Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2013 - Southeast 914 Gathering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
poorsche914
Okteenerfest 2013 will be based in Townsend, TN aka “the peaceful side of the Smokies”.

HOST HOTEL: the Lodge at Valley View
Toll Free Reservations: 1-800-292-4844
Local Calls: 865-448-2237
Okteenerfest Room Rate: $75/night plus taxes (14.25%) = just under $85.70/night
Be sure to tell them you are with the Porsche 914 group.

Web site is now open to the public at www.okteenerfest.com

REGISTER HERE Registration fee is $70 which includes event t-shirt, Friday night meal, Saturday night awards banquet, door prize(s) and goodie bag.
Sunday's Autocross is optional with price to be announced. Will most likely be in the $25-35 range. This will be collected at the event.

This is a BYOB event. Soft drinks, water, coffee and tea will be provided throughout the weekend so you won't go thirsty. Feel free to bring the adult beverages of your choice for use at the evening gatherings. Please, no alcohol on the drives!

"If you find WCR, RRC, MUSR, ECC, TR and many other 914 events are simply too far away to attend, then chances are you live in the Southeast."

It was that observation (and a conversation with Doug aka dlee6204) that lead to last fall's Day Drive in the Smokies. In fact, for a few months before that, Bob Saville and I had talked about the need for a Southeast-based 914 gathering. You could say the Day Drive was a "test run" for the annual event to come. Bob coined the term "Okteenerfest" (see this thread) and we have both committed to making this event happen.

Announcing...
Click to view attachment

Since the 914 was built to handle, the main emphasis of Okteenerfest will be driving (we do have some awfully nice roads around here happy11.gif ). To keep it fresh, we plan to rotate the event among several different locales in the Smoky Mountain area encompassing an area from the Dragon in TN, east to Asheville, NC, and as far south as Helen, GA.

Each year we will "honor" a specific year and/or type of 914 i.e. 1.7 cars, race cars, LE cars, big bumper cars, etc to help illustrate the particular traits of that group of 914s. Depending on venue, there could also be an autocross, car show, tech session, etc

So watch this space for details as they become available and make plans to attend. Your 914 will love you for it driving.gif wub.gif

If you would like to help organize this event, please contact me via PM. The more the merrier!

Steve
driving.gif
carr914
That date is close to the time when we have the Tropical Ramble
dlee6204
I like this a lot! smile.gif There are too many good roads!
poorsche914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 9 2013, 10:15 AM) *

Yes, that time of year is pretty busy every weekend. Is the TR going to be in November again?

Though I would LOVE to attend the TR, it is too far for me to drive. Same with MUSR, ECC, and all the others. There are a lot of teeners in the TN/GA/NC/SC area just like me... would love to meet up with other 914 owners but the "big" events are simply too far away for a weekend trip.

I am hoping this event will not detract from the TR but will allow 914 guys in this region who would not attend TR any way to enjoy their passion with like-minded people while driving some great roads.

driving.gif
Tom_T
Great idea Steve & Bob! ...great logo & name too!

While I may not be back there this Oct., our daughter/hubby did end up buying that house in Candler we saw with them on the day of the last Smokies run, moved in a couple of weekends ago, & now have our 1st Grandchild due in Aug., plus my wife's brother/family are in Kennesaw/ATL GA & may move to Charlotte NC. So we'll be back to that area somewhat regularly.

I'll keep a look out, as you have quite a few 914s back in driving distance of the Southeast. Don't count out LA, MS, AL, FL & Mid-Atlantic/DelMarVA participants, cuz the WCR pulls 914ers from the full 2000+ mile W-coast WA/OR/CA & inland ID, NV, AZ .... even though they have some competing events too!

Who says you can only have one southeast 914 run!!?? confused24.gif
Go Tropical, go Smokies, go VIR, etc.!

The good thing about the Fall Smokey Octeenerfest timing is that the weather is still usually good for driving - if sometimes brisk, but most tourists are off the roads by then with kids in school - so long as you miss the local weekend fests like the one which forced the last minute change to the 2012 run.

My suggestion is to check local city/county/chamber calendars for competing events before you finalize weekend & route/stops.

Good Luck! piratenanner.gif
carr914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 9 2013, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 9 2013, 10:15 AM) *

Yes, that time of year is pretty busy every weekend. Is the TR going to be in November again?

driving.gif

Joe hasn't set the Dates for the Tropical yet, but we all liked the Date of last years' Ramble!
naro914
Hey TC
We needed to pick a date that did not no conflict with anything in the NC/SC/TN/GA/AL etc area that was already set...especially PCA and major automotive stuff...

Every weekend in September is taken up with a local PCA region event, or Pro Racing (ALMS at VIR for example)

October has Petit LeMans, Eurofest, Carolinas PCA Club Race, Peachstate DE, and a couple region's Fall Tours

November has Smoky Mtn Fall Fest, a DE at VIR and a few other Fall Tour type things...oh, and Thanksgiving...

After looking at what has been scheduled the past few years, the ONLY weekend we came up with that even has a shot is the second weekend in October. i'm sure something will eventually conflict (like I think it conflicts with PCA Race at Daytona), but we can't work around everyone.

Hopefully...this will work.

More to come!!
Joe Owensby
Should be a good time. Count me in. Let me know if I can help.
JoeO
914four
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 9 2013, 09:13 AM) *

"If you find WCR, RRC, MUSR, ECC, TR and many other 914 events are simply too far away to attend, then chances are you live in the Southeast."
driving.gif

Thanks for organizing something close.

Kelvin
matt5596
agree.gif

This is great piratenanner.gif
poorsche914
For anyone that does Facebook, be sure to LIKE the Okteenerfest FB page.
We will be posting on the FB page as new information concerning the event becomes available.

driving.gif
billh1963
Sound like a great event. Be sure to post here as well. I don't hang out on FB....I got tired of it very quickly and seldom even log in.
poorsche914
Don't worry, Bill. Info will be posted here, FB, Twitter, p914.net, and many other places smile.gif

driving.gif
rex66m
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 14 2013, 10:19 PM) *

For anyone that does Facebook, be sure to LIKE the Okteenerfest FB page.
We will be posting on the FB page as new information concerning the event becomes available.

driving.gif

I might be up for this, too. - rex
naro914
Can the mods put a highlight on this thread?

smile.gif
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
At another German Car event in Helen last year. Helen is a great venue surrounded by some even better roads. I would love to try to make it to okteenerfest at any "local" venue as well. beerchug.gif
poorsche914
The problem with Helen (and any tourist destination here in the Smokies) in October is the fact that it is prime season due to the leaves changing color. That means lodging prices are jacked up higher than usual.

I am looking at basing the event out of Gatlinburg. My wife has contacts in the lodging arena so I am hoping she can find a good deal. Second choice is Townsend though pricing there is similar to the burg.

I have the route mapped out via Googlemaps. Will have to drive it to map out local stops and such. It's going to be a great DAY of driving cheer.gif

Stay tuned!

driving.gif
blitZ
Sounds like fun, count me in. Just started brewing my Oktoberfest beer, may have to bring some.

beer3.gif
JawjaPorsche
If Gatlinburg or Townsend falls through, consider Dillard or Clayton, Georgia.

http://www.dillardhouse.com/

The Dillard House hosted a big MG weekend convention last June.

We are only 35 miles from Air-Cooled Heaven.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.php/porsche-914
hot_shoe914
I may be up for this too, especially since MUSR seems to be dieing slowly without a good event organizer.
Al Meredith
If you are planning to be in Helen , Jake's shop and R&D facilities are only 10 miles away.
Jamie
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Feb 15 2013, 10:33 AM) *

If you are planning to be in Helen , Jake's shop and R&D facilities are only 10 miles away.

Sounds interesting, so keep us updated as plans develop. aktion035.gif
poorsche914
Helen won't be this year but I would LOVE to base the event there or nearby in future years. The plan is to rotate the event through several areas so the event stays fresh. Again, the biggest issue is that time of year being high season in all the usual tourist spots in the mountains. Will have to see what kind of lodging rate people are willing to pay. Personally, I wouldn't care to spend a bit more for a nice location.

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 15 2013, 08:53 AM) *
I may be up for this too, especially since MUSR seems to be dieing slowly without a good event organizer.

Would love to have you and your girls join us, Shoe.

driving.gif
Mblizzard
I am local to east TN. Let me know if I can help. I hope to have my 914 sorted enough by then to attend.
trojanhorsepower
I am in, if I can bring the blue car again:(

I will put it on the calender.

Thanks for organizing this!
poorsche914
Bring whatever car will get you here and then find a 914 with an empty passenger seat and get in. I did that at MUSR11 and ended up riding around in a real 916 w00t.gif

driving.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Jamie @ Feb 15 2013, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Feb 15 2013, 10:33 AM) *

Sounds interesting, so keep us updated as plans develop. aktion035.gif

October is filled for me most every year very early on and we are generally crazy busy in the fall. Helen is a decent venue, but has limited lodging, the area around Sevierville/ Pigeon Forge is a different story as rooms are cheaper and more abundant.

Helen has turned into a haven for bikers, I am 7 miles away and don't even want to go there.
poorsche914
Bob and I will be doing a pre-run of the Okteenerfest full day route this Saturday. driving.gif 180+ miles biggrin.gif
Should have lodging nailed down in the next couple weeks. cheer.gif
Then on to food chowtime.gif and awards smilie_pokal.gif and everything else wacko.gif
Tentative Itinerary:
Thursday afternoon: begin registration/meet-n-greet
Friday: all day drive "Der Nebelbergring"
Saturday: people's choice car show; lunch; choice of 3 driving routes; possible tech session; end the day with banquet and awards
Sunday: autocross for those who don't have to hurry back home (some of you may have Monday off)

Will be looking for volunteers to help in a variety of areas such as reaching out to sponsors for give-aways, goodie bag items, etc; awards ideas; marketing to your area (flyers, emails, etc); and so on.

popcorn[1].gif
Mblizzard
Steve I wish my car was in less pieces so I could go! But I will be there in October. Let me know what you need help with.
TheCabinetmaker
When I first read the title I thought someone was having a gathering in Ok.
Personally, I never liked the moniker of "teener"s with or cars.
poorsche914
Thanks, Mike. Will be contacting you once I have lodging secured.

Glad to see you got those carbs figured out.

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 17 2013, 07:14 AM) *
When I first read the title I thought someone was having a gathering in Ok.
Personally, I never liked the moniker of "teener"s with or cars.

Curt - I have been back and forth on the term "teener" but it fits for this name smile.gif

driving.gif
914_teener
What ever happened to Teenergeddon?

Go on its way of the Mayan calendar?

That was the coolest t-shirt.

Have fun.
poorsche914
A preview of Stages 1 and 2. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruZ9ti7IZRo

driving.gif
Thanks for sharing Steve....

Love the x2 Tail run.....I assume first part is on BlueRidge Parkway?
I would think that is about what it looks on a crotch rocket??
JawjaPorsche
Cool! beerchug.gif
Mblizzard
If that first part was the foothills parkway I have ridden it many times on my bike. Really looking forward to this. Hope my car is!
JFJ914
Steve, now you know what the road looked like to me while chasing you and George in the 916!
poorsche914
First part was Foothills Parkway. Fast part was the Dragon X6 blink.gif

My wife is working on finalizing lodging and once that is done, I will post that along with registration info. October is going to be here before we know it piratenanner.gif

driving.gif
okieflyr
Steve, My wife Leesa and I were out there last week and weekend and had a blast! We would end up eating and resting over at the Dragon pit for BBQ(129&72) and visit with Dennis the owner. He had all kinds of interest in the 914 since he drives an open rail streetbuggy called The Bone Collector . Depending on the group size it may be a viable rest/ lunch point, but parking may be a little tight if not planned.

It is a worthwhile drive event even from Philly biggrin.gif
poorsche914
Kevin,

I have talked with Dennis before but never realized he has a rail. The Dragon Pitt is actually not along any of the planned routes but that shouldn't stop anyone from going there for lunch one day. I hear it is really good.
I wish his accommodations were larger because that would be a great place to stay. BTW, did you notice the large US129Photos banners out by the road? I designed those smile.gif

Hope to see you in the fall,
steve

driving.gif
okieflyr
BTW, did you notice the large US129Photos banners out by the road? I designed those smile.gif

/quote]

Couldn't miss them! The photo business is really heating up down there smile.gif
hot_shoe914
Hmmm, I wonder if this would be fun. A long way to go just for a few twisties. What kind of people would make this trip? idea.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 22 2013, 09:44 PM) *
Hmmm, I wonder if this would be fun. A long way to go just for a few twisties. What kind of people would make this trip? idea.gif

No one in their right mind would make such a trip to drive on dangerous, twisted mountain roads. wacko.gif
On the other hand, those who are afflicted by "teeneritis" may find it difficult to resist the urge to congregate with others who share the sickness. For the seriously ill, all running 914s in their possession will be driven or towed in an effort help feed the poor souls who must leave their cars at home on jack stands.

See you in the fall happy11.gif

driving.gif
naro914
Wow Steve, great video...didn't know I drove that fast!

Anyway, everyone needs to tell every 914 owner they know that this will be an event not to miss. Lots of driving, socializing, driving some more, and having lots of fun.

Car show is going to be low key for a couple reasons: 1) Steve and I who are running this are NOT Concours people and this is NOT a Concours event...and 2)...after a day of driving, not sure how many of you are going to get up at O-Dark-30 to clean your cars (I'm sure there are a few of you sickos out there).

After a day in the car together, we came up with all kinds of fun awards and ideas... smile.gif

Some of the roads are very twisty, some are long sweeping, most are in extremely beautiful parts of the country so your passenger will never get tired of the scenery!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!
poorsche914
BREAKING NEWS.....
Lodging is all but finalized. piratenanner.gif
The first Okteenerfest will be based in Townsend, TN aka "the peaceful side of the Smokies"
Rooms are going to be in the $75+ range which is FANTASTIC considering it will be peak season in the Smokies aktion035.gif
Found out the owner has a friend who is restoring a 914 cheer.gif and is looking forward to joining in on the fun.

I will be working on other details including registration info, costs, etc so start making plans now to attend. w00t.gif

driving.gif

Bob... yeah, it didn't seem that fast when sitting inside the car happy11.gif
naro914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 23 2013, 06:01 PM) *

BREAKING NEWS.....
Lodging is all but finalized. piratenanner.gif

Cool!
the place we discussed?
poorsche914
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 23 2013, 06:06 PM) *
Cool!
the place we discussed?

The very one biggrin.gif
How does steak on the barby sound idea.gif

driving.gif
hot_shoe914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.