Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MY 71 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chris H.
Ah, got it. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Karl. Carry on sir!
rangrbob
I've been woking on the doors a little. Got the glass and seals in, and did some more fit tweeking. Passenger door gap is much better. Still not perfect, but I can live with it.

Click to view attachment

I also started to install the door panels. I like them a lot, but may end up getting some stock ones to have on hand if I decide to swap them out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I like the door panels with he pocket like a 911. I don't care for the pleated panels on the door. I would lose that leave the pockets.

To be clear, the reason I do not like the pleats, is Bob's car is really a stock restoration and the pleats jump out at you- at least to me they do. Otherwise, on a slightly modified car, no problem. But in keeping with his stock theme, I would just do the door pockets, they are very cool.
bigkensteele
I on the other hand, really like the panels. Where did they come from? Were the arm rests included?
rangrbob
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 22 2015, 08:06 PM) *

I on the other hand, really like the panels. Where did they come from? Were the arm rests included?

I picked them up from Carquip in Boulder Colorado. Tom had them sitting around for awhile. He said they were ordered for a customer who never used them. I'm not sure who made them, and it looks like the part numbers are for stock panels.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Chris H.
I think they look cool.
Ferg
I dig those too, saw them there a while back, glad they are getting used.

francar
great clap56.gif
Nie Zu Alt
Karl,

Your car is beautiful and it's great to watch your progress. Excellent attention to detail! When it's time for the engine to go in, feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Doug
rangrbob
QUOTE(Nie Zu Alt @ Apr 24 2015, 06:37 PM) *

Karl,

Your car is beautiful and it's great to watch your progress. Excellent attention to detail! When it's time for the engine to go in, feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Doug

Will do. Thanks for the offer.
westgl
That is a beautiful car, Excellent work, Love the color I didnt think gold was going to be as nice as it is.

Excellent Excellent work.

I hope my 74' or my 71' comes out that nice.
rangrbob
I messed with installing the back pad and seats today. They are not in for good yet. I still need to run wires for rear fog light, and finish gluing down the carpet. I also need to find a set of seatbelts that are in better condition.

The BWA Pordoi steering wheel is temporary while the stock one is out being wrapped.

The car is slowly getting there. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
altitude411
Thanks for posting all these great photos, the car looks amazing and I really like the door panels. Excellent build. beerchug.gif
bigkensteele
smilie_pokal.gif Looking great!

If you ever decide to go back to stock door panels, please PM me. I really like those and think that they would look much better in my non-original car. poke.gif
rangrbob
Today I focused on prepping to install a rear fog light.

Click to view attachment

I made a little tool to mark a green line on some 16ga white primary wire. I used a small tube with a hole drilled in the side, and insterted a green Sharpie. It worked pretty well. You just need to have a helper pull the wire though the tube at a slow constant pace as not to get an uneven line.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I need to find some PVC wire sleeving to complete the harness.
Cairo94507
Very creative biggrin.gif .
raynekat
Curious what kind of bracket you're going to use to mount the rear fog.

I'll be doing a similar thing soon.
rangrbob
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 30 2015, 10:46 PM) *

Curious what kind of bracket you're going to use to mount the rear fog.

I'll be doing a similar thing soon.

The lamp came with a little adjustable bracket. I just used it. It worked well enough.

Click to view attachment

I also found a local source for the sheathing and picked up the correct wire since they had some in stock. I recreated the factory harness and ran it to the dash as I thought it should. Not much more room in the snorkel!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very nice. Any light you add to the rear of our cars is all good.
altitude411
How does that mount work? Great light for fog safe driving. thumb3d.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 1 2015, 11:07 PM) *

How does that mount work? Great light for fog safe driving. thumb3d.gif

It is held on by a threaded stud with a square head to keep it from spinning in the bracket. The lamp attaches to a little adjustable tab that bolts to the bracket.

You can see it in the picture I found on the classicult web page.

Click to view attachment
rangrbob
This car is going to be the death of me! The wiring harness started on fire today. headbang.gif

Luckily I was able to pull the power soon enough before it got too far along. It looks like I just lost all of the blk/blu wires from the headlight switch running to the gauges.

Click to view attachment

Not sure what happened. I don't know if the dimmer switch is bad or it was due to the fact that I had the fog light relay disconnected. Luckily I do have another little harness that feeds the gauge bulbs. I just need to run a new feed wire from the switch to it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
OMG! Karl I have nightmares over exactly that same thing.

I have an NOS wiring harness for my Six. I feel blessed to have scored that. I am so fearful that once the battery gets hooked up (approx. 4 months or so from now unsure.gif ) that the smoke demon will appear. I still have my original harness and will likely keep that as a safety blanket just in case.

I hope you are able to definitely determine why that happened so it is never a concern in the future. I love your restoration.
Michael
914Black
Beautiful car! congrats
raynekat
That's the reason I'm going with a brand new wiring harness from Kroon in Holland. For sure the last thing I want to worry about.

Wishing you luck with chasing the electrical gremlins....I know that can be a tough thing.
Chris H.
Whew! That could have been worse! Man that lighting circuit can be finicky. That's the 3rd or 4th issue like that I've heard of in the last year or so. Glad you caught it before it melted the interior or messed up that pretty paint!
Kraftwerk
ArgggH! sorry to hear about those melted wires. I was dreaming along with this story and last thing I wanted to hear was a dash fire. Anyway, I am sure you will get it sorted. Your skills are immense.

As for the air cleaner, it is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the proper 1971 air cleaner was the oil - bath type. Most owners switched that potentially messy thing out to the 1972 part which your car has. I still have my oil bath on a shelf but am running a '72 as well.

The more I look at your gold car ....and think about my gold car.. let's just say I am very impressed with this project and if envy can be respectful, I guess I am a bit envious as well..
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 5 2015, 07:17 PM) *

OMG! Bob I have nightmares over exactly that same thing.

I have an NOS wiring harness for my Six. I feel blessed to have scored that. I am so fearful that once the battery gets hooked up (approx. 4 months or so from now unsure.gif ) that the smoke demon will appear. I still have my original harness and will likely keep that as a safety blanket just in case.

I hope you are able to definitely determine why that happened so it is never a concern in the future. I love your restoration.
Michael

Michael,

I hope I can determine the issue. I'm a bit worried that even if I am able to replace the wires, the same thing may end up happening again. A couple years back, I did buy an NOS harness. It was beautiful. However, it turned out to be either a six harness or a European version. Almost everything was the identical with the exception of the dash wires. There were several extra wires that didn't match the original.

I sent it, along with my original harness, and a complete 72 harness off to be restored in hopes that between the three harnesses, I would get a very good harness for my car. After getting the harness back, it appears very little of the NOS wire harness was used to restore my original one.

Even though the restorer did a good job building me a complete harness, I'm disappointed that many of the wires and connectors were still covered with paint. Between the cost of restoration and the price I paid for the two other harnesses, I invested close to 3k, and then I almost ruin the whole thing. sad.gif

Hey, at least I didn’t burn up the car. I just have to fix it and continue on.

Thanks for the support, and continued encouragement.

Karl
rangrbob
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ May 5 2015, 09:53 PM) *

ArgggH! sorry to hear about those melted wires. I was dreaming along with this story and last thing I wanted to hear was a dash fire. Anyway, I am sure you will get it sorted. Your skills are immense.

As for the air cleaner, it is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the proper 1971 air cleaner was the oil - bath type. Most owners switched that potentially messy thing out to the 1972 part which your car has. I still have my oil bath on a shelf but am running a '72 as well.

The more I look at your gold car ....and think about my gold car.. let's just say I am very impressed with this project and if envy can be respectful, I guess I am a bit envious as well..

Thank you kind Sir. smile.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ May 5 2015, 09:53 PM) *

Thank you kind Sir. smile.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ May 5 2015, 08:53 PM) *
Most owners switched that potentially messy thing out to the 1972 part which your car has.

I believe the 72 was still an oil bath air cleaner--but one with extra stuff on the inlet, because they were going to run warm air to it from the heat exchangers and then changed their mind at the last minute. The 73 1.7s had the paper filter.

--DD
stugray
QUOTE(rangrbob @ May 5 2015, 10:30 PM) *

Michael,

I hope I can determine the issue. I'm a bit worried that even if I am able to replace the wires, the same thing may end up happening again. A couple years back, I did buy an NOS harness. It was beautiful. However, it turned out to be either a six harness or a European version. Almost everything was the identical with the exception of the dash wires. There were several extra wires that didn't match the original.

I sent it, along with my original harness, and a complete 72 harness off to be restored in hopes that between the three harnesses, I would get a very good harness for my car. After getting the harness back, it appears very little of the NOS wire harness was used to restore my original one.

Even though the restorer did a good job building me a complete harness, I'm disappointed that many of the wires and connectors were still covered with paint. Between the cost of restoration and the price I paid for the two other harnesses, I invested close to 3k, and then I almost ruin the whole thing. sad.gif

Hey, at least I didn’t burn up the car. I just have to fix it and continue on.

Thanks for the support, and continued encouragement.

Karl

I have a complete harness from a 71 that I removed from my car intact.
It had a few mods made to it in the steering column area to move the ignition switch to the dash.
Other than that it is 90% complete and has the relay board & fuse block.

If it is any use to you, I am in Longmont.
I would also consider it an honor if you were to stop by & see my racecar project.
Your project is awe-inspiring.

edit - I also have an aircleaner box that accepts the paper filter instead of the oil bath.
rangrbob
I was able to get all the burned wires replaced today, and everything seems to be back to normal. I did find two wires in the DS tailight melted as well. I hope nothing else pops up.

The worst of it.
Click to view attachment

Replaced this little grey jump wire too.
Click to view attachment
Ferg
I really really cant wait to see this in person! beerchug.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 6 2015, 07:36 PM) *

I really really cant wait to see this in person! beerchug.gif

Hey Michael,

I just sent you a PM. Just give me a call, and I'll be happy to show you the car. You can stop by and pick up Stuart on the way. As he wants to see it as well.smile.gif

Karl
rangrbob
My painter asked me to come by and look at the rockers and valances. He was not happy with the texture, and thought they were too glossy. I brought one home and set it up on the car to see how they would look. I think they look pretty good, but have no reference to compare with how they really should look.

Feed back would be appreciated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also, I started thinking about installing the drivetrain. unsure.gif Might be jumping the gun, but I wanted to see if I could use the dolly lift. Looks like it may just work. Kinda scarry lifting the car that high though.

Click to view attachment

zambezi
rockers look good to me
Cairo94507
They look nice to me - not to shiney and not flat, just right.
altitude411
agree.gif Getting close now eh Bob? Wa hoo! beerchug.gif
rangrbob
It's on the operating table ready for the new heart.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
francar
14.gif
Ferg
drooley.gif drooley.gif Keep up the good work.
rangrbob
I ran into another snag today.

While bleeding the brakes, I found that the pistons in the front calipers do not move. Not sure what might be going on. I do get fluid out the bleeder valve, so I know fluid is getting to the caliper. I pulled the pads on the passenger side and attempted to free the pistons to no avail. confused24.gif

Hopefully, PMB will be able to give me some tech help when I call them tomorrow.
rangrbob
I found out that I had installed the front calipers incorrectly. I had the drivers' side on the passenger side, and vise versa. Bleeder valves needed to be on top! dry.gif

I also fixed some issues with kinks in the fuel lines under the tank, and installed the steering skid plate.

Click to view attachment

Is this little black drain tube supposed to go here?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still can't get the gaps on the passenger side headlight to be even. The drivers' side is pretty good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
The more of your car I see, the more beautiful it looks. You have done and are doing an incredible job. Your car looks better than when they were brand new. smilie_pokal.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 22 2015, 07:05 AM) *

The more of your car I see, the more beautiful it looks. You have done and are doing an incredible job. Your car looks better than when they were brand new. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks again for the praises Mike. Out of all my restorations, this has been the most extensive and detailed. Even though it's, by definition, not concours, it's going to be pretty darn close.

Hey BTW,

I may have something you're going to want for your car if you haven't already tracked one down. smile.gif I'll send you a picture when I get it back from the body shop, and confirm it's wrong for my car!

Cheers beerchug.gif

Karl
rangrbob
sad.gif The smoke Demon reared its head for the second time in a month. The harness started on fire again! This time it was the WHT/GRN wire that runs from the headlight switch to the parking light lamp on the speedometer. This car is going to be the life of me!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not sure what's going on. There must be a short in the harness some place, or in the headlight switch.

Cairo94507
I am so sorry to see that this problem is persisting. I hope you check the entire harness and are able to definitively identify the source. There has to be a commonality between the two incidents so far. Electrical stuff scares me -
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 27 2015, 07:10 PM) *

I am so sorry to see that this problem is persisting. I hope you check the entire harness and are able to definitively identify the source. There has to be a commonality between the two incidents so far. Electrical stuff scares me -

Electrical scares me too! It seems like everytime I get one thing worked out, something else pops up. I do have a line on a NOS harness for a 70. I'm just not sure I want to drop another grand into the wiring though.

By the way. Looky what I have. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ferg
Nice valance sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.