Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MY 71 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Cairo94507
Wow that looks terrific in the sun! Keep the pictures coming.
rangrbob
Stopped by to check on progress of the cutting and buffing. Looks fantastic!

Took a couple pictures with my phone. Not the greatest quality, but you get the idea.

I should have the body back on Wed. They are still working on the doors, trunk lids, rockers, and valances.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phoenix914
beer.gif chowtime.gif drooley.gif pray.gif

Beautiful!
skaufmann
Okay you're inspiring me. I have a 72 914/4 metallic gold as well. Original paint is under a layer of cheap metallic gold respray. I inherited it. 2nd owner. It's all original. Still has a few layers of 1970's UCLA parking stickers on backside of rearview mirror. It's drivable but in rough shape. Hello hole and rear trunk deck is only rust spots I can find in common areas with a poker.

I need to go drive her now.
rangrbob
Got the body back today. Now the fun starts! I really don't even know where to start. I think I'll begin by putting on the suspension and getting it back on the ground.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rangrbob
QUOTE(skaufmann @ Nov 5 2014, 01:16 PM) *

Okay you're inspiring me. I have a 72 914/4 metallic gold as well. Original paint is under a layer of cheap metallic gold respray. I inherited it. 2nd owner. It's all original. Still has a few layers of 1970's UCLA parking stickers on backside of rearview mirror. It's drivable but in rough shape. Hello hole and rear trunk deck is only rust spots I can find in common areas with a poker.

I need to go drive her now.

Thanks for the kind words. Just be warned, if you plan on going down the full blown restoration path, you could easily spend two to three times what the car is actually worth. Don't ask how I know that. biggrin.gif
falcor75
That looks great, I got mine back from paint last week so I'm in a bit of the same state....where to start? Figured I'd start with the steering gear and front suspension as far as I can. Waiting for parts for a 5 bolt conversion.

Keep up the good work! smile.gif
DRPHIL914
aktion035.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

very nice! mine is 75-copper metalic and really needs the bad re-spray sanded off and redone properly - this inspires me to get that done!
Tbrown4x4
Beautiful!!

Remember: Assembly is the reverse of disassembly!
rangrbob
Started working on the wiring harness. I had to cut down the snorkel tube about an inch and re-glue it together to make it fit better. I think it turned out pretty good. I even found some green duck tape to replicate the original.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After fishing the rear wires through the tunnel and snorkel, I noticed a bit of a problem. I ran the harness incorrectly. headbang.gif Luckily, it was easier to pull the front half back through to fix the problem. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Also, replaced the original markings under the dash.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Random question...

Does your 1971 harness have a 12 or 14 pin connector at the steering column? If it is 14, what is the date code on the car?

I have a supposed 1971 chassis harness with a 12-pin connector, but I think the 1971 should have a 14 pin.

Kudos to a great looking car and project.
rick 918-S
OMG! That color is outrageous! drooley.gif Just don't scratch it. You won't match it. Ask me how I know..
rangrbob
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 21 2014, 08:07 PM) *

Random question...

Does your 1971 harness have a 12 or 14 pin connector at the steering column? If it is 14, what is the date code on the car?

I have a supposed 1971 chassis harness with a 12-pin connector, but I think the 1971 should have a 14 pin.

I won't be able to check for a couple days, but I think it is a 14 pin. The car was built in January of 71.

BTW Jeff, You built the harness! smile.gif It Turned out great.
rangrbob
I've been doing a little more work on the wiring, and putting a few parts back on.

I used 11' of 1/2" shrink tubing to cover all the wire tabs, then promptly broke two off. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
altitude411
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Excellent looking work. This is going to be a beautifully restored car for sure.
saigon71
That is one meticulous resto you have going on there! Looks fantastic - keep up the good work.

Keep the pics rolling in too! beerchug.gif
Last930
You are a better man than I - I'd never try a project like that, because it would most likely end up sitting half finished like all my other projects. It looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing it finished and back on the road. Great work!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Nov 28 2014, 05:06 PM) *

The #1 most sumptuous color ever....like the early morning Sun on a field of buttercups.... drooley.gif
rangrbob
Today I started to put the rear suspension back on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also threw on one of the EMPIs for fun. I need to get some new tires mounted on the Pedrinis.

Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
You're building my cars twin! I love updates.

I wish mine wasn't ten years behind yours!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Nov 21 2014, 05:55 PM) *

Started working on the wiring harness. I had to cut down the snorkel tube about an inch and re-glue it together to make it fit better. I think it turned out pretty good. I even found some green duck tape to replicate the original.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After fishing the rear wires through the tunnel and snorkel, I noticed a bit of a problem. I ran the harness incorrectly. headbang.gif Luckily, it was easier to pull the front half back through to fix the problem. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Also, replaced the original markings under the dash.

Click to view attachment

Kind of cool to find these hand printed #s under the dash.
We're these #s pertaining to the 914 order, or the employees I d# , or ??
Awesome restoration btw !
Marty sawzall-smiley.gif
Cairo94507
Were the original markings the chassis number stamped in the rear trunk?
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 12 2014, 09:21 PM) *

Were the original markings the chassis number stamped in the rear trunk?

I think it should have been the same, but mine didn't match.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Did your trunk floor, if you can tell, get replaced at one point as mine did? BTW, your car looks beautiful. You are doing an absolute first class job. What wheels will you be running on it when it is done?
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 14 2014, 08:08 AM) *

Did your trunk floor, if you can tell, get replaced at one point as mine did? BTW, your car looks beautiful. You are doing an absolute first class job. What wheels will you be running on it when it is done?

As far as I can tell, the trunk floor is original. The dash might have been replaced at some point. I've been trying to track down the individual who owned it prior to the guy I bought it from who listed the vin on this site before I did to find out more of it's history. Also, to find out if they know the location of the original motor.

I will be running Pedrinis, as that is what the COA says was ordered with it. Although, I do like how the Empi 8 spokes look on the car. idea.gif
rangrbob
Started dash install, and a few more things here and there. I also dropped off all the hardware for new zinc plating. Once it's back, I'll be able to move along a little quicker. Looking at my Combo Gauge a little closer, I think I'm going to have to get another. The glass is quite foggy looking. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

turk22
I bought a NOS combo gauge from AA, that is very nice. pretty sure they had more, and it was $75, which I thought was a good price for NOS.

Click to view attachment
rangrbob
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 20 2014, 08:04 PM) *

I bought a NOS combo gauge from AA, that is very nice. pretty sure they had more, and it was $75, which I thought was a good price for NOS.

Click to view attachment

Thanks. I'll check with them.
Rob-O
Looks fantastic! Can I make a few suggestions? On the combo gauge you can get that old one restored for fairly cheap. Also, on your dashboard I would suggest putting the vinyl on the upper dash first, as well as the dash pad upper piece (that covers the gauges and along the top of the dashboard). It's so much easier to put those pieces on correctly and install the whole dash assembly in the car that way. Lastly, the factory sprayed the area around the vents by the windshield black, as well as the steering column area. I'm pretty sure this was just so that if any of the dash trim around this area didn't cover the bodywork, you wouldn't see the color of the car.

Your car looks amazing. Didn't think I would, but really like this color and you're doing a stellar job here.
rangrbob
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 21 2014, 12:09 PM) *

Looks fantastic! Can I make a few suggestions? On the combo gauge you can get that old one restored for fairly cheap. Also, on your dashboard I would suggest putting the vinyl on the upper dash first, as well as the dash pad upper piece (that covers the gauges and along the top of the dashboard). It's so much easier to put those pieces on correctly and install the whole dash assembly in the car that way. Lastly, the factory sprayed the area around the vents by the windshield black, as well as the steering column area. I'm pretty sure this was just so that if any of the dash trim around this area didn't cover the bodywork, you wouldn't see the color of the car.

Your car looks amazing. Didn't think I would, but really like this color and you're doing a stellar job here.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably take you up on the advice before I get the dash and rest of the interior trim bits back from getting the vinyl repaired.

I did have a picture of the paint around the vent holes. Not much but it was there.

Click to view attachment
rangrbob
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 21 2014, 07:07 PM) *

Random question...

Hey Jeff,

The pin connector in the back is 14 pin and the one at the steering column has 12 pins.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Dec 21 2014, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 21 2014, 07:07 PM) *

Random question...

Hey Jeff,

The pin connector in the back is 14 pin and the one at the steering column has 12 pins.

Yep, that's right.
rangrbob
Picked up the hardware today. I think they turned out pretty good. I'm going to have to get a few more parts plated that didn't make it in this batch.

Click to view attachment
rangrbob
Over the past couple days, I kept plugging away at putting the car back together.

Installed some sound deadening.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Found one of the holes for the screws that hold the CPS mount was enlarged, so I decided to install some 6 x 100 nut rivets.

Click to view attachment

I also made a custom fuel filter mount and followed some advise from Rob-O, and painted the areas around the vents.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment[

My brakes from PMB should be here in a couple days. I hope to have the car back on the ground next week.!
Cairo94507
Excellent work.
Rob-O
Nice!!
Ferg
smilie_pokal.gif Nice work! Can't wait to see this one in person.
rangrbob
I got some goodies from PMB yesterday, and I installed the rears today.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also installed the rear defrost harness. While doing so, I found a brown and white wire that I'm not sure where it should go. It's a short one that comes out of the harness next to the green and white wire that connects to the heater lever. At first I thought it was for the e-brake switch, but it is too short, and I ran what I hoped was the brake wire already. Any ideas?

Click to view attachment

E-brake wire.

Click to view attachment

Rear defrost wires run.

Click to view attachment

I plan on getting the front suspension and brake lines installed tomorrow.
JeffBowlsby
Single brown/white wire in that area should be the e-brake switch or possibly one of the backpad light wires. Sort it all out with the schematic.
puffinator

Click to view attachment

What does the "4" painted on the trailing arm represent?
rangrbob
QUOTE(puffinator @ Jan 8 2015, 06:12 AM) *

Click to view attachment

What does the "4" painted on the trailing arm represent?

It represents the factory assembly line markings.

Click to view attachment
rangrbob
Today I continued on the front suspension and steering. It's coming along slowly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rob-O
Looks great. Those brakes from PMB look fantastic.
rangrbob
Spent the day test fitting the bumpers and messing with trying to get the headlights to line up.

The chrome shop didn't do the greatest job on the front bumper when they restored it. The drivers' side mount was just a bit off, so the holes didn't line up. sad.gif I ended up putting studs on the brackets and honed out the holes in the body slightly. I'm probably going to end up getting a different one.

Click to view attachment

The back bumper fit fine.

Click to view attachment

Getting the lights adjusted is quite the adventure of trial and error. Everything still need some tweaking. I've gotten them closer than the pictures depict.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Sweet! Pretty soon... driving.gif
rangrbob
Not much of an update. Today, I was chasing some parts. I tracked down a Snow Plow rear valance. It's going to need some work, but over all not bad. I got it from Tom at Carquip in Boulder. He has tons of parts and at least 8 914s in his yard.

Next time I'm there I'll get some pictures and the vin #s.

I also worked on the interior some more. I just noticed that the passenger side front carpet didn't come with grommets. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

I'm straying from oem slightly by using some basket weave vinyl from a local fabric store, and fought with the rear trunk springs! I did get them on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I had my Pedrinis powder coated awhile back. Now I'm not sure of the look. I may blast the lips and ribs, then polish them.

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Jan 28 2015, 06:23 PM) *

I'm straying from oem slightly by using some basket weave vinyl from a local fabric store...

I had my Pedrinis powder coated awhile back. Now I'm not sure of the look. I may blast the lips and ribs, then polish them.

Why go with a vinyl that won't match your seats when the original pattern is readily available and cheap?

I would wait on altering the Pedrinis until you have tires on and the car on the ground. With powder coating, you can't really undo what you are talking about doing, and you can blast them with tires on if you decide that is the way to go.

This build is fantastic, especially since you have stayed so true to its original state. If it were my car, I would rethink the two choices above, but it is your car, so I say do what makes you happy. beerchug.gif

Man, I love that gold. Can't wait to see this one finished! smilie_pokal.gif
zambezi
Polishing the ribs on the pedrinis can look good!
Click to view attachment
Erben914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 28 2015, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rangrbob @ Jan 28 2015, 06:23 PM) *

I'm straying from oem slightly by using some basket weave vinyl from a local fabric store...

Why go with a vinyl that won't match your seats when the original pattern is readily available and cheap?

I would wait on altering the Pedrinis until you have tires on and the car on the ground. With powder coating, you can't really undo what you are talking about doing, and you can blast them with tires on if you decide that is the way to go.

This build is fantastic, especially since you have stayed so true to its original state. If it were my car, I would rethink the two choices above, but it is your car, so I say do what makes you happy. beerchug.gif

Man, I love that gold. Can't wait to see this one finished! smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.