifting is tight, but the 1-2 thing needs practice.

The only bummer is that the oil injector pump does not work with the controller I have. The problem is the TPS compatability. I need to rig up a second TPS or find a dual TPS setup. My contingency plan is to swap the front cover and use a mechanical oil injector pump (I have all the parts). Then I can use a cable linked to the throttle to actuate the pump lever. Early RX7's used this style pump with a rod to move it open/close.

The temp is stable while driving between 180-190F. While parked in the driveway it gets up to 208F. At some point I will add a inline booster pump to help with flow. The stock water pump just can't push like I want at idle. There is a good one I can mount on the lower rad line up front. It has a thermostat to keep the water flowing after shutdown. When I first started the engine, the engine was at 200F and the radiator was at 75F. I revved it up and the coolant started to flow. I'm running pure water with 4 quarts of Water Wetter.

I have no idea how to use my boost controller and the instructions are confusing. The Innovate turbo timer works perfect. I just don't know how to change the time. It's set to keep the engine running for 30 seconds after shut off.

The pyrometer has the exhaust temp around 1000F tooling around the hood. I'm sure it will go up as I start driving it harder and harder... And when I get it tuned better. I set it up rich so I tune it lean. That keeps the tamps down and saves the engine.

Finally, the rotary compression cannot be used as a parking brake by leaving it in gear. I might have to source a real parking brake now. Anyone have any 930 Turbo parking brake stuff?

I'm going to have my wife help me tune while driving... unless there are any voulenteers here.

I am happpy with this conversion. It is going to be a very fast 914. Much thanks to all the PO's for setting up as a race car. I think the roll cage is very appropriate for this setup. The BIG. brake are going to help too...

Here's a pic of the water pump I'm planning to add. Pricey at $400... sad.gif

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Mike,

Congratulations! piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif

It already sounds great.

Great work.

John
Cairo94507
Wow it does sound great. My wife had 2 RX-7's when I met her so I know how fun the rotary is to drive. Very cool.
Andyrew
Wish I was closer... I'd love to help you tune that!

Im not sure that I would be using 1st gear all that much... I would be seriously scared of killing that trani...
cantgo2fast
Wow, this is an awesome build, i keep going back and forth between a rotary and a subaru. If I lived closer id be all over helping you tune. Ever thought of going E85? The you shouldn't need two people for the autotune. Just set the desired AFR in the desired cells and drive. You probably wont hit every cell but after a while you'll be able to fill those in.

I think the gt35R is way overkill for only 15lbs of boost, but hey its your car. I think you could go with a smaller setup and get way more response and faster spool.

I have no idea how to use my boost controller and the instructions are confusing. The Innovate turbo timer works perfect. I just don't know how to change the time. It's set to keep the engine running for 30 seconds after shut off.

Are you using an external wastegate? Is it a manual boost controller? good instructions for hooking up a manual boost controller PM me if you want the essay version of how they work Boost controller diagram

Im not familiar with the innovate turbo timer but 30 sec is fine for any turbo. If you track it you should drive around the pits to let everything cool off a bit anyway. Dang I wish I was closer. How much was the motor if you mind me asking?
banksyinoz
Have a look at the electric water pumps, direct replacement on series 4 onwards, weren't that expensive from memory, should be able to control it from the haltech, we have been running one on a 20b twin turbo drag car doing low 8s with no issues, I am looking to use one.

Car sounds great can't wait for more videos
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(cantgo2fast @ Jul 25 2011, 12:11 AM) *

Wow, this is an awesome build, i keep going back and forth between a rotary and a subaru. If I lived closer id be all over helping you tune. Ever thought of going E85? The you shouldn't need two people for the autotune. Just set the desired AFR in the desired cells and drive. You probably wont hit every cell but after a while you'll be able to fill those in.

I think the gt35R is way overkill for only 15lbs of boost, but hey its your car. I think you could go with a smaller setup and get way more response and faster spool.

Are you using an external wastegate? Is it a manual boost controller? good instructions for hooking up a manual boost controller PM me if you want the essay version of how they work Boost controller diagram

Im not familiar with the innovate turbo timer but 30 sec is fine for any turbo. If you track it you should drive around the pits to let everything cool off a bit anyway. Dang I wish I was closer. How much was the motor if you mind me asking?

The turbo spools super fast. Full boost by 4K rpm. I have a T4 manifold with a ported contoured T3 adapter. It is a ball bearing turbo, oil and water cooled. I went with this turbo for room to expand my hp. The goal is still 300-350hp with room to grow when I pull it appart to port it. Remember this little engine pulls in as much air as a 2.6L engine. That's how they make all the power from a little package. I am running an external HKS WG with an 11psi spring. I have a 6-8psi spring to swap in if needed. I never owned a Subie but I have had several rotaries. I love the rotary. quick rev and high hp with a 8k redline (or higher). I do feel the 901 is a limiting factor on how this car will be driven. I need to save my nickles for a sequencial shift tranny. It would be perfect for this setup.

The boost controller is electronic. I played with it last night. I think I got it programmed to 16psi. I need to set my ECU boost cut higher.

I agree the quick tune will work with one person, but I keep finding myself looking at my laptop while driving. It will be easier with someone else driving while I tune.
Andyrew
Mike lets be honest here, 300-350hp is a ridiculously low goal with that big of a turbo..

IMHO with 15lbs of boost you probably will be in the 400hp range..

I know guys that run that turbo on the 1.8T audi's are making 500+hp but they have to push 25psi.

How predictable is that turbo so far? I know tuning has a lot to do with that, Im just curious how its going.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 25 2011, 08:25 AM) *

Mike lets be honest here, 300-350hp is a ridiculously low goal with that big of a turbo..

IMHO with 15lbs of boost you probably will be in the 400hp range..

I know guys that run that turbo on the 1.8T audi's are making 500+hp but they have to push 25psi.

How predictable is that turbo so far? I know tuning has a lot to do with that, Im just curious how its going.

OK, you got me. I wanted to state a conservitive HP number and not to claim something ridiculas. I will not be dissapointed with 400hp since the torque comes on slowly. tuning is going good so far. I only have about 4-6 hours into it thus far. I spent the first day tuning just to get it to hold an idle. Then I made the video. I stopped at 4pm last night to keep from getting burnt out on it. Just getting it running was a heck of a goal. it spools up to 20psi fast! then my ECU is cutting back fuel. I think I have the boost controller dialed in to 16psi now. We will see in the next few days. I might not get to it tonight due to my work schedule, but I will get to it as soon as I can. The turbo was chosen with room to grow.
Andyrew
I think its a great "room to grow" Turbo If you love the way it spools then its perfect for you.. 4k of usable RPM range is GREAT!

Also.. You know thats a 600hp turbo... smile.gif

Just curious about traction.. Are you having any traction problems when the boost kicks in? Im SURE first gear you do, but what about second?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 25 2011, 08:51 AM) *

I think its a great "room to grow" Turbo If you love the way it spools then its perfect for you.. 4k of usable RPM range is GREAT!

Also.. You know thats a 600hp turbo... smile.gif

Just curious about traction.. Are you having any traction problems when the boost kicks in? Im SURE first gear you do, but what about second?

No traction problems yet. Wait til it's fully tuned. You can feel the boost kick in!
Jeffs9146
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Congrats on getting it running!

No traction problems yet. Wait til it's fully tuned. You can feel the boost kick in!

Watch that boost in the rain!!!

I am getting closer to starting mine! I had to have a new oil line made so I should have that today!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.