Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just another progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
xsboost90
got some work done tonite, painted the gas tank, installed the heater box under the hood and made some rubber blocks to set the tank on out of the rollover pads of a 924s i parted out. Finally got the pieces all put together and set the tank in. I found the piece the strap sets on after this pic so now its installed correctly.
xsboost90
also bought some black carpet for in front of the tank to glue on. Check out this "monster garage freebie" i received from the fire extingisher guy that did our safety inservices at work.
rick 918-S
Sweet, Nice progress clap.gif
CptTripps
Looking good Dan...

I figure whoever (you or me) finishes first, has to drive to the other's house and stay till they are finished. idea.gif
Gint
You know, the more I see that two-tone, the more I like it. Looks great! You're making good progress.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Gint @ May 6 2005, 09:13 AM)
You know, the more I see that two-tone, the more I like it. Looks great! You're making good progress.

agree.gif

see, ANYTHING can work if it's done properly...

you are doing great XS!
xsboost90
updates!! SLow progress on the car but i have the carpet on the wall in front of the gas tank installed, the rubber trim all around the doors and roof all installed and the trans is now connected to the motor. Jest need to add some engine mounts and slap er in!
xsboost90
trans...
xsboost90
got the motor in tonite! smilie_pokal.gif Time to start hooking wires up, expect some questions, my haynes manual sucks!
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 11 2005, 09:53 PM)
got the motor in tonite! smilie_pokal.gif Time to start hooking wires up, expect some questions, my haynes manual sucks!

ALL of our Haynes manuals suck...

It's not that hard...I did it a few weeks ago...If *I* can do it, anyone can!
xsboost90
simple yes, but the wires on the old motor and the new motor are not exactly the same. We'll see if i have everything i need... anyone have a coil hold down braket?
xsboost90
mo progress tonite. Wiring up the motor and mounted my xr700 in the trunk. Check out how low the rear is now!
xsboost90
the ignition unit.
xsboost90
wires hidden under the unit and through the panel.
Dead Air
I really like the color of your silver paint, what is it? Maybe it's already in the thread?
xsboost90
House of Colors- SHIMRON silver glamour metallic i think its BC02.
SGB
Hey Dan!
smash.gif time for an update!!

welder.gif also time to fix yer avatar so the two tone matches (black on top)......
xsboost90
got almost everything wired up besides the one green wire that is i think for the temp guage. Prob. going to have to get new ignition wires since these seem too short. confused24.gif I put my new battery tray in and the old battery to test fit. Couldnt help myself and i hooked it up and cranked the motor a couple times over to see if everything was working. Fuel pump ran, blinkers worked, engine turned, brake lights do not work?????not sure why. Is the brake light switch just the one on the mc? That should be new and hooked up.

Still waiting for my dist hold down to show up before i can put the distributor back in, and ive been replacing fuel line that is NEW with some fuel injection hose that is alittle better-$80 worth of rubber hose dry.gif - even though the old new stuff says 50lbs on it. My g/f recovered my spare tire cover today w/ the black carpet i bought while i was fixing the shifter in her 924s, and i put the rubber bumper covers and my german front plate on. No pics till tomorrow, forgot to take it to the garage.

We discussed today how the interior was going to go together and my g/f is getting some yards of suede leather to cover the lower parts of the door panels and the headliner, perhaps a few other small spots. If i cant get the dist in monday, i will most likely be installing the headlight motors and such in the front of the car. After she is running and driving, the roof, hoods, valances and rockers will need to be sanded, primed and painted to match. Hopefully this will all be in the next three weeks since im pre registered for some stuff the beginning of june. Also need to get those pesky seat brakets made out of something, somehow, sometime.
xsboost90
well, i got my dist. braket today -thanks dominic!- installed it and tried to start her up, but it wouldnt crank. Turns out the starter took a crap and the batt. was too dead to start at the same time. Charged the battery, had the starter tested, drawing too many amps, volts or something. New starter tomorrow- this one has lifetime warranty. trying now to get my seat mounting situation squared away....
redshift
smile.gif

Sprint to the finish!

M
CptTripps
Impressive work man...That thing looks awesome! Those Fuchs with that paint look wicked.

That first start-up is one of the reasons I'm going to wait a few weeks before I put the optical ignition in. I want to make sure when I get it all together again, it fires right up. I really dig where you put it though...that's the spot I'll put mine too.

Keep it up dude! I'm going to be in Columbus in 2 weeks...maybe we can meet for lunch?

xsboost90
we'll see on lunch, thats a hundred miles from here! Got my starter to crank over tonite, looks like there wasnt good enough ground from the engine to the battery to keep grounded, ran a 924s ground cable from the neg- battery to the starter bolt, seems to work now rolleyes.gif Found out i was mis informed on the rotation of the dist rotor, runs clockwise, not counter. My cool race wires are junk, but the crane cams unit is getting a signal and the coil is throwing spark. Looks like its time to adjust the valves and get some plugs and wires, then see if she'll start. Oh well. Also still trying to find a way to mount my seats, working on it but man its a biatch. welder.gif
Eric Taylor
Keep at it man! She's a beauty and when she runs it's all gona be worth it. I just have got to say that is one of my favoriate 914's. Awesome combo can't wait to see it with deck lids. You should bring it to the WCC 2006 , I'll bring the drool rag.
Eric
Brent
IMHO if you went for the two tone paint, you should've kept the dials. I have the same ones (16"?), but the offset and the way the center sticks out no longer suits my desires. I would like one with more "lip". However, since I'm staying with the stock color, I am also going FUCH.

But don't me wrong, your progress and work are amazing! Doing a damn fine job! Wish I had my garage back!
-Brent
xsboost90
got the car running today, man she sounds wicked pissed! No rear exhaust yet. Seems the xr700 wasnt fully adjusted, got it fixed and she fired instantly. Also installed my euro marker lights, killer!
xsboost90
clap.gif installed
CptTripps
Keep rocking man!

smilie_pokal.gif

I was looking at my crane unit yesterday thinking 'man...should I???' I'll be interested to see what you think the performance gains are.

I may be available next Saturday if you need a hand...I'm up for a drive!
xsboost90
got alittle work done tonite, clutch cable installed, shift linkage installed minus my plastic cover im waiting on in the mail, and the ebrake cables are in but not installed. My bud cleaned and repacked my cv's for me tonite, got the ds axel in but still to do the ps and torque the splines back down again. I ''may" get to pull it out by its own horsepower tomorrow nite if i get some seat brakets done. smilie_pokal.gif

Question: my rear exhaust will not line up w/ the new motors heat exchangers. The new ones dont step up in the rear, they just go straight. THey also have a different pattern as for how they bolt up, the pattern is slightly wider. I have a show to go to in two weeks, anyone have a rear exhaust i can hang on there for a week until i can have my custom one made??? Any idea why this one is different?
mihai914
The heat exchangers pictured are for a 2.0 engine, and you probably have a muffler for a 1.7 where the exchangers would bend upwards near the end of the pipes. You should look into a Bursh if on a budget for a new muffler or you can probably post a WTB add, there were some 2.0 mufflers available lately.

Mihai
xsboost90
that would make sense, i guess someone had some 1.7 HE's on my old motor! They did bend upwards at the ends. Anyone have a stocker or something i can borrow for a week or two?
xsboost90
PROGRESS!!! got the ps axel in and welded up the last seat braket. I stuck a couple of bolts in em and backed out to the end of the driveway, under its own power!!! Did a quick clutch check and popped it at the end of the driveway and left some nice rubber marks towards the garage. Still need to adjust the brake pedal and rebleed.
CptTripps
Dude...that's great news!

Keep it up...how much more do you have to do?
xsboost90
uh...paint hood,trunk, hood, mirrors,valances, rockers

install interior..some i have, some i dont.

alignment

windshield trim, stereo, some i have, some i dont.
Dead Air
Xboost,
Now that the capt tripps is done I have to start stalking you!!! biggrin.gif
Did you post in your thread where you got the car?
Not many two tones (er...None) out there. what a great idea!!!
beer.gif
Gint
Don't make me get out the ttiwwp smiley. Give us more pics!
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ May 25 2005, 09:14 PM)
Don't make me get out the ttiwwp smiley. Give us more pics!

I'll do it!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
xsboost90
damn you and your picketing union smileys!!!!! Got some cool pics today-who am i cptTripps???
xsboost90
finally, all eight bolts holding the seats in- a real bia#ch i may add- and all the carpet its pretty much in. I took the rear window out to reseal it finally and so i havent finished the carpet where the rear pad used to be. May be making a window pad going all across the bottom of it w/ suede on it, like the door panels will be cool.gif I had to get in the zone and get some black carpet which matches the carpet kit perfectly, to fill in the gaps the carpet kit missed ,like under the dash and in between and in front of the seats.
xsboost90
my new backpad carpet...Havent put the fire extinguisher in yet!
xsboost90
back in the garage till tomorrow- man i need an exhaust to hang on this thing its too loud! I did take it out in the street and kick first gear again...man this thing is wicked!
SGB
smilie_pokal.gif
fabulous!
smilie_pokal.gif
tremendous!
smilie_pokal.gif
I wanna go fer a ride!
rocking nana.gif
CptTripps
Looking great Dan...

I'm going to call the junk yards around here today and see if I can find a 2.0 exaust for ya. You have a 76...right?

Get your hoods painted yet?

hide.gif

To answer a question in my thread...I'll be at MWC with bells on!

xsboost90
no i think im starting on the hoods etc tonite..sand sand primer primer. Gotta glue the rear window back in too, and get a thirty day tag...or another personalized..hm.

i think i found an exhaust, if not i have two more guys to call...they should have one.
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 26 2005, 07:29 AM)
no i think im starting on the hoods etc tonite..sand sand primer primer. Gotta glue the rear window back in too, and get a thirty day tag...or another personalized..hm.

i think i found an exhaust, if not i have two more guys to call...they should have one.

You aren't going to 'Glue' it in there are you?

Eric Shea did an AWESOME thread on this.

Rear Window Fix/Install Step-by-Step
Gint
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 25 2005, 09:37 PM)
my new backpad carpet...Havent put the fire extinguisher in yet!

Got a better pi of the firewall? How come the carpet doesn't go all the way to the top?
xsboost90
quote-took the rear window out to reseal it finally and so i havent finished the carpet where the rear pad used to be. May be making a window pad going all across the bottom of it w/ suede on it,

i had to trim it to fit the contour, now i have to fill in the blanks, but ill put in the rear window first. I may be making a trim piece all the way across the top of the firewall that is covered in suede eventually, that would be sweet!
Gint
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 26 2005, 08:53 AM)
quote-took the rear window out to reseal it finally and so i havent finished the carpet where the rear pad used to be. May be making a window pad going all across the bottom of it w/ suede on it,

i had to trim it to fit the contour, now i have to fill in the blanks, but ill put in the rear window first. I may be making a trim piece all the way across the top of the firewall that is covered in suede eventually, that would be sweet!

Gotchya - missed that in the text after getting excited over the pics.

I've been thinking of something along those lines myself. Let me know how it works out.

Keep those pics comin!
xsboost90
sold some 924 parts tonite and picked up some cool parts from a "local" 914 source. Thank you Doug Leggins for graciously offering up a bursh muffler- i wasnt up to the four hour round trip if i didnt have to though. Picked up this stuff for under a hundey!
xsboost90
consule fits great, not mounted yet, still need to get the exhaust and such done first.
xsboost90
also picked alittle something up at the local BMV smilie_pokal.gif wont see it for seven to ten days in the mail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.