Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MY 71 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
rangrbob
Today, I picked up a stock muffler I found a few weeks ago from the powder coater, and replaced the Bursch unit with it. I think it is actually may be for a 411 wagon due to the longer outlet pipe, but it looks like it might work with the 6 rear valance. If so, I'll run it until I can find a good early 4 cyl valance. I also dropped the car off at my mechanic to figure out what caused the battery to blow its' top. We are thinking that the voltage regulator is faulty.

All I pretty much have to do is install the rear valance and knock out a couple small items on the "To Do" list, and the car will be finished. piratenanner.gif

I plan on showing it at the Ed Carroll Show on the 23rd.

http://www.edcarrollvw.com/westfest-carshow.htm

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
first.gif Terrific build and a great car. Enjoy.
Ferg
I'm gonna try and make it up to the show. beerchug.gif
rangrbob
Got the short valance back today from the painter, so I put it on the car. I'll run it until I can get an early 4cyl snow shovel.

Click to view attachment

If any of you are close to Peter ( 0396 ) in the Baldwin Park area of California, and are willing to pick up and ship the one he has, PM me please. I'll cover the costs.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=262375

Karl
raynekat
I'm going with the shorter rear valance on my 71 restoration project.
I think the "snow shovel" has too many issues.....one being holding too much heat in the rear portion of the car.

Your car is looking very nice.
Keep up the great work.
I'm archiving some of your post to help me with my restoration.
Yours is that good. wink.gif
rangrbob
Getting it ready for a local show this Sunday. It's looking pretty good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
johnhora
Good Luck at the car show....You have a WINNER there....Very Nice!!!
Phoenix914
beer.gif chowtime.gif pray.gif
rangrbob
Here are a couple 914s from last year's show. I'm not sure if the owners are members here, but they had a couple of very clean cars.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ferg
I'm going to try and make it up for the show. I'll look for you for sure. smilie_pokal.gif
rangrbob
The 2015 Ed Carroll show was pretty fun. I took First Place! smile.gif Here are a couple other 914s that were at the show.

Click to view attachment

Very nice 72.

Click to view attachment

Clean very low mileage (13,835) 74. Originally Sunflower Yellow. The current owner said it was repainted Pearl White by the original owner in 76.

Click to view attachment

The Red 74 was previously owend by Evel Knievel's brother Nic, and was purchased by the dealership's owner Ed Carroll. It is now owned by John Carroll, Ed's son.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stevegm
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Aug 23 2015, 05:45 PM) *

The 2015 Ed Carroll show was pretty fun. I took First Place! smile.gif Here are a couple other 914s that were at the show.

Congratulations. Great looking car.
turk22
agree.gif

Well Deserved!
Camaro Mike
Congratulations! It has to feel great after all your hard work.
Cairo94507
first.gif As it should be. What a wonderful acknowledgment of all the hard work you put into your car. Well deserved and definitely earned.
Ferg
smilie_pokal.gif Sorry I missed it. Congrats!
rangrbob
A few months ago, I tracked down the correct rear valance for my car. Thanks go out to Peter and Bruce. Fed Ex just dropped it off today. smile.gif I'll have to drop it off to the fabricator so he can straighten it out, and do some welding before it gets painted. I think it will be stored away,and installed for shows instead of keeping it on the car for now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Make sure it's the "porthole" valance for a -4 if you have a -4, or for a -6 if you have a -6 with an actual 914-6 muffler. The portholes are in slightly different locations.

I believe that a 911 muffler will actually put the tailpipe in the location of the -4 porthole, or at least close to it!

--DD
rangrbob
I have a 6 valance as well. Neither fit with the current exhaust. The tail pipe on the exhaust is for a Type IV VW. I'll need to shorten it a few inches to fit the 4 cyl port hole valance or change out the exhaust again.

Either way, I'm just glad to have found the valance. It will add to the value of the car if I decide to sell it. I've got an eye on an 71 911. unsure.gif
rangrbob
I showed the car again this year at the 2016 Ed Carroll show.

Lots of nice Porsches!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
76-914
Very nice and well deserved; again. Couldn't help but notice the Subaru Dealer in the back drop. happy11.gif
stugray
Sorry but what is the turqouise car in the background of the pic above?
The front looks like a Karmann Ghia, but the trunk lid and rear window line looks like a corvair.

And A fiberglass rear valance could solve your exhaust alignment issues as I have "moved" the hole over on one to fit my KH header with supertrapp exhaust.
Looks like factory from the back
Ferg
Type 34 Ghia
rangrbob
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 24 2016, 01:33 PM) *

Very nice and well deserved; again. Couldn't help but notice the Subaru Dealer in the back drop. happy11.gif

Thanks Mike.

Today I added one more final detail. A while back, I had the guys at CarBone make me a octane decal, and it finally got here. smile.gif Turned out pretty good. I even tried to put it in the same location of the original.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(rangrbob @ May 27 2015, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 27 2015, 07:10 PM) *

I am so sorry to see that this problem is persisting. I hope you check the entire harness and are able to definitively identify the source. There has to be a commonality between the two incidents so far. Electrical stuff scares me -

Electrical scares me too! It seems like everytime I get one thing worked out, something else pops up. I do have a line on a NOS harness for a 70. I'm just not sure I want to drop another grand into the wiring though.

By the way. Looky what I have. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm happy to see the early port hole rear valance end up on such a wonderful resto pray.gif
seanery
Did you ever find out what was wrong the wiring? Harness? Switch? Operator error?

Thats on e of the worries that I have! Operator Error, that is!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.