Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just another progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
xsboost90
Yeah im still doing the two tone paint but i may be changing some things. IM thinking about something alittle brighter but without being like a f&f car. Ill prob. keep the black lower but make the top something besides silver, like candy tangerine or blue or something...dunno yet.
mirrors- i found them AFTER i bought them on http://www.springfieldstreetrods.com/HTML_...nia_Mirrors.htm
Trekkor
Good progress thread.
Looks like you are having fun.

KT
xsboost90
what if the paint scheme looked more like this????would this be porsche-lly offensive? The orange would actually be like a copper or candy tangerine color. Or maybe silver with the flames...the black would be inside the flames and the lower flames would just be pinstripe..yeah i do that too.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jan 8 2005, 07:34 AM)
heres my mirrors- manually operated no cables or anything, but they are adjustable and have little caps to cover the screws after you install everything.

I have these exact mirrors on my 914. They came on it when I bought it. They rock! IPB Image One thing though, I had the 914 painted and never bothered to check the mirror placement/adjustement (never drove the 914 before I painted it) and trusted the PO's mounting. Big mistake, they are too far to the rear of the car. Make sure to mount them ahead of the quarter window post depending on how tall you are ect. So I have to look down to see through mine. Sucks, but dang, they look sweeeeeet! IPB Image

The 944 flares, go for it. I saw one 914 like 10 years ago with 944 front and rear flares. Looked like they were made for the car! I was too young and dumb to take pic's though. But looked great.
xsboost90
got my arms all painted up tonite, will be hopefully installing them this week!!
xsboost90
well, finally got the arms and repainted struts on and put in my second set of bearings..still had some troubles with them but we'll see how they do.
xsboost90
mo pics- oh i also stripped the tar stuff out of the floor, who could forget that!
xsboost90
well did some more welding tonite, got the dead pedal and the hole behind my gas pedal welded up. Also did some POR15 treatment to the entire floor and in every hole i could find in the car.
xsboost90
po fiteain beeatches!
xsboost90
now to work on the front end and check for rust in front extremeties. Havent seen any but im check everywhere while its apart.
xsboost90
picked up my 944 front hubs tonite. These will work well w/ my 911 slotted rotors when i mount them on the 911 spindles,struts im getting and im also picking up a 19mm master cylinder from the same guy. My bud also gave me a 944 jack and jack handle to put into the front above the spare.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jan 27 2005, 08:27 PM)
picked up my 944 front hubs tonite. These will work well w/ my 911 slotted rotors when i mount them on the 911 spindles,struts im getting and im also picking up a 19mm master cylinder from the same guy. My bud also gave me a 944 jack and jack handle to put into the front above the spare.

944 hubs fit on 911 spindles???? IPB Image

are you sure?
xsboost90
according to a couple people ive talked to the inner hub part from an early 44 fits the spindle of like 78-83 911. The outer rotor fits perfectly.
xsboost90
check this out...found it on paragon-products.com

Wheel Bearing - front, inner
Fits 356 64-65, 911 65-89, 912, 914/6 70-71, 924 77-82, 924S, 944 83-86 more info
List Price: $12.95
Our Price: $9.65
You Save $3.30! Qty Add

Wheel Bearing - front, outer
Fits 356 64-65, 911 65-89, 912, 914/6 70-71, 924 77-82, 924S, 944 83-86 more info
List Price: $13.85
Our Price: $7.93
You Save $5.92! Qty Add
ft.lbs.
I mounted '85 944 hubs and rotors on '69 912 spindles.
monkei
Andrew has been eyeballing my spare set of 944 rear quarter pannels sitting in the backyard. We did some measurements a few times and it is a possibility. Maybe have to put them on backwards due to the length of the pannels.

The 944 flares, go for it. I saw one 914 like 10 years ago with 944 front and rear flares. Looked like they were made for the car! I was too young and dumb to take pic's though. But looked great.

i would love to see it! ive considered the same thing before. ive always been a fan of the 944 s2 front clip. that'd be cool to use it (sectioned??) in conjunction with the 944 fenders.
xsboost90
picking up my 911 parts tonite at the pca chili party..yippy! IPB Image
xsboost90
picked up my 911 spindles, rotors, calipers and master cylinder tonite. It looks like the mc wont work though. I mounted everything up to make sure it would fit and everything is great but the offset of my wheels is going to require me to space the front almost two inches! I used my early 944 hubs to mount the rotors and they fit fine. Now on to find another master and disassemble the front end, paint/detail, new bearings and check out the floor in the front before i can put it all back together again! IPB Image
xsboost90
got my turbo tie rods, installed the rack again after i finished welding and undercoating the front end. Waiting for my german liscense plate to come in air mail! Started installing the front suspension again tonite and hopefully have it back on wheels again tomorrow or monday so i can start body work. Im finished w/ rust!!!! Finally time to get back to the stuff i like, paint!
xsboost90
welded, sealed, undercoated and starting to install stuff, once again. I am having trouble w/the calipers fitting correctly though.
xsboost90
she is puuurrdy under der.
CptTripps
Did you scrape everything out of the wheel wells before spraying more undercoating on?

What undercoating did you use? I've got to get a lot of it, as I've got shiney new floors right now.

Keep up the great work. Maybe I can drive mine down there and I'll have you paint it too! (I'm dreading that part)
xsboost90
i tried a bunch, best out there is 3m, the big can. That stuff rocks. I did the entire front under w/ one can, and the rear w/ one can.
CptTripps
I've got a can of the NAPA stuff, the DynaMat stuff, and another off-brand. (Not that those aren't.) I'll give them all a shot on some scrap and see what looks like it'll work the best.

Is thicker better, or endurance? Did you prime first?

xsboost90
i wire brushed the old stuff off and roughed up the surface a bit w/ some scuff pads.

the 3m seems to spray out alot nicer and cover much better. It also seems to stick better than the cheaper stuff.
CptTripps
Looking back at your older posts...

Are the holes in the center tunnel something I should do? that seems like a place that rust could START rather than prohibiting it.
Aaron Cox
throw A sway abr on there while you are doing front end work wink.gif
xsboost90
oh yes, a sway will be in there before the tank goes in, im still saving my pennies and trying to decide on a 19 or 22mm sway bar. Im thinking just get the 22.... huh.gif
xsboost90
well, it took some small spacing but the calipers fit like a glove. Finally got the rack hooked back up and the parts prepped, painted and installed. Yet to get brake lines or mc yet. Now its time to prep under the tank area, get ready for a sway bar, and do some body work! Also got my euro german plate in to stick up front. Progress..i can see it coming together finally!
CptTripps
::: golf claps :::

Nice work...that's about where I'm going to be this weekend...back on the ground, ready to start body-work.

Stay pumped, and it'll be done in no time!
Dave-O
Isn't it a great feeling to get her back on her feet. Keep working, it will be driving season in no time driving.gif

David
xsboost90
time to get her all stripped for some primer/ paint. Ive been busy the last couple days w/ the chem stipper and the d/a sander getting it all stripped down. I wouldve gotten farther but the parts house w/ the sandpaper closed at 5 dry.gif . Heres the progress as of today.
xsboost90
got the quarter stipped and sanded completely, still working on the door jam though, it was brazed in a couple spots and the filler above that cracked, so now im trying to weld, grind, fill it so it wont come back.
xsboost90
drivers quarter is perfect but the ps has some damage, not too bad, just need to grind it all out and redo it just to make sure.
xsboost90
heres the doors while stripping them. ONce again the ds is pretty good, just one small crease under the paint/bodywork. The ps is slightly worse but still workable. I had to weld a couple of small pinholes
xsboost90
oh, and another toy i got today, actually its a belated birthday present, just came in... rolleyes.gif
CptTripps
Keep up the great work man...

You are 3 steps ahead of me, so it's nice to see what I'll be spending my weekends doing the rest of the month!

What chemical did you use to strip? Would you suggest that, or a 3M pad or something?
xsboost90
in most cases, when im painting a car, ill just sand it down. This thing has been redone once before, and painted w/ enamel, so i wanted to make sure it was not an issue. I used Aircraft Stripper, cant remember the name brand but it comes in a gallon. Heavy duty stuff, i had to run the exhaust fan and open a door to keep from being overcome by fumes. Now i just need to sand everything down, fix the crap underneath and primer/ block primer, paint! I keep saying im not going to strip the front fenders because i dont want to know what is under there, but ill prob end up stripping those too.
Steve Thacker
Keep up the good work Dan, you are making fantastic progress. We have a caravan to catch and from the looks of it, you will make it with no problem. Hang in there smilie_pokal.gif
xsboost90
sprayed alittle primer tonite, its just for blocking out body work, but its progress. Ds quarter looks good, two little dingers. Ps is getting close.Hopefully she'll be ready for paint before next month.
xsboost90
more primer.
Steve Thacker
Keep it up Dan,...just keep focusing on the end product.

Motivation, Motivation, Motivation....Nothing.........is more important.

The MWC is calling your name like a siren of the sea.

Ya...Ya I know... laugh.gif
OK...just cut the philosophical shit and stay with it. You are doing good.
CptTripps
What did you use for primer? Just rattle-can stuff, or is there something particular?

I'm going to start tearing the paint off tomorrow. We'll see how far I get, but I want to cover it with SOMETHING so it won't start 'turning brown' on me early.

Keep up the great work...
xsboost90
i use evercoat euro-primer, its high fill and sands very well. Not great for keeping things from rusting in wet weather, you need some sealer primer for that or self etching. More pics of progress and stuff i bought.
xsboost90
nice weltmeister sway bar showed up today at work, nice!
xsboost90
my cabinet o' goodies
CptTripps
Sweet...

I HOPE I'm in primer by the weekend. At least the first coat. I got the PPG 36.
xsboost90
mine would be mostly in primer by now but this quarter is really messing w/ me, should be able to spray some tomorrow. Got it all vac'd out and taped up tonite.
kafermeister
Dan, I've got a right rear quarter I'd sell cheap if you decide to go that route. It was cut off at the targa bar but the rest is there.

Rick
xsboost90
naw, i think i got the quarter whipped, got most of the car in primer today, front fenders, rear quarters, both trunk lids, ds door. Still need to finish the ps door and the engine cover, do some small ding repair on the fenders, etc but almost there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.