Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MY 71 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rangrbob @ May 27 2015, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 27 2015, 07:10 PM) *

I am so sorry to see that this problem is persisting. I hope you check the entire harness and are able to definitively identify the source. There has to be a commonality between the two incidents so far. Electrical stuff scares me -

Electrical scares me too! It seems like everytime I get one thing worked out, something else pops up. I do have a line on a NOS harness for a 70. I'm just not sure I want to drop another grand into the wiring though.

By the way. Looky what I have. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Exhaust comes out on the wrong side, the way I see it. blink.gif

Aside from your setbacks, still looking great - keep it up! smilie_pokal.gif
raynekat
I just purchased an NOS harness for a 71 914-4 from Aase Porsche. Not inexpensive but factory and has all the connectors, grommets and snorkel. They have more. My harness was in really sad shape....PO's had hacked it up badly.
Claus Graf
Awesome work!
rangrbob
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 28 2015, 12:37 AM) *

I just purchased an NOS harness for a 71 914-4 from Aase Porsche. Not inexpensive but factory and has all the connectors, grommets and snorkel. They have more. My harness was in really sad shape....PO's had hacked it up badly.

Thanks. I saw theirs too, and was already thinking of getting one.
rangrbob
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 27 2015, 10:29 PM) *

QUOTE(rangrbob @ May 27 2015, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 27 2015, 07:10 PM) *

I am so sorry to see that this problem is persisting. I hope you check the entire harness and are able to definitively identify the source. There has to be a commonality between the two incidents so far. Electrical stuff scares me -

Electrical scares me too! It seems like everytime I get one thing worked out, something else pops up. I do have a line on a NOS harness for a 70. I'm just not sure I want to drop another grand into the wiring though.

By the way. Looky what I have. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Exhaust comes out on the wrong side, the way I see it. blink.gif

Aside from your setbacks, still looking great - keep it up! smilie_pokal.gif

Nope. Correct side. It's just for a 6. Luckily, it's already spoken for if I decide to sell it. smile.gif
Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(rangrbob @ May 28 2015, 07:35 AM) *

Thanks. I saw theirs too, and was already thinking of getting one.

The Aase harness arrived today and it's a beauty.
The snorkel is in great shape as are all the connectors and rubber grommets.
To me it was a no brainer for a 44 year old car.
rangrbob
piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It didn't go in without a fight though.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hated to do it, but I decided to "clearance" the tins rather than remove the rear suspension. I have to give "props" to my 87 year old Dad who was laying under the car with me getting in. beerchug.gif

Looking at the starter, I think I'll pull it and re-paint it.

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
I am a proponent of the threaded rod method for engine removal and installation for this very reason. Tiny adjustments are made possible, so clearance issues are negated.

However, you are done now, so good work. Great work for your Dad! I hope he gets the first ride!
Downunderman
The wiring loom in my project is a shambles. For a car on carbs, has anyone used one of the aftermarket looms eg Painless? If so, which one? I think I will be going with the Speedhut gauges which should make it simpler.
Ferg
Nice work!

I hope you made it through last nights storms ok!!!
rangrbob
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 5 2015, 07:37 AM) *

Nice work!

I hope you made it through last nights storms ok!!!

Luckily, the storms just missed us. We'll see what tonight brings.
etcmss
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Jun 4 2015, 10:18 PM) *

piratenanner.gif
Hooray for Dad

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It didn't go in without a fight though.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hated to do it, but I decided to "clearance" the tins rather than remove the rear suspension. I have to give "props" to my 87 year old Dad who was laying under the car with me getting in. beerchug.gif

Looking at the starter, I think I'll pull it and re-paint it.

Click to view attachment

76-914
Outstanding work! smilie_pokal.gif You'll get my vote when this comes up for the COTM. You have the patients of Jobe!
stugray
QUOTE(etcmss @ Jun 5 2015, 09:32 AM) *

Hated to do it, but I decided to "clearance" the tins rather than remove the rear suspension.

I think your issue was that the engine was TOO stable as you raised it based on the pic.

I usually balance the assembly on a floor jack as you raise it and that allows you to tip it side to side to clear the suspension bolts.

Engine looks great! You are so close!
mepstein
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 5 2015, 01:44 PM) *

Hated to do it, but I decided to "clearance" the tins rather than remove the rear suspension.

I think your issue was that the engine was TOO stable as you raised it based on the pic.

I usually balance the assembly on a floor jack as you raise it and that allows you to tip it side to side to clear the suspension bolts.

"I usually balance the assembly on a floor jack as you raise it and that allows you to tip it side to side to clear the suspension bolts. "
---exactly what I did when I reinstalled my engine.
rangrbob
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 5 2015, 11:44 AM) *

Good Point! I just had no safe way to get the motor and trans off the lift, and I had a wild hair to get it installed. So, I went for it. smile.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 5 2015, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 5 2015, 01:44 PM) *

"I usually balance the assembly on a floor jack as you raise it and that allows you to tip it side to side to clear the suspension bolts. "
---exactly what I did when I reinstalled my engine.

Not sure what I was thinking. I use floor jacks all the time with my Bug and Bus engine installs. I'm sure something will come up and the motor will have to come out again anyway. If so, I can always swap out the tins. Especially, if I decide to take it to full blown concours!
rangrbob
Over the past couple days, I've been messing with getting the linkage in. I still need to do some more adjusting. The Weltmeister Short Shift Kit is causing me problems!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

While under the car I found a leak in the passenger side rear break hard line! I hope I can tend to it without pulling the motor back out. sad.gif

I'm also stalling on yanking the gas tank and blower box to fix a wiper issue. They move down towards the cowl a few inches before sweeping. I found a thread on how to fix the problem last week, but can no longer find it. It had something to do with the wiper motor and how it's attached to the arms.
rangrbob
driving.gif it yesterday!

Linkage needs a lot of adjustment, and the brakes need work too!

I got tired of trying to fix both, so I installed some 3mm rivet nuts and button head allen srews to fasten the threshold trim. They are a little bigger than the plastic rivets, but have a similar look.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif Congratulations on your first drive! How cool is that. I am so jealous.
Ferg
driving.gif Sweet! Congrats.

Chris H.
Nice work Karl. You'll need to bleed the brakes a few times. Do you have a power bleeder?

Congrats, and cool idea with the rivnuts. Might steal that.
rangrbob
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 24 2015, 11:03 AM) *

Nice work Karl. You'll need to bleed the brakes a few times. Do you have a power bleeder?

Congrats, and cool idea with the rivnuts. Might steal that.

Chris,

I have bled brakes four times now, and they are still soft. I used a pneumatic bleeder and the old school second person pumping method. I have an appointment to take in next week. I'll have the guys do the brakes, linkage adjustment, tune it up, and find out why the alternator is not charging.

If you can’t find any 3mm rivet nuts, let me know. I’ll put together a little package deal for you.

Karl
rangrbob
The to do list is getting shorter! Today I fabricated a battery hold down, and got it out in the sun to take a couple pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
turk22
Beautiful!

beerchug.gif

first.gif
Kraftwerk
Wow! So great to see. better than 'factory'. I am guessing the interior was never black on a gold car, pretty sure brown was standard, black looks so much better. Appreciate you went the extra distance with fixing the panel gaps. etc. etc.
Enjoy.
altitude411
Fantastic car and beautiful resto. Enjoy it and be proud of your work! Well done. smilie_pokal.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Jun 27 2015, 08:45 AM) *

Wow! So great to see. better than 'factory'. I am guessing the interior was never black on a gold car, pretty sure brown was standard, black looks so much better. Appreciate you went the extra distance with fixing the panel gaps. etc. etc.
Enjoy.

It did come with black interior. I had actually thought about going with a tan one in the beginning of this project until I got the COA.

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Beautiful job Bob.

Couple things - when installing the engine, if you slide a piece of flat metal, or even better, plastic (like those really thin, flexible "cutting boards" in between the tin and the trailing arm bolt on both sides, it'll allow the tin to slide it's way past the bolt without catching. Shouldn't scratch the paint if you do it right and you don't have to risk tilting the engine.

The brakes probably are close, but you've got air trappped in the factory pressure relief valve (sometimes referred to as the proportioning valve). May I suggest you carefully find a quiet, straight section of road, then REALLY get on the binders. Do this several times, as if you were bedding the pads. Then bring it back to the garage and re-bleed. That should do it and save you a couple of bucks.

rangrbob
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 8 2015, 08:04 PM) *

Beautiful job Bob.

Couple things - when installing the engine, if you slide a piece of flat metal, or even better, plastic (like those really thin, flexible "cutting boards" in between the tin and the trailing arm bolt on both sides, it'll allow the tin to slide it's way past the bolt without catching. Shouldn't scratch the paint if you do it right and you don't have to risk tilting the engine.

The brakes probably are close, but you've got air trappped in the factory pressure relief valve (sometimes referred to as the proportioning valve). May I suggest you carefully find a quiet, straight section of road, then REALLY get on the binders. Do this several times, as if you were bedding the pads. Then bring it back to the garage and re-bleed. That should do it and save you a couple of bucks.

Thanks for the tips. smile.gif

Karl
rangrbob
Today I went in search of a 4cyl rear valance for my car with no luck. However, I did bring home some goodies. I plan on going back for a 1970 6cyl and trans. Unfortunitly the body was crushed years ago. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The Honey Hole. smile.gif
Click to view attachment

My next project that the 6 will go into.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Hi Karl- I am sure with your attention to detail, the next car will be just as nice as the current one. I look forward to watching that come together too.
KELTY360
This is a great build! Your attention to detail separates it from many others and puts it at a level with some of the best. Congratulations on the first drive. driving.gif first.gif

Now for a picking of the nit...because it's what we do. You've got to paint that battery hold down and trim the battery mat back to flush with the battery. Everything else looks too good to have those distractions.

BTW, re: that blue '70.......there is a seat for you at the 12 Step meeting. poke.gif
Chris H.
Nice Karl! Early one...Those wheels are from a Sportbug and might be worth a little money (not much, but something). Just so you don't throw them away. Sell them on The Samba.
stugray
May I ask where that junkyard is "The Honey Hole. "?

I have been searching for a place in CO near us and the junkyard in Erie (by the landfill) that had all the buses is closed.
rangrbob
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 10 2015, 08:13 AM) *

This is a great build! Your attention to detail separates it from many others and puts it at a level with some of the best. Congratulations on the first drive. driving.gif first.gif

Now for a picking of the nit...because it's what we do. You've got to paint that battery hold down and trim the battery mat back to flush with the battery. Everything else looks too good to have those distractions.

BTW, re: that blue '70.......there is a seat for you at the 12 Step meeting. poke.gif

I plan on getting the strap powder coated and putting black rubber under the battery. The car has been off getting tuned, and aligned, so I haven't been able to finish that part of the project.

I don't mind the Nit Picking. It helps me make the car better.

Thanks

Karl
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 10 2015, 07:10 AM) *

Hi Karl- So does that mean you have another build in the future or are you considering slipping that in the present (perfect) car?

Michael,

I did think about putting it in my gold car, only for a second though. smile.gif The blue car is a potential project. The guy I may get it from thought it would be a good tribute car for the #1 team car, but that's been done before.

I was thinking of a flared Irish Green car with light tan interior biggrin.gif The original color is Tangerine and it has the original motor, so I could always restore it to stock and hold onto the six and trans for something else down the road too.
rangrbob
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 10 2015, 09:57 AM) *

May I ask where that junkyard is "The Honey Hole. "?

I have been searching for a place in CO near us and the junkyard in Erie (by the landfill) that had all the buses is closed.

You may, but its a secret. poke.gif It's actually a private party's personal stash. He was grasious enough to show me around and let some stuff go.
rangrbob
I think my car is possessed! Yesterday while driving back from Boulder the linkage separated in the tunnel. After towing it to the shop to get that fixed the battery blew it's top on the way home, and sprayed acid all over! headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
What the heck? That car needs an exorcism and quick so it does not hurt itself any more. "The power of Porsche compels you!"
Ferg
Oh No! Hopefully no damage, looks like the paint did ok.
raynekat
That's crazy!
I didn't think that was possible with those "sealed" type batteries.
Any word on how or why something like this would happen?
Hopefully you've contacted Odyssey directly?
I'm thinking this is really a rare occurrence....
rangrbob
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 17 2015, 04:03 PM) *

That's crazy!
I didn't think that was possible with those "sealed" type batteries.
Any word on how or why something like this would happen?
Hopefully you've contacted Odyssey directly?
I'm thinking this is really a rare occurrence....

Two theories:

One is that it overheated being in the engine compartment.

The other is that the alt is putting out too many amps even though the voltage shows 13.5 at the battery.

Not sure how to check either really.

Batteries Plus is exchanging the battery either way. smile.gif It does suck to have to deal with figuring out another issue, and to have to deal with more paint repair though!
raynekat

Two theories:

One is that it overheated being in the engine compartment.

The other is that the alt is putting out too many amps even though the voltage shows 13.5 at the battery.

Not sure how to check either really.

Batteries Plus is exchanging the battery either way. smile.gif It does suck to have to deal with figuring out another issue, and to have to deal with more paint repair though!

Again, I'd contact Odyssey directly as they know most about their own batteries especially the overheating scenario.

A voltmeter can tell you what your alternator is putting out.
It's a necessary gauge for these older cars....

Yep, sorry about the paint repairs.
rangrbob
Today I decided to go ahead and change out the dash face vinyl at the recomendation of several of you. Was not bad as I thought it was going to be.

I did however manage to get finger prints all over! Going to have to spend some time cleaning. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I just noticed that one of the gromets for the pedals on my carpet is broken. sad.gif
Cairo94507
Karl - That looks very nice - good job as always.
arkitect
Beautiful job on your restoration, love the color as stated by many.

Honey Hole........ drooley.gif

Dave
rangrbob
A while back, I made up all versions of the tire pressure decals. Today, I finally got around to printing some up on foil and installed the 1971 version on my expansion tank.

Not the greatest quality pictures though.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
srreality
Just for the 914 World audience, I spent some time with this car and it's owner earlier this week. Karl does beautiful work, very thorough and painstaking. He was gracious enough to let me look at how a complete 914 should look and give me some tips on the project I'm considering. Mine would not be show car quality like this one, but it will be a very clean, issue free and completely functional "driver".

Thanks, Karl!! pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.