Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: College budget restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
chads74
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 25 2014, 04:07 PM) *

I also needed a simple and lightweight solution for a defroster. I ended up with a $20 bilge blower from Ebay, some ducting from Home Cheapo and a little bit of time fabbing up an aluminum vent to replace the factory bakelite piece that would have been there. I didn't see the need to connect it to the cowl as all you really need is air at the same temperature as ambient. I would say the whole thing weighs less than 2-3 pounds.

Last night's rain gave me a chance to try it out with the window fully fogged over. In less than a minute it was clear again - those bilge blowers put out a TON of air.

I need to do this on mine one day.
FourBlades

Great progress! welder.gif

We will be terrorizing chump car this year!

John
ThePaintedMan
Thanks John! I sure hope so. Just need to finish the seats and dash now and order the rest of the gas containers and consumables - brake pads, etc.

... after we get into the house of course.
vw505
You ever find out what was wrong with the old motor?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(vw505 @ Mar 26 2014, 05:21 PM) *

Nope, not yet. Waiting to move into the new house next month with a proper garage for the first time in my life. hands.gif Didn't feel right tearing the heads off of the old motor just to end up getting dirt and debris in the cylinders. Everything I've done thus far on the car has been outside in the driveway full of sand.

But it is indeed on my list of things to do. I want to learn exactly what went wrong. Hopefully do a top-end rebuild to introduce me to these engines before I tear one completely apart. beerchug.gif

All I know is with the linkage working correctly, this thing engine runs like a scalded dog!
2mAn
Just went through the entire thread. Nice work George! I cant wait to join the club. Ive been hanging out, learning and getting more and more anxious to get my hands on one. I love the blue!
ThePaintedMan
Thanks Simon! You'll find one eventually. You've done it right - learn all the bad/susceptible parts of these cars first - take your time and buy one that will leave with with less work to do in the long run. beerchug.gif
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 26 2014, 06:12 PM) *

Nope, not yet. Waiting to move into the new house next month with a proper garage for the first time in my life. hands.gif Didn't feel right tearing the heads off of the old motor just to end up getting dirt and debris in the cylinders. Everything I've done thus far on the car has been outside in the driveway full of sand.

But it is indeed on my list of things to do. I want to learn exactly what went wrong. Hopefully do a top-end rebuild to introduce me to these engines before I tear one completely apart. beerchug.gif

All I know is with the linkage working correctly, this thing engine runs like a scalded dog!

George, when are you Moving? I'll Trade you Truck & Trailer Moving Time for Valve Adjustment/Carb Synch on the Blue 2.0
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 26 2014, 09:07 PM) *

George, when are you Moving? I'll Trade you Truck & Trailer Moving Time for Valve Adjustment/Carb Synch on the Blue 2.0

T.C., it'll be April 18th tentatively. But we'll see. I was going to call you anyways and see if you'd be willing to let me tinker with those carbs and linkage a little. You don't owe me a thing bud.

carr914
Still waiting to get the car back popcorn[1].gif
chads74
Whats getting done to the car T.C.?
vw505
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 26 2014, 03:12 PM) *

I grew up in "the Berg" myself, went to North east High School. I know all about the sand!
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(vw505 @ Mar 27 2014, 10:55 AM) *

I grew up in "the Berg" myself, went to North east High School. I know all about the sand!

No way! That's a rarity - even more rare here on the World. I can count on one hand the people I've met who actually were born here.

If you're ever in town, I'll be happy to treat you to a beer and a burger at Chattaway!
carr914
QUOTE(chads74 @ Mar 27 2014, 09:51 AM) *

Whats getting done to the car T.C.?

Paint

Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
Hey George,
Noticed that your looking to buy fiberglass bumpers for chump. I was going to put my steel ones back on for that race. You think glass will be ok?
Oh, only because we talked about this before, I ran a 2.48 at Sebring trying to chase down Joe in that V-8 beast. Best time yet!
Shane
ThePaintedMan
Hey Shane,
Though I'm a little worried about contact, I think FG is the only way to go with a really underpowered car. That should be in the neighborhood of 30-40 lbs weight savings.

A 2:48 is FLYING in a /4 at Sebring. I'm really impressed man. I still need to return your call headbang.gif so I'll give you a shout at some point this week.
Jetsetsurfshop
Any new progress?
poke.gif
Shane
Larmo63
What is the contact for Perry and the bikini top thingie?

Awesome and entertaining build, btw.....!!!!
Jetsetsurfshop
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productse...sp?Product=2426

Is this the extinguisher system you went with? I'm on again off again about Chumping my ride. blink.gif
ThePaintedMan
Hey guys. Sorry I wasn't around to respond sooner - was in Daytona crewing for a team for this weekend's SCCA Regional race.

Larmo - send me a PM and I'll send you Perry's e-mail address. I'm not sure that he wants it posted publicly. He is still producing the umbrella tops, but he is very busy at the moment, so you'll have to be patient.

Shane, that is indeed the system that I used and I like it a lot. Simple and effective. I chose the 4.0L liter, despite weighing a few more pounds for the added egress time. Although I like doing business with Pegasus, I actually ordered my system from these guys:

http://www.racingfiresystems.com/RacingFir...ed_Systems.html

A little cheaper and every bit counts!
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 5 2014, 05:19 AM) *

Hey guys. Sorry I wasn't around to respond sooner - was in Daytona crewing for a team for this weekend's SCCA Regional race.

Larmo - send me a PM and I'll send you Perry's e-mail address. I'm not sure that he wants it posted publicly. He is still producing the umbrella tops, but he is very busy at the moment, so you'll have to be patient.

Shane, that is indeed the system that I used and I like it a lot. Simple and effective. I chose the 4.0L liter, despite weighing a few more pounds for the added egress time. Although I like doing business with Pegasus, I actually ordered my system from these guys:

http://www.racingfiresystems.com/RacingFir...ed_Systems.html

A little cheaper and every bit counts!

Anything new going on with the Chump build? poke.gif
Can I help?
ThePaintedMan
Still chugging along Shane. Got your e-mail and I promise I'll respond tomorrow - very sorry I have not yet. I need to finish the fiberglass stuff this weekend if possible. Not sure how much is still left after that other than a good shakedown and getting the lights squared away. To date, the limitations have been both time and money related. I'm getting a little bit more of both now, but hopes are still on for September. We'll talk this week.
Jetsetsurfshop
If you car isn't ready, mines pretty close. Just a thought.
Jetsetsurfshop
smile.gif
ablesnead
George or Shane , I have a really nice smooth satin black targa top...if you want you can have...this top was tested at Acme labs in Yehaw Junction ..they estimate a 20 mile an hour speed increase down the back straight !
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 16 2014, 11:08 PM) *

Still chugging along Shane. Got your e-mail and I promise I'll respond tomorrow - very sorry I have not yet. I need to finish the fiberglass stuff this weekend if possible. Not sure how much is still left after that other than a good shakedown and getting the lights squared away. To date, the limitations have been both time and money related. I'm getting a little bit more of both now, but hopes are still on for September. We'll talk this week.

Are you registered for Chump?
ThePaintedMan
Huge thanks to Shane and his stepdad Keith for their assistance with the car. Towed it down to their beautiful shop in Marco Island, and despite the total nightmare of getting down there, it was a productive day. Shane and his family are good peoples. beerchug.gif

We found some issues that I wouldn't have probably diagnosed on my own, but I'll definitely be able to fix in the coming weeks.

Shane's car is really cool too! Very trick and sounds AWESOME.

Yup, T.C., we're registered for the 20th.... now just need to sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif for the next few weeks to get it finished. I'll post pics soon.
Jetsetsurfshop
No worries, glad to help. I would of went home after the tire issue in Port Charlotte. headbang.gif
Thanks for the props on my car, I meant to let you run it around the block. Just ran out of time.
If you need some help on a Sunday to get more stuff done, let me know. I can drive up your way. No big deal.
Shane

T.C., you signed up for Sebring too?
carr914
Yes, I'm signed up for Chump

I'm going to Start another Thread so we don't clog up this Thread
ThePaintedMan
Quite a hectic year, but I'm happy to report the car is now track ready, almost 3 years later. Many updates including a full FIA-rated fire system, custom seat made from a 914 seat shell, custom gauge bezel to hold our VDO gauges, true projector HID lights in the original pop-up housings, fiberglass bumpers, and radio system.

This weekend is the Chumpcar 14 Hours of Sebring and there are several 914World drivers who will be driving the car: FourBlades, JetsetSurfShop and tooms351. Wouldn't have been able to do it without them, or the rest of you here at 914World, including several of our vendors here on the forum. Thank you all!

Though it's a little goofy, I think our theme turned out okay. Our team name: Team Falken Awesome.
ThePaintedMan
Vendors
ThePaintedMan
CFR/Tangerine Racing and lights
ThePaintedMan
Dash and interior
ThePaintedMan
Easy-pull door handle smile.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
The message on the dash is killer. We like to say "keep the shiny side up" See you in a few days! driving.gif
Oh, Seabird will be there too.
carr914
I hope you guys will let me in a Picture or two even though I'm not driving for you!
matthepcat
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 16 2014, 08:07 AM) *

CFR/Tangerine Racing and lights

What light are these?
ThePaintedMan
Absolutely T.C. We'll all get plenty of pictures together I'm sure, including Seabird (Miguel).

Matt, the lights are retrofitted Morimoto Mini projectors inside Ebay housings. Then I had to fabricate some fiberglass covers. It was way more work than I had hoped. At some point I'll go back and take some more pictures if you guys are interested in how I did them.
matthepcat
Nice! I was wondering if you did a retrofit. You must have got your gear from TRS.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 17 2014, 07:10 AM) *

Absolutely T.C. We'll all get plenty of pictures together I'm sure, including Seabird (Miguel).

Matt, the lights are retrofitted Morimoto Mini projectors inside Ebay housings. Then I had to fabricate some fiberglass covers. It was way more work than I had hoped. At some point I'll go back and take some more pictures if you guys are interested in how I did them.

malcolm2
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 16 2014, 10:09 AM) *

Dash and interior

Love the look of the car.

I have a non-racing slightly OT topic for you.... tell me about the gauge holder around the dash. it looks aftermarket for that dash and not "ho-made". I have 4 gauges to add to my daily driver and just can't seem to find a good looking (easy) way. I don't have the center console to putz with, but figured I might have to get one.

Clark

Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 17 2014, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 16 2014, 10:09 AM) *

Dash and interior

Love the look of the car.

I have a non-racing slightly OT topic for you.... tell me about the gauge holder around the dash. it looks aftermarket for that dash and not "ho-made". I have 4 gauges to add to my daily driver and just can't seem to find a good looking (easy) way. I don't have the center console to putz with, but figured I might have to get one.

Clark

Click to view attachment

I seen his gauge cluster, George made it. It's really trick. Want one too. chowtime.gif
arkitect
George,
Great looking race car. I like the way it turned out. A ton of work.

Dave
ThePaintedMan
I'll post pictures of the gauges, gauge cluster, HID lights, etc when I get a chance.

In the meantime, Shane sent me some great pics of the car and the weekend that I wanted to share.

ThePaintedMan
By far my favorite. John noticed we were right under the string of Porsche victories up on the pit building behind us. Very cool!
ThePaintedMan
More race day fun
ThePaintedMan
John is really photogenic.

Click to view attachment

This is the high point of my weekend. Even though we blew a clutch, at some point we had every person under the car working on something to get it back on track. I wish we had timed it, but the important thing is it was done right and I got to work beside some of my best buds. You can also see the disintegrated clutch disk there on the left.

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
We might not have had first gear, but we were back on track!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Night pitstops are really exciting!

Click to view attachment

It's pretty cool to be able to talk to you wife while in the car and NOT have to pickup groceries...

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Click to view attachment

Shane did a great job getting us to the checkered!

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Nice job boys! And thank you 914World, we wouldn't have made it without you all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.